Chapter One

Bad Boy

Chapter One

 

An orange and purple hue painted the sky as the sun slowly began to set. A loud “thwap” sound resonated throughout the rooftop of the old school building, scaring a few birds that were in the area. Three boys stood in front of a young man, cornering him to the back of the building. A small trickle of blood ran down the side of his mouth as his head jerked back from the hit. His face was void of any emotion as he looked up at his attackers.

 

The shorter of the three, the leader of the group, stood in between two of the larger boys and laughed maniacally. “You know better than to cross us.” He nodded to the goon on his left who nodded back and punched the young man in the gut. He flinched, feeling the brunt of the attack but made no effort to stop him. “This’ll be a lesson to that little group of yours."

 

The two lackeys followed their leader's orders and continued to beat him up, however, the young man defensively blocked the horrible onslaught, barely letting a scratch get on him except the first hit. Their attacks were not working, much to the leader's annoyance.

 

The leader sneered, at the young man's defensive play, and pushed aside his lackeys. He pulled the young man by the hair. This time the young man smirked, letting himself get pulled up. The leader glared at him, shaking his head with both hands. "Why aren't you fazed!" He shouted frantically, only widening the young man's smirk.

 

A wicked grin crossed the young man’s face, startling the leader for a moment. The leader let go of his head momentarily to look directly at the person in front of him. The young man chuckled. “It’s ‘cuz you’re ty fighters.”

 

“Boss--” Sounds of fighting behind him broke the leader’s attention away from the young man. He turned around and was met with the sight of his lackeys getting beat up by a group of three other boys. The leader instantly recognized it as the backup from the young man he was in front of.

 

Muffled sounds of the leader's lackeys trying to fight caused him to stare bewilderedly at the young man. His eyes widened as he started look for a quick exit. The fearless and cruel leader he appeared to be, disappeared instantly. The young man smirked, grabbing the guy by the arm. The leader gave the young man a pleading look that was ignored, and with a fluid motion, he lifted the leader off the ground and flipped him, slamming his head onto the floor. The leader out cold.

 

"Jesus Christ, Jonghyun. Make sure you didn't kill the guy," the young man, Jonghyun, turned around and was greeted by the scene of his backup cleaning the scene. One of the lackeys was being tied up by a tall boy who had a stoic look on his face and long hair, while the other one was being finished off by a shorter guy with blonde hair. The person who addressed Jonghyun crossed his arms and face palmed. “Seriously, you need to control your own strength.”

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, wiping the blood from his mouth. “Well, maybe if you got here sooner, and I wasn’t beaten up, he would’ve been conscious.” He reached over and placed two fingers on his neck to check his pulse. “And he’s still alive,” he paused looking over the guy’s shoulder. “Maybe you should make sure Key doesn’t kill that guy instead.” He pointed to the blonde guy behind him as he continued to beat up the lackey.

 

“Yah! Kim Kibum! That’s enough!” He yanked Key away from the bloodied, and unconscious guy and shoved his shoulder. “What the hell is with you guys are knocking people unconscious.” He looked in between Key and Jonghyun who only shrugged his shoulders, kicking the guy he flipped over.

 

Key stuck his tongue out at him. “You’re such a pansy, Yonghwa. These guys are asshats that deserve to get the beaten out of them.”

 

Yonghwa sighed. “The only one who listens to me here is Jungshin...” He glanced at the tall boy who didn’t say anything in response.

 

The lackey that Jungshin tied up sat on the floor, looking at the group in fear. “W-what are you gonna do to me? You’re not gonna kill me are you?”

 

“See, Yonghwa! Now we have a conscious one who’ll probably report this to the disciplinary committee since they have such a weak- leader,” Key complained, pointing at the guy Jonghyun knocked out.

 

Yonghwa looked at they pathetic guy who looked like he was about to pass out from terror. He sighed and waved a hand at Jungshin. “Jungshin.” Jungshin nodded and stoically walked over to the guy and placed two fingers on the guy’s neck and pressed down until he out. The guy slumped against the wall he was leaning against.

 

Key whistled. “You seriously need to teach me that.”

 

Yonghwa slapped Key’s back and motioned for the rest of them to follow him. “Come on, just leave them there. The disciplinary committee could handle them tomorrow and I have to do tonight.” Key and Jungshin filed back inside the school with Key gabbing away and Jungshin remaining silent. Yonghwa turned to follow them but noticed that Jonghyun hadn’t moved. “You comin’ Jonghyun?”

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “I have some things to do. See ya tomorrow,” he waved at Yonghwa who shrugged and followed the two back inside the building.


 

~*~*~*~

 

A slow, mellow melody resonated through the deep halls of a magnificent Victorian-esque school. The rich sound lead to a large practice space with large Palladian windows. The sky illuminated the room with a warm yellow-orange and the inhabitant inside. A young woman sat in the middle of the room, a viola resting against her chin, as a melancholy sound escaped the instrument. A solemn expression was set on the young woman's face, as she continued to play the complex piece with ease.

 

The young woman was dressed in a cream colored cardigan and royal blue plaid skirt; the standard uniform of her school. Under the cardigan was a white dress shirt with an evergreen tie.

 

Suddenly, the young woman felt another presence in the room with her, and from the corner of her eye she spotted a familiar person. Placing her viola on her lap, she turned around, a bright smile stretched across her face.

 

A tall boy stood timidly near the door, a small flute case draped over his shoulder. He was dressed similarly to the young woman--a white dress shirt with a cream colored cardigan over it, but instead of evergreen he wore a maroon tie and black slacks. "Noona?" The boy asked hesitantly. "Are you ready to go home yet?"

 

"Yeah, I was just practicing the piece I'm going to play at my next competition," the young woman chuckled, standing up. The boy entered the room and walked over to her. "Did you get first chair, Minhyuk?" She asked, carefully placing her viola in its case. She looked up and noticed his downcast look and sighed.

 

She stood up and wrapped her arms around the him. "It's okay father and mother would understand."

 

Minhyuk sighed, wrapping his arms around his sister. “Sorry, Sooyoung-noona,” he whispered. “Sometimes I think I’m not good at this musical stuff...”

 

Sooyoung lightly shoved Minhyuk back and frowned, looking up at him. “Don’t say that; you’re an amazing flute player! Just because you didn’t make first chair in the school’s concert band doesn’t mean anything.”

 

“But I’m not considered great compared to you...” Minhyuk said, shoulders drooping. Sooyoung’s frown deepened. Minhyuk had such a perfectionist outlook in life that it worried her. She had to think of something to bring his spirits up.

 

“Come on, instead of going home, let’s go out and get ice cream!” Sooyoung exclaimed excitedly, linking her arm with Minhyuk’s. “The weather recently got really nice and I’ve been craving ice cream since forever!”

 

Minhyuk smiled slightly and nodded. “Okay...” Sooyoung beamed at him and grabbed her viola. She rushed back to her side and linked arms with him again.

 

“Ready, little bro?” she giggled as he nodded.

 

The building was still filled with students practicing for upcoming competitions and concerts. As a prestigious classical music academy, only gifted students, or students with famous parents in the classical music circuit, were permitted attendance. In Sooyoung and Minhyuk’s case, they were considered both.

 

“Sooyoung!” Just as the siblings were exiting the building, a familiar voice called out her name. They turned around just as a young man jogged over. “Oh! Hey, Minhyuk,” he addressed the taller boy. He looked back and Sooyoung and smiled. “Do you have the violin concerto piece for our duet? I lost mine,” he said sheepishly, scratching his head.

 

Sooyoung sighed playfully, releasing Minhyuk. “What am I going to do with you Henry Lau,” she reached for her backpack and pulled out a light pink folder. "You're lucky I'm such an efficient person and keep other people's things for them." She handed him the sheet music to him, tapping his head with her folder.

 

Henry laughed, ruffling her hair. "Thanks, Soo. I owe you one. You guy's going home?" He asked tucking the sheet music in between the handle of his violin case.

 

"We're going out for ice cream!" she said excitedly clapping her hands. Henry smiled at her childishness. "You're welcome to join us if you want!"

 

"Yeah of course," he said as Sooyoung jumped happily and grabbed onto him. Henry grinned in surprise and wrapped an arm around her, ruffling her hair again.

 

"Hey!" She giggled, shoving him playfully. He released Sooyoung and she linked both arms with his and Minhyuk's.

 

A chill ran through Sooyoung's body that caused her to shiver. She frowned pausing mid-step just as they passed an old looking school building. She looked up, seeing the outline of a silhouette standing on the roof. Minhyuk noticed her hesitation and asked, "Are you okay, noona?"

 

Sooyoung blinked, the silhouette disappearing. She shook her head and grinned at Minhyuk and a puzzled Henry. "Nah, I guess it's not as warm as I thought," she said, wrapping the sweater of her uniform closer to her body.

 

"Are you saying we aren't getting ice cream now?" Henry joked, clearly knowing Sooyoung would never drop the opportunity to eat something.

 

"Yah, never in a million years!" She laughed. "I thought you knew me well?"

 

Henry laughed. "Yes, yes. I know you would never pass a chance to eat ice cream."

 

"Then you’ll treat me for ice cream?” Sooyoung said,batting her eyelashes at him, smiling.

 

Henry shook his head. “I guess I have no choice.”

 

Sooyoung grabbed his arm once again and pulled Minhyuk. “You’ll treat, Minhyuk too, right?”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Noona!”

 

Sooyoung giggled dragging them away, glancing at the school building from the corner of her eye.


 

~*~*~*~


 

Jonghyun stood in front of the small daycare center and sighed, hitching his school bag higher on his shoulder. Although it was nearing eleven at night, the lights were still on and a few children were playing without a care in the world. Jonghyun took a deep breath and pushed open the front door.

 

The bell signaled a newcomer entering the daycare--and the children who raced to see who it was.

 

“Wah! It’s Jonghyun!”

 

“Yay! Jonghyun’s here!”

 

“Jonghyun! Jonghyun!”

 

The small crowd of children huddled around the older boy, as a smile grew across his face. Jonghyun laughed as a few of the children started to climb his arms and one kid managed to latch onto his torso.

 

“Woah guys, I know you missed me, but I won’t be able to play with you guys if you keep holding me down!” he laughed, trying to pry of the little girl that was hugging his torso.

 

“Children,” the stern voice of the daycare teacher warned. “Jonghyun can’t stay long because he has school tomorrow, correct?” the old woman said, eying Jonghyun with a glint in her eye.

 

Jonghyun laughed sheepishly as the children slowly climbed off of him. “Yeah, I have school tomorrow...” The children collectively groaned and complained as Jonghyun stood up. He ruffled the hair of a little boy that stood nearby and turned to the old woman. “Are they in the back?” She nodded, stepping aside. He bowed slightly, walking past her.

 

In the middle of the small playroom were three children, two boys and a girl, playing with the daycare’s toys. The children were smaller than the other kids, and were oblivious to the commotion going on in the other room. The three were identical, except for the fact that the taller boy had curly hair wearing a blue striped shirt, the girl had her short hair in tiny pigtails wearing a pink striped shirt, and the smallest of the two had straight hair wearing a green striped shirt.

 

The moment Jonghyun stepping into the playroom, smiles broke across their faces.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Oppa!”

 

The three rushed over as fast as four year olds could. Jonghyun bent down, dropping his bag, and spread his arms wide, laughing. “Hey guys! How was your day today?”

 

“Hyung! Hyung! Look what I did during arts and crafts!” The one in the blue shirt said, shoving the childish drawing of a boat in Jonghyun’s face.

 

Jonghyun smiled bright, look at the boy’s drawing. “Wow, Joohae! It’s amazing!”

 

“Look at mine, oppa!” the little girl exclaimed, climbing onto her brother’s back with a crumpled drawing of a butterfly and flower.

 

“Very pretty, Jineun,” he ruffled Jineun’s hair as she beamed at him. “How ‘bout you Jaewoo? Did you draw anything today?” The smallest of the two shook his head and said nothing.Instead, he trotted over to the small arts and crafts table and picked up a blob of dried clay that oddly looked like Jonghyun. He grinned, holding the little statue. “Is this supposed to be me, Jae?” The little boy nodded running over to hug the older boy. Jaewoo latched onto Jonghyun’s torso and rubbed his face into his chest, causing him to laugh.

 

Shouts of Me too! And, I want a hug next! were screamed into Jonghyun’s ear. He didn’t mind what so ever.

 

“It’s getting late; Jungah’s asleep in the nap room,” the old woman told Jonghyun who nodded. He pried the triplets off of him and followed the woman to the back. The three followed behind him.

 

Laying on a small mat was a small child. She was sleeping peacefully without making much noise, except for soft breathing. The woman carefully picked up the child and handed her to Jonghyun who slung his bag over his shoulder. “Thank you,” he whispered to the woman who nodded. With one arm holding Jungah and one hand free, he grabbed onto Joohae’s hand who grabbed Jaewoo’s hand and Jineun’s. “Let’s go guys.”

 

“Can we have ice cream, oppa?” Jineun asked, swinging Jaewoo’s hand as they passed a small ice cream shop. The street lamps were on as the night sprang to life.

 

Jonghyun glanced inside the ice cream shop; three students, two boys and a girl, laughed without a care in the world. He felt a twinge of envy, wishing he was in there having fun with his friends, goofing off. He sighed and shook his head. “It’s really late, Jineun, and I don’t have enough money...”

 

Jineun nodded, the spark in her eye dulling slightly. It crushed Jonghyun to think that he hurt his little sister for denying her something she wanted. He clenched his fist tightly and sighed, walking away from the ice cream shop.

 

~*~*~*~

 

“I knew she was a witch in disguise!” Sooyoung laughed, holding her stomach at Henry’s outburst. The three were at the ice cream shop a few blocks away from their school. They had been there for a couple of hours already, just hanging out after a long day of school. They sat near the back in the empty ice cream shop, their ice cream long finished.

Sooyoung checked her phone for the time. 11:24 PM. “I should call Seohyun. We have a piece due tomorrow, and I know how he freaks about not having it done in time.” She stood up to excuse herself from Minhyuk and Henry, who continued to animatedly talk.

 

She walked near the front window, holding her phone near her ear. Looking out the window, she spotted a boy that looked no older than herself, carrying a small child and holding the hand of a boy who held the hands of a boy and girl his size. He was walking away, his back facing her. “How cute.”

 

“What?” Sooyoung was startled at the voice in her ear.

 

“Oh! Sorry Seohyun,” Sooyoung said embarrassedly, turning away from the window. “I just saw something cute,” she turned back, the boy gone from her vision.

 
 
~*~*~*~

A/N: i have no excuses