A Neighbour

Unexpected Love

The boxes were so heavy back then. I really wished he’d stepped out of his apartment that day and helped me. Then I would have met him earlier than the 2 months after I moved in.

At first I didn’t think anyone lived in the apartment left to mine. I never saw anyone enter or leave and never heard voices or even music from there. It was also partly my own fault for not introducing myself to my neighbours, but I’d been so busy with setting up my home studio and go to small companies and give them some demos. I’d been rejected everywhere.

But then, suddenly one day when I came home, after getting rejected the tenth time that month, I saw him. He was so handsome and cute at the same time. Something I didn’t know was possible to be, and that was how he caught my attention. We didn’t exchange any words; we just nodded politely to each other. I then heard him rustling with his keys to find the right one to his apartment. My gaze moved to him and I kept looking at him until he locked himself in and nodded slightly to me again before going in. In that small amount of time I’d already gained interest. He’d looked so cute with his full cheeks and plump lips. I wondered about why I’d never seen such a cute boy before. Out from his appearance he’d seemed rather serious, unconfident and with a lack of life experience. He’s probably one of those types who wakes up in the morning, goes to work and then goes home to go to bed. The next day would follow the same routine, and that plain thing about him was what caught my attention. He seemed so interesting even though he was so boring, plain and just outright normal.

So to my big surprise I one day found myself standing in front of his apartment. I had some chocolate – it was either that or a bag of crisps – which I’d found in one of the kitchen cabinets. I wanted to formally greet him and introduce myself. I knew he was home because I’d heard some quiet rustling coming from his apartment through the wall that separated out apartments.

I rang the bell and a few seconds later he opened the door. He had a slight frown placed on his face, but it quickly smoothed out when he noticed me.

“Hi,” he greeted and without much more being said I shoved the chocolate to him.

“I’m the guy from the apartment next door. Here, I thought you’d like something sweet,” I said as cheesy as it was and added in my thoughts ‘but not as sweet as you.’

“Oh, thank you,” he looked at the milk chocolate I’d shoved him and smiled. When he lifted his head up again to look at me, I saw a heart-melting smile. It was the most perfect thing I’d ever seen. I wanted to capture the moment with a camera, but unfortunately I only had my memory to save it with. “Do you want to come inside? I’ve just made some tea.”

My heartbeat quickened and my palms got sweaty. I felt like pulling him into a hug and just stay like that. But I wasn’t ready; I wasn’t ready to take the chance.

“Oh, no thanks. I’m a little busy today, but maybe some other time?” I tried to postpone it. “I’ll gladly invite you to my place, if that’s more convenient for you.”

“Thank you,” he thanked for no reason at all really. “What’s your name by the way?”

“Yixing. Zhang Yixing,” I said proudly. “And your name is Kim Minseok, right?”

He nodded and I wanted to hug him, kiss him, make love to him, because he looked so perfect; the way his beautiful lips tightened together when his head nodded up and down in an approving motion.

“It was nice to meet you, but I have to go,” I tried to excuse myself away so I could scream of happiness. I’d actually talked with him and he seemed much nicer than he’d done from a distance. And not to mention his voice. It was perfect. It was made for singing. It felt so calm, and beautiful tones would suit his elegant voice. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay, just go back,” he smiled and shifted his weight to the other foot.

I smiled back and turned around to go to my own apartment. When I’d opened the door and got ready to take the first step inside, I got shrills down my spine when the person I thought had left spoke.

“Your music is beautiful,” and then he closed the door and left me standing puzzled outside my apartment with the door wide agape.

He liked my music? He’d heard my music? If he’d heard my music, had he heard my voice too then? I blushed and my heartbeat quickened.

That was my first encounter with Kim Minseok, my neighbour, where we actually spoke with each other. Now we don’t really speak with each other anymore. The only thing I ask him is: “Can I borrow a cup of sugar?” or salt or whatever. The main point is that I don’t need any of those things, I only ask for them because I want to see him and hear his voice when he hums a sweet melody while looking for whatever grocery I was asking for.

I also want to repay for the things I borrow from him, so I try to give him some of my demos, but he always declines my offer:
“I don’t need that. It’s my duty as a neighbour to help you out when you need something. Besides, you sound much better live.”

 

 


A/N: LayMin for all of you~ this was the last planned chapter.

And about the XiuHun: It's happening guys!! I've already written the chapter and it's ridiculously long compared to the others >_< I'll add it here, so stay subscribed~ ^^