Special

Goddess

YoonA sang quietly. Her soft singing and her lunch swishing around in her bag were the only noises in the quiet woods she had to walk through to get to school. Usually Yuri, Seohyun, Jessica, or one of her other classmates kept her company; YoonA had slept horribly last night, thinking about the goddess named Gyuri, and ended up oversleeping. Her mother had already left for town to help one of the young mothers in their town give birth.

 That was her mother... she always helped everyone. YoonA wanted to be just like her mother. Sweet, caring, and helpful. But, none of her friends ever needed anything!

 She was violently brought out of her thoughts when a tree fell into the middle of the walkway, barely missing her feet. YoonA's heartbeat sped up and all of the sudden she felt like she couldn't breathe. Someone....someone was behind her. She could hear whoever it was breathing--hard. YoonA shivered violently when a cold hand touched her shoulder and she began to fear the worst.

 Oh, Mother, she thought, still shivering, if only you were here....

 "YoonA."

 YoonA jumped, dropping her bag, but before she could run an invisible force prevented her. Something was tugging at her legs, dragging her back in front of the mysterious person who had followed her and touched her shoulder.

 "YoonA, it is I, Gyuri."

 Ever so slowly, the skinny girl flipped onto her back to face the goddess. Gyuri's hair was braided and she was wearing a white, see-through shirt that showed her bra and a short skirt. YoonA's eyes widened. Gyuri's attire proved she was a goddess; YoonA and the rest of the girls in her town mostly wore knee-length dresses that showed nothing of their shape or loose t-shirts and jeans. Never something like Gyuri was wearing.

 "G-Gyuri... what brings you to see me?"

 Gyuri hesitated. "I need your help, Im YoonA."

 YoonA blinked. Even though she knew it was Gyuri who had followed her and not some creepy old man, she was still mildly freaked out. "How do you know my name? I've never told you."

 "I'm a goddess! I know everyone's names," Gyuri explained as she rolled her eyes. "Will you help me or not?"

 "...Sure?" YoonA wasn't sure what exactly Gyuri, a goddess, thought a poor girl could do to help her, and being around someone so powerful and not human was making her nervous. What made YoonA agree to help was she honestly did want to be more like her mother, and this was her chance! Gyuri was the first person to ask her to help them, to think she was reliable and trustworthy enough. It was a good feeling.

 "You of course know how goddesses have official titles. Like how Athena is the goddess of the war."

 YoonA nodded.

 "Well, here's the thing. I know I'm a goddess. I remember the Heavens and all of the gods, but I have no idea what I'm the goddess of."

 YoonA stared at Gyuri with a blank look on her face.

 "And you're going to help me figure out my purpose."

 Oh, no. What had YoonA gotten herself into? And she was definitely late for school now.

 Gyuri gave her a small smile, grabbing YoonA's hand in hers and helping her off the ground. She started walking her away from school and the woods. "First of all, we need to go back to the ahjumma's house."

 ~

 Sunhwa shivered, shutting the book close. Why had she read that? Why did it all feel so real? It was like there was another force pushing her to open the book, and once she started to read it was as if she was actually there, watching Gyuri help YoonA off the ground.

 Another weird thing-

 The book turned to the second chapter as soon as Sunhwa opened it and wouldn't budge when she tried to turn it to the first chapter, but Sunhwa suddenly remembered the first chapter like she'd read it when she started to read.

 Of course Hara would pick out some demon book with special powers.

 Sunhwa's last hope was that this was all a dream. So she picked up the book, threw it out of her window, and went to sleep.

 ~

 Jiyoung woke up early the next morning even though it was a day she didn't have school. Usually on days like these Jiyoung slept until noon. She grabbed a hair clip from her container next to her bed and pulled her hair back, yawning.

 "Jiyoung, breakfast is ready!" Her mother called.

 Jiyoung grinned. At least today she would get a hot breakfast for once.

 But before she left the room, something caught her eye.

 It was the book. Hara's book she had been reading yesterday. Jiyoung blinked repeatedly, rubbed her eyes, went back to sleep, woke up an hour later, and pinched herself. No matter what she did that book was still there. It was almost like it was calling her name...

 Jiyoung decided to do what any logical person would do--she called up all of her classmates, ready to get down to the bottom of this book mystery. Because books didn't just show up in your room overnight...right?

 She had forgotten all about her breakfast.