A Barista

Unexpected Love

 ‘Just the usual?’

A sentence I’ve come to love. I never thought it was possible to love a sentence until I met him. On my second week of working at this coffee shop, I noticed him. He doesn’t come here that often, and when he does come, he always looks so stressed out that I just want to go over to him and give him a hug. I don’t know why I have that kind of feeling towards an older guy and to be honest; I just want it to disappear. I don’t need it, really. I don’t have time for a crush, a girlfriend, my studies and then also this job here. I would end up dying if I should have enough time to cheat on my girlfriend too, so I’ve learned to ignore the annoying feeling in my heart.

I know when he enters the shop even without seeing him doing it. The only time I get to see him is when he orders his coffee.

‘Just the usual?’

‘Yes.’

And that’s how our conversation went every time I saw him. The first time I talked with him out conversation was longer.

‘What can I get for you?’

‘Uhm… a latte without milk.’

‘You know that’s the same as an Americano, right?’

‘It’s not. The taste afterwards is better. And you put hot water in an Americano whereas you put hot milk in a latte.’

‘Why not choose an espresso then? An espresso is also cheaper.’

‘Because latte without milk has a better aftertaste.’

‘You like coffee or what?’

‘Yeah, I used to self-study it when I was younger. Probably a little younger than you, Wufan.’

And that was when I got me. When he said my name in that voice while lecturing me; he got me. He grabbed my heart and tore it out of my chest.

By I already know that he’s not planning to give it back to me. I can’t seem to see when that should ever be, because every time I see him he grabs a little tighter. The first time he tightened his grip was when he thanked me for giving him his coffee. The second time was when I saw him sipping to it and that’s how it continues. The way he holds his phone when he talks into it, the way his eyes crease a little when he smiles his stressed out smile. I know so much about him for only observing, but I still feel like I know nothing. It’s very annoying, and the urge to get to know him is also very annoying, because it only grows stronger. At times like these I wish I had no heart, because his grip only tightens.

I sometimes wish he would just disappear, but I almost always get disappointed when I don’t see him after I finish my shift. When I do see him, my heartbeat fastens and I want to scream out my love for him; my unrequited love.

At least he knows my name, but that’s only because of that stupid ‘Hi my name is Wufan!’ nametag on my shirt. But I’m actually quite thankful for the nametag, because now he knows that there’s someone named ‘Wufan’, who serves coffee, that actually lives on this planet.

 


A/N: I should just leave this here and then go away again, but now I need your opinion! Because of someone (SuichiGhei I blame you!!) this weird thought of XiuHun popped up... Would you read the XiuHun chapter if I wrote it? (I've already come up with an idea to the XiuHun. It will be about Minseok going in high school, so it'll be a scenario in his adolescence ^^ And some confessing will happen too.....)