Chapter 1

The Tree of Memories

 

 

“Come on Kairi! We’re gonna miss it!” said Kevin as he started running into the sea of trees. “Slow down! I don’t wanna get lost” I said as I started running after Kevin. In less than 5 minutes, I lost Kevin. “Where am I? I guess I’ll just start walking forward” I whispered. I kept walking and walking until I saw a bright light ahead of me. I ran towards the light and when I made it to the other side, I was greeted by a gigantic cherry blossom tree and Kevin jumping happily. “Kairi you made it! Come on I wanna climb it with you.” I was still in shock from the beauty of the tree.

 “Kevin, how did you find this?”  Kevin hugged me and whispered “I don’t know. I just knew that we belong here. Let’s go.” He carried me on his back and set me down so I could start climbing up first. I climbed half way up the tree and sat down on a branch. Kevin followed me and ended up right next to me. “The view is so beautiful. Just like you Kairi” said Kevin as I rested my head on his shoulder. “Kevin thank you for bringing me here.” I whispered. “Kairi I want to tell you something. Kairi I...” Kevin fell backwards and I missed his hand by an inch. “Kevin! No!” I screamed.

I jumped up from my bed and screamed. I was sweating and I was crying. I’ve been having that same flashback every night since Kevin has been in his coma. My brother Soohyun  ran into my room and hugged me. I cried into his shoulder. “Shhh Kairi it’s ok.” I pushed him away. “No! It’s not ok. Kevin is in a coma because he climbed that tree with me! He never even finished what he was going to tell me.” I just got up and check my alarm clock. 6:00 was illuminated across the screen. “I’ll go get breakfast ready while you get ready for school.  Your uniform is in the bathroom.” He said as he kissed my forehead. “Thanks Soohyun. Did dad call?” He shook his head and I looked down. Our dad left us alone when mom died. We only could depend on each other so he is like my dad and my brother.  It was 7:00 and I was already out the door. “I really miss you Kevin please get better.” I whispered as I looked at his picture.”