Candy Hearts

Candy Hearts

 

It was that time of year again.

Cold flushed cheeks barely peaked over the thick wool scarf Luhan trudged down the oddly busy street, in no rush to get to work to start his morning shift.

“Sheesh,” he complained, shoving his hands of his skinny jeans as he shuffled along. “Why can’t everything be closed down on Valentine’s day too? It’s just as much as a holiday as Christmas with all the commotion!”

Blindly, the grumpy Luhan bumped past numerous other pedestrians, giving up on his constant apologizing for doing so for his mouth was becoming unfathomably dry. Rounding one more corner, Luhan arrives right as Xiumin, the owner of the café he works at, is opening shop.

“Good morning!” he smiles, his cheeks puffing and his eyes disappearing into little crescent slits. As much as Luhan wished to be mad for having to work today, he couldn’t hold a grudge against the adorable smaller male.

Xiumin hums a little turn as he scurries to the back and turns on the heat and electricity, the soft glow of the lights relaxing to Luhan’s eyes. The youngest of the pair then goes to hang his jacket, but the café owner is quick to stop him.

With innocent eyes, Xiumin stares at his employee with an encouraging hand on his shoulder. “You want me to get a newspaper, don’t you.” Luhan’s voice was flat, his question coming out as more of definite statement.

With a small pout, Luhan headed back into the bitter cold.

Since the moment of standing in the café, the concrete sidewalks seemed to get even harder to navigate as street venders selling last minute Valentine gifts inhabited every nook, cranny, and corner they could fit at.

“Get your chocolates here!” Women and men alike advertised, blatantly shoving cheap boxes of chocolate in the blond male’s face.

Aggressively pushing past them, Luhan’s bitterness only worsens, now grumbling out loud.

“I hate chocolates.”

This wasn’t necessarily the truth. To put it correctly, he hated Valentine’s Day chocolates.

That’s right; he was one of those people.

To him, today was single awareness, being hit on by lonely teenagers, and work a double ship at the café day. It’s been like this for the last three years.

Finally, a twinge of happiness sears through his shivering body as he reaches the convenience store, which to his luck, is impossibly crowded and blocked by a sea of spastic women.

“Would you like a necklace too?”

Luhan then finds himself struggling to the front of the crowd to see what all the commotion was. Thank god for giving him a little height.

“One necklace will be $2”

What, everyone’s going crazy over some stupid vendor?

Luhan had actually cracked a grin, a sarcastic one, but it was enough for said vendor to take notice. “Oi, you’re the first male I’ve seen in a while!”

Unfortunately, Luhan could care less about some merchant as he about faced and made his way back towards the convenience store. “Did you want to buy something?” the male had managed to drop his audience and make his way in front of Luhan.

Maybe he’d care more about a handsome merchant.

“Are you crazy?”

Maybe not.

“Do I look crazy?” retorted the stranger with a sly smile.

The barista should’ve known right then he wasn’t getting away that easily.

“Do you really want me to answer that?” scoffed the aggravated café worker as he bumped past the solicitor and headed into the small store.

Why am I lying to myself? The man’s gorgeous, especially with those dimples and-

Luhan decided it was best that he distracted himself from his current situation by ogling the artificial flowers for sale that lined the windows absently.

The stranger only took it as his chance to make a sell. “Oh, looking for a last minute present so your girlfriend?”

“I don’t like girls.”

Both of them froze, Luhan mentally face-palming for revealing something so intimate. “Oh?”

“I-I don’t like people at all.” He sputtered, attempting to mask his previous confession. He wasn’t in the mood to hear someone preach about his uality.

The stranger had seemed to ignore his cover up statement though. “So you’re gay? Cool, I’m gay too!”

The blond never knew someone could be calm and hyper the same time. What the hell has this guy been taking?

Eyebrows furrowed, the barista takes his chance at driving him away. “What happened to the group of women around you?”

As if the answer was obvious, which it was, Yixing tilts his head in confusion. “I left them?”

“Why?”

“I wanted to talk to you.”

“I’m not buying any of your stuff.”

With a bright smile and his hands bashfully behind his back, Yixing looked as precious as ever. “That’s okay, I just wanted a better look your pretty face to be honest.”

His mouth fell slightly ajar as he slowly stepped away and turned around without much of a verbal response but an almost silent gurgle, feeling his face heat up. Luhan are you blushing? There’s no way in hell you’re blushing!

“Well you had a good look, you can go now.” That’s right, don’t be affected by this guy’s greasiness. How is he to be hitting on me like some girl? I’m bigger than him and almost certain I’m older!

The café worker turned his head back to the merchant just for a split second, but that was just long enough to see the crestfallen look on his face. Unfortunately, the angel had beaten out the devil that rested on Luhan’s shoulder as he turned and faced the pouting boy, scratching the back of neck.

“Look, I didn’t mean it like that.”

Why must I have a heart?

Seeing Yixing perk up almost instantly made the blond sigh, a confusing mixture churning inside of him.

A bit of him was dissatisfied with the high probability of Yixing continuing to pester him.

A bit of him fluttered at the sight of the younger male’s brown, curly locks slightly bouncing when he snapped his up at him.

“What... what I meant was that you should go finish selling your… merchandise.” Luhan squeezed out, feeling apprehension build within him. I just want to get this stupid newspaper and go.

Yixing peered down at the duffle bag he was holding, lifting it with ease to show its light weight. “I’m almost sold out.”

This boy is good.

A crooked smile gracelessly appears on Luhan’s face as he fiddles with the loose change in his pocket. “Well I need to buy this paper and get going.” He murmurs, pivoting on his heal in an attempt to about face.

“Err…” he hears Yixing stumble as he walks away. It takes a moment for him to talk again, longer enough for the barista to pick up a paper and head to the counter to pay. Luhan is confident that the boy has lost his will to pursue him, a victorious grin on his face.

Great, I don’t have time for the cat and mouse game, I’m 22 years old for Christ’s sake.

“Good morning Mr. Lee.” Luhan hums as he digs in his pocket for coins. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Luhannie!” the old man at the register sings in return. Since Luhan takes a trip to this little convenience store almost every day for the last few years, he’s formed a little relationship with the old couple that runs the place.

The 22 year old returns the holiday greeting without much emotion, watching as Mr. Lee counts out the change he gave him. “Hey, go ahead and grab a bottle of your favorite drink and some candy, on the house.”

With a big grin, Luhan nods. “I’ll definitely take you up on that offer, thank you.”

Heading towards the very back of the store, straight to where the bubble tea is, the barista spots something out of the norm.

“Yixing?”

Said male doesn’t even acknowledge him. Normally, he wouldn’t have cared, actually after all he did to evade him he shouldn’t be caring, but the expression he boar was unsettling.

“Yixing what’re you doing back he-”

“Shh.”

An oddly warm finger was the pressed to Luhan’s lips, successfully silencing the latter. Both of them exchanged stares, more like glares, before Yixing went onto explanation.

“You see those guys out in front of the store?”

Straining his neck to peak around a shelf, Luhan spotted two rather large males posted against the store windows. Finger still pressed uncomfortably against his lips, he nods.

“They’re out to get me.”

“What the hell did you do!?” the stressed older male frantically scream whispers, the younger’s face remain stoic.

Instead of speaking, Yixing only lifts his duffle bag, everything becoming clear.

“…You little rat.” Luhan hisses, eyes narrowed as he turns his shoulder to the crook. Hand outreaching and successfully grasping the barista’s, Yixing manages to halt Luhan. “W-wait.” Yixing pleads, his warm brown orbs darting between Luhan and the store window.

With a snarl, Luhan turns back to the younger, crossing his arms stubbornly, resulting in him snatching away from the distressed male. “What? Do you want me to help you or something? What do you expect me to do?”

Yixing took a moment to breathe, steadying himself as he took in his surroundings. “Just… walk with me.” He exhaled, taking Luhan’s hand back in his. The latter didn’t exactly respond, so Yixing took it upon himself to proceed with his plan, taking his beanie off and placing it on Luhan’s head then pulling his hood upon his own head.

Duffle bag hiked up upon his shoulder, pushing against the book bag he sported on his back, Yixing reaches up, his slender fingers grasping Luhan’s chin and forcing his close to his.

“Only look at me as we walk.”

Yixing’s face was too close.

So close that his minty breath tickled the blonde’s lips.

Luhan didn’t dare turn away.

Their legs moved in sync, each foot moving forward at the same time as if they were connected at the hip. To outsiders, it appeared that they were a couple, embracing each other’s heat.

Just as the younger had silently predicted, one of the angered males had come into the condensed shop, looking for the perpetrator. Little did he know, his target was coming straight towards him.

“A little closer…” the brunette whispered, more to himself than the apprehensive male beside him, but Luhan used the little words Yixing would whisper time to time as a bit of reassurance and encouragement.

A slight setback falter Luhan’s step, that setback being Yixing bumping into the stranger he thought they were trying to avoid.

Yixing didn’t falter as his duffle bag slid off his shoulder right in front of said person, both still casually walking until Yixing heard the man gasp in realization.

“Let’s go.” Yixing commanded as he took off, fingers still firmly intertwined with the barista’s as he all but dragged Luhan through the automatic doors onto the backed-up street.

“Ah, slow down!” Luhan pleaded as he struggled to keep up with Yixing’s speed of maneuvering through people. Yixing hadn’t thought twice about doing so, knowing that the danger was not too far behind.

The blonde’s heart pounded in his throat, eyes dart to and fro, unsure whether they were about to be caught or not, either way though, Luhan was exhausted. Maybe I really should quit smoking.

A sudden change of direction rips Luhan away from his thoughts, along with the collision of his back to a wall.

“WHAT THE HE- MMPH!!” The younger, crafty male muffles the latter’s complaints with his hand, looking up at him with the simple request of, “Calm down, Luhan.”

Though a raging headache was now developing, the 22 year old could only wrap around the fact that this… boy, was pressed up against him in a small space between two buildings like a bad date, and Yixing acted as if nothing occurring was out of the ordinary.

At least though, Luhan knew he wasn’t the only one afraid as he felt the other’s heart race against his. Though the barista refused to admit it, the feeling was oddly calming.

Before Luhan could even relax, he was being pulled elsewhere, further through the little alleyway and some twists and turns until he saw greenery. “The park? How’d we reach the park?” question the older male.

Yixing only grinned. “I have my ways.”

They both ended up sitting on a bench, calming down from their previous ordeal. A wave of relief washed over the latter seeing that the newspaper was still intact in its bag. “Well, I need to get back to work.” Luhan voiced as he stretched, just about to get up, that was, until he saw the others abnormally big eyes.

“Is that so…” he sighed, scratching his neck again. Luhan found the nervous habit sickeningly cute.  “Uh, wait!” Yixing urged as Luhan turned from him.

“Yeah?”

“We just got away from them; they may still be around…”

A perplexed look and feeling came of over Luhan. “You’re right.”

I knew he wasn’t going to free me just yet.

It was if getting pulled around was the usual for the duo as Luhan let his hand be recaptured as Yixing lead him to his favorite place, the bridge. It wasn’t a very tall one what so ever, just tall enough to cross a creek, a few feet tall at best.

“I like it because it’s so small, it gives it personality.” Yixing hums, leaning against the bridge’s rail, dimples showing.

Luhan couldn’t believe himself, he was becoming interested this younger guy, this stranger, this thief, this-

“So how old are you, Yixing?” Something inside Luhan decides it’s best to block out his thoughts.

“Ah, I’m 19.” Yixing casually answers. “But uh, I’ll be 20 in a couple months!” he adds on, seeing the evident dread on the latter’s face, quickly figuring he was older. Luhan huffs, not at the mixed feelings of his age, but the fact that he was having mixed feelings about the other, even if he wasn’t planning on acting on them. Without much a reaction to Yixing’s words, he pulls himself up onto the rail and gets comfortable.

“So you sold practically all your items, eh? How’d you do it? Really how did you get sea of women around you?” Luhan muses; lightening mood as he subtly swings his dangling legs.

“Well,” Yixing starts with a grin. “I performed for them. I like to dance, so I played to some music from my phone and grooved to it. Women seemed to like it, so I told them I’d keep going as long as they bought my stuff.” He chuckles. “Those thugs wouldn’t have sold anything even if they were the only vendors around. They were easy pickings anyway.”

Yixing then pulls out his phone and turns on some music, having Luhan hold it. “Look and be amazed.”

Luhan felt that he was too cocky, but he was pleasantly surprised seeing the younger’s intricate footwork, fluid waves, and emotional, interpretive moves, creating a story to match the three minute song.

The 22 year old gave a soft smile, refusing to show how entranced he was by the little show. “You’re pretty good.”

Yes, he was going to be a little girl and hide his feelings away. He wasn’t going to be all giddy for anyone.

Not on Valentine’s Day.

Little did he know though, was that Yixing was the exact opposite.

“Luhan, do you believe in love at first sight?” Yixing whispers, avoiding calling the barista his hyung or using any respective suffix all together as he replaces his phone back in his bag.

A small sputter falls from the latter’s mouth, a derisive smirk tugging at his lips. “Not exactly.”

Suddenly, everything sped up to light speed, and Luhan looks like a deer caught in head lights as he holds a hand to his lips.

“Well, I do.” Lay responds with a victorious smile spread across his face.

“You… you just kissed me!” was all Luhan could say in this situation, unable to rap his head around anything except the fact that he felt butterflies in his stomach.

“Ha, you’re blushing! That’s so cute!” Yixing laughs, causing the older to adorably pout. “Huh? I-I’m not blushing!” Luhan grits, placing his hands protectively to his cheeks. “Especially not because of some elementary kiss!”

The brunet’s haughty laughter finally dies and a mischievous glint is now in his eyes. “Prove me wrong then.”

And Luhan did just that, leaning forward into the male he was standing in front of him. Yixing’s lips were soft and plush and tasted of cherry Chap Stick, a mesmerizing flavor that remained on his tongue after his own lips.

They must have been thinking alike as they both dive in for their third kiss, this time a tad more intimate as they open their mouths ever so slightly, and Yixing gives light butterfly down the barista’s jawline. The ticklish feeling force’s Luhan’s eyes shut, appreciating the other’s affectionate touch, having not had anything relatively close to this for a long time.

He was love deprived.

“Yah, there he is!”

Both come to a screeching halt, turning to the duo that was chasing them earlier. “Alright, stop with the little queer fest and present yourselves.” One mocks, cracking his knuckles.

In a state of panic, Luhan swings his head left to right in a hasty attempt to figure out an escape route. “Alright, you caught me.” Yixing laughs, turning to his two makers.

“What the hell are you doing!?” the latter quizzed, exasperated. Yixing only placed a hand on the café worker’s thigh, giving it a light squeeze.

“You can give me what I deserve, I won’t even scream.” He sighs, raising his hands in defeat as he takes a step forward. “But only if you let my boyfriend go, he has nothing to do with us.

Luhan bores that deer-like surprised expression again, at a loss for words. Oddly enough, the two thugs agree, and Yixing turns back to him. “Take my bag and run. I rather you have the profits than them.” he orders him. Slipping his expensive backpack off his shoulder, he says one more thing before turning back around and approaching the two older males “Sorry for bringing you in this.”

Dainty fingers gripped unbelievably tight around the defenseless book bag’s handles. Something was switched on within Luhan; a fire was lit as he watched the three’s shrinking figures, specifically Yixing’s.

He’s known this guy for only about an hour, but he feels the need to protect the boy with all his might. And just like that, Luhan hops down from the rail landing lightly on his feet, stalking the triplet who was finding someplace private.

They end up in some alleyway, where they shove Yixing to the ground, hideous slurs leaving their foul mouths. Luhan had found a large stick on the way, which he holds onto tightly.

Luhan isn’t sure at first, but a familiar voice pleading for them to stop throws him over the edge.

He takes one deep breath, retracting his weapon as he rounds the corner into the alley way, launching himself towards him.

 

“You’re good.” Yixing smirks, slightly limping as he and Luhan head back towards the park.

“A co-worker of mines knows Wushu.” He verifies, not wanting to take all the credit for his violence.

They’re now back at the original bench they sat at in the park. Luhan eyes Yixing’s condition, glad he got to them when he did. He then carefully reaches up to the younger male and wipes a bit of blood that has resurfaced.

“You’re my hero.” Yixing smiles, eyes sparkling like a damsel.

With a scoff and a twinge of pink approaching his cheek, Luhan giggles. “Don’t be like that.”

A moment of comfortable silence falls on them before Yixing digs into his back pack, pulling out a single enclosed candy necklace. “You need to get back to work, and I need to home before I worry my sister to death.” Yixing states before standing. “I need to find a bus stop or taxi.”

Luhan looks at up at him from the candy he just received, astonished by his own words he was about to speak.

“Am I going to see you again?”

His dimples come into perfect view one last time before he leans down and kisses Luhan’s cheek.

“Wear the candy.”

Yixing didn’t give Luhan the chance to question as he headed off, both of them now going their separate ways.

 

It had been three days since he saw Yixing. They days had passed by normally, besides the crazy scolding he got from his boss and Tao who was forced to come in due to him.

Hey, at least he got the newspaper.

These past few days he hadn’t worn the necklace, embarrassed by the childish treat. On the third day though, he decides to it up and wear the especially heart shaped candy jewelry.

As expected, girls and guys alike found it especially cute as they would blatantly tease and flirt with them as he took their orders and delivered their food.

It was finally the end of his shift. Luhan was both embarrassed and infuriated.

And a little heart broke.

Tossing his apron to which ever hook in a soulless effort to hang up his café apron, Luhan grabbed his jacket and made a b-line for the exit.

Suddenly, his plan was derailed as he was pulled into a nearby seat, specifically someone’s lap, lips grazing his pale neck as perfect teeth bit of a candy heart.

“So you did miss me. Don’t you play with my feelings like that.”

There Yixing was, curly brown hair, dimples and all.

 

----

I had to get this done, will do a little bit of grammar correction later. I isn't my story without some grammar/spelling fail! XD

Hope everyone had a fun Valentine's Day single (like me OTL) or not! X3

May the Layhan ship sail!