The Black Hat Man

The Black Hat Man

 

Sunday, 14 October 2012, 2.00 pm, Paris, France

 

I still can’t believe on what has just happened. I keep on recalling all what he said but still I cannot believe the fact that I just got fired.

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Joohyun sshi… the business is facing loses. We cannot afford to pay all workers as we used to.”

“But, sir, I need to pay my loans as well from this job. Please just let me work for this business…”

“I’m really sorry Ms. Seo, but I cannot do anything. I was given this task from the president. I know you’re working diligently, but unfortunately I cannot help you. I’m really sorry…”

 

Great! Now I’m alone with no job and soon my savings will finish. Oh, God... why would this happen to me? Today is really my bad luck, isn’t it? Well, let me first introduce myself. Seo Joohyun, prefer to be called Seohyun, 23 years old, live with my best friend Jessica in a small apartment, and lastly, just got fired. I used to work as a novel writer in a company. Writing is my passion and I got inspiration from songs, views and people around me.

 

Jessica? Na’ah... she’s not a writer like me. She’s actually more famous than me as she got her own boutique for her own designs. Yeah, she’s a quite famous designer in France.

 

Without knowing, I stopped at the Seine River. I really love this place besides the Eiffel Tower. This place gives me energy to write when I was down. I decided to go to a small cafe near the river. I did go to this cafe a few times to write.

 

When I enter the cafe, I immediately sit on my usual spot, which is the table just beside the window. I ordered my favorites as well, a piece of quiche Lorraine and a cup of ice caramel chocolate.

 

Just when I take a bite of my quiche, someone caught my attention. A guy with a black hat, wearing a blue shirt covered with a lighter blue color vest and a pair of black jeans along with Nike sneakers, entered the cafe. He immediately ordered macaroons and an ice caramel latte. Then he took his orders and sit right across my table.

 

I didn’t know why but I feel weird inside me. I feel that this guy is interesting and my mind told me to look at him. He’s actually quite good looking when I see his face clearly. He got a dark brown hair under his black hat matched with his dark brown eyes. He got a pale white skin and quite well built-body. I continue staring at his good looking face until he realized that someone is looking at him. He turns his head to me and I looked away. I feel my face is getting hotter and I saw him giving a smirk to me. Well that was embarrassing, Seo Joohyun!

 

Time flew faster than usual and I saw him finishing his caramel latter and the last macaroon, then walking out of the cafe. Great, Seohyun!!! You’re wasting your time just staring at a good looking stranger!

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012, 10.00 pm, Madeline Cafe

 

“Thank you everyone for working hard today, especially you, new trainee. Good job everyone!” The manager, Ms. Hwang Tiffany, who’s a Korean as well, said to some workers including me. Today is my first day working and I guess I impressed her already. Yeah, after a month looking for a job, I finally accepted by Ms. Hwang as one of the waitresses. Well, I cannot choose, can I? I wanted to work as a writer again, but this is the only job available right now.

 

I cleaned up the cafe and walk out while putting on my coat. Yep, winter is coming soon and it’s really cold at night. I shiver while walking back to my apartment. I suddenly bumped into someone as both of us laid on the ground.

 

“Oohh... I’m so sorry...” I said to the guy whom i bumped into. As I was about to stand, a hand was offered in front of my face. I looked up and saw that familiar dark brown hair under a black hat. I reached his hand and tried to stand up. That face.... yeah, the black hat guy whom I met last month in the cafe across the Seine River.

 

“Are you okay, Miss?” the guy asked me in French with his husky voice

 

“A-aahh yess... I’m okay. I’m so sorry I bumped into you.”

 

“Umm... I need to go now.” he said and bowed to me.

 

He walked pass by me and all I can see was his back. Good job, Seo Joohyun!!! You made another awkward moment with that stranger, again!

 

Friday, 14 December 2012, 3.00 pm, Madeline Cafe

 

“Welcome to Madeline Cafe...” I bowed to a customer who just arrived

 

“Yah, Seohyun-ahh! Don’t be so formal to me...” Jessica said

 

“Anyway, you want to order something?” I rolled my eyes

 

“Aniyo... I wanted to ask you to accompany me to go to a club owned by my friend. It’s the opening party tonight, can you make it?

 

“Well I don’t think I can, I need to ask permission from my manager.”

 

“Well, try to ask her now! Palli!!” she pushed me

 

“Araseo, araseo!!! Just go sit down and order something, will you??”

 

I walk towards her office, knocked the door and go inside after she gave the permission.

 

“Ohh, Seohyun sshi. May I help you?” she asked me without looking at me but her papers

 

“Nde, Ms Hwang. May I took half day today? My friend asked me to go out tonight.”

 

“Namja jingu?”

 

“Ahh.. animida. She’s my housemate.”

 

“Fine, since you’re good in working, I’ll let you.” She said while still looking at her papers

 

“Ne, kamsahamnida Ms Hwang.” I bowed my head and get out of her room

 

Friday, 14 December 2012, 7.00 pm, white Audi R8

 

“Good thing that your manager allowed you to go with me. Dont worry, we’ll have fun tonight!” Jessica tapped my head and I just nod in reply

 

“We’re here!” She steped out of the car and I followed her. We walk inside the cafe and welcomed by her friend

 

“Oohh Jessica!!! Finally you showed up! Thanks for coming by the way. And who’s this pretty girl with you?”

 

“Yah! Changmin-ahh!! Don’t put your casanova side to my friend! Anyway, this is Seohyun.”

 

“Changmin, Shim Changmin.” He offered a handshake

 

“Seohyun, Seo Joohyun.” I replied his handshake and smiled

 

“Well, I need to see my other friends, so enjoy the party! And dont be nervous cos I only invited my Korean jingu.” He said as he walked away

 

“Seo, let’s g order some drinks at the bar.” Jessica said as she pulled my hand. We sit immediately as we reached the bar.

 

“May I have one mojito, please.” Jessica ordered hers

 

“One lemon squash, please.” I said mine

 

“Ohh... come on, Seo.... No alcohol? Seriously?”

 

“I’m serious, unnie... you know i dont like the smell.”

 

“Fine, fine!” she said as she take a sip of her mojito

 

After a few minutes, I heard a piano music playing, making everyone stop talking and stare at the pianist.

 

Gwi giullyeobwayo deulliji annnayo jageun soksagim
Geudae deullineun eodideun geugose hamkke isseulgeyo

Meolli itdaedo geudael bureuneun barami itjyo
Uriman aneun seollemi paran haneul kkeute dahaseo

Nae gyeote isseo jwoyo nae soneul jabayo
Jageun soksagimi malhaejun barami jeonhaneun mal deureumyeo

Haneullo nara oreumyeon doeyo
Modu ijeul su itjyo geu sunganmaneun
Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su isseo

Meolli isseodo geudael bureuneun barami itjyo
Uriman aneun seollemi paran haneul kkeute dahaseo

Duryeowo sumji mayo nae soneul jabayo
Jageun soksagimi malhaejun barami jeonhaneun mal deureumyeo

Haneullo nara oreumyeon doeyo
Modu ijeul su itjyo geu sunganmaneun
Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su isseo

Na eotteongayo pyeonhae boinayo
Eonjerado deo nopi narayo gureumcheoreom

Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su itjyo

 

All the guests are clapping their hands including me. His voice is really good, I really love his voice,  but still I couldnt see his face eventhough the performance is over as he was surrounded by the guests.

 

“Seohyun-ahh... who are you looking for?” Jessica suddenly asked me

 

“Ahh.. I just want to see the pianist’s face. His voice is really nice.”

 

Out of nowhere, I see his face again, in the middle of the crowd. That guy again.... wearing the same black hat. And this is the first time I see his smile. The most cool, charming and adorable smile I’ve ever seen. Yah Seohyun! Wake up! Stop drooling over that stranger! You dont even know his name!

 

“May I please have one glass of Carbenet Sauvignon?” suddenly I heard a familiar voice beside me

 

“Here is your Carbenet Sauvignon, Sir.”

 

“Thanks.” A simple reply, yet attractive.

 

I slowly turned my head and I saw him sipping his red wine. Yeah, it’s him.

 

“Ohh, Kyuhyun-ahh!!!” I heard that Sica’s friend calling him

 

“Ahh... your performance was daebak!!!”

 

“Thanks” he’s giving that smirk again

 

“Ohh, Jessica, you’re here? Let me introduce you to my friends, Kyu.”

 

“Ah.. Anyeonghasseo... Jessica Jung imnida.”

 

“A-anyeonghasseo, Seo Joohyun imnida.” I introduced myself as well

 

“Nde.. Cho Kyuhyun imnida.”

 

“Whoa, I cant believe it! You’re Cho Kyuhyun? The pianist, Cho Kyuhyun?” Jessica said. Wait, what? She knows him?

 

“Ahh.. ye... and you’re the famous designer, right?”

 

“Yep, everyone knows me as that.”

 

“And this is your..?” Kyuhyun asked Jessica while looking at me

 

“Ahh... I’m her friend. Housemate to be exact.” I smiled. Is this really fate? I just knew his name...

 

Monday, 14 January 2013, 2.00 pm, Madeline Cafe

 

“Ohh, Seohyun sshi... Could you come here at a moment please?” I heard Ms Hwang called me

 

“Yes, Ms...”

 

“I just hired someone to start entertaining our cafe with live performances every night at 8.00 pm. Could you please pick him up in this address? Unfortunately, I forgot his name, but he said he’s going to wear blue shirt with light blue vest and a black hat.” She said as she gave me a piece of paper

 

“Yes, Ms.” I replied shortly and go out of the cafe heading to my car

 

I looked at the address and drive all the way to the place. Along the way, I remembered that Ms Hwang said he’s going to wear a black hat. Is he going to sing in our cafe? Is it really him? I just then realized that it’s the cafe I usually go, which is the one across the Seine River. I go out of the car and go inside the cafe.  

 

When I stepped inside the cafe, I didnt see any guy wearing a black hat, so I ordered my usual, quiche Lorraine and a cup of ice caramel chocolate, then sit on my usual place.

 

After about 10 minutes, a guy wearing a black hat and blue shirt with light blue color vest go inside the cafe. It’s him! He’s the one who take the job from Ms Hwang. I saw him order something, then took a sit across me, again. I decided to approach him and tak my orders with me.

 

“Anyeonghasseo, I’m Seohyun, do you remember me?”

 

“S-seohyun? Ahh... Changmin’s friend.”

 

“Yes...”

 

“Please take a sit.” He said as I bowed to him

 

“Do you have something to say?”

 

“Ahh, about that, I was assigned my Ms Tiffany Hwang to pick you up.”

 

“Ahh, you’re working for Ms Hwang as well?”

 

“Yes, I work as a waitress.”

 

“I see... So you’re close to Changmin?”

 

“Unfortunately no. I dont know him well. I came to the party beause Jessica asked me to accompany her.”

 

“That’s good for you, because he’s kind of casanova guy. Better watch out for him if you met him next time.” He winks at me. HE WINKS AT ME!!! Oh My Gosh!!! I’m really going insane!!!

 

“I see... you ordered the same food last time you come here.” I tried to change the topic

 

 

“How do you know?? Have you been stalking on me?” He smirked at me. HE SMIRKED AT ME!!!! Okay Seo, stop drooling already, will you?

 

“Ahh.. aniyeo! I just coincidentally saw you order the same thing in this cafe.”

 

With that, we continue chatting and know each other well.

 

Thursday, 14 February 2013, 8.00 pm, Madeline Cafe

 

Gwi giullyeobwayo deulliji annnayo jageun soksagim
Geudae deullineun eodideun geugose hamkke isseulgeyo

Meolli itdaedo geudael bureuneun barami itjyo
Uriman aneun seollemi paran haneul kkeute dahaseo

Nae gyeote isseo jwoyo nae soneul jabayo
Jageun soksagimi malhaejun barami jeonhaneun mal deureumyeo

Haneullo nara oreumyeon doeyo
Modu ijeul su itjyo geu sunganmaneun
Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su isseo

Meolli isseodo geudael bureuneun barami itjyo
Uriman aneun seollemi paran haneul kkeute dahaseo

Duryeowo sumji mayo nae soneul jabayo
Jageun soksagimi malhaejun barami jeonhaneun mal deureumyeo

Haneullo nara oreumyeon doeyo
Modu ijeul su itjyo geu sunganmaneun
Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su isseo

Na eotteongayo pyeonhae boinayo
Eonjerado deo nopi narayo gureumcheoreom

Modeun ge da gateun haneulsaekppun iraseo
Nunmuldo heuteojyeoyo barami da gajyeogajwoyo
Geu sunganmaneun geudaewa nan kkok hamkkehal su itjyo

 

All the customers clapped their hands as the performance ended. Yes, that’s his favourite music and yes, he’s already working in this cafe for a month and we started to become friends already. We know each other already and we sometimes hang out together. We usually go to the cafe across the Seine River. He likes ice caramel latte and macaroons in the cafe across the Seine River, wine, Starcraft, witty, sometimes evil, yet nice and caring. I clapped my hands following the customers.

 

“Since today is Valentine’s Day, I will sing another song for all the customers and workers in this cafe.” He said as he took his guitar.

 

Maybe it's intuition 
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
and there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe 

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life 

There's just no rhyme or reason
only this sense of completion
and in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I found my way home
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life 

A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I found you 

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

 

With that, the crowd started to clap hands and whistle. I saw his put down his guitar, walks down the stage and approaches me with a red rose in his hand as he started singing again.

Do you remember when
I said I'd always be there.
Ever since we were ten, baby.
When we were out on the playground
Playing pretend.
Didn't know it back then.

Now I realize you were the only one
It's never too late to show it.
Grow old together, 
Have feelings we had before
Back when we were so innocent

I pray for all your love
Girl our love is so unreal
I just wanna reach and touch you, 
Squeeze you, somebody pinch me
This is something like a movie
And I don't know how it ends girl
But I fell in love with my Best Friend

 

He sang half of the song and kneeled down in frront of me along with crowded whistles from our customers. I was so speechles. Is he confessing me or what? Is he just playing prank on me?

 

“Seohyun-ahh... Est ce que vous allez à une date avec moi?”

 

“S-ss-sorry?”

 

“I said ibeon jumal e narang jom mannarrae?(Do you want to go out on a date this weekend?)” He asked again in Korean

 

“Absolutely!” I smiled as I took the rose from his hand and he replied with a hug for me, as the crowd cheering at us again.


I'm actually inspired from my own experience... kekeke...

There's this black hat man in my campus whom I have a crush on and I do stalk him... (well that's embarasing... -.-)

So yeah, the black hat man really does exists in my real life XD

Anyway, I hope you guys like it...