Sweet Potato Lattes

Sweet Potato Lattes

 

Title: Love in the Milky Way Cafe

Author: turtleclouds/piikanana

For: Anonymous [lol]

Genre: AU, Fluff, Crack

♥규 성♥

Kyuhyun frowns as he repeatedly presses the F5 button, wishing that a new story will magically appear on his laptop screen. Nothing happens. He quickly taps on his keyboard, opening new windows and checks all his bookmarks and favorite websites.

 

Tumblr, Livejournal, AsianFanfics. No updates anywhere to be seen. The only thing that floods his dashboard and friends' pages are the plethora of YunJae fanfics. He narrows his eyes as he spots his favorite writer turning to the dark side and writing an NC-17 YunJae. He groans in agony and wonders why she isn't updating the AU HoMin. The last chapter was a cliffhanger, and Kyuhyun is convinced that the next chapter would include some y times between his two favorite band members.

 

But despite his wishful thinking, no updates. No new fics. Nothing.

 

Kyuhyun lets out a wail of despair - the life of a fanboy is too difficult. It was bad enough he couldn't go to the last concert because of a computer science midterm (and Kyuhyun would never, never, miss his midterms). Now even the pleasure of watching fancams and reading fanfics have been taken away from him.  It was as if the universe was conspiring against him, forcing him to enter the realm of fanfics featuring the other members.

 

As Kyuhyun reads about Changmin pining away for Yoochun, he rolls his eyes. Everyone knows that it wasn't possible - Changmin and Yunho are so obviously real, and every other pairing are obviously just putting on a show for the crazy fans. But he continues reading the story anyways, picking out holes in the plotline and correcting all the grammar.

 

The thought "I could do better" suddenly occurs to him, and Kyuhyun officially finds a new hobby that could keep him busy during the awkward hours in-between classes.

 

•••••

 

Kyuhyun doesn't really remember how he became a fanboy. He used to scoff at the posters that covered his sister's wall, and wondered what she saw in them. Their voices weren't even that great, and he thinks their taste in fashion was very questionable, especially with the ridiculous plaid shirts and leather pants.

 

But that one music video of that one song changed his life, and he soon started to worship the very ground they stood upon. It is a guilty pleasure though, and anyone who walked into his dorm would have thought Kyuhyun to be the game-loving nerd that he is. Game posters are stuck onto the wall, and even TV series like Game of Thrones. But his precious idols are kept on his laptop. He has folders of all of their music videos, variety show appearances, music show performances. He has proof of all the HoMin interactions in neatly arranged folders of the dates and locations of the OTP moments.

 

Even though he has all the moments and can easily write a canon fic, Kyuhyun still feels uninspired. He doesn't feel like he can effectively convey the emotion that simply and obviously oozes out of all the small moments that the two idols share.

 

So Kyuhyun is sitting in the small, hipster cafe close to the chemistry building, sipping on a sweet potato latte. He brainstorms plots, but decides that all of them are stupid, and that he doesn't have the patience to write them. He wants to write something epic, something that would bring in all the fangirls that would flood his page with comments of love and admiration.

 

He is just about to click "create an account" on Livejournal when suddenly someone sits himself opposite Kyuhyun. He looks up and sees a guy who is probably from the music department or the arts department. He is dressed badly, in Kyuhyun's opinion, in all black with some loose chains hanging off his shirt and leather. There's also holes in his black sweater, which Kyuhyun thinks is ridiculous - after all, it's 5 degrees outside. His hair is messy, and there's a good amount of black eyeliner. Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and instead continues to concentrate on his laptop screen.

 

"Hi. Are you drinking a sweet potato latte?" Kyuhyun nods, and pays no attention. At the back of his mind, he's busy thinking of potential usernames, ones that don't sound stupid.

 

"Let's be friends! My name is Kim Jongwoon. I'm a senior here, music major. I love sweet potato lattes too."

 

"Please, leave me in peace."

 

Kyuhyun's heart thumps as his username is approved, and then wonders what other people might think of it. He registers that the guy in front of him is still talking, going on and on about something until his phone suddenly goes off, an alarm reminding him that there are 10 minutes until his organic chemistry class starts.

 

He quickly packs everything up and gulps down the remaining coffee in his cup. The man, Kim Jongwoon, watches him with a sparkle in his eye. Kyuhyun doesn't even bother saying bye, and hastily leaves. He is so preoccupied with getting himself out of the cafe that he doesn't notice the sign that warns people of a slippery floor.

 

So of course Kyuhyun slips. But instead of crashing to the floor onto his like he normally does, he lands in the arms of Kim Jongwoon, who just so happened to catch him after he stood up behind Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun looks up into Jongwoon's face, and realizes that Jongwoon still doesn't let go of him. But the only thought that occurs to him is the question ‘Why does he put on so much makeup even when he looks so good already?’But Kyuhyun bites his tongue and keeps his thoughts to himself.

 

"Your eyes look gorgeous."

 

Kyuhyun almost wants to puke at how cheesy Jongwoon sounds. But before he can make a snide remark, Jongwoon pulls off Kyuhyun's glasses, and plants a kiss on his forehead.

 

"You're pretty attractive. I don't know why I never noticed you before."

 

Before Kyuhyun can process why his heart is beating like crazy, someone from behind the counter calls out Kim Jongwoon's name and tells him that his break is over. Jongwoon helps Kyuhyun up, but doesn't let go of his arms.

 

"What's your name?"

"Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun."

"Okay Kyuhyun. I'll see you around. I gotta go work my shift now."

 

Jongwoon winks at Kyuhyun before he walks back confidently and ties an apron around his clothes. But he suddenly remembers that he has to run and learn about all the different hydrocarbons, so he runs off without a second glance back.

 

•••••

 

Ever since the day of initially meeting Jongwoon, Kyuhyun always bumps into him when he goes to the cafe to work or kill time before class. Jongwoon would treat him to coffee on days that he was working behind the counter, or would sit with him when he's on break.

 

By the end of a month, Kyuhyun knew more about Jongwoon than he did about his own sister. Jongwoon would just talk at Kyuhyun even though Kyuhyun barely replies as he's busy thinking of scenarios to write about, or sometimes he's in the process of writing or editing.

 

Kyuhyun knows that Jongwoon's favorite color is red, and that his birthday is August 24th. He knows that Jongwoon's favorite class is a classical music class even though his favorite genre is rock, and that Jongwoon has concert choir rehearsals every Friday afternoon. His band has 5 members - him, Lee Sungmin and Henry Lau playing guitar, Kim Ryeowook on the keyboard and Park Jungsu on the drums. Kyuhyun even knows who Jongwoon's band members have a crush on, and that was the time he came to the realization that he knows far too much about Jongwoon's life.

 

Jongwoon would often complain that Kyuhyun doesn't talk enough about himself - he would often throw random questions at Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun would reluctantly answer them all. But he's always thinking about what's on his laptop screen as opposed to fully concentrating on Jongwoon. He has started at least ten different stories, but ended up deleting all of them because he didn't like them enough.

 

Kyuhyun finally thinks of a satisfactory plot that he thinks might work. The idea is that the two of them meet in a cafe, and it's love at first sight. He's in the middle of writing out the plot when Jongwoon comes and sits opposite him with two sweet potato lattes in hand.

 

"Are you writing a paper?"

"Not really."

"What are you writing then?"

"A creative writing piece."

"Can I read it?"

"No."

 

Kyuhyun keeps typing furiously, and Jongwoon just sits and watches him as he sips on his latte.

 

"What music do you listen to?"

"Anything."

"Who's your favorite?"

"TVXQ."

"Wow, really? You have the taste of a hormonal teenage girl."

"Shut up - who's your favorite band?"

"Boohwal. By the way, there's only 10 more minutes until you have class."

 

Kyuhyun's phone goes off, and he frowns at the fact that Jongwoon has his schedule memorized. Jongwoon simply shrugs, and puts on his coat as well. Kyuhyun doesn't even realize that Jongwoon is following him until they get outside.

 

"Are you stalking me?"

"Nah, not today. I'm heading to an audition, gotta go catch the bus."

"Oh okay."

 

Kyuhyun doesn't know why, but he feels like he should wait with Jongwoon for a while. A chilly breeze brushes past and he shivers a little from the cold. Jongwoon looks at him weirdly and before he knows it, Jongwoon pulls him into a hug and plants a kiss on his mouth.

 

Kyuhyun's eyes widen and he pushes Jongwoon away.

 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Warming you up."

"Do you warm everyone up like this?"

"Nah, only my boyfriend."

"I'm not your boyfriend."

"Aren't you? You nodded the other day when I asked you out. Although you were a little fixated on your computer screen…"

 

Kyuhyun stares at Jongwoon dumbfounded. Jongwoon shoots Kyuhyun a grin and gets on the bus that just arrived. Kyuhyun is still standing in the cold, wondering what he got himself into when he suddenly realizes that he's five minutes late for class.

 

•••••

 

Kyuhyun starts to regret not having paid more attention to Jongwoon and somehow accidentally agreeing to date him when the public declarations of love start occurring. It all starts with the notification that Jongwoon has listed Kyuhyun as his significant other on Facebook.

 

Then the pictures of Kyuhyun start being posted on Facebook, Twitter and even Cyworld, with cheesy captions like "This is the love of my life" and "Baby Kyu is adorable when he's writing." Kyuhyun doesn't even know when Jongwoon took the pictures, but it seems from the background that they all come from the time when he was writing in the cafe.

 

"Please, call us the sweet potato latte couple  ^^"

 

Kyuhyun wants to cry when he sees that particular caption.

 

Then Jongwoon's profile pictures all get changed to that one selca he had reluctantly taken with Jongwoon a few weeks back.

 

His relationship, if it can even be called that, with Jongwoon had somehow become very public. It felt as if the whole campus knew that the two of them are an "item." His friends and classmates would or congratulate him for dating the school's hottest band's lead singer. Kyuhyun has never heard or seen Jongwoon's band perform but his friend shows him a clip of them performing when he comes over to hang out in Kyuhyun's room.

 

Kyuhyun almost melts when he hears Jongwoon's husky voice.

 

It's the first time he thinks that it's not so bad to be dating Jongwoon, even though Jongwoon tends to be extremely cheesy and embarrassing. And somehow, he suddenly feels inspiration strike, and he takes out his laptop to start writing a fic.

 

•••••

 

Kyuhyun is sipping on a green tea latte (no more sweet potato lattes for him for the time being) when Jongwoon seats himself down opposite Kyuhyun. He waves two pieces of paper in front of Kyuhyun excitedly.

 

"Will you go on a date with me now? Look at these!"

 

Kyuhyun wonders what Jongwoon has come up with now. He has tried repeatedly to get Kyuhyun to go on dates with him - "I have two free movie tickets," "My friend's working at Lotte World, and says he can let us in after hours," "Let's go to the aquarium, I heard there's a special exhibition on turtles." Kyuhyun has come up with various ways to say no, and he inwardly groans at Jongwoon's new attempt to get him on a date.

 

He rolls his eyes as he takes the tickets from Jongwoon, but his eyes soon widen when he sees that they're TVXQ tickets for the upcoming concert. VIP tickets. Ones that have a backstage pass that would give Kyuhyun access to his favorite idols.

 

Kyuhyun feels a little faint, and wonders how on earth Jongwoon managed to afford these as a college student. Jongwoon shrugs, and asks if he's interested. Kyuhyun nods weakly.

 

Suddenly the thought that, he is going to actually meet Yunho and Changmin in person, in real life hits him hard, and he frowns.

 

"Should I…get a makeover? I should probably look more presentable, right…?"

"What's wrong with how you look now?"

 

Kyuhyun looks up at Jongwoon in surprise, and his boyfriend seems genuinely confused as to why he needs to change.

 

"Because…I look like this. I want to look good for TVXQ."

"Why? Those two brats don't really care about looks."

"How do you know? And I want to look good. Help me."

 

Jongwoon sighs, and gets up. He grabs Kyuhyun's wrist and drags him out of the cafe.

 

"Where are we going?"

"Just trust me."

 

•••••

 

A few hours later, Kyuhyun has chocolate brown hair that is cut and styled nicely. It apparently matches with his eyes, which is why Jongwoon picked out that color for him. He looks at the box of contact lenses that Jongwoon bought for him. Jongwoon had also insisted on shopping for clothes, and Kyuhyun frowns at the black skinny jeans and low cut sweater. He was relieved that Jongwoon didn't pick out any leather pants and anything with sequins on it. He doesn't think he can handle anything too extreme. It was already a big leap from the jeans and plain colored sweaters he was used to wearing. He had felt too restricted in the crotch area when he tried the skinny jeans on, but the hungry gaze that Jongwoon had, seemed to signal to Kyuhyun that it was the right choice.

 

Kyuhyun had felt something in him shift a little when he sees Jongwoon's eyes burn, and he had to take a few deep breaths to calm himself down when he went back into the changing room.

 

He smiles as he remembers how Jongwoon thinks he looks perfect just the way he is, without all the fashionable clothes and haircut. He scrolls through all the text messages and realizes that his replies have been getting longer and longer, and that he's actually feeling affection for the older guy.

 

He logs onto Facebook and looks at the pending request from Jongwoon to list each other as the significant other. He is about to click it when he decides that he wants to wait.

 

Kyuhyun wants to tell Jongwoon that he thinks he likes him first, before confirming anything between them.

 

•••••

 

Kyuhyun looks at himself in the mirror, wondering how he could look so different from how he used to. He takes off his glasses apprehensively and places his contacts in each eye.

 

A knock on his door sends him scurrying, and he sees Jongwoon stand there in his usual attire: ripped black skinny jeans and a black leather jacket. Kyuhyun feels his heart beat a little faster than it usually does.

 

Jongwoon takes one good look at him, and Kyuhyun can almost feel Jongwoon's gaze skim over him from head to toe. Then without saying anything, Jongwoon steps forwards, bends down slightly and scrapes his teeth over Kyuhyun's collarbone. Kyuhyun pushes him back and adjusts his sweater.

 

"What on earth do you think you're doing, you ert!"

"It looked delicious. I think you should wear another shirt."

"But you bought this for me."

"Unless you want your precious TVXQ to see that teeth mark, I think you might want to pull on a different shirt."

 

Kyuhyun looks down and sees the evidence of teeth marks. He punches Jongwoon lightly and curses at him while he takes it off.

 

"Stay in that corner. Ugh. I can't believe you're making me change my clothes."

 

Jongwoon's grin is almost so bright that Kyuhyun can feel it radiating, and he pulls on a blue plaid shirt apprehensively.

 

"Come on, let's go watch those talentless fools."

"Hey, don't say that about my hyungs."

"I have more talent than the two of them added together."

"Uhuh, explains why you aren't famous."

"Yet."

"What?"

"Nevermind, let's go."

 

•••••

 

Kyuhyun's heart pounds so hard when Jongwoon leads him to the backstage area after the concert. He is sweating, and still high on the adrenaline of watching two of his favorite performers sing and dance on stage.

 

He used to think that Changmin's voice was his favorite one in the world, but as Jongwoon sang along to their songs, he realized that the man standing next to him was his ultimate favorite.

 

"Jongwoon hyung!" is the first thing Changmin screams at them as the bodyguards let them into their dressing room. Kyuhyun stares, starstruck, as he sees Yunho lazily greet Jongwoon with a wave, and Changmin pounce and hug Jongwoon. He narrows his eyes slightly at the image of Changmin's arm around Jongwoon, but he quickly reminds himself that he is the other half of Jongwoon's "sweet potato latte couple" after all.

 

He can't help but gape at Yunho and Changmin, so instead he turns to Jongwoon. "You know them?"

 

Yunho gets up and comes over. Kyuhyun mentally counts to 100 in order to stop himself from hyperventilating.

 

"Of course he knows us. I'm his childhood best friend. Who are you, you delightful creature?"

 

"My name is Kyuhyun, Cho Kyuhyun. I'm a big fan of you guys!"

 

Yunho smiles and reaches out a hand to shake Kyuhyun's. Changmin laughs, and pinches Jongwoon's cheek.

 

"No wonder Jongwoon asked us for tickets. He never comes to our concerts unless we blackmail him into attending."

"If I was him and had such a hot boyfriend, I'd even watch Pororo. And I'm sure we're a lot more entertaining." Yunho grins, and puts his arm around Kyuhyun naturally. Kyuhyun tries not to flip out, but he's pretty sure his face is turning red. Jongwoon glares at Yunho, and pushes Changmin off.

 

"Why are you touching my boyfriend?"

"It's fan service."

 

As if to prove a point, Yunho pecks Kyuhyun's cheek, and Kyuhyun definitely feels his heart burst. Jongwoon storms out the room, and slams the door as he leaves. Kyuhyun's eyes widen, and wants to follow him but Yunho keeps him locked in his arm.

 

"Please, let us piss him off a little bit. He's always such a to me, I don't get a lot of opportunities to piss him off like this."

 

Changmin laughs, and counts to twenty. Yunho lets Kyuhyun go. Kyuhyun quickly pulls out a photo and asks the two of them to sign it. Once they're done, he thanks them and takes a photo with him, and runs out of the room to look for his jealous boyfriend Jongwoon.

 

Kyuhyun is almost swept away by all the staff busy with organizing all the costumes and what-not. He sees no sign of Jongwoon. He heads back into Yunho and Changmin's room to ask them if they know where his boyfriend could be.

 

But the image that assaults his retinas when he opens the door is something that he never imagined he would personally see. He brings his hands up to his heart, and shrieks.

 

"I KNEW YOU GUYS WERE REAL. I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT."

 

Yunho's shirt is ed and scruffy. Changmin's hair is all ruffled. And they were kissing like there was no tomorrow. They broke apart when they heard the door open again, and there's a look of annoyance on Changmin's face.

 

"What do you want?"

"Do you know where Jongwoon that idiot could be?"

"Down the hall, fourth door on the right. Should be the room with all the instruments.  The practice room. He always goes there to sulk."

"Oh okay, continue with…whatever you guys were doing. Be happy. Don't cheat on each other! I ALWAYS KNEW YOU GUYS WERE REAL!"

 

Kyuhyun runs out the room, and follows their instructions. Sure enough, he comes across a dim room, and Jongwoon is sitting at the grand piano and poking at the keys.

 

"Hey."

 

Jongwoon looks up in surprise as Kyuhyun closes the door behind him and turns the lock.

 

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be fanboying over those two fools?"

"But they're not my boyfriend."

"You don't even want to be with me. I saw how you looked when Yunho put his arm over you."

"That's because he's my idol."

"But he's stupid. Don't you know? When he was 5, he got a heat when we went to beach. And when he was six, he was bitten by a dog and he fainted from the small amount of blood that was on his leg. And then later…"

 

Jongwoon is so caught up with ranting about all of Yunho's embarrassing moments that he doesn't realize Kyuhyun has slid right next to him and was slowly pulling the zipper of his leather jacket down.

 

"…and then last year, he got so drunk he puked into his own bed. Who the hell throws up in their own bed for god's sake. And what the hell are you doing, it's cold in here. Don't take my jacket off."

"It's cold? Guess I should probably keep you warm then."

 

Kyuhyun hugs Jongwoon and plants a kiss on his lips. But not just a sweet, chaste kiss. Perhaps it was from the peace of knowing that his OTP is real. Or perhaps it was from the overwhelming proof that Jongwoon really does love him. He Jongwoon's bottom lip, and deepens the kiss. When it ends, Jongwoon stiffens and looks at Kyuhyun in surprise.

 

"I admire them. But I don't love them. I love you."

 

Jongwoon grins, and starts to Kyuhyun's plaid shirt slowly as he plants kisses all over Kyuhyun's exposed skin. 

 

Kyuhyun smiles, and wonders how life seems to work itself out. Who knew that he could find happiness by simply ordering a sweet potato latte in the right place at right time?

 

Kyusungcentral : Our sincerest gratitudes Nana..you are amazing :)