Oh My Beautiful Target

My Neighbor, Shin Dongwoo [Hiatus]

A/n: I know there's very little of CNU in this chapter but he will appear more later! ^^

 

Incheon International Airport 6:30AM

Juniel walked through the arrival gate with a wide grin plastered on her face. She was happy to be back in Korea again, she missed her home so much….the people here, the sights and sounds, just everything.

“Ahhh…” Juniel gave a satisfied sigh as she pulled her hot pink luggage along with her. She was carrying a guitar behind her back and wearing a flowy floral dress that reached to just above her knee and a pair of fluffy winter boots, she had a pair of sunglasses on and her camel colored jacket hung over her arm.

“It’s Juniel…”

“She’s back….”

Juniel could hear the excited whispers from the crowd as they pulled out their cameras to snap pictures.

“Juniel ssi….mind if we ask you a few questions?” A group of people came running up to her, holding mikes and video cameras.

“Ahh…I’ll answer just a few.” Juniel replied, removing her sunglasses.

“We heard Warner Music Japan is interested in signing a contract with you, is that true..?”

“Why are you back in Korea? I hard FNC Entertainment is also interested in signing with you?” They asked, shoving the mike towards Juniel’s face.

“Those are just rumours, I prefer to be an indie artise…then I can have more freedom to write my own music and explore my own style.” Juniel replied coolly.

“The are rumours that you and CNBLUE’s Lee Jonghyun are dating, are those true?”

Juniel smiled at the camera, seemingly unfazed by the flashing lights.

“Jonghyun ssi and I are like Sunbae and Hoobae…that is all.”

The reporters rattled on some more questions as Juniel looked towards the luggage belt, catching sight of a cardboard box tied with string and her name written all over it.

“Ah! My caramel pudding!!” she shouted, as she pushed her way through the reporters, running towards the belt.

She smiled as she pulled the box off the belt and onto an airport trolley, pushing it towards the taxi stand outside.

“Ahh…it’s cold!” Juniel cringed as she quickly pulled on her jacket.

“Taek..!” she raised her arm ready to flag a taxi when someone horned.

Juniel lowered her arm as she looked to her left, a black Audi was pulled up against the sidewalk.

“Who could it be?” Juniel mumbled to herself as she walked towards the side of the car.

The driver wound down the window revealing his face.

“Oppa!” Juniel cried out in surprise as she realized it was Jonghyun inside.

“Aigoo….my dongsaeng is finally back.” Jonghyun teased as he ruffled Juniel’s hair.

Juniel beamed widely at Jonghyun’s face….it had been such a long time since she had seen him, she missed him so much!

“Hurry and get in the car, it’s cold. I’ll put your luggage in the boot.”

Juniel nodded quickly and pulled open the car door hopping into the passenger seat, while Jonghyun loaded her luggage into the boot.

Later, Juniel and Jonghyun were already cruising along the expressway towards Seoul.

“Oppa…I thought you were busy working, how did you manage to come to the airport?” Juniel asked, looking towards Jonghyun.

“That’s why it’s called a surprise…I wanted to surprise you!” Jonghyun replied.

“Well you succeeded..” Juniel said as they laughed together.

“Yahhh….it’s been so long since I’ve seen you, looks like Oppa has become more handsome.” Juniel giggled.

Jonghyun chuckled as he looked away from the wheel at Juniel.

“My Dongsaeng has become prettier too!” he winked.

“Oppa….Just now some reporters asked me if the both of us were dating.” Juniel started, waiting for a reaction from Jonghyun.

“What? The both of us dating?? That’s impossible!” Jonghyun laughed.

Juniel’s expression changed after Jonghyun’s strong reaction, after all she had been carrying a torch for him ever since they met…and he just crushed all her hopes with just that one sentence.

“That’s right….it’s impossible isn’t it…oppa doesn’t have that kind of feelings for me at all…” Juniel pouted, looking out the window.

“Jun hee ya….” Jonghyun turned to look at Juniel, feeling a little guilty.

“Jun hee ya….don’t be like that…” Jonghyun said, after not hearing a reply from Juniel.

“Oppa will bring you out for a meal later okay? Your favorite…pasta.” He continued, trying to lighten the mood a little.

“I’m fine…I don’t feel hungry, I just had a meal on the plane.” Juniel replied, it was obvious she didn’t have a chance with Jonghyun….he merely treated her like a little sister.

“Don’t be like that…we’ll go okay?” Jonghyun insisted.

Juniel gave a little nod and Jonghyun smiled a little as the car continued to cruise along the expressway.

 

Ocean Garden Apartments, Gangdong-gu, Seoul 8:00AM

“Duuu duu duu….duu duu duu….” The sound of CNU’s alarm pierced the room as he moved in bed, it was time to wake up.

CNU turned off the alarm as he sat up straight in bed, his long shoulder length hair was messy and tangled and his fringe was covering half of his face.

CNU blinked sleepily as he pushed the blanket off his body and got off his bed, walking towards the bathroom.

Meanwhile, downstairs Jonghyun’s car had pulled up at the car park of the apartment building.

“Oh, Eonni…I’ve arrived at the apartment already.” Juniel was talking to her sister over the phone, she took a deep breath as she looked up at the tall apartment building….it looked quite decent for the cheap rent.

“Ne…I see the delivery man…” she said as she walked over to a man unloading boxes out of a truck.

“Mmm…arraso eonni…I’m hanging up now.” She finished, shoving her phone in her pocket.

“Jeogiyo…”

“Juniel ssi?” the man asked.

“Ye….are these all?” she asked, checking the boxes.

“Please sign here.” The man said, handing her a piece of paper.

“Gomawo.” Juniel thanked the man as she handed him back the paper.

“Oppa…do you think you can carry these up?” Juniel, turnd to Jonghyun.

“I’ll try..” Jonghyun replied as he picked up a few boxes.

Juniel and Jonghyun lugged the heavy boxes out of the lift as the finally reached the apartment which was just a few steps away.

“Where do you want me to put them?” Jonghyun asked.

“Just leave them here, I’ll unpack them later.” Juniel replied, pointing to the center of the main room.

“I’ll go carry up the rest of the boxes, you can stay here.” Jonghyun told Juniel as he left the apartment.

Juniel took a deep breath as she looked around the apartment, there was a main hall with a kitchen and one room. She smiled as she walked towards the window and pulled open the pastel checkered pattern curtain.

“Wah….the other building is so near…it’s like you can see everything.” She mumbled to herself, staring at the window directly opposite hers.

As Juniel was looking out her window, the owner of the apartment opposite hers, CNU was coming out of the bathroom in a singlet and baggy pyjama pants with bears and rabbits all over them. He had his toothbrush in his mouth and was wearing a furry brown beanie with the face of a bear and even two ears sticking out of the top.

CNU pushed his black-rimmed spectacles up his nose as he walked towards the window. He stretched his body as he tugged the curtains open….revealing Juniel who was now staring at him.

“Oh!” Juniel was surprised by CNU’s sudden appearance, then she smiled and waved at CNU, grinning.

CNU stood there stunned for a moment, he widened his eyes as he realized Juniel waving at him…then he quickly pulled the curtain shut, turning his back towards the window.

“What? I thought that apartment wasn’t occupied.” CNU mumbled to himself, then he looked down at his clothes and realized what he was wearing.

“Aishhh..so embarrassing!” he complained as he pulled the toothbrush out of his mouth and marched into the bathroom.

Juniel giggled to herself and she went to the couch to sit down, she thought the way the guy was dressed was kinda cute…with the fluffy bear beanie and everything.

“That’s everything!” Jonghyun’s voice sounded as he placed the last box onto the floor.

“Oppa, I’ll get you a glass of water.” Juniel said, running into the kitchen.

“It’s okay, you haven’t unpacked yet…why not we go get that pasta now?” Jonghyun smiled.

“Mmm! Sounds great.” Juniel replied as she followed Jonghyun out the door.

In Jonghyun’s car on the way to the Pasta place, Jonghyun’s handphone rang.

Jonghyun stared at his phone for a while before answering.

“Hye Jeong ah…” he spoke, looking nervously towards Juniel.

“Oppa…where are you now?” Hye Jeong asked.

Juniel frowned a little as she heard Hye Jeong’s voice over the phone.

“I’m taking Juniel for pasta…she just got back from Japan.”

“Oh, pasta?? Oppa can I come too??!”

Jonghyun was about to reply when Hye Jeong cut him off.

“I’ll wait at the shop for you!” she said as she hung up.

Jonghyun stared at his phone blankly, he was worried that Hye Jeong coming wouldn’t be such a good idea.

“Was that Hye Jeong eonni?” Juniel asked, pretending she didn’t know.

“Yeah…she said she’ll wait at the pasta place for us.” Jonghyun replied, looking at Juniel for a reaction.

Juniel just shrugged as she looked out the window.

“Jun hee ya…” Jonghyun started.

“It’s fine oppa…” Juniel waved him off.

The rest of the car journey was quiet as they reached the restaurant.

“Oppa! Juniel ya…” Hye Jeong called out to them, waving excitedly.

“Eonni…” Juniel mumbled in reply, she wasn’t particularly happy to see her.

“Juniel ya…you look good…how was your flight?” Hye Jeong asked.

“It was good, Jonghyun oppa picked me up from the airport and helped me carry up my stuff to my apartment.” Juniel beamed, wanting to show off a little in front of Hye Jeong.

Hye Jeong smiled widely as she looked towards Jonghyun.

“Let’s go get a seat.” She said, pulling Jonghyun along with her by his arm.

Juniel rolled her eyes as she followed behind, Jonghyun turned his head behind a little worried that Juniel might have one of her outbursts again.

There was an awkward silence at the table as the three of them looked at each other.

Juniel grabbed the glass of water off the table as she gulped down the water, almost finishing the whole glass at one shot.

“Juniel ya….if you need any help with your unpacking don’t hesitate to call me all right? I’ll come down to help you.” Hye Jeong offered.

“As if I would need your help.”

Juniel thought, as she put the glass back on the table.

“Mmmm…I will Eonni.” She replied.

“She’s just trying to be nice since Jonghyun’s here.”

A few moments later, the food came.

“Oppa, do you want to try some of mine?” Hye Jeong asked in a cutesy voice, twirling some of her pasta around her fork and offering it to Jonghyun.

“Ahhhh…” she said, holding the fork in front of Jonghyun’s mouth.

Jonghyun looked towards Juniel, who was already staring daggers, he quickly took the fork from Hye Jeong’s hand and ate the pasta.

“Mmm…it’s good..” he said quickly.

“Jun hee ya….have some more prawns, I know you like them.” He smiled, placing a prawn on Juniel’s plate.

There was a look of discontent of Hye Jeong’s face which made Juniel feel better for a moment.

“Oppa, you can have my clams.” She smiled, passing them over to Jonghyun’s plate.

Just as she did that, her hand knocked over the glass of water which splashed on  Hye Jeong’s dress.

“Ahhhhh!” Hye Jeong screamed.

“Oh! Mianhae eonni! I didn’t see…”

“Hye Jeong ah…are you okay?”

“Aishhh…my new dress, I need to go to the washroom.” She said, standing up.

She stared angrily at Juniel as she threw the napkin on the seat and walked off angrily towards the washroom.

Juniel sighed as she watched Hye Jeong walk off, she really didn’t mean to do that on purpose.

“Jun hee ya, why did you have to do that?” Jonghyun asked.

“Oppa! It wasn’t on purpose!” Juniel protested.

Jonghyun sighed. “I know you don’t really like Hye Jeong but….why don’t you two try to get along huh?” Jonghyun continued.

“Oppa! What are you saying!? You think I split the water on her on purpose!?” Juniel was getting angry now, she was upset that Jonghyun thought that she would even resort to these kind of tricks.

“Shhh…people are watching.” Jonghyun whispered, grabbing Juniel’s hand.

Juniel laughed in disbelief as she pulled her hand away from Jonghyun’s grip.

“Oppa…I can’t believe you think I split the water on Hye Jeong on purpose…”

“I just want you two to get along, that’s all…”

“Forget it.” Juniel didn’t want to carry on the conversation anymore.

“I’m leaving.” She said, as she got up from her seat.

“Jun hee ya, why are you being like this?” Jonghyun stood up after her.

“I had enough of you always blaming me for everything that happens…sometimes I really wonder if you care for me as much as I care for you!” Juniel finished as she grabbed her bag and stormed off, leaving Jonghyun standing there.

Juniel slung her bag over her shoulder as she took off down the street, still angry at Jonghyun for always treating her like that.

Because she liked him…..more than just a sunbae…or an oppa…she liked him more than that, but he didn’t seem to like her back in that way.

Juniel wasn’t concentrating on where she was going, or looking at where she was going.

At this moment, Ah In has just bought some groceries and was walking in the opposite direction from Juniel. He lived in the same building was CNU and was his next door neighbour.

Then, Juniel knocked into him and her handphone fell onto the ground

“Ah, Mian!” he apologized as he picked up her phone as passed it back to her.

“Thanks.” Juniel smiled as she took the phone from him and continued walking.

“Oh.” Ah In said to himself as he blinked, he had a glance at Juniel’s face for a brief second just now…why did he find her so familiar.

He frowned as he pulled out a lollipop from his grocery bag, tearing off the wrapper and popping it into his mouth before starting to walk again.

“I definitely have seen her somewhere.” He said to himself, scratching his head.

Juniel had cooled off a bit by now and she was strolling around when her stomach made a little noise.

“Aishhh….I didn’t even get to finish my pasta.” She mumbled, rubbing her tummy.

She looked around when she spotted a small tent stall selling street food, looked at the food and then she turned to look at the person standing at the tent stall, it was the guy from earlier, the one that lived opposite her!

A few hours earlier.

CNU was in his bathroom, finishing brushing his teeth when he turned to the left and realized there wasn’t any more toilet paper left.

“Ah….no more…” he said to himself as he left the bathroom and went to the fridge.

He realized his last carton of milk was gone too.

“This won’t do…I’ll have to go out…” he said, closing the fridge.

That’s why he was at the tent stall buying food.

“Ahjumma! Dukkbokki please.” Juniel smiled as she sat down on the seat next to CNU.

Juniel smiled as she looked towards CNU, he caught her eye and then quickly looked away.

“You’re bear head boy aren’t you?” Juniel asked, grinning at CNU.

CNU bit his lip as his memory flashed back to this morning when she had seen her in his pyjamas looking like a total idiot.

“Aish….jjinja….” CNU thought, feeling so embarrassed.

“Hehe…” Juniel giggled as she stuffed a piece of dukkbokki in .

“Oh…you’re doing a takeaway?” Juniel asked, looking towards the ahjumma who was putting food into CNU’s containers.

CNU turned his head a little towards Juniel and then he looked away again.

“Can you stop talking to me?”

Juniel smiled. “You don’t know me do you? I’m Juniel! I live opposite you…we saw each other this morning! I just moved in.” she said excitedly.

“She just can’t stop talking can she?”

CNU just closed the lid on his container and then picked up his food and left.

“Oh! You’re leaving already?” Juniel said, as CNU started to walk away.

“Ahjumma! Keep the change!” Juniel said, placing the money on the table as she ran after CNU.

“Why is she following me?!”

“Let’s go together, since we live next to each other.” Juniel smiled, jogging up beside CNU.

CNU started to walk faster…

“You don’t talk much do you?”

…and faster..

“Yah! Bear head boy!” Juniel jogged after him.

“Stop calling me that.”

Juniel made a face at CNU as she over took him and started to walk backwards, facing him.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

“Shindongwoo..” CNU said quickly and softly, finally speaking.

“What? Shin…Woo?” Juniel asked.

Just then, Juniel stepped out into the road without looking and a car which was coming towards her horned loudly.

At that moment, CNU quickly grabbed Juniel’s arm and pulled her back into the walkway…and towards him…just inches away form his face.

Juniel blinked as she stared at CNU, his hand still holding onto her arm.

CNU quickly looked away and let go of Juniel’s arm, walking ahead of her.

“You have to be careful.” He said.

Juniel smiled as she ran after him.

“Shin Woo ssi….gomawo.” she thanked, putting her face in front of him and grinning.

“It’s Shin…Dongwoo…”

“We’re here, I’ll go in now.” CNU said, walking towards the entrance of the apartment building, he couldn’t wait to get back to his cozy room.

“See you around Shin Woo ssi!!” Juniel called out as she waved.

At the moment, Ah In was also returning home when he saw Juniel and CNU together.

“Oh…isn’t that…the guy next door….why is he outside, he doesn’t even go out.”

“and..that’s the girl I bumped into! Do they know each other?” he thought as he waited for them to leave.

“Ah! So Cold!” he said, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets and running inside the building.

Ah In realized the lift was about to close to he ran and jammed his hand in between the doors.

The doors slid open as it revealed a shock CNU…standing motionless inside.

“Sorry.” Ah In smiled as he stood next to CNU.

He bowed at CNU who bowed back.

Ah In bit his lip as the lift rose, till trying to figure out who the girl was and why she looked to familiar.