White New Year

Derailing

New Year's Eve, one year ago. 

It had been night time for a long time in Seoul. Too long. 

Baekhyun stared at the shadowy walls. They were much easier to look at when there was no light. He had specifically requested for no lights so that the sheet-white walls won't look as terrifying. Hospitals scared him in a way he couldn't explain or remember why. But then again, he was probably too used to the darkness that engulfed him for the past months. The corridors outside were bright as day, it's fluorescent lights shining into a fraction of Baekhyun's room. He stayed in the darker side, feeling somewhat safe. There was a certain solace in the darkness. Enjoying the silent dripping of one of the many tubes latched into his body, he found himself getting calmer and calmer, the fear of his terrible predicament less scary by the minute. 

Just then, a few shadows slid over the white lights, both which Baekhyun could not identify. The shadows darted between each other, as if they were wrestling and fighting. 

'Let me see him!' One of them hissed. A dull thud, like the sound of fist on flesh, and then a momentary silence. 

'I won't. Let. You.' It was Chanyeol's voice- the first voice Baekhyun heard when he woke up in the very same room. It was dark, hushed, very unlike the usual light and cheery air Chanyeol had in his voice. Another silence. The other person did not continue. Baekhyun thinks he should be concerned about what's going on outside, especially when there was Chanyeol outside, but somehow his mind cooed him not to care. Perhaps it was his medicine. Causes hallucinations and drowsiness, Baekhyun recalls the doctor's warning. So instead of being more alert, he listened on like it was a radio show. 

'You,' he heard Chanyeol sneer, 'after all this while, do you still think you're the one Baekhyun needs?' The atmosphere shifted, dropped in temperature. Chanyeol's voice was getting thicker. 

'Leave. He doesn't need you around anymore. Just go.' 

Was Chanyeol crying? Baekhyun heard the sobs and lifted his head ever so slightly from his bed, causing a few tube needles to shift uncomfortably in his arm. They were too far away for Baekhyun to see, but he could hear them. The other man mumbled something, like he admitted defeat in this war. Chanyeol laughed coldly and answered him something which Baekhyun did not bother to take note anymore. Softening footsteps, and everything became peaceful once more. 

Despite the drowsiness it was clear in Baekhyun's mind-Chanyeol did it. He protected Baekhyun from someone, someone which Baekhyun didn't know. In the darkness, he felt safe. But behind Chanyeol, he found his haven. Baekhyun smiled to himself. Perhaps his life from now wouldn't be as treacherous as he had imagined. That person that nearly came in and could have someone that could harm him. Chanyeol, in such moments, bravely stood up for him. He was beyond touched. 

There were a few knocks on the door, and Chanyeol came in quietly with the sweetest smile. There was a bouquet of roses in his hand. Blue roses. 

'Hi,' Chanyeol waved awkwardly. His eyes were slightly reddened, but Baekhyun somehow can't remember why, or what was going on before that resulted it. Like the fight he overheard did not occur after Chanyeol stepped through the door. All Baekhyun remembers was that Chanyeol would be there no matter what. 

'Hi to you,' Baekhyun answers, holding up one of his hands to wriggle his fingers. Chanyeol sets the roses in the vase and laces his hand between Baekhyun's. Chanyeol's hand was warm and big, he fits into Chanyeol's palm perfectly. Nothing seemed necessary at this moment- movement, words, memories, time. He was in Chanyeol's hands, and it was the best place to be on earth. Happiness rushed over him like a warm blanket on a cold night. Baekhyun ran a gentle thumb over Chanyeol's hand, savouring this sweetness that was so long awaited. 

'Baekhyun ah,' Chanyeol mutters, breaking the silence. Baekhyun turns his focus onto Chanyeol's eyes, which twinkled even in the darkness- Baekhyun likes to think that they are stars that only he has the chance to gaze at. 

Chanyeol pulls out a small leaflet, the paragraphs of information vaguely visible. 'I found this,' Chanyeol flips it open, revealing even more words. 'There's this specialist in Paris, he can help to heal you..' he pauses to read briefly. 'If you're interested, I can leave this here for you to read in the morning. The treatment is not intrusive, they help through counselling sessions..I think it's not bad? I even saw some of the testimonials, people healed really quickly.. Paris is beautiful too! Let's see...' 

Chanyeol, oh Chanyeol. Baekhyun giggles softly, watching the boy ramble on and on, eyes blinking and darting between the leaflet, like a child going over a storybook. An unknown emotion swells in Baekhyun, warming his insides. 

'Baek ah,' Chanyeol pouts, staring at Baekhyun's bemused face, 'What's so funny? Did I say something?' he grumbles cutely, eyes moving from the leaflet to Baekhyun, resembling a really lost puppy. 

Baekhyun grips his hand, as if bracing himself for something more serious. The words that he blurted out next came as a surprise. 

'Come with me.' 

Baekhyun knew he was supposed to feel nervous, but the heart monitor beeping gently in the background said otherwise. The mind did not speak, the heart did. Words that he had yearned so long to speak. 

'I-I'm sorry?' Chanyeol stammered. He was in full attention, back straight and his already-large eyes wide open. 

'I want you to come with me, to Paris,' he continued to respond out without thought or worry. Baekhyun actually could predict Chanyeol's answer. He was more than sure of it, but in case Chanyeol didn't want it, he wasn't afraid of rejection either. Wherever Chanyeol went, he would go too. 

'Ten! Nine! Eight!-' they heard the excited countdown from somewhere far away. Ah, it was New Year's Eve. Baekhyun had forgotten about it totally. Chanyeol stood up to draw the curtains at the other side of Baekhyun's bed. Seoul was dotted with countless bright lights, firing it into such heated passion that the winter night could not even drain it. 

'Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!' Voices drifted into the walls of his ward, simultaneously, fireworks blossomed in the sky, one after another. The pair remained still for a while admiring the sheer beauty of the fireworks. Red flowers, yellow sparkling showers, and even an impressive heart shaped firework. Baekhyun moved his gaze and saw Chanyeol's back illuminating under the many colours of the fireworks. In his mind's camera, he took down the image, committing it to memory for life.

'Baekhyun..' Chanyeol begins, shifting around to face him again. His body lit up in the dim glow of the outside world. The taller man strode forward, and in a swift movement, embraced Baekhyun. Albeit his height, he barely presses onto Baekhyun, and in response, Baekhyun eased into the hug, like returning home. 

'I'll go wherever you go Baekhyun, I'll never leave you alone.' Chanyeol mumbles, burying his head deeper into Baekhyun's neck. 

It was the start, not the end.