Prologue.

The Boy Who Played With Fire.

 

The soft sounds of sleep could be heard throughout the trailer as the moon glowed solemnly on the path outside.
 
The pad of solid footsteps woke Seohyun from her slumber and she crawled towards the bars of the cage; peering out into the night. A boy was walking past the rows of chained performers, large feet trudging with a heaviness that seemed unnatural, his eyes remained pointed to the ground, a furry hat pulled over a fringe of red locks. The girl's eyes widened; who was this guy? Who would have the courage to stroll into this place? What was he doing here?
 
"Unnie" Seohyun crawled over to her sleeping friend, giving a little growl at the heavy chains before she picked them up and carried them with her.
 
"Unnie" Seohyun poked the older girls shoulder and se stirred, eerily clear eyes opening to look at her.
 
"Ne Seohyun-ah, what's the matter?" she yawned, giving a tug at her chains out of habit, only to have her arm jerked back in a painful reminder. Due to her profession Mi Young's chais were a lot shorter than Seohyun's, a mere three inches before they bolted to the wall, forcing her to sleep in an uncomfortable upright position, but she was used to it by now.
 
"Seohyun please say you have a reason to wake me up" Mi Young grumbled, scratching her head against the wall, her red hair matted from the sleep se had already got.
 
"There is a strange boy walking in front of the cages..." Seohyun whispered nervously, her cute half-moon eyes widening in fear. Mi Young pulled against her chains again, straining to see around the corner of the door to spy the boy Seohyun was on about.
 
"I can't see him Seo"
 
"He'll walk past in a minute" Seohyun turned to look through the bars of the cage, her stare so intense it seemed as if it would bore holes through the bars. She begged for the boy to hurry and walk past so Mi Young wouldn't have woken up for nothing. Also to prove that this circus wasn't driving her mad....
 
Perfectly on cue the boy once again came into view and Mi Young's eye widened, but she quickly hid her surprise, burying the feeling down deep as she studied the tall figure. An empty looking duffel hung off shoulder and his strides were weakened by a slight limp in his right leg. His eyes were downcasted, his mood pbviously sunken; nothing like the flaming red hair protruding form under his beanie. He was so insanely tall that Mi Young almost couldn't see his face through the bars.
 
"Unnie-ah who is he?"
 
"I don't know"
 
Lies.
 
"What's he doing here?"
 
"I don't know, I suppose we'll find out in the morning"
 
"But what if"
 
"Don't worry Seohyun-ah, he's probably just a lost traveller"
 
"But that means..."
 
"That tomorrow we might have a new recruit" Seohyun's eyes widened and she shuffled closer to the bars, her hands gripping at the iron as she peered through, almost crying.
 
"Stop..." she whispered through the bars, but the boy kept walking
 
"Oh I don't like this" Seohyun mumbled, placing her head in her hands before disappearing, chains and all. The boy continued walking and several other protests echoed out from other cages, pleads for him to stop, for him to stop.
 
"Channie please...." Mi Young begged, pulling at her chains. The boy turned at the sound of her voice but his foot was already over the line.
 
"Welcome Park Chanyeol" the easily recognisable voice of the ringmaster rang out throughout the cages
 
"To the circus of demons" the boy smiled and Mi Young whimpered, a tear falling down her cheek, a single red droplet.
 
A tear of blood.