let it fall

Nimbus

He drogily woke up and went out of bed. His eyes were half lidded as he looked at the mirror. His reflection was as gloomy as himself. There were dark circles around his eyes and if there is a cosplay for Panda look alikes, he'll probably qualify. He wasn't in a good shape for the past few days and the lack of sleep had gotten into him. He sighed heavily as he pitied the man in the mirror. His head ached as he took a step back and as he looked at the mirror, his world seemed to spin around him. He closed his eyes and tried to focus, he is a strong man.

He walked out of his room and into an empty kitchen; contertop and table littered with instant ramyun packaging. He kicked a box of cereal on the floor and reached for the milk carton inside the fridge. Maybe today was not his day as the fridge was empty as a desserted island; and he is in the middle of the bustling city of Seoul.

He sighed deeply again and walked into the living room, trying his best not to trip on the littered papers and stuff on the floor. He sat on the sofa and briefly closed his eyes; why did he even ended up like this? He asked himself why as he doze off to sleep.

"I blame you Yesung.." He muttered before completely losing conciousness.

...

He lowly opened his eyes again and saw bright and blinding lights and a face he is familiar and accustomed with.

"Kyuhyun?" He slowly muttered and the person in question gave him a small smile.

"You scared us hyung. Why didn't you tell me you were having a tough time." Kyuhyun said after a sigh of relief.

"Ryeowook?" He asked, almost inaudible.

"Cleaning your apartment, grocery shopping and doing things a wife should do." Kyuhyun uttered and he smiled, it was hard though, with little strength that he has right now.

"He sure makes a good partner Kyu, take care of my bestie." He said and Kyuhyun blushed like a cute kid.


"Of course hyung, why would I even marry him if I won't treasure him?" Kyuhyun said then looked at his wedding band. But then his looked turned serious as he return his gaze to the man lying on the bed.

"Hyung, why would you torture yourself?" Kyuhyun asked and the man gave him a small smile.

"I am not turtoring myself." He started but the younger cut him off.

"You know that you are anemic and the doctors had warned you of it's progression to leukemia. Why didn't you tell me that it has already progressed to full blown leukemia?" Kyuhyun's voice cracked as he said the last words.

"I don't want to declare to the world that I am dying." He answered and the Kyuhyun was outraged.

"You sure think life is something you can treat lightly. I am really disappointed at you hyung. You are immature for your age. Go blame yourself because you are damn right! Yesung hyung should have been alive and not you! But you wasted his sacrifice because here you are trying to kill yourself the soonest time possible. And I hate you! I lost a good brother and friend because you are selfish!" Kyuhyun said, more of shouted, with tears running down his eyes. He didn't even want this conversation to end like this but seeing his hyung insensitive was too much to pass.

"I just lost Yesung hyung, I don't want to lose you too Sungmin hyung. I don't..." Kyuhyun uttered before leaving. He closed the door and fell to his knees crying as he knew in a short while, he'll lose his Sungmin hyung.

Sungmin then heavily sighed and he let out the tears he tried to hide. Kyuhyun is right, he was selfish and he deserves to die. He did things he regret now and he deserves death as punishment. He cared for Kyuhyun like his little brother and even helped him with Ryeowook, his bestest friend ever. But what he did to Yesung was unforgivable. He let out the tears he tried to hide and he just can't cry hard enough to wash the pain in his heart.

He was selfish...
He was cruel...
He was stupid...
He was in love...

But he lied to him
He lied to them..
he lied to himself..

----

'Sungmin, I love you. Please give me a chance to prove myself' Yesung begged the younger as he chased after him, one rainy night.

'We don't belong. Just stop this. I won't accept you because I don't love you!' Sungmin shouted, his back turned from the man with dark locks and fierce dark brown eyes. He then started to walk away from the spot.

"Just this once Sungmin give me a chance. Ever since we knew each other, you never gave me a chance to get close to you, to know you better, to be friends with you. I accepted the fact that you hated me but I am asking for a small place in your life. If we can't be lovers, then please let's be friends." Yesung shouted as he chased after the younger.

'I told you already, I don't love you. I Hate you Yesung! isn't that clear enough?' Sungmin shouted again and this time Yesung understood that he wasn't wanted.

"if you hate me that much, i'll let you be. I'm sorry if I troubled you.' Yesung shouted back, lips trembling as the words escaped from his mouth.

'I'm leaving in a couple of days. I guess this is goodbye Sungmin. Thank you." Yesung's last words ring inside Sungmin as he turned to look at the retreating back of the older man. He clutched his heart as he fell unto his knees. He never wanted to hurt the older, but he can't let Yesung love him, not now that he was dying.

'I'm sorry.' Sungmin whispered to the wind and pouring rain. He repeated those words as he cried along with the heavens. This was perhaps the saddest day in his life.

Sungmin knew that he was doomed the minute he got the hematology reports. He has been struggling to keep his anemia on the safe side but failed miserably in the past few months.

'the prognosis isn't good Sungmin, you're anemia is reaching critical levels. I told you to rest and eat iron rich foods. Your medication can only help a little if your lifestyle won't change.' His doctor told him and he nodded before leaving.

He had lived like this all his life and had wished that his life could end easily instead of struggling with life and death each and every single day. He never told anyone of the results, even his best friend Ryeowook. When he got the news that he had progressed into acute myolegenous leukemia, he accepted it and learned to live normal despite the threat of dying.

He was not afraid to die and he didn't take chemotherapy because he was prepared to die. But he didn't expect that he will take everything back and would want to live again, he didn't expect Yesung to come to his life.

Yesung was like a nimbus cloud, dark and dense. But Sungmin loved him at first sight, those peircing stares and timid smiles, they were addictive. But it was too late for him as the illness progressed too quickly to cure.

"there is some hope with the stem cell technology, with success rates of 50% but we can never tell since it will depend on your body' His doctor explained and Sungmin decided to take a chance to be with Yesung. But he didn't want to get to close just yet, as the chance of survival isn't that much pretty.

So Sungmin built a wall, his security and safety net when all else fails, he'll let his heart break but not Yesung's. But he never realized that the cold shoulders and angry stares would be a burden to Yesung who secretly loved him as well.  What a pity for them that they denied themselves of a happy ending.

Pushing him away, Yesung fell back to depression and that ended everything good that happened to Sungmin. A few days after they said their farewell, the bitter end to their love story came. Yesung wanted to see him one last time, even if it means a good ten feet away and behind a tree. He spotted Sungmin wandering the lonely street with a piece of paper at hand. Yesung's eyes widened as the man tried to cross on a green light.

His instinct kicked in, he dashed towards the man he loved and took the impact for him. Yesung had successfully pushed him off to the side while his body colided with the speeding metal. It was all blinding lights and pouring rain for Sungmin but the sounds that was heard were deafening. A person approached him and asked if he was ok. He nodded his head and he asked what happened. The man told him everything and helped him towards the fallen body.

His knees wobbled and he fell to the ground as he saw the blood stained body of his saviour, it was Yesung. He cried as he grabbed his hand and there he saw a ring. Sungmin's eyes froze and mustering all the strength left in his body, Yesung looked at the young man. he smiled as he saw him, drench in rain but alive and breathing.

'Saranghae' He said with difficulty then coughed blood before gasping for air.

"Don't go. Yesung Don't leave me. I love you.' Sungmin shouted as the rain poured. He hugged his fallen body, staining his own shirt with blood and rain.

Hearing those words that he longed for, Yesung smiled and took his last breath; his eyes became still and his heart stopped beating all together. Sungmin was taken by the paramedics and Yesung was tried to revive but they came a little too late to save him.

Sungmin became disoriented and he became a living corpse. He shouldn't have said it to him, if he didn't then maybe he was still alive. But if he didn't say it and he died, it'll be a bigger regret.

Sungmin stopped living the day Yesung died.

---

Sungmin didn't know how long has it been since he closed his eyes, or how dark everything was before the bright light that poured in. He squinted his eyes as the lights blinding him. When his eyes adjusted to the light, he noticed a lone person sitting at a corner, he slowly approached him and his eyes went wide.

'Hello' Sungmin's mouth agape, he knew this person.

'Missed me?' Hearing those words, Sungmin's knee gave in and he fell to the floor with a thud. the man approached him and half knelt before him. He lifted Sungmin's chin with his finger and he noticed the pendant on Sungmin's neck. He happily smiled and gave him a kiss.

"is this a dream?' Sungmin asked with glassy eyes and flustered cheeks.

'up to you to decide. wake up and leave or stay with me.' the man aswered and Sungmin debated inside him.

"If I stay, will you forgive me?' Sungmin asked and he got another kiss as an answer, this time the man wrapped his arms around him and pulled him closer to him. Sungmin instinctively wrapped his arms around his neck.

'I'm staying with you Yesung.' Sungmin muttered after they broke for air. He then smiled sweetly as Yesung grab his hand and led him into the blinding light.

As they took a few more steps into the light, Yesung let his hand go and asked again.

"Are you sure Sungmin?" Sungmin nodded and Yesung wrapped his arm around his waist and led him again.

"There's no turning back.' Yesung asked and Sungmin took a deep breath and smiled widely.

"I'm staying with you Yesung." Sungmin uttered and Yesung smiled, his eyes piercing.

"I love you Sungmin' Yesung softly muttered, his voice angelic.

"I love you too Yesung." Sungmin responded and gave the older a peck on the cheeks.

"Happy Birthday!"

---

'Clear' The doctor shouted and another jolt of electricity passed through Sungmin's body. His face was pale and lips were already blue. The nurses started pumping his chest. They did everything that they can as two souls watch outside. Ryeowook was weeping and screaming at the top of his lungs while Kyuhyun was silently crying as he held Ryeowook tightly.

They tried and tried but as time passed, not a single beat registered on the monitor. The doctor checked his watch as a deafening beep was heard.

"time of death, 1:02 am, August 24, 2013" The doctor announced and the nurses pulled every instrument that was connected to the man. they then allowed the two weeping friends to enter and say their goodbye.

Ryeowook was shaking as he held his friend's hand. He cried and cried as he shook his head in disbelief. He lost another friend. Kyuhyun held his partner tightly as fresh tears flowed from his eyes. He then looked out of the window and saw rain pouring; the heavens were crying with them.

 


A/N: This is angsty.. sorry about that.
anyway i hope you got the meaning of the title. Nimbus actually pertains to rain. there are three instances of rain in the story, these are those meeting between Yesung and sungmin; rejection, confession and reunion..

hope you enjoyed this!