Chapter One

Secret Admirer

Riiing! The bell for the last class of the day rang loud and clear throughout the hallway of Samdong High School and students began pouring out of the classrooms at a steady pace. Sooyoung hurried to her locker, books clutched to her chest, eager to get out of the building and meet her friends Sunny, TaeYeon, and YoonA at a nearby ice cream parlor in celebration of their last exam of the semester.

“Yah! Sooyoungie, ppali!” Sunny nudged her friend in the side as she opened her own locker right next to Sooyoung’s.

“I’m trying, eonni! I can’t carry all of my books!” Sooyoung fumbled with the lock on her locker and as she opened the locker door, something fluttered to the ground. “Omo--!” She quickly grabbed it before it dropped and looked at the piece of paper in her hand.

Dearest Sooyoungie,
I’ve been thinking about you for a long time. You’re so beautiful and talented and friendly. You’re everything that I could possibly want in a girlfriend, but I’m too afraid to approach you. I hope this doesn’t freak you out because that would kinda since I really really like you. Maybe one day I’ll build up the courage to properly ask you out but I just couldn’t contain my feelings anymore. I really like you.
<3
Y
“Ige mwoya??” Sooyoung gasped as her eyes scanned the flawless handwriting and words neatly scribbled down the crumpled piece of paper. Somebody likes me?? Sooyoung thought, her eyes widening in delight and her cheeks flushing ever-so-slightly.

“Mwo??” Sunny stood on her tippy toes trying to read over Sooyoung’s shoulder to no avail.

“I have a secret admirer!!”

“Mwo ragoo??” TaeYeon skipped over from her locker down the hall after she heard the squealing between Sunny and Sooyoung. “Admirer?”

“Look!” Sooyoung showed her the note as they began walking outside, YoonA catching up with them.

“Sooyoung has a lover~!” Sunny teased, linking her arms through Sooyoung’s as they walked down the street.

“More like a stalker.” YoonA smirked.

“Aish.” Sooyoung said flatly, flicking YoonA’s forehead. “Do you guys have any idea who this could be??”

“Hmm...we have to think logically about this: who sees you often every day and has nice handwriting?” TaeYeon tapped her chin thoughtfully, names and faces flying through her brain at rapid speed. YoonA suddenly looked at Sunny, a sly grin forming on her face.

“Sunny sees her everyday, don’t you eonni?” YoonA winked.

“It’s not me. I’m into guys, remember? I’m not on Sooyoungie’s...team. Plus my handwriting . Sorry, Sooyoung.” Sunny laughed.

“Oh yeah that’s right Sunny’s crushing on Siwon oppa!” Sooyoung teased, poking her best friend in the cheek as the girls walked into the parlor and sat at their usual window seat table. “Well the person is either a girl or a guy who has really feminine writing.”

“Hmm. Let me see the letter again.” TaeYeon held her hand out to take the letter and Sooyoung gave it to her. “It says it’s from ‘Y.’ OMONA DOES THAT MEAN IT’S YESUNG OPPA?!”

“No he’s into men.” YoonA remarked, digging into her ice cream right away. “And turtles.”

“Oh right. Well, Sooyoung, who do YOU want it to be?” TaeYeon smirked, fanning herself with the letter.

“I’m not sure--” She started, biting her soft lips in contemplation.

“Yuri.” TaeYeon, Sunny, and YoonA cut her off abruptly in unison.

“M-mwo?? A-aniyo! Yuri would NEVER do something like this. She’s with MinHo, remember?” Sooyoung cried defensively, her face turning a bright shade of pink and the tips of her ears turning red.

“You’ve had a crush on her since eighth grade, Sooyoung. Don’t lie, especially to us.” Sunny giggled.

“Ok, fine. I would like it to be Yuri but that’s just not possible and it’s not going to happen. Can we not talk about this anymore?” Sooyoung snatched the letter from TaeYeon and shoved it into her bag, trying to shield her disappointment in reality. Kwon Yuri was the most beautiful girl on campus. She was an amazing dancer, extremely friendly, exceptionally smart...and happened to like guys and NOT girls, unlike Sooyoung. She was pretty sure Yuri could turn even the gayest guy on their campus straight, she was that damn beautiful. And so out of my league, Sooyoung thought glumly as she remembered all the days she had spent that year admiring Yuri from across the room in their statistics class, mushing  around her ice cream so it melted into a big puddle in her cup.

The girls noticed the change in attitude and looked at each other with uncertainty written all over their faces. TaeYeon was the first to speak.

“Ok, well besides Yuri, who do you want it to be from?”

Sooyoung shrugged quietly. “I dunno. Maybe Sica eonni. She’s really nice and pretty.”

“Well you’ll find out eventually. Don’t be too upset, araso?” Sunny gave her friend a comforting hug. Sooyoung nodded.

“I should, uh, get going.” YoonA said abruptly, gathering her belongings and rushing outside.

“What is up with her lately, that punk?” TaeYeon clucked her tongue in annoyance. “Nobody in this group keeps secrets from me. She’s been like that since last weekend.”

“You think she’s pregnant?” Sunny snorted, knowing how...ually active YoonA was with her boyfriend, TaecYeon.

“Doubt it. She’d tell us first.” TaeYeon said, getting out her phone to text the girl in question. She rapidly ran her fingers across the keypad in frustration.

TY: Yah! U almost blew our cover wtf dongsaeng! 50 pushups next time i see u!
TaeYeon felt her phone vibrate a few moments later.

Y: aigoo eonniiiii~~ i cant keep this secret from sooyoungie anymore! its eating me up inside! she should know who it is! idk how much longer i can go along with our plannnn! DX

TY: THAT IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ATTITUDE YOONA. WE’RE HELPING THIS CHICK OUT BC SHE WANTS TO FINALLY CONFESS TO OUR BEST FRIEND GDI GET WITH THE TIMES.

Y: mehhhh -____________-

TY: DONT YOU MEH ME RIGHT NOW.

Y: fineeeee mian~~

TY: WHAT HAPPENED TO UR MANNERS.

Y: UGH FINE! 죄송합니다~~ <3333333

TY: ….....i still want at least 10 pushups. ur lazy.

Y: eonniiiii~~ :(((((((

TY: shh. we need to help her out this is important. it’ll change soo’s life. srsly.

Y: k~~~ <3333

TY: stop being a kissass.

Y: :((((



***


Sooyoung sighed as she plopped onto her bed, a new note clutched tightly in her hands against her chest. This was the third or fourth note she’d gotten that week since the first one. Graduation was looming closer and she was full of anxiety as she saw the confirmed date for when her secret admirer would finally reveal him/herself. She traced the little heart drawn in the corner of the paper and smiled to herself. She loved the feeling of being loved by someone else; it made all of her worries fade away and she felt invincible. She’d be even happier if she knew who this person was, though.

Despite her initial worries of getting some creep as her admirer, Sooyoung was beginning to feel a sort of attraction to whoever was writing her these sweet and incredibly thoughtful and genuine  letters that sincerely touched her heart. She wanted to meet this person already and her impatience was driving her up the wall. Little did she know her admirer was just outside the front door.