Coffeeshop Spat

Your Words

 

 
After a slew of meetings with managers, it was the afternoon, and Sunggyu was dying for a pick-me-up.  He scanned the streets, found a coffee shop, and headed inside.
 
To his disdain, there was a long line of people. He hated waiting, but he had no other choice. He watched the workers bustling behind the counter, filling people's drinks.
 
Finally, it was his turn to order, but when he looked up, his smile dropped. Standing before him was the girl from that morning. The girl who eerily leaned over the ledge of the bridge, and who spat at him when he saved her.
 
This time, he wasn't stunned speechless. In fact, he was going to give her a piece of his mind.
 
"What can I get for you," she asked tiredly without looking up.
 
"YAH!" he shouted, coaxing her to meet his eye. He watched as she also frowned in recognition.
 
"Y...you," she said.
 
He chuckled darkly. "Me." Then, in seriousness, he snarled at her. "What the hell were you thinking this morning?!"
 
She scoffed. "Me?! You were the one that grabbed me, you jerk!"
 
"Mwo?? Jerk?! Well, what was I supposed to think?! You looked like you were about to jump!"
 
"You could have said something! You didn't have to play the hero and try to save me!!" She frowned hard, and Sunggyu read a stubbornness in her face that only angered him more.
 
"You were leaning over the edge!" Sunggyu shook his head, clenching his fists in his anger. "Just what the hell were you doing anyways?!"
 
"What does it matter to you?? Once again, can't you learn to mind your own damn business?"
 
They sent each other death glares across the counter, hardly noticing that a hush fell over the coffee shop as everyone turned to watch. They didn't even break eye contact when the manager came over in a huff.
 
"Yah, Mina! What's going on here?"
 
"This customer is an !"
 
Too late, Mina realized what she had said. She clasped a hand over , turning to her manager with wide and fearful eyes. The manager's face reddened with rage, and quickly Mina tried to defend herself. 
 
"Well, it's the truth! He's been harassing me since this morning--"
 
But suddenly, the manager cut her off with a loud shout. "You're OUT of here, Mina!"
 
"MWO?? No, please, I need this job--"
 
"YOU'RE FIRED!"
 
Across the counter, Sunggyu froze. A pang of guilt plunged through his chest. He hadn't meant for it to get this far -- he only meant to get some answers about why that girl stood on the ledge of the bridge, or maybe get her to apologize for her rudeness that morning. But now, he'd just lost this crazy girl her job.
 
He tried to speak up. "Ch-chogiyo..."
 
The girl silently clenched her fists, her face flushing with anger and humiliation. When he spoke, she looked up, throwing Sunggyu a glare of pure hate, and then angrily stormed into the back of the coffeehouse.
 
Sunggyu watched her go, frozen in his spot.
 
"I'm so sorry, sir. How can I help you?" The manager assumed her spot at the register, looking up at Sunggyu and waiting for his order. "Sir, don't worry about her. It's her fault, not yours. She did this to herself."
 
Slowly, Sunggyu blinked. Then, he his heel and quickly escaped from the coffeehouse.
 
***
 
Out on the sidewalk, Sunggyu lowered his head and seethed, clenching his fists with all his might. He didn't notice that he was starting to get people's attention. Excited teenage girls who passed by ogled him, recognizing him as one of the boys of Infinite.
 
"Ch-chogiyo?"
 
He looked up. A girl about his age had approached him with a cautious smile.
 
"Aren't you famous? Aren't you from Infinite?"
 
He was so not in the mood for fans right now. He made to answer, but then out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the girl from the coffeeshop. She stormed out of its side alley, walking briskly away from him down the sidewalk.
 
"Choesonghamnida," he said, bowing to the fan before him. Then, he sprinted after the crazy coffeeshop girl.
 
"Yah," he tried once he caught up to her.
 
She peeked at him and then, upon recognizing him, wheeled at him. "What the HELL do you want now??"
 
"Look, I'm sorry--" he tried, but she spun back on her heel and walked even quicker away from him.
 
"YAH!" He ran forth, grabbing her wrist to roughly turn her towards him. "I'm trying to apologize! Won't you just hear me out?"
 
All of a sudden, she reached her free hand up and slapped him clean across the face. The actual impact of it wasn't hard, but he still felt winded that the girl would slap him at all. He froze, one hand on his cheek, and wielded an angry glare towards her.
 
Her eyes were wide too, as if her own act also surprised her. She blushed, cleared , and tried to recover. "S-serves you right."
 
He stood, dumbfounded, as she strode away from him, disappearing around the next corner.
 
*******
 
"Damn, hyung. Seems like a streak of bad luck."
 
Sunggyu held his head in his hands as he and Woohyun sat at the table of their dorm. He had just finished telling Woohyun the weird events of his day.
 
"Do you even know who she is?"
 
"Ani."
 
Woohyun smiled greasily. "Well, maybe she's an Inspirit, and our next performance will brighten her day."
 
Sunggyu rolled his eyes at his goofy friend. "I need to clear my head. I think I'll take a nap." He rose, making for his room, but when he got there, he began searching his duffel bag. He picked out his favorite book and crashed onto his bed with a sigh. Maybe the mysterious author Ari can help calm his hectic mind.
 
***
 
Chapter 1: A Moment
 
There is so much power in any one moment. An exchange of words. A stolen glance. Or, maybe even a slight touch. These moments shouldn't be taken for granted, but rather should be celebrated. They should be held tight, cradled against our chests, where they can be remembered with fondness.
 
Because any one of these moments has the power to change a life.
 
 
---
 
 
I have a mad crush on Sunggyu.