Birthday

When I Was Your Man

Jongin was drenched in sweats. He lay on the wooden floor – legs sprawling, chest pumping, eyes closed. He was out of breath. Almost there, almost there, his train of thought filled with those words. The music was still blasting through out the empty dance academy, since he was too tired to turn it off before he took his moment to rest. The clock on the wall said 7 pm and the calendar showed it was January 14.

His birthday.

He chuckled to himself, remembering all the fuss everyone made back at the school earlier. Sehun made it to inform the whole school by suddenly appearing in the backroom of the radio station (of their school) then announced it loudly, much to Jongin’s distaste. But he laughed it off at last and couldn't help but feeling grateful. Yet, something was missing, of course, since Soojung wasn't present at school. She apologized several times and Jongin would just chuckle, saying it’s not really an important thing to be sorry for.

So there he was, dancing his body off ever since the time he stepped out from the school. Sehun had asked for a round of free meal, trying to hold him from casting away at the practice room because he knew; if Jongin ever step a feet inside, it would be hard to drag him out. But Jongin declined, saying he would treat them if there were Soojung too. And in the end, Sehun went home dejectedly because Jongin was being reasonable.

He breathed out. His eyes darted to one of the stacked paper on the board at the back of the room. Slowly, he stood up and walked to the approach the board.

Scholarship.

He smiled, that was he aimed for and the exact reason for all the time he had spent for dancing. That was the reason why he couldn't give up dancing when the doctor said to stop. That was the reason why he was there, instead of celebrating his birthday somewhere. Feeling he was no longer tired, he got back and turned the volume of the music louder.

Soon, nothing could disturb him and his moves, again.

***

“I’m on my way already.”

Jinri laughed over the line. “But you’re wearing jacket, aren’t u?”

Soojung rolled her eyes. “Stop babysitting me. Of course I am—“

Her own sneeze interrupted her. Jinri sighed. “Promise me you’ll go home as soon as you’re finished with your business.”

“Yes, mother.” Soojung laughed, “I’m hanging up.”

 

Jinri hmmed and the phone call ended. Just few more turns and she would be in front of Jongin’s house.

 

“That house. The one on the left with grey color.” She told the cab driver.

 

The car made its stop. Soojung inhaled and held her smile as she took out her phone. She dialed Jongin’s number while wondering what should she say to the other line. More dial tones she received, but there was no answer. She tried and tried again, but only to be greeted by his voicemail. She looked down at the box of cake and sighed. Is he sleeping or is he going out somewhere? Maybe he’s celebrating his birthday at the restaurant or something?

 

“Miss.” The cab driver coughed awkwardly, interrupting her train of thoughts. “You know this is going to be charged—“

“Ahjussi, I’m so sorry.” Soojung answered apologetically. “I’ll pay the charge. But—please wait a sec—hello? Jongin?”

Jongin’s voice sounded stifled with his breath. “Krys? What’s wrong?”

She could hear music blasting loudly behind him. “Where… Where are you?”

He turned off the music player and it was then silent. He breathed heavily, “I’m in the practice room.” He gulped down his water. “Why?”

 

Soojung blinked in her spot. How stupid of her to not ask him before going out, she thought.

 

“Krys?”

She surely dazed off many times that night. “I’m here. Uh, are you still practicing?”

Jongin furrowed his eyebrow. It was rare Soojung questioning him dancing. “I guess?”

She went silent. Sudden flashback from the Christmas Eve flashed in her mind; him and hospital. She bit her lip. “But it’s almost 8 already…” She mumbled.

Jongin chuckled. “Soojung-ah, you should really get rest instead of calling me.”

“Huh?”

“No, really.” He chuckled again from the other line. “I think your fever and cold are getting serious because it’s a rare occasion for you to call me like this and tell me to go home.”

Her eyebrows wrinkled. “What? But—“

“Krystal.” He cut her. “Get some rest. I’ll go home as soon as I’m done practicing this one song. It’s… quite hard.” He chuckled.

She hadn’t even replied when he spoke again. “I’m hanging up, okay?”

 

There the phone call ended. She stayed silent for a minute or two and thankfully the cab driver was patient enough to drive more when she said the address of the dance academy.

A surprise must mean to be a surprise.

Twenty minutes or so later she arrived and paid the charge, which the driver half heartily received as he saw her struggling with a cake in one hand and a box of present on the other one, yet she still managed to smile gratefully. Bless this boyfriend of her, he said inwardly and drove away.

She took a deep breath – standing in front of the building she missed so much. It had been more than a year since the last time she stepped her feet on the brown tiled staircase and put a hand on the wooden knob. She smiled; the feeling was still the same. Slowly, she pushed the door open and went inside. The interior hadn’t changed; the dusty windows, brochures and pamphlets of scholarships and showcases lazily tacked on the information board, and that one couch before the practice room – still with the shabby red leather.

She walked and placed her belongings on the table gradually until she held nothing. Faintly, she could hear the music blasting from the other end of the floor. She contemplated whether to peek a little or just wait outside but at the end, she crept down the corridor. On her way there, her heart thumped hardly, afraid if the boy walked out so she had been eyeing some hiding spots just in case.

After a hard time holding her breath in, she finally let it out after she was standing before the practice room door. She smiled as the memories flashed in her mind – the beginning of everything. She the wooden slide door before oh so slowly pushing it aside, leaving a small gap for her to peek a figure who was dancing his legs off.

Her heart fluttered at the sight – watching him will always be fascinating as if she was seeing it for the first time. She still couldn't take her eyes off as he smoothly danced to the song, almost like he had been practicing for years. Her eyes followed his every move that she couldn't even blink. She didn't want to miss any move, and she really didn't when she realized something was odd.

The boy she loves stopped out of the blue; hand clutching hard his thigh.

 

“.” He hissed lowly but clearly enough for her to hear.

 

Limply, he made his way to the speaker and stomped his hand to his own audio player. But it just stopped the time he slammed it to the ground that it broke, the cd went out of it and there were some cracks on the screen. He hissed continuously and laid his back on the wooden floor.

 

“No.” He whined. “No. Not now. I’m almost done.” Breathing heavily, he didn't realize that he was close to sobbing. “Stupid leg. Stupid wound. Stupid.”

 

He was still gripping his aching thigh, hoping the pain would disappear soon, because he needed to practice more. It wasn’t enough – he was far than enough. He must get that scholarship because it was the only way. As cheesy as it sounds, dancing was his life.

The small gap by the door was closed, leaving the corridor in the dark. The only source of light was far from the front door.

It was silent.

 

“What was that.” She mumbled and laid her back on the couch.

 

She stared at the door from a distance for a long time – still no sound could be heard. Keeping her eyes on that room, she didn't know what hurts more – seeing him like that, or knowing that she knew nothing about what just happened back there. Her eyebrows furrowed perfectly, she fiddled her sweaty palms, and she bit her lower lip – a habit she would always do to hold her back from breaking down.

She succeeded. She didn't cry; she didn’t let out any sound from her puckered lips. She just stayed still on the couch.

Fifteen minutes of silence made everything felt better. But all her effort went to waste as soon as the whole dance academy lit up again by the blasting music from inside the main practice room. The familiar beat played in corridor, breaking the silence and darkness. It was no more than a minute after she heard it, she couldn't hold herself back.

 

“What was that, Jongin?”

 

Unconsciously, a tear escaped from the corner of her eyes.

 

***

 

“Damn.” He fiddled with the cracked screen. “I really threw it hard, I guess.”

 

Humming to the song he just finished practiced for, he slowly changed into his sweater and jeans. He wiped his forehead clean off sweat before putting the towel into his sling bag. He collected all his belongings, including that broken audio player that made him out loudly cursed because he needed to buy a new one as the result. He draped his coat over his shoulder.

He danced and moonwalked to the door before shutting it black. He glanced the clock and blew a raspberry at how much he had danced that day – almost midnight. He pulled out his phone to see only one message from his mother and one from Soojung, but both were from hours ago so he would just reply them later at home. He was tired enough that he needed a hot refreshing bath and his bed badly.

Then he looked up to spot a figure and he stopped in his track. He shook his head several times, hoping he would stop imagining things but instead of fading away, the figure was clearer under the faint streetlight that streamed through the window.

Her head on the backrest of the couch, bobbling to side sometimes but she made it back to the current position while mumbling something under her even breath. She looked peaceful, yet troubled at the same time the moment her forehead wrinkled like she was having a nightmare.

But it was enough to be counted as a nightmare for him, or her, or for both.

He walked, carefully to not wake her up and finally stood in front of her. He felt weak at that moment but not because the dancing he did hours ago, it was just there were a box of cake, along with another gift box by its side, nicely wrapped in glossy paper. Her, feeling another figure in front of her, unconsciously opened her eyes and looked up.

 

“Oh.” She weakly smiled. “You busted me.”

 

There he could see how her eyes slightly swollen and her cheeks were stained and how red her nose was. She had been having a fever and cold for Pete’s sake, yet she was there with a thin cardigan and a dress. He forced a chuckle.

 

“You’re wearing blue.”

 

Soojung blinked, regaining herself and rubbed her eyes. She stayed there, looking back at him and no one moved.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jongin asked.

She stayed silent before snapped out of her thoughts that filled with why and how about the incident earlier. “What—oh my God. Look away!” She stood up abruptly that she almost fell back if he didn't get her steadied. She quickly waved his arms off and scooted down the same level as the table.

“Krys, I swear. What are you doing?” He asked, in a serious confusion.

She glared. “Look away! You’re ruining my plan!”

 

He still didn't get it but did as told nonetheless. Turning around on his heels, he faced the empty street ahead. The light outside even was dimmed. It was filled with her doing some stuff behind him and their foggy breath. Winter was still around although the snow was slowly melted away.

 

“Done?” He asked.

“No! Just wait—okay, done!” She called and he turned around, to be greeted by the sight of a lit up candles and a cake.

 

His eyes trailed to her face, lightened up by the candles. She was smiling, way too much to his liking.

 

“Happy birthday, Jongin!” She said cheerfully, the corner of her eyes

 

But he was too dazed to reply or even blink that he just stood there. One minute of no movement from the said boy and her smile was fading and he was afraid inside that why the hell it was starting to disappear off of her face?

 

“Blow the candle, idiot.” She snapped and he blinked. “Hurry up! Your birthday’s coming to an end!”

 

He really softened at the sight. It was almost perfect the moment he leaned in to blow out the candles when suddenly a gust of wind came from her.

 

She widened her eyes and gasped loudly as she realized, that her sneeze just turned off the candles. “Oh my God! Kai! I’m so so soooorry!” She quickly apologized. “I’m gonna lit up the candles again. We still have time. Keep your wishes.”

 

As quick as she could, she fiddled with the lighter down on the table but her hands were trembling in nervousness so the candles wouldn't lit up.

 

“Damn it.” She hissed. “Wait, okay—ugh, screw this lighter.”

 

Jongin walked there and what she expected the least was a back hug.

 

“Thank you.” He mumbled in her ear. “Thank you, Soojung.”

Her cheeks turned crimson and she was thankful inside that it was dark, but she wriggled to get over his embrace, as much as she wanted more. “K—Kai, just let me light the candles first or else you wouldn't get the chance to say your birthday wishes. It’s a once a year opportunity, you know.”

He chuckled and pulled away to look at her face, but his arms were not loosening up. “Please. I already got and have what I want.”

Her forehead wrinkled. “Noooo. You can—you know like, the examination is coming up soon and you must’ve wished something like you’d do good in it and maybe you could’ve asked for… like, health?”

Jongin’s breath twitched. “What?”

“No! I mean. Well, everyone wants to be healthy, right?” She quickly came to her senses that she wasn't supposed to know anything, and then scolded herself mentally. “It’s almost midnight..”

Jongin didn't hear how much she wanted him to really say his birthday wish that he already back hugging her. “My wishes are only around dancing, my parents, and you.” He closed his eyes and tightening the hug, resting his head on the crook of her neck. “It’s more than enough for now.”

 

The clock ticked and the day was over, changing into a brand new day – January 15. He was still hugging her, not planning to let her go anytime soon. Not until she finally broke it with an idea of eating the cake. They spent the night on the couch; him on her lap while munching the birthday cake until it was left half shaped and they were too full to continue. His face got caked but she got the revenge not long after that.

 

They just enjoyed each other company in the dark.

 

“It’s been a long time, right?” He asked, caressing her cheeks.

She chuckled. “Yeah.” She looked down and moved few strands of his hair from his eyes. “Anyway, you really need a hair cut.”

 

He just laughed it off. They stayed there for a while but it completely enough for both to think inwardly.

He must get that scholarship, and the moment he would be healed from his injury, he made sure that time, she would be the first to know. He had promised himself, he wouldn't lie to her again. The whole injury thingy would be the last time, he said in his mind as he took her hand and kissed it.

Because actions will always speak louder than words for Kim Jongin.

She smiled to him, thinking she must get rid of the disturbing feelings inside her chest. She believed in him. She believed that he would tell her someday about it at the right time. She would just have to wait.

Because Jung Soojung had too much faith in her boyfriend whom she loved so much – Kim Jongin.

 

Then again, little that both knew, that sometimes wishes would be granted – if only the people who wish for it really work for it.


a/n: short update and not properly edited. im sooo sorry :-(