i/i

Breath of Summer

 

 

 

 

 

Blazing warm summer, scorching hot.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s burning and scalding, even in the shade, and it doesn’t help that the attempt to locate any place that has air conditioning has been proven futile. Every place he turns is foreign to memory, and it doesn’t help that Do Kyungsoo has no map or guide to help him.

 

 

 

 

 

But something (or rather, someone) just as warm with warm skin barely covered and warmer brown eyes behind glasses greets Kyungsoo with an obnoxious-but-well-meant smile and an extended hand.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, are you lost?” the golden glow man – but he’s really still a boy – asks with a voice that sounds like rich chocolate on his eardrums. “Need help?”

 

 

 

 

 

And then Do Kuungsoo finds himself sitting shotgun in a stranger’s convertible, hands folded neatly in hislap as he fidgets ever so slightly in hisseat, wondering if he should have chosen a shirt instead of a tank top, since he’s sitting in a stranger’s car and breaking every rule Kyungsoo has kept in his fair head.

 

 

 

 

 

“Uh, where are we going?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He flashes Kyungsoo a mega-watt smile enough to power the whole South Korea a month, as he slings his arm out the window. “Anywhere you want? Where are you heading?”

 

 

 

 

 

Nowhere, honestly.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo is here for summer vacation, as his family had told him. They wanted him to get out of the house and get a tan somewhere outside of the town he had grown up in, so now he was in Seoul. It isn’t really a place to simply open up a lawn chair and bask in the sunlight while you hear the waves crashing on the shore, but it’s hot and humid and definitely enough to give Kyungsoo a suntan.

 

 

 

 

 

So Kyungsoo tells him that he’s just sightseeing for vacation, and the strangers grins that half-amused half-idiotic grin of his and chuckles, “I’ll take you to a place you’ll like, somewhere not too hot.”

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo honestly doesn’t understand what in the world is going on in his head and the driver’s at the moment, as don’t even know each other and yet for some reason the two of them are okay with that, sitting in silence except for the low hum of the engine and the whiz of the hot wind whipping their faces.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m Kim Jongin, by the way,” he tells Kyungsoo, glancing at him with twinkly brown eyes. So he tells Jongin his name because his mother didn’t raise him in the ing wilderness, and yet Kyungsoo is sitting in a stranger’s car going to God knows where, and this Kim Jongin can be some axe murderer for all he knew.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But for some reason Kyungsoo doesn’t back out.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s cooler when he arrives at wherever Jongin’s planned to take him, and judging by the skies, it looks like the sun is about to go down in the west soon. And there’s a beach. In Seoul.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo is about to ask him how is it possible to have a beach in New York, but then he hasn’t really been good in geography and he keeps his mouth shut because he doesn’t want to sound like an idiot.

 

 

 

 

 

“Why are we here on a beach?”

 

 

 

 

 

“To watch the sun set!” he exclaims happily as the two of them step out of the car and he grabs the shorter male by the wrist like a child and half-drags Kyungsoo to the beachside and the sand gets quickly all over his feet and legs and he’s nearly shouting at Jongin.

 

 

 

 

 

But the shouting and laughing stops when the two plop down onto the beach, both mesmerized by the beautiful bleeding colors of the setting sun. “Wow, it’s gorgeous,” Kyungsoo breathes out, toes digging into the moist sand of the beach.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So the two sat, quietly and happily next to each other, not knowing half of what is going on, but for some reason neither of them could complain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the days of summer vacation stretched on, they knew a bit more about each other, but maybe not in the conventional way Kyungsoo had been used to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo learned more about one another through skin and little breaths in between kisses and touches. In the ghosting of fingertips over thin flesh stretched over bones, in the whispers into the crook of necks, in the warmth of back hugs, and in the sharing of iced coffee and half-opened hotel bathrobes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo found out that he likes his café misto filled with three tablespoons of sugar, that he sleeps with no blankets on, that he has a habit of trying to come to his rescue even when he didn’t don’t really need to be rescued.

 

 

 

 

The two of them were just two strangers, falling love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And Kyungsoo knew that after this summer, he wouldn’t be the same.

 

 

 

 

 

                                                             - - -

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s almost midnight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Usually, by this time the two of them would step out of the shiny car and walk side by side. Jongin would probably taunt or tease Kyungsoo, and would end up playing tag in the dark and in one way or another the paler one would be slung over his shoulder and he’d laugh as Kyungsoo pounded his back with balled fists. Then Jongin would put him down and kiss him, and shiver as he felt the late summer breeze on his skin and he’d throws his arms around Jongin, deepening the kiss and making him more comfy and warm.

But today is different, because Kim Jongin can’t stand to see him go and Kyungsoo can’t seem to move to even take off his seat belt. The sit together, the drive done and the music over.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The silence is eerily comforting for two who do not need sound to communicate.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin clears his throat, but he can’t find the words to say. Everything and at the same time, nothing has been said already. He just needs to do something about it, but his body is rigid with anxiety.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo looks over, a gentle smile gracing his lips because he knows, Jongin understand. He takes the initiative of taking off his seat belt, and doesn’t miss the way Jongin’s face falls when he knows he’s about to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He leans over before Kyungsoo can react and touches their lips together. Kyungsoo can smell the smell of the sea on his skin as if the first time together at the beach hasn’t worn off just yet. He feels all of Jongin’s worries, all of Jongin’s excitement, all of Jongin’s yearning, and he presses harder. He thinks he’ll just be another tally mark on his “people I’ve ed” in the summer, but Jongin’s kisses says otherwise. For a moment, there’s fear on both ends, but when Kyungsoo places his hands on Jongin’s face and deepen the kiss, and all of those worries melt away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s like he can hear the music again. The CD is on, and they’re both driving, driving to somewhere far from here, somewhere called home.

                                                   

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                          ——

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

February thirteenth, seven-thirty in the evening.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The snow is falling from the nighttime sky, and is sticking to the roofs of buildings, cars, and the already-slippery sidewalk. No stars are visible above, they’re being outshined by the bright lights of the city, and for a second Kyungsoo wishes he were away from the hustle and bustle of Seoul.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Final year of college – vacation especially because he wants to be at home with family, several states away, with a mug of hot chocolate in his hands and sitting on the couch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The eve of Valentine’s doesn’t feel like it at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It feels like nothing except for a cold black void with wind as he watches from the taxi window that other families zoom by, busy and happy with gifts tucked into large shopping bags. Kyungsoo has no bag with him or any sign of having shopped in one of the large department stores, except for the bag of cookies he bought in a bakery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The taxi pulls up to the beach, which is empty and covered more with a new layer snow rather than sand, and he pays the driver before stepping out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The cold air bites at his face and memories bite at his conscience.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inhaling, Kyungsoo lets the sharp chilly air seep into his lungs as he breathes in the cold salt breeze. His fingers tighten on his backpack and he exhales loudly, sighing out all the sorrow into the wind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He freezes up when he hears the crunching sound of footsteps behind him and Kyungsoo looks over his shoulder to see someone bundled up in a dark green parka. An annoying smirk is set on thin lips and tanned skin, even in the cold waether.

 

 

 

 

“Hey, are you lost?” he asks, his hands buried deep into his pockets.

 

 

 

 

 

And suddenly Kyungsoo feels warm when he extends a hand in his direction. Kyungsoo’s smile soon reaches his when he reach for his hand and he pulls Kyungsoo towards him.

 

 

 

 

 

“No,” Kyungsoo answers, burying his face into Jongin’s thick scarf.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At least not anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

this is like my first and only fluffy oneshot omfg kill me now

please don't forget to comment, upvote, and subscribe!!!