Chapter 1

Steel Hearts

 

A flash of silver sliced through the air, its brilliance brought out by the falling pure-white snow that it had swept up. Tall, dark, leafless trees surrounded the bare clearing, their many branches raised towards the skies, like arms of excited spectators. Fresh, untouched snow clung to them in clusters like curious children in the arms of their parents, hoping to get a better glimpse of the show. As white vapour swirled in the air, silver met silver in a loud crash, its sound deafening in comparison to the stillness that was the forest in winter.

She let out an involuntary grunt as she pushed forwards with all her might, blocking his attack. Beads of perspiration fell from her temples, turning from liquid to ice as they hit the cold, thick layer of snow below her. With both hands, she gripped the simple hilt in hopes of garnering enough strength to throw him off and unexpectedly, with a swish, the blade of the swords slid against each other, the repulsive sound of metal scraping metal ringing clearly in the quiet arena.

She charged forwards as he rounded her, their footsteps marking two trails in the snow that intertwined, reflecting the closeness their hearts yearned for that they would not allow physically.

Partnered with the intensity and focus in his will, adrenalin sped up his reflexes, allowing him to duck in time when she forward. Instinctively, he slid below and sent a wake of snow her way, as she cowered, her grip on her weapon relaxing.

Her eyes widened from the hard knock to her right hand and her breath hitched as she saw her lean sword hurtle through the air and plunge deep into the snow, just merely a few feet away. She gulped, as the sharp blade of a sword lightly grazed the skin under her chin. She turned away, lips pursed in disappointment and anger then looked up in resignation at the towering figure before her, reluctantly admitting defeat.

He pulled his sword back and returned it to its sheaf while she put her bare hands against the cold ground and pushed herself up.

Once calm, his heart rate suddenly skyrocketed and panic seeped from within his core. His eyes shifted from the glaring red spot seeping into the white to the stream that was forming in her right palm. Without a thought, he grabbed her hand in his, scooping fresh white snow from the ground and pressing it hard against her wound.

There they stood, fingers interlocked; two figures in the snow, one consumed with hurt and self-anger, the other paralysed with shock at the contact.

 

“JaeKyung Unnie!”

The tension broke as they stared at the intruder.

Chu GaEul’s words stopped in as she took in the sight before her. She turned around in embarrassment then turned back.

“I… I’ll talk to you later. Good afternoon, General WooBin,” she stuttered.

Then she turned and fled, realising that she had just interrupted an intimate moment.