Follow love and it will flee…

À la carte

A twenty three year old Woohyun turned off the car, and let out a slight nervous sigh. He checked his appearance in the rear view mirror once more and smoothed down his navy blazer, and nodded happily. He hopped out of the front seat and headed up the steps of the house he was parked in front of. He approached the front door and knocked lightly, before shifting a bouquet of roses from one hand to the other. As soon as the door opened, he beamed brightly and pushed the flowers forward to the girl at the entrance way.

“Noona, I got these flowers—.”

“Ok oppa, I’ll talk to you later.” Woohyun pouted, when he realized the girl was busy on her phone, while she grabbed her bag and pulled her platform heels on. She hung up and turned to Woohyun and her smile noticeably faded.

“Oh hi Woohyun…thanks.” She grabbed the bouquet and tossed it near the shoes at the entrance way. Her hands were on her hips, as she frowned slightly, and stared at him for a moment.

“What?” Woohyun smiled. “Can’t get enough of my gorgeous face—?”

“I guess I have to change my shoes.” The girl sighed, and opted for some flats, completely ignoring Woohyun’s attempted grease. “I forgot I can’t wear heels around you.”

Woohyun looked down shamefully. “Y-You don’t have to—.”

“What girl wants to be practically the same height as the guy she’s dating?” The girl scoffed, and slammed the front door and locked it, before marching ahead of Woohyun to the car. “Seriously, you should really wear some shoe lifts. Don’t you know how embarrassing this is for me?”

“I was going to…” Woohyun followed. “But, sometimes they’re kind of uncomfortable—.”

“Whatever.” The girl sighed and stood by the car, and eyed Woohyun expectantly. “Well?”

“Oh…right!” Woohyun rushed to open the door for her. She rolled her eyes, clearly irritated, as she got in. Woohyun hurriedly sprinted to the other side and got in the driver’s seat. He started up the car, and grinned at the girl before turning on the radio.

“Ugh I don’t like this song.” The girl immediately turned off the radio.

Woohyun pouted, slightly. “But I liked that song…”

He was met with only silence. He glanced to the side, to see she was busy texting someone on her phone.

“Uh…” He began. “So noona—.” Suddenly she burst into giggles. “What?” Woohyun blinked. “What happened?”

“Huh?” The girl looked up from her phone with an uninterested expression. “Oh, nothing…”

They had only been dating for a couple of weeks, so Woohyun figured it must be another one of the guys she was dating. He didn’t really like the fact that she was dating other guys, but he told himself that he would be the one she would eventually fall for and then dump those other guys. So right now, he would just have to put up with other guys stealing her attention. Well at least that’s what he kept telling himself. But it was still hard…trying to hold onto someone, who didn’t want to be held.

××

They arrived at the restaurant, a warmly lit eatery, with coffee colored walls and copper wood chairs and tables. The waiters all wore old English style butler and maid type uniforms, and the place had a cozy feel to it. Woohyun figured such a place would allow the two of them to become closer and get to know each other more.

Immediately a short blonde man with the brightest smile approached them.

“Hi welcome to Paradise!” He grinned. “Let me show you to your seats~” He walked them past a few tables filled with couples. Woohyun grinned to himself, knowing he had made the right choice at coming to this restaurant. They sat down at their table, which was at the center of the room, right under an old style brass chandelier.

“Your waiter will be with you shortly.” The blonde man piped up cheerfully before practically skipping off back to his position at the front of the restaurant.

“Isn’t this place nice?” Woohyun asked the girl with a look of anticipation.

“Uh yeah sure I guess.” The girl nodded, still mentally engaged with whatever was on her phone.

Woohyun refused to give in, though as he grabbed his menu and scanned through it. “So what do you want to drink?” He asked.

“I don’t know…whatever.” She sighed.

“Can you please stop looking at your phone?” Woohyun pouted. “Noona, I don’t like it~”

“Uh yeah sure…” The girl waved him off, clearly not listening anymore.

“Noona, did you even hear what I said?”

“Of course I did.” The girl looked up, putting her phone down. “You asked…well it probably wasn’t important anyways right?”

Woohyun sighed, and looked down. “Yeah, I guess not….”

“So anyways. What’s going on in your life these days hm?” The girl asked with a smile, as she folded her arms on the table. “Anything interesting happen lately?”

Woohyun beamed. “Actually yeah! You know when I—.”

“Oh my god.” The girl’s expression darkened. “Look over there.” She scoffed, and flipped her straightened brown hair.

“What?” Woohyun blinked and looked behind him. “I don’t see…” He paused when he noticed a man in a butler outfit, probably one of the waiters, Woohyun assumed. He had black hair, and long bangs that framed his rather small eyes. His ears were pierced and he kept sweeping his bangs back with his slender fingers.

“That girl’s actually wearing crocs. They’re so ugly and gross.” The girl snickered, and gestured to another woman who had just entered the establishment. “And in a restaurant like this also…”

“Uh yeah…” Woohyun replied, as he turned back around. He didn’t want to admit to her that he himself owned a pair of crocs. So instead, he focused his gaze on the menu in front of him.

“Hi.” Woohyun looked up to see the waiter with the black bangs from before. He spotted the small name tag on the waiter’s chest that read Kim Sunggyu. “Welcome to Paradise. I’ll be your waiter.” Sunggyu finished and then bowed slightly, as he folded his hands in front of him. “Would you like to start out with some drinks—?”

“Yes, I’ll get a bottle of your best wine.” The girl announced.

“What?” Woohyun’s eyes went wide as he flipped the menu over to check the drink prices. “B-But that’s the most expensive—.”

“Of course it is!” The girl pouted. “You don’t really expect me to drink some cheap thing do you Woohyun-ah?”

“Uh…” Woohyun could practically feel his wallet ache. “I guess not…”

Sunggyu eyed him for a moment, catching the troubled look on the younger man’s features. He had seen situations like this many times before; girlfriends who every penny they can from their boyfriends. But the thing that Sunggyu thought was more pathetic was the guys who just let it happen. Sunggyu believed that if you’re a man, you should act like it, and not let someone else push you around.

But Sunggyu knew it was none of his business, and really he couldn’t care less as long as he got a big tip.

The girl then proceeded to order the most expensive thing on the menu and Sunggyu could only mentally roll his eyes.

“And for you?” He turned to Woohyun.

“Uh…” Woohyun looked up at him with a helpless stare and whimpered slightly. Sunggyu couldn’t help but be reminded of a puppy, but quickly shook the thought from his mind. “I-I…” Woohyun glanced back down at the menu frantically, searching for the cheapest item.

“Ah and remember you said you weren’t going to keep eating fatty stuff.” The girl pointed out. “You know I hate it when your cheeks get all puffy and your abs have gotten a little flabby lately haven’t they?”

Woohyun bit his lip and averted his gaze. Sunggyu was starting to feel maybe just a little bad for the guy, but at the same time he wanted to smack some sense into him.

Yah, don’t just let her say stuff like that to you stupid.” Sunggyu thought, as he stared at Woohyun, whose shoulders were slumping.

“Sorry noona.” He forced a smile at the girl. “I’ve gotten chubby lately haven’t I?”

Sunggyu was dumbfounded, and also more than a little annoyed. How could someone be so ridiculous?  This girl had just put this guy down and in front of a stranger no less, and here he was apologizing. If Sunggyu was in his position, he would have dumped her rude by now.

“I-I’ll just have a salad…” Woohyun murmured quietly.

“But the pasta is fresh…” Sunggyu commented, feeling really bad for the guy. Woohyun looked up at him with a confused expression. “A-And it comes with roasted vegetables so it’s not too unhealthy…”

Woohyun felt a slight smile form on his lips. Was this waiter actually trying to comfort him? “Thanks.”

“Huh?” Sunggyu blinked.

“No…it’s nothing.” Woohyun shyly glanced back down at his menu.

“Hurry up and decide already.” The girl groaned. “I’m hungry!”

Woohyun closed his menu and met Sunggyu’s gaze. “I’ll have the pasta then.”

“Good choice.” Sunggyu grinned slightly at Woohyun, before turning on his heels and heading for the kitchen.

Woohyun felt this warm feeling in his chest at the sight of the waiter’s soft smile. He watched Sunggyu stop by another couple’s table to ask how their meal was.

What a nice guy…” Woohyun thought as he watched the way the waiter typed in their orders into the machine at the front counter. He seemed so focused on it, and was biting his lip in concentration. Suddenly Sunggyu looked up, and turned in Woohyun’s direction. Woohyun quickly hid his face behind a drinks menu, and let out a deep sigh. “That was close…” He nodded.

“What’s wrong with you?” His date piped up.

“Huh?” Woohyun blinked.

“Pasta? Really?” She arched an eyebrow and shot him a disapproving look.

“But it has vegetables in it…” Woohyun grinned sheepishly.

“Yah! Weren’t we supposed to be dieting together? I don’t want to be the only one looking fabulous while you turn into a fatty.”

“But the dish you ordered has way more—.”

“Obviously I’m not going to eat all of it!” The girl rolled her eyes.

“Huh?” Woohyun frowned. “But then why did you—?” He was interrupted when Sunggyu returned with their drinks. He placed the wine bottle down and two glasses as well.

“No need for two glasses.” The girl picked up one of the glasses and shoved it back at Sunggyu. “He’s not drinking.” Sunggyu glanced at Woohyun.

“I have to drive so…” Woohyun smiled awkwardly.

“Oh, Ok…” Sunggyu nodded, and returned to the kitchen. Woohyun sighed and sunk down in his chair as he watched the girl take generous sips of the expensive wine that he paid for. Suddenly a glass of soda was placed in front of Woohyun, causing him to look up.

“What’s this?” Woohyun asked. “I didn’t order—.”

“I know.” Sunggyu replied, as he plopped a red swirly straw in the soda. “It’s on the house.”

“…Huh?”

“Don’t worry, its diet.” Sunggyu commented, mostly eyeing the girl as he said it.

But…why?” Woohyun tried to ask, but Sunggyu merely sent him a grin and left.

There were those warm and fuzzies again rushing around in Woohyun’s chest, as his eyes chased after Sunggyu.

“What’s up with him?” The girl shot Sunggyu’s retreating figure an annoyed look. “Is he into you or something?”

“W-What?” Woohyun gasped. “How can that be—?”

“Obviously you know about those types, don’t you Woohyun?” The girl folded her arms.

“What types?”

“You know…” Her eyes darted to and fro, before she leaned in and spoke in a hushed tone. “Homouals?”

“Uh…” Woohyun blinked. “I guess…but what’s—?”

“You better be careful.” The girl warned. “If you’re not, he’ll jump you.”

“Noona, don’t be weird…” Woohyun frowned. “He’s just being nice.”

“I’m just saying…” The girl shrugged. “Sometimes you give people the wrong idea and they take advantage of you.”

 “…You mean like with you?” He muttered.

“What?” The girl’s eyes widened, completely offended.

Woohyun sighed and picked up his napkin, only to put it back down. “This whole night—no this whole week…you barely paid me any attention.”

“What are you trying to say to me right now?” The girl narrowed her mascara ridden eyes. “Are you saying you’re not happy with me?”

“I-It’s not that….” Woohyun shook his head. “It’s just…it’d be nice if you weren’t always so distracted…I mean we’ve never even had a proper conversation.”

“You know if you’re so unhappy, then why didn’t you say it earlier?” She shot up and threw her napkin against the table.

Sunggyu was just about to approach them with their meals on a platter. But halted in his footsteps, when Woohyun stood up as well.

“F-Fine! I’m unhappy!” Woohyun blurted out. “You never even look at me, and you always ignore me when you get a phone call from one of those other guys you’re dating! And I don’t like that you date so many other guys while you’re dating me!”

“Is that so?!” The girl scoffed.

“And you’re never happy with the way I look! I’m tired of dieting and skipping meals!”

“So? I’m also dieting! It’s not like you’re the only one who—!”

“But I never said you should diet!” Woohyun interrupted. “I’ve always told you that I thought you looked pretty anyways! But you always put me down! Aren’t people who like each other supposed to support each other?”

“Look here…” The girl pointed a finger at him. “I think you’re mistaken about something…I don’t like you.”

“What?” Woohyun’s breath hitched.

“I mean c’mon! We only dated each other for two weeks. It was just something to pass the time. It’s not like it meant anything. It was supposed to be just for fun.”

“But…” Woohyun looked down. “I-It meant something to me….”

“Ok, this is too much for me.” The girl sighed and shook her head. “I can’t handle this. I’m sorry, goodbye Woohyun.” She finished and walked out of the restaurant, leaving Woohyun standing there, with all eyes in the room on him.

Woohyun bit his lip, to control his emotions. He hurriedly rushed out of the restaurant and into the dirty alley way beside the restaurant’s dumpster. He hunched over, covering his head with his hands, as he shivered slightly. He knew it somewhere deep inside of him. That she never really cared for him. He felt so stupid. Of course she didn’t. It was so obvious. Everyone else could see it. He was just some desperate loser, latching onto someone, who didn’t even like him. That’s all he could think, as his eyes became watery, and his chest ached. He honestly felt worse, but not that she had dumped him, but more that he had made such a big fool of himself for two long weeks.

Suddenly he felt something heavy and warm on his back, and glanced to the side—still keeping his head down—to see a pair of shiny black shoes there. His eyes traveled upwards to see Sunggyu kneeling down beside him, and draping his butler jacket over Woohyun’s back.

“Here.” He handed Woohyun a small Styrofoam cup of coffee.

“I-I’m sorry…” Woohyun mumbled and kept his eyes on the dirty cement ground. “I made a commotion in the restaurant…I’ll leave now—.”

“It’s cold out here.” Sunggyu helped him up. “Let’s go inside.”

Woohyun shook his head. “No its ok. Thanks…but I’ll just go home.” He mumbled and brushed past Sunggyu.

“Wait…” Sunggyu grabbed his arm. “Uh…”

“I’m sorry, but could you please leave me alone—?”

“My jacket.” Sunggyu gestured to the article of clothing still draped over Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Oh…” Woohyun nodded, feeling embarrassed. “Right, sorry.” He pulled off the jacket, and handed it to Sunggyu, before turning back around.

“I’m sorry.” Sunggyu suddenly said, causing Woohyun to pause in his steps.

“Sorry…? Why? It’s not like you did anything.” The younger man muttered, keeping his back to the older. Sunggyu walked up to him and held his arm again and spun him around, slowly.

“That she treated you like that…I’m sorry for that.” Sunggyu explained, and then awkwardly looked away, as he let go of Woohyun’s arm. “Uh sorry, I just wanted to say that…I’ll leave you alone now.” But Woohyun gripped onto the waiter’s arms, his head down, shaking slightly. Sunggyu stared at the other’s lowered head nervously. “A-Are you ok…?” He paused when he heard slight sniffles coming from the younger man.

“I-I’m sorry…” Woohyun practically whispered. “B-But can you just stay here for a little longer?”

“Uh…y-yeah.” Sunggyu answered hesitantly and allowed Woohyun to lean his forehead on his chest.

××

“So I never did get your name.” Sunggyu piped up, while pouring himself a cup of coffee.

“It’s Nam Woohyun.” Woohyun smiled slightly.

“You’re younger than me aren’t you?” Sunggyu asked.

“I don’t know…” Woohyun shrugged. “How old are you?”

Sunggyu paused for a moment. “Guess.”

“Mmm…” Woohyun eyed the other man thoughtfully, while putting a finger to his chin. “Thirty?”

Sunggyu immediately frowned. “Yah, how do I look thirty—?”

“I was just kidding.” Woohyun grinned. “Honestly you don’t look that much older than me. I’m twenty three by the way.”

“Oh…so you’re two years younger.” Sunggyu nodded, relieved that Woohyun’s mood seemed to have improved. “I’m your hyung then.”

“Ok, Sunggyu hyung!” Woohyun replied with an enthusiastic nod.

Sunggyu unconsciously reached for the name tag pinned to his jacket’s pocket, only to be reminded that his jacket was still draped over the shoulders of the younger man.

After Woohyun’s tearful breakdown, Sunggyu had led him into the back of the restaurant’s kitchen for a cup of coffee, since they were both shivering from the cold winter’s night. Woohyun sat at the end of the counter, on a short stool that the kitchen staff used when they peeled potatoes, onions, garlic and so on.

“Sorry…” Woohyun grinned sheepishly. “That I suddenly…was like that.”

“It’s fine.” Sunggyu replied nonchalantly, as he sat down on a stool across from Woohyun. His knees brushed past Woohyun’s, causing the younger to shift slightly. “But…you shouldn’t be with people like that.”

“Yeah.” Woohyun nodded halfheartedly.

“No I mean it.” Sunggyu continued. “I don’t even know you. But...I still think you deserve better.”

Woohyun met Sunggyu’s stern gaze, and smiled softly. “Thanks.”

Sunggyu frowned, and looked down, resting his palms on his knees. “Don’t smile about this. I’m being serious.”

“I know.” Woohyun hesitantly placed his hand over Sunggyu’s. “That’s why I’m smiling.” They sat there in silence, both their gazes on the skin contact being made. “Uh s-sorry.” Woohyun immediately retracted his hand, but Sunggyu pulled his hand back. “W-What’re you…?”

“Your fingers are so short.” Sunggyu chuckled lightly, as he aligned his palm to the younger man’s.

Woohyun noticed, that Sunggyu’s fingers were definitely longer than his, but his hand itself was smaller, and his skin was just a tad lighter.

“Really pretty…” He murmured quietly.

“Hm?” Sunggyu looked up.

“Uh it’s just…you’re a really nice person.” Woohyun changed his words.

“N-No I’m not.” Sunggyu’s cheeks flushed slightly, as he averted his gaze.

“Before, you were trying to make me feel better right? When you suggested the pasta, and gave me the free soda.”

“I’m not usually like that…” Sunggyu admitted, and then muttered under his breath. “I-I only did that for you…”

Woohyun blinked. “But…why?”

Sunggyu eyed him curiously, not really knowing why himself. It wasn’t like it was the first time, he had seen a couple break up, or anything similar in the restaurant. He’d seen many girls run out in tears, over a break up, and even some boys. But this was the first time he had actually rushed out of the building even during service time, to check on a customer.

“Ah right…don’t you still have work to do?” Woohyun questioned.

“Its fine, my shift’s almost over anyways…” Sunggyu shrugged. “Besides the worst they can do is dock my pay.”

“Oh no.” Woohyun pouted.

“Actually the worst they can do is fire me, but…” Sunggyu paused, when he realized Woohyun was obviously blaming himself. “Relax, I was just kidding. Its not like I’d get fired for an incident like this.”

“Oh…” Woohyun nodded, clearly still unconvinced.

“Really, don’t worry about it.” Sunggyu patted him on the head, causing Woohyun to look up. “Besides, my boss is a nice guy, he’ll understand.”

Woohyun calmed down and smiled, enjoying Sunggyu’s gentle fingers through his hair.

“Um…Woohyun…” Sunggyu began, the other man’s name still sounding new on his tongue.

“Yeah?” Woohyun met his gaze.

“I…I hope you find someone better.” Sunggyu smiled shyly.

Woohyun’s heart swelled at the waiter’s words. “Me too…”

For a moment, all they did was gaze into each other’s eyes, and Woohyun once again felt that warm haze in his heart. Sunggyu’s warm expression seemed to melt away all the embarrassment and pain that he had experienced in the past weeks.

It was strange, he thought, that a man could be giving him this feeling.

“S-Sunggyu hyung…” Woohyun mumbled.

“Hm?”

“C-Can I have your number?” Woohyun suddenly asked.

“…My number?” Sunggyu blinked, clearly caught off guard.

“I-I want to be yours!” Woohyun blurted out, and then quickly covered his mouth with his hand.

“My…what?” Sunggyu asked.

“Uh…” Woohyun bit his lip, his cheeks heating up. “I-I just—.”

“Gyu!” A female voice rang out and barged through the back door, causing Sunggyu and Woohyun to jump out of their seats. A girl about their age stepped in and shot Sunggyu a grin.

“Yah! Are you ready to go?”

“Oh, you’re here already.” Sunggyu nodded at the girl, with a smile.

Woohyun’s heart dropped as realization hit him.

Sunggyu already had someone. Of course he did.

But what was he trying to do anyways? Ask Sunggyu on a date? He quickly shook his head, and clenched his fists.

He didn’t want be like this. Latching onto someone, getting dumped and then moving on only to latch onto someone else. He was tired of always having to chase after people who were running away from him. He didn’t want to keep trying to hold someone who obviously didn’t want to be held…well at least not by him.

“Hm?” The girl turned to Woohyun. “Who’s this?”

“Ah this is Woohyun.” Sunggyu introduced them. “Uh he’s…” He paused, not really knowing what to refer to Woohyun as.

“Excuse me.” Woohyun spoke up, keeping his gaze lowered, as he brushed past them. “I have to go.”

“What?” Sunggyu frowned. “But you—.”

“It was nice meeting you and thanks for the coffee.” Woohyun interrupted, and headed for the door.

“Wait.” Sunggyu stopped him at the door. He took out his phone and handed it to Woohyun. “Give me your number.”

Woohyun hesitated for a moment. He really shouldn’t. It was just a setup to get hurt again, he told himself. Yet he took Sunggyu’s phone and put in his number, figuring Sunggyu probably wouldn’t call him anyways. He handed the phone back to Sunggyu, who was looking at him expectantly.

“What about my number?” Sunggyu asked. “Didn’t you want it?”

“Oh right…” Woohyun took his phone and handed it to Sunggyu. “You don’t really have to—.”

“There all done.” Sunggyu handed his phone back and patted him on the shoulder.

“Uh…thanks.” Woohyun nodded solemnly. “Well, bye.” He opened the door, and proceeded to step out into the chilly night.

Only when he reached home did he realize he still had Sunggyu’s jacket draped over his shoulders.

⇔⇔⇔⇔

Its going too fast isn't it? Idk...and the girl doesn't have a name, because I don't care about her, and she won't show up again anyway :D

Thank you for subscribing! Ah...and please leave a comment~ I'd like to know what you think^^