A Goddess Is Born

Goddess

"Teacher, is this a good book?" Goo Hara asked. Hara didn't read much, but this book was different from the other ones in the library. On the cover was a strikingly beautiful woman, who didn't look much older than Hara, and she was submerged in an ocean surronded by what seemed like angels.

 Her teacher raised an eyebrow, carefully taking the book from her student. A soft smile came onto her face. "Ah, this is a very good book..."

 "What's it about?" Hara asked.

 "You know, I think you will enjoy it more if I don't tell you anything." The teacher walked away, not looking back once.

 Hara was totally confused.

 

 Her friends Jiyoung, Nicole, and Seungyeon came over. They were all carrying books and chattering as usual. Jiyoung ended their conversation to address Hara. "Wow, you actually have a book this time!"

 Nicole laughed. "Did teacher force that book on you?"

 Hara shook her head. "No, this book seems really interesting. Teacher even said it's good. I think I'll start reading it right now, actually." Something about the beautiful woman on the cover shook Hara's curiousity.

 Seungyeon gaped, and exclaimed, "Come on, guys. Let's leave Hara to her reading." Before they left, Seungyeon said, "I'm so proud of you!" She beamed at her, flashing her a thumbs up.

 Hara giggled to herself. She could see her friends walking over to Ji Eun, Zinger, Hyosung, and Sunhwa, the other girls in their class. They were all pointing at her and excitedly talking about her reading.

 Finally, Hara turned her attention to the book again, flipping open to the first page.

 "Once upon a time, in a land far away

There was a young goddess

 She was not Athena, Venus, Aphrodite, or any of the other ones you've heard of.

 Her name was Gyuri."

 ~

 "Mother!"

 YoonA raced down the street, her black hair flying behind her. Her friends Yuri and Seohyun struggled to catch up with her. Why did her house have to be so far away?

 Thankfully, her mother wasn't at home; she was at the market, picking out fruits. YoonA smiled. If she was lucky, her mother was going to be making more of her famous smoothies; YoonA loved them, and so did all of the other townspeople. People gathered at their house just to have one. It was the only reason her and her mother weren't homeless.

 Yes, they were poor. But YoonA loved her life. Her town was quiet and peaceful--nothing ever happened. Until today.

 "Mother, you'll never believe it!"

 YoonA's mother greeted Yuri and Seohyun, who were still recovering from trying to keep up with YoonA, before she replied. "What is it, dear? Did Hyoyeon learn another new dance or something?"

 YoonA shook her head furiously. "The ahjumma who lives by the ocean said a goddess has been born!" YoonA said this very loud. So loud, in fact, that everyone who was in the market turned their attention to her.

 "Omo!" YoonA's mother dropped her bag of oranges. "Take me to the ahjumma!" Yuri and Seohyun started walking YoonA's mother to where the whole town was starting to gather--all of the people who had been in the market followed--while YoonA picked up her mother's discarded fruits.

 Even a goddess being born couldn't distract her from getting a smoothie later.

 ~

 The young woman whimpered, wrapping the blanket tighter around her body. She was soaking wet and shivering.

 "I can't believe it!" Someone shouted out. People were fainting, gaping, and pushing each other aside trying to get a look at the goddess. It had been years since one had emerged from the sea foam, and everyone was shocked.

 The ahjumma began to dry the woman's hair off with a towel. "Where have you come from?"

 "I can't remember," she said, dryly, narrowing her eyes at all of the poor townspeople. It was obvious she didn't want any of them touching her.

 "So you are a goddess?"

 

 "I guess," she replied. "By the way, I have a name. It's Park Gyuri." Gyuri stepped off the couch, speaking in a loud, confident voice.

 "Please, everyone, do not go crazy over me. I am nothing special. I-"

 "Nothing special?" YoonA blurted out. Seohyun stared at her in shock. "You're a goddess! You're like, Aphrodite!"

 Gyuri rolled her eyes. "No, I am not Aphrodite. I am Gyuri. The best goddess of them all. Now, please, everyone...leave me alone!" Her voice had an echo; her presence was so strong it made the townspeople shake. YoonA was scared, honestly. This Park Gyuri was seeming to powerful. She had a feeling her peaceful town wasn't going to be so peaceful anymore.

 The ocean's waves were getting higher and higher. Gyuri's face was turning red, and YoonA could sense trouble if they didn't all leave now.

 The ahjumma sensed it, too. "Everyone, please! Gyuri-ah is very powerful! If you make her angry..."

 The townspeople decided getting a look at this goddess wasn't worth it, and hurried away from the beach where the ahjumma lived. Everyone was talking about the goddess and the men were all trying not to drool. Yes, the goddess was extremely beautiful.

 Even later that night, when YoonA was in bed, she couldn't get Gyuri out of her head. Everything about her was amazing. But, she was a goddess. Of course she was perfect.

 ~

 Hara struggled to tear herself away from the book. Never had any book made her feel this way. If every book was like this one, she'd read all the time! Her heart was racing. It was like she had been there; like she had seen Gyuri standing up to the crowd, and YoonA racing to find her mother.

 This book was creepy, and Hara wasn't liking the way it made her feel. She guessed it was to good.

 "Hara, I've called your name four times now!" Jiyoung lightly hit the back of her head. "The bell rung. It's time to go home. You must like that book a lot!"

 Hara gasped.

 "It's like your body was here, but your soul was somewhere else!"

 Oh, that was it. Hara was never reading this book again. It was obvious it had some special voodoo in it. Hara put the book back where she had found it.

 "Actually, I didn't like it that much. Sorry for ignoring you, Jiyoung." She smiled at the younger girl. "Where's the rest of the class?"

 "Waiting for us outside of the library. Teacher left awhile ago," Jiyoung chirped. She slung an arm across Hara's shoulders. "You missed it! Hyosung was doing this Beyonce dance, tripped, and fell. Her chair flipped over and everything!"

 The two girls laughed, and Hara completey forgot about the book.

 ~

 "Woah, you have a crush on Junhyung? I can't believe it!" Sunhwa exclaimed. She was talking to Hara while she played a computer game--the usual on a Friday night. Aish, she really needed a life!

 "You need to tell him, soon," Sunhwa said in a commanding tone. But suddenly, something caught her eye. Either she was going crazy, or a book had just materialized on her bed. Sunhwa's mouth went dry.

 Sunhwa searched for words. "Hara, uh, I'm sorry, but I have to go now. I'll call you tomorrow?"

 She hung up her phone, slowly picking up the book. Nope, she wasn't dreaming, and this book had definitely ended up on her bed. This was the book Hara had been reading earlier! Sunhwa could hardly breathe. What was going on? First Hara actually read a book, and now it was showing up on her bed!

 Sunhwa's brain was telling her to get rid of the book immediately. Instead, she found herself opening the book up, and beginning to read.