Apartment Lovers

Apartment Lovers (oneshot)

"Yah new guy! You're from Korea, aren't you?" A guy by the name of Kim Jaejoong called out to Changmin on the way to school.

"Uhhh yeah. I'm Changmin. Nice to meet you." He gave a pat on Jaejoong's back.

"Jaejoong is my name." He patted him on the back also wondering why he would act as if they knew each other for a long time.

"Cool. I just arrived here yesterday ." Changmin said. Then 3 guys came and one of them asked, "The new guy right? I heard Nakamura Sensei talk about him."

"Yeah Yunho, this is Changmin. Changmin, these three guys are Yunho, Yoochun, and Junsu." Jaejoong introduced them.

"Hi. Nice to meet ya guys!" He high fived them.

"Uhh hi. Ummm, how old are you?" Yoochun asked.

"22.... Why?"

"Respect your elders then! We're all 24!" Yunho exclaimed.

"Ohhh, then I'll call all of you guys Hyung then." Changmin smiled. From then on, the 5 of them were very good friends. They called themselves DBSK. 

Changmin moved to Japan because his father got sick. His mother wasn't able to work having to take care of the baby.  Changmin had 7 siblings so some of them, including him, had to quit high school to work and support their family. Well, the guys anyway. But there was a war recently and not many jobs were available. Changmin and his younger brother Dongho decided to go to Japan because they heard that it was easy to get jobs there. It was hard leaving their family behind, but they were doing it for them. But disaster struck as the brothers ended up separating. Dongho went to Osaka while Changmin went to Tokyo. 

So Changmin decided that once he learned enough Japanese and made enough money, he would go search for him. In the meantime, he was going to attend a school learning Japanese. It was a school for foreigners. 

"Class. We have a new person learning in our class today. His name is Shim Changmin."

"Welcome to our class." Classmates said in Japanese. He just nodded and smiled making some girls swoon. (Apparently, I heard from my mom that my dad was a player >_<)

"You think you can introduce yourself in Japanese?" Nakamura Sensei asked in Korean. Changmin was lucky to have a Korean teacher.

"Hai. Watashi  wa onamae Shim Changmin desu. Yoroshiku ne." (My name is Shim Changmin, Nice to meet you.)

"Ohhhh, Nice Job Changmin!" Junsu yelled. 

So from that day forward, Changmin studied hard to learn Japanese. But he quit school 3 months later because of work. Before that, Changmin was searching for an apartment to live by himself but they were all expensive so he ended up getting a roommate.

"Dare koko desuka?"  (Is anyone here?)

"Hai! Anata wa Kankoku karadesuka?" (Yes, are you from Korea?) someone called from the closet.

"Hai. Are you Korean?" Changmin asked in Korean.

"Yep. I'm Kibum. Glad to see I finally have a roommate to share the rent with." He put his hand out and Changmin gladly shook it.

So he also became friends with Kibum. The next day in Japanese class, all the girls were crowding over DBSK. Mostly over Changmin since he was new.

"Korean Guys must be really handsome huh?" A girl asked in Japanese.

"Yeah, having 5 Korean guys here is like heaven!" Another girl giggled.

So the 5 guys were like that for a while, they flirted and what not with the girls, until they finally decided to get serious and look for jobs. Jaejoong luckily found 5 jobs at a bakery factory so they worked there. Changmin made enough money to get his own apartment. They worked there for a while until they realized they didn't need to go to school anymore. It was tiring going to school in the morning and then working in the evening until 2 in the morning. 

So Changmin said bye to Kibum. "Sayonara Kibum! It was a fun time living with you. Good luck with your rent!" And with that, he left to his own apartment.  "I finally have my own place to live!" Changmin shouted after seeing his apartment room number. 93

"Damaru!" Someone from above his apartment shouted. He looked up to see a girl. (Shut up!)

"Konnichiwa! I'm your new neighbor!"

"Oh Konnichiwa." She said shy all of a sudden.

"I'm Changmin. And you are?"

"Minyoung." She said after she came downstairs.

"You're Korean?" She nodded. About a week later, they dated. Changmin had girlfriends before back in Korea but he couldn't support them having no job so they all left him. (Apparently, my dad had his first girlfriend at 15 but knew that he couldn't support her since he had 7 siblings to take care of. So she dumped him. She was his first love.)

~~~~ a month later~~~~

Changmin was sleeping in his apartment when he heard a moving van from outside. It's been a month since he lived here. He couldn't go back to sleep so he woke up, brushed his teeth, and put a shirt on. He went outside to see who the new residents were. As soon as he saw the ahjusshi's face, he knew he was Korean.

"Annyeongsaeyo! Do you need help with your things?" He asked him, being the polite guy he was.

"Sure. Thank you very much."  Changmin helped him carry the boxes to the apartment room that was 5 floors above his. After he was done, the ahjusshi thanked him again and introduced himself.

"My name is Lee Shimin. You can go ahead and call me ahujusshi."

"I'm Shim Changmin. Are you living here by yourself?"

"Aniyo. My wife and daughter are coming here in a few hours. They're busy looking for a job. We just arrived here yesterday."

"And what about you ahjusshi, do you have a job yet?"

"I found one yesterday. But it seems that I only have about 4 years before I retire anyway."

"I see. Well tell me if you need anything. I've been in Japan for almost 3 years now, though only in this apartment for about a month." Changmin claimed.

"I will. Thank you. It's not often to meet a young man that's kind like you."

"Oh it's nothing."Changmin smiled. There was suddenly a knock on the door and Shimin ahjusshi opened it to reveal his wife and daughter.

"Oh... what great timing. You two, this young man is Changmin. He helped me carry our boxes up here."

"Thanks so much for helping my dad." Changmin heard a timid voice. He looked to see an average but also pretty girl.

"Thank you for helping my husband. Why don't you stay for dinner and eat with us?"

"That's my daughter Yeonhee and my wife Mingi. And yes, I agree with my wife. You should eat with us. Living by yourself is lonely right?"

"I hope you don't mind hehe. Or course I will. I'm starving. But to answer your question, actually, no. Back in Korea, I have 7 brothers and sisters. It was always noisy and my siblings argued a lot. I'm currently in Japan because my dad is sick. I've been working hard so I could send money over there and help support my dad and siblings."Changmin explained.

He had gotten in contact with Dongho because Dongho worked in the same factory only it was in Osaka. Though Changmin was going to make sure he would come to Tokyo.

"I see. Well, I hope your father gets better." Ahjusshi said. "So how old are you?"

"Almost 25 years old." Changmin answered.

"Oh Yeonhee is 22."

Yeonhee looked at Changmin and well, it was love at first sight for her. She never felt like this with other guys before. Though once she heard that Changmin had a girlfriend, her hopes shattered.

"So Changmin-ah, do you have a girlfriend?" Ahjusshi asked.

"Yes I do. We've been dating for 3 weeks." 

"Oh I see." Yeonhee then left to help her mom in the kitchen.

"Dinner's ready!" Ahjumma exclaimed and she put the food on the table. It was kimchi and samgyeopsal. 

"Omo, I haven't had real Korean food in a long time!" Changmin shouted. "Ahjumma, your cooking is great!"

"Oh no, I didn't make it. Yeonhee did." Ahjumma said.

Chincha? That's even greater! Good job Yeonhee! You're good at cooking huh?" Changmin complimented her. Yeonhee blushed and said thanks. They began to talk more and eventually became friends.

~~~~a month later~~~~

Changmin was talking to Minyoung when he spots Yeonhee outside, looking like she just got back from grocery shopping. 

"Hey Yeonhee, need a hand?" He offered. But Yeonhee said no thanks noticing his girlfriend.

"Of course you can. Go ahead and make your girlfriend mad. I'd be honored to do so." Yeonhee said sarcastically.

"It's alright. I'll help you. He ended up carrying most of the bags. He told Minyoung to wait for him and went to her apartment.

"Thanks Oppa, now go back to your girlfriend. She looks like she's going to get mad."

"Well, let me introduce you to her then." Changmin dragged her downstairs to where Minyoung was and boy, was she irritated. As soon as she saw Yeonhee, she was jealous.

"Minyoung, this is my friend Yeonhee. Yeonhee, this is Minyoung, my girlfriend."

"Hi. Nice to meet you." Yeonhee smiled. Minyoung gave a fake smile and possessively held onto Changmin's arm.

"HEY CHANGMIN!" The three of them turned around to see who it was. It was Yunho and Yoochun.

"Hey Hyungs. What brings you guys here?"

"We just wanted to visit. So.... which girl is your girlfriend?" Yoochun asked. 

"Let me guess.... this girl?" Yunho pointed at Yeonhee and she said "Yeah right." That made Minyoung mad so she left.

"Jeez guys, now you made Minyoung mad. Aish... well this is Yeonhee, a friend of mine. Yeonhee, they're Yunho and Yoochun." She nodded and said hi.

Yoochun whispered in Changmin's ear. "To tell you the truth, just by looking at the two of them, I like Yeonhee more than Minyoung." Changmin looked at Yeonhee talking to Yunho. * I do admit, she can be cute at times. But she's really sarcastic too.*

The next day, Changmin was told by Minyoung to go meet her parents. So he dressed up nicely and went to her parent's house. She lived by herself in the apartment.

"Annyeongsaeyo!" Changmin said as soon as he stepped inside the big house.

"Hello. Go ahead and sit down." Her father said. Changmin nervously did so.

"So Changmin-sshi, you think you're able to support my daughter?" 

"Neh. I have a job in the bakery factory."

"Bwoh? Minyoung, didn't you tell me he was a lawyer?" Minyoung didn't say anything and mouthed sorry to Changmin. 

"You're probably from a poor family."

"You're not even that handsome either. You shouldn't date Minyoung." Her mother claimed.

"We don't approve!" Both of them shouted. 

"Don't ever meet my daughter again!" The father shouted before kicking him out.

Changmin walked back depressed. He did like Minyoung though it wasn't love. Yeonhee was outside looking at the sunset when she noticed Changmin.

"Oppa. Come sit next to me and look at the sunset."

"I don't feel like it."

"Why not? Did something happen with Minyoung?" Yeonhee questioned.

"Her parents didn't approve of me.  They told me not to see her again so we broke up."

"Aww. I"m sorry to hear that. But there will be a girl out there that's better for you. And her parents will accept you for who you are." Yeonhee said serious this time, trying to comfort him.

"Thanks for being here with me." Changmin told her and smiled at her.

"No problem." That was when Changmin realized he started to have feelings for her. Yeonhee, on the other hand, never stopped liking Changmin. Even if he had a girlfriend. They sat and talked while watching the sun go down.

It was Changmin's birthday when Yeonhee decided to make a cake for him. Changmin had never had a cake back in Korea and with the DBSK guys, they would go drinking to celebrate.

Yeonhee left it in front of Changmin's birthday. She wrote a card along with it also. She rang the doorbell and ran off. Changmin lazily opened the door but was energized when he saw the cake.

"Whoa.... It's dessert! Ohhh, my favorite flavor, vanilla. Who gave this to me though?" He found the card and opened it when he saw that it was from Yeonhee.

Happy Birthday Oppa! 25 years old now huh... You're getting old hehe, just kidding. Well, I hope your birthday is fun this year. I also hope you like the cake I made you. Thanks for being a good chingu. 

P.S. Don't drink too much today!

-Yeonhee

Changmin laughed at the P.S. and gladly ate the cake. He thanked her when he saw her outside as he headed off to work.

"Thanks for the cake Yeonhee. That was the first time I ever had a cake baked for me."

"You're welcome Oppa. But I am serious about the not drinking. When it was new year's, you drank so much Yunho Oppa and I had to carry you into your room."

"Hai Hai. I won't drink a lot today. Well, I'll be going now. See ya."

"Have fun!"

After work, the DBSK guys wanted to go to a club and drink until they couldn't drink anymore but Changmin thought about Yeonhee and said "I won't drink a lot this time. Only 3 beers." And he did only drink 3 beers. The other guys were all drunk so he had to call a taxi to take the four of them home. Changmin couldn't drink and drive so he decided to call Yeonhee.

"Yobosaeyo?" (Those big cell phones back then haha. xD)

"It's Changmin. Do you think you can come over here and drive me home?"

"How did you know I just finished working? You must be glad that my workplace is near the club huh?"

"I didn't know. I can't drive because I drank."

"Araso. I'm coming." So Yeonhee arrived and drove him home. She helped him to his room and Changmin made a shocking confession as he was getting really sleepy.

"Yeonhee.... I like you." Yeonhee was surprised to hear that and was about to reply to him but he had already fallen asleep. The next day, he didn't remember what he said last night so Yeonhee decided to forget about it, thinking he didn't mean to say it. Though she wanted to tell him she liked him back. So she decided to confess the month after.

"Changmin Oppa."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"I...... I like you!" 

"Chincha?" Changmin asked, surprised.

She nodded and looked at him.

"This is surprising actually. I thought you only liked me as a friend." She shook her head this time.

"Well, I like you too. But how long have you liked me? For me, I think since after I broke up with Minyoung. How about you?"

"Since I first saw you...." Yeonhee murmured. That caused both of them to blush.

"Well, we're a couple now araso?"

"Sure But-" Yeonhee was interrupted by Changmin kissing her.

"There. That kiss declares us as a couple." Yeonhee couldn't help but be lovestruck. As soon as they told her parents, they were happy for them and told them to get married soon. And they did. After only 3 months of dating, Changmin decided to propose to her.

They were gazing at the sunset when Changmin got on one knee and proposed.

"Yeonhee... I promise to make you happy. Will you marry me?"

"Of course I will!" Yeonhee squealed and hugged him. They were married a week later. Dongho was transferred to the Tokyo bakery 6 months after Changmin lived on his own. He was the best man. They did it Korean style (Vietnamese style) with a little bit of American style. Changmin was Catholic so they were married in the church. (In real life, Changmin is buddhist)

A year later, their daughter was born. That was when they decided to move out of the apartment and live in a house.

"Ahhh... I'll miss this apartment." Changmin sighed as he was finishing packing.

"I know, me too." Yeonhee said as she was feeding the 5 month old. "But we'll always remember this place." 

"Yeah... Because we're apartment lovers."

They moved to a cute white house and decided to let Mr. and Mrs. Lee live with them too. 2 years after that, they had a son. One day, Yeonhee asked Changmin if he wanted to see the apartment.

"Sure! Let's take the kids with us. I wonder if Ymi remembers this place." Changmin said. (yes i'm using my name haha)

"Probably not. She's only 3 so how can she remember?"

"Good thing we took a lot of pictures huh? She can look at them when she's older."

"I guess so." They arrived and noticed that there was a couple living in the same apartment they lived in before.

"I guess apartment room number 93 is like for couples or something. Since we lived together in that dorm for a year and a half."

"Like I said before, it's just because we're apartment lovers. It doesn't have anything to do with the number."

"Whatever you say." Yeonhee then kissed Changmin and Ymi said "Oh Mommy and Daddy are kissing like the people on T.V!" (I'm surprised myself but I actually said that.) They haven't kissed in front of the kids since.  (Good thing too ^^)

"Hey... when the kids are grown up and in college or getting married, you want to live in an apartment again?" Changmin asked.

"Sure. I'd be glad to." Yeonhee said as the two of them held their kids and went back home.

---------------------------

So yeah... my dad came to America from Vietnam, and he was a refugee from the Vietnam war. So he arrived in Oregon but his brother went to Idaho. I have no idea if his ex girlfriend was a or not but all I know is that my mom didn't like her. Anyway, hope you guys like it. My parents are waiting until my brother and I are in college to live back in an apartment sad but true haha.