Love Like Oxygen

Time Machine ♔

 

(As if it's about to fall and shatter, clear, toward me)

"YAH!" I shrieked as someone fell on my foot. "What the hell?" Wincing, I pulled my left leg towards me; it was definitely strained. "Look what you did, pabo!" I cried, blinking back tears. "You broke my foot!"

The boy standing in front of me just stared. "How do you know that? It looks fine to me."

I grinded my teeth together. "Yah, pabo, I'm studying to be a doctor and both my parents are one already. You think I wouldn't know what a broken leg looks like?!"

"Aish, miane (sorry)," the boy mumbled. "I'll carry you to the hospital."

"Don't you even dare!" I cried, holding out a hand in front of me. "If I let myself be carried by you, I'll probably break another few bones."

(The sweet poisonous substance about to spread)

"We've given you a sleeping pill," the doctor nodded, looking at his clipboard. "You'll find sleep in no time. I hope you feel better, Miss Nam Eunmi."

"Thank you," I mumbled, my eyelids dropping. I heard the door close behind the doctor when it opened again. Too sleepy to check who the intruder vistor was, I waited for them to say something. Instead, there was only quiet. Bothered, I opened my eyes slightly and let out a little scream; it was the boy from earlier.

"What're you doing here?" I asked, shock opening my eyes fully. "You- you're a , aren't you?! Oh my- NURSE! DOCTOR! There's a -"

"Yah, yah," the boy said quickly, placing a hand over my mouth to prevent me from shouting more. "I'm the doctor's son!"

"IT'S A , IT'S A- wait, what?"

The boy rolled his eyes. "Kim Jonghyun. Son of Kim Hyunshik."

"What do you want?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "Is a broken foot not enough for you?"

"Aish, calm down, I only came in here to check if you were alright. If it makes you feel better, I'll leave." And with that, the Jonghyun left, closing the door firmly behind him.

(My old scars that have frozen white and stuck fast, even though they spread deep inside your heart)

"Yah, Shin Sekyung..." Jonghyun mumbled, grabbing the girl's hand. "Where are you going?"

"Is it not obvious?" she asked, yanking her hand away from the boy's grip. "We're-"

"Over?" Jonghyun finished the sentence for her. "Because of your pride and ego?"

Sekyung reddened with anger. "How dare you. Is it I that cheated?"

"Then did I cheat?" Jonghyun retorted. "You don't let people explain, Sekyung. And that's your biggest weakness." The girl was quiet for a long time. Eventually, she turned and went to her car, driving away without looking back.

Jonghyun was shattered.

And the worst thing was, this wasn't the kind of sickness doctors could fix.

(When I'm about to hold you)

I tensed, aware of the three burly men following me. I pinched myself for my stupidity. Why, oh why why why did I leave the bar at eleven at night? Why why why. Now, I was going to be , killed, murdered, and possibly tortured. Or worse, they would keep me and make me do things. Why why why, Nam Eunmi, are you so stupid?

One of the men coughed behind me, making me jump. Another chuckled at my reaction. Great. This is the end of me. I'll never get to be a doctor. My poor parents, they won't even see me return to London.

"Hey," one of them called out. I ignored them and kept walking. The main road wasn't far and there would be people there. "Hey, little princess, come here, we just want to see your face."

I bit my lip and started walking faster, ignoring the aching of my legs. Stupid Eunmi....

"Yah," a new voice called out. "If you do what we tell you to do, we'll let you go off easy." I rolled my eyes. Right, as if I hadn't heard that line before. "Yah, this is our last warning!"

"Nam Eunmi?" a new voice called out. I whipped around in surprise.

"N-ne? (yes)"

"Yah, what do you think you're doing?! Do you know what the time is?"

Letting out a cry in relief, I ran to Jonghyun as the men walked away.

(You're like oxygen, when I drink you in)

"Don't you like it?" I asked, glancing back at Jonghyun with a smile. "I love it here... it's so peaceful. I used to come here with my grandfather all the time." Jonghyun was quiet; he stared at scenery in front of him, taking in the mountains and the colorful shrubs dotting around. My smile faltered. "You... don't like it?"

"I love it."

The smile returned and the turned around, staring at the setting sun casting golden sparks around.

This was serenity.

Pure, clean oxygen.

(I can't breathe you out, inside this intense agony, can't you see I'm dying away like this)

"It'll be alright," I cried, wiping the tears away from my face roughly. "It's going to be fine, Jonghyun." He only stared at me, trying- and failing- to smile. "I know things will be alright," I repeated. "I'm going to be a doctor, I know things like this, you'll be fine, everything's going to be fine." His phone rang nearby and I answered. "H-hello?"

"Jonghyun? Is that you?" A frantic voice called out from the other end. "What happened?!"

"Miss Kim," I said, taking a shaky breath. "Your son's been in a car accident."

(Without you, I can't breathe, I continually grow more fatigued, you're like oxygen to me)

I grinned, slipping into the silver heels.

"Oh my goodness!" my mother cried, taking in the sight of me: the white dress that fit me perfectly, the elegant braid that was draped over my shoulder, the dazzling necklace that rested around my collarbones.... "You look wonderful!"

I flashed her a smile, trying to push away the nervousness. With the help of my mother, we drove to the church and I soon found my dad- who was, like his wife, crying profusely. "I can't believe this," he mumbled, engulfing me in a bear hug. "You're already... I can't... it seems like yesterday when you were born!" I laughed and pulled away, holding him at arm's length.

"I'm not dying, Dad, I'm just getting married."

"I know...ready?" I nodded, slipping a hand around his arm. In what seemed like only seconds, the double doors opened and everyone stood up, smiling at me. But at the front, there was a man in a tuxedo, turning around slowly. He grinned as I walked forward, never breaking eye contact. The priest at the front cleared his throat.

"Do you, Kim Jonghyun, take Nam Eunmi as your wife?"

"I do."

"And do you, Nam Eunmi, take Kim Jonghyun as your husband?"

"I do."

End.

In case you haven't noticed, the lyrics are from SHINee's Love Like Oxygen. I was inspired by Reply 1997 as well as my procrastination and refusal to do my Chem homework. Nam Eunmi isn't a KPOP or celebrity, though I made a reference to Jjong's ex, Sekung. I hope you enjoyed it! xx.