Before the Dawn

One and Only

“Wait, just hold on a second. What exactly happened last night? I don’t think I heard you clearly,” Seohyun sighed miserably, wanting nothing more than to disappear and fade away into a distant memory, as she glanced up from her lap. She looked up at her best friend who tutted impatiently at her while tapping her fingers on the cafeteria table, waiting for a response. The other girl was simply known as Sooyoung who was famous for her sharp tongue and long, toothpick resembling legs that turned heads. Unlike her best friend she was simply plain and unmemorable, there was nothing special about her.

“Just forget about it, okay?” Sooyoung’s face twisted in distaste, that obviously had not been the answer she had excepted nor wanted for that matter, “It’s not worth repeating.”

“No. Stop being so bloody stubborn and just tell me. It really couldn’t have been that bad,” Seohyun’s shoulders slumped down in defeat, once again focusing her attention on her lap brushing a few muffin crumbs off of her skirt.

“But, Sooyoung, I just…Fine, just fine. I’ll tell you,” Sooyoung smiled for once in a pleased manner, for once happy with the answer that she had received, “It happened like this…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun had just begun to rise over the sleepy town of Lily Plain, everything and everyone was where they should be, well almost everyone. Amongst the fallen snow, that was scattered upon the empty streets, a young couple gleefullly laughed as snowballs soared through the frigid air.

“Catch me if you can, loser,” the female of the duo taunted before taking off down the road, her freshly dyed blonde hair flew wildly in the wind as her shrill laughter echoed through the air once more.

Heavy footsteps followed closely behind her, gaining distance with every passing second, huffs and puffs of disapproval could just barely be heard amongst the footsteps. It seems that he highly disapproved of her trivial game. Slow, romantic strolls at the break of the dawn were not her cup of tea, instead she craved to run wild and free. Anyways, she could never disagree with being chased down by her handsome male companion. Much to her disbelief, while she had been lost in her own thoughts, he had caught up to her pace much quicker than she had expected. She squeaked in surprise when his hand reached out to grab her own yet it narrowly missed, giving her extra time to turn the corner and momentarily disappear from his sight.

“Oh, honey, it wasn’t going to be that easy,” she momentarily turned her head to smile at him, in a sickeningly sweet manner, ignoring the unhappy scowl that was set on his face.

“Jinah, just stop running. Let’s go get coffee or something,” he once again reached out in an attempt to grab her hand, sighing miserably to himself when his hand simply swung in the air. It unfortunately, for him, seemed that she wasn’t going to give up until he had properly stopped her.

Yet she had only enough time to turn the next corner before he successfully grabbed a hold of her hand, abruptly stopping her in her tracks. She quietly sighed in defeat, he had once again caught her, looking up at the still dark skies before wrapping her mitten clad hands around his neck.

“I guess… I lost again, huh?” she pouted, in a childish manner, snuggling up against his chest in an attempt to warm up her frozen body. Her cheeks were now tinted pink and a shiver crept up her spine. All she wanted to do now was curl up under a blanket, whether she was alone or with the man before her.

“Yes. Now, where’s my prize?” he brushed away a few strands of hair that had stuck to her face as he stared down at her in absolute adoration. Time had almost stopped in this moment, it was too perfect.

She paused, lifting her head to blink innocently at him before rising up on her tip toes, blinking at him once more, and pressed her lips softly against his. In this moment there was only the two of them, nothing was going to ruin this for them. Not even the sound of a vase shattering upon a wood floor as a brunette girl stared out the window in shock of what she was witnessing, tears gathering in her eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh my god, that idiot,” Seohyun laid her head down on the cafeteria table, groaning in pain when it collided with her textbooks, hiding her face behind a mass of loosely curled, chestnut brown hair, “Someone ought to smack some sense into the boys head, I don’t even know why you still stay with him.”

“No, just leave him be. It’s obvious that he’s happier that way,” the hair that had flopped across her face, like a curtain, hide her eyes that had begun to well up with tears once again, “Maybe you’re right though, it’s time to cut my loses.”

“Of course I’m right. Now lift up your head before you get all dirty,” Sooyoung reached out to gently pat the top her head, in a reassuring manner, before continually urging her to lift up her head. It took a minute or two before she lifted her head and smoothed down her hair, wiping away the stray tears that rolled down her face.

“I’m so lame, crying at school over some stupid boy,” Seohyun absentmindedly picked at her blueberry muffin, tossing the loose crumbs onto the ground, distracted by the sadness that clouded her mind.

“Speak of the devil, here he comes. Remember to be pretty,” Sooyoung grumbled unhappily at the approaching figure, patting her best friend’s hand in support before plastered a fake smile upon her faces.

“Hello there, ladies. Do you mind if I steal Seohyun for a moment, Sooyoung? I’ll have her back before lunch is over,” Myungsoo, a tall third year whom was the basketball captain and her current boyfriend, for now, smiled happily before pulling Seohyun to her feet. Sooyoung waved her hand in dismissal, popping open her can of diet coke. Myungsoo pulled her away from her friend to a quiet hallway before he stopped.

He paused, shifting uncomfortably, glancing up and down the hallway to ensure that they were of earshot of everyone. “It’s over…”