A Receptionist

Unexpected Love

 

I see him every day. Monday to Friday. I ask him a question and he answers. I don’t know if it’s the truth he tells me, but at least I get to hear his voice almost every day. I only see him come, I never see him leave, but that’s because of my own work schedule.

He always smiles, sometimes it’s more strained than others and sometimes it hurts me to see him like that, but I have to live with the fact that I can’t change it to a more natural one. At least not until I’ve settled down a little.

“How are we today Mr. Kim?” I asked politely as he stood in front of the desk I sat at in the entrance of the entire building. I had to greet everyone and check him or her in so everyone could see who’d shown up. It was a big place after all, so the head of the company had to keep track of their employees somehow. There probably was a lot easier way, than having me sitting there and check them in, but they followed the traditions and I am not one to complain, since I get paid for doing an easy job.

“I’m fine thank you,” he answered with a small smile, probably just to be polite. “How’s the divorce going, Luhan?”

The divorce. The reason for the divorce was partly his fault. If it wasn’t because I’d begun working here, I would probably never have found out that I was gay – or biual, I’m not totally sure – and I would have been able to live peacefully with my wife and get a child or two. It’s all his fault, but I can’t seem to hate him. Since I noticed him he’s always been on my mind. Wherever I am and whatever I do, the only thing that’s on my mind is Kim ing Minseok. A businessman, working for one of the biggest broadcast stations in Korea.

“It’s going okay,” I answered nonchalantly. I didn’t even know how this news about the divorce came out, but as soon as it did it seemed to be the only thing people could ever talk with me about. It annoyed me to hell. “She’s demanding more money than I want to give her though, but I hope my lawyer’s good and can take care of it.”

He smiled one of his sympathetic smiles at me, a smile that made me cringe of pain. I didn’t need his sympathy.

“That’s unfortunate. I hope you’ll have a great day. See you tomorrow.”

And then gone he was, just like the money and future I had with my wife, or now ex-wife. I don’t even know what to call her anymore, but what I’m trying to say is: When he’s gone, everything is gone. My mind, my eyes, my hands and my heart.

 

 

 


A/N: I'll just leave this here and then go away again.....