The Arrival

The Arrival

KBS Headline News

 Panmunjeom – The situation in the borderline of South Korea and North Korea has gotten more complex recently, following the announcement made by Pyong Yang that North Korea is currently preparing a nuclear test, which possibly will be held in two weeks.

 Facing the danger, South Korean military unit and the United Nations Command Security Force are currently on high alert.

 The United Nations has issued a warning to North Korea stating that the country should cancel the test.

 North Korea itself has claimed that its nuclear weapon is stronger than the previous ones.

 

** 

Seoul Shinmun

Pyong Yang – North Korea has tested the nuclear missile yesterday. The action has drawn anger from its neighbor, South Korea.

The condition at Panmunjeom is currently at stake since North Korea has declared that it will hold another nuclear test near Panmunjeom.

South Korean Government announced that it will take any necessary measure regarding this matter and will definitely take this issue to the United Nations.

** 

SBS News Update

Panmunjeom – North Korea has launched another missile which directly attacked the Joint Security Area at Panmunjeom. Many military officers have died on duty.

South Korean Government now declared that they are raising their defense mechanism to Level 1. This morning, South Korea’s Minister of Defense announced that their military is on high alert and immediately halted to each city to prepare for protection. The highest protection was conducted in Seoul.

**

 

I was lost.

 

I could not believe the news when it said that Panmunjeom had been blasted by North Korean missiles. Panmunjeom is supposed to be a neutral place where North Korea and South Korea had to act civil to each other. That place was now gone. Burnt into pieces, killing innocent men and injured many people.

 

It was times like this that made me doubt the UN Secretary General. Didn’t he do anything to prevent this from happening?

 

I sank into my couch, crying, when I saw the news reporting the aftermath of the blast at Panmunjeom. The military officers were lying there on the ground, dead. Bloods were everywhere. The building had shattered. Rice fields around the area were also damaged, leaving the villagers with nothing to live.

 

The news anchor stated that they have received the names of the victims, particularly the military officers who were guarding the area when the blast occurred. Many are South Korean men.

 

She did not mention the names. Instead, the broadcast station decided to put down a list of names and broadcast it through the news ticker at the bottom of the screen. I saw many names. I did not know any of them. But even so, I still pray that God will bless those brave souls who died defending their country.

 

Until I saw one name. His name was on the list. The list went by so fast so I did not have the chance to confirm that it was actually his name. Maybe my eyes were fooling. It could not be.

 

I ran to the phone, calling the one number I knew I had to contact in case this kind of emergency happened. Kang Min Hyuk.

 

But he did not answer his phone.

 

I tried to call Jong Hyun Oppa. Also, no answer. I immediately called Jung Shin too. But his phone was not active.

 

I panicked. I did not know who to call anymore. I was so confused. I did not want to believe anything before I could confirm it. But I could not forget the moment when I saw his name on the list. I mean, how many Jung Yong Hwa were there in the military unit?

 

In my confusion, suddenly I heard a knock on my door. Apparently it was Jong Hyun Oppa, Jung Shin, and Min Hyuk. They all gave me the same apologetic look.

 

That moment, I knew. I knew that I did not see the wrong name. It was really him, the one who I had been waiting for to come back just for me.

 

It had been 1 year and 9 months. Only 3 months before he would be discharged. And he came back lifeless.

 

My world had stopped. It felt like I was being into the black hole in the universe, without knowing any way out. I closed my eyes, praying and praying that it was only a dream. A cruel nightmare. When I opened my eyes, everything would be right again.

 

But reality slapped me right on my face.

 

Tears were flowing down my cheeks. I sobbed hard on Jung Shin’s shoulder. I felt so helpless. I did not think that life was being fair to both of us. We finally had the chance to be together after all this time. But then life selfishly took him away from me.

 

Now he had gone forever, without knowing that his feelings are returned.

 

I love you Jung Yong Hwa. Always have, always will.

 

**