Cookie VS Fate

Cookie VS Fate

 

Is it possible to believe in fate based on a piece of fortune cookie? 

Every morning, Victoria would buy 3 fortune cookies from the cafe she always patron for breakfast. One fine day, after taking a sip of her Caramel Macchiato, she cracks the cookie. Every fortune cookie will have a message written on a piece of paper. No one knows who actually write these messages. Some people take the message lightly, while some believes in it whole heartedly. One of them is named Victoria Song.

“ Omo! Someone who wears blue? Gotta keep my eyes open for a man in blue ”, she whispered under her breath.

“ He who wears blue is meant for you? Gosh how corny is that? You don’t actually believe in that.. Or do you? ” Victoria looked up to see the owner of that voice. Sarcasm was written all over that tone of his. He was a well-built guy. Tall, fair skin.. has a face of a pretty boy.

Victoria shot a disgusted look at him and speak with a stern voice, “ Mind your own business. It’s a free country and I can do whatever I wanna do. So if you don’t mind, I wish to have my breakfast in peace.”

Nichkhun chuckled. Without hesitation, he grabbed another fortune cookie from Victoria’s table and cracked it. 

“ Yah! ” Victoria shouted and stood up. Before she knows it, he was reading the message. 

“ Stay away from red.” Nichkhun looks down at his attire and exclaimed. “ Oh my God! I’m wearing a red uniform! You should totally stay from me.” After mocking Victoria, he laughed heartily and walked to the counter. 

Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder. Nichkhun turned and felt a sharp pain on his cheek. Being fair skinned, his cheek turned red in seconds. 

Victoria slapped him. 

Nichkhun was lost for words. Never in his entire life, slapped by a woman. Not even his mother. But he just got slapped by this cafe patron. In other words, he was slapped in PUBLIC. All eyes were on them. 

Funny thing is, embarrassment was not the emotion he felt. 

It was guilty. What made him remorseful was her eyes. Her eyes filled with tears. He had no idea he had offended her that tremendous. As he was about to apologized, Victoria stormed out of the cafe.

Nichkhun who was still dumbfounded, was approached by his fellow waiter.

” Hey dude, she’s a regular here. I know you’re new but I think you should know something bout that lady.” Minho speaked. ” She will always visit the cafe in the morning for breakfast with her a guy. Old enough to be his dad. Their relationship was envied by most of us here. It’s pretty obvious from the way she treats him, it’s her dad. But 2 months ago, she starts visiting alone. At times I see tears in her eyes. Afterwards, it all became clear when we read an article of an accident. Her dad passed away.” 

Upon hearing Minho’s words, Nichkhun looked over to the table Victoria was having her breakfast. To his dismay, he saw 2 cups of Caramel Macchiato. One of them was untouched. 

Without hesitation, he dashed out of the cafe. 

” Hey Khun! You’re working now! ”

“ I’ll be back! Give me a minute.”

Nichkhun went down the street trying to find a lady in a brown trench coat. 

“Bless you God!” Nichkhun exclaimed as he saw Victoria crossing the road. But she was not alone. A man in a blue windbreaker was escorting her. Nichkhun followed them from a distance. He wanted to approach her but the guy will most probably stop him from doing so. 

Out of the blue, they turned to an alley. A few seconds later, Nichkhun heard a shrieking scream. He ran to the alley and saw the guy in blue, with his pants down. The flasher was astonished as he saw Nichkhun. He quickly pulled up his pants and fled. 

Victoria who was still shaken and covering her face with her hands, starts hitting Nichkhun assuming the flasher was still in front of her. 

“Get lost!! Get lost you freaking psycho!” 

Nichkhun not knowing what else to do, hugged her tight. 

“Shh Shh.. There there.. The flasher is gone, Miss.” Nichkhun tried to calm her down. 

Victoria was relieved but still shaken. Tears starts to well up as she thought of her life alone in this cruel world. Since the only person she loved and depend on has passed away, Victoria has not felt the warmth of someone hugging her. She hugged him back. Tighter. She has no idea who this person is but her heart says she can trust him. 

Nichkhun her long brunette hair. He was quite surprised when she hugged him back. 

After awhile, Victoria looked up to see the kind-hearted person who has been hugging her for the past 8 minutes.

Her expression turned blank. Disappointed. 

“You?!” 

 Nichkhun released his embrace. He was expecting another slap or a kick from her. He shut his eyes close, waiting for the worse. 

Victoria looked at the guy in front of her. He looks adorable with that expression on his face. To be honest, he is pretty good-looking. She recalled the guy in blue who approached her just now. She gave her trust to him simply because he was in blue. She believed the fortune cookie and thought he might be the one. Instead he turned out to be someone taking advantage of her gullible character. This guy on the other hand, was in fact wearing red. If she were to follow the message, she should stay away from him. 

Nichkhun who had been keeping his eyes closed, opens them widely. He felt a peck on his cheek. Her lips were soft and warm.

“I’ve decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for getting rid of the flasher. I’m Victoria” putting out her hand for a handshake.

He saw her smile for the first time. She is beautiful. Her eyes, her hair.. Everything bout her had Nichkhun in awe. Why didn’t he realized all these at the cafe? 

It took him quite some time to get back to Earth and start stuttering,

“Err I.. I’m Nichkhun. Sorry for being rude just now. I don’t mean to mock you” 

“Nichkhun? What kind of name is that? Hahahaha!” Victoria throw her head back and laughed out loud. She walked a few steps away from him until she turned and said 

“Now we’re even.” and sticked out her tongue. 

Nichkhun was stunned by her sudden character change. With a smile, he ran to her and starts teasing her, pinching her cheek and poking her hips jokingly. 

Sometimes it’s better to let fate do their job. Believing in something trivial might not get you anywhere.