The Usual

THE GEEK SQUAD - HIATUS

After leaving the school, we stopped by Fatty McDonald King -- our favorite place to eat. I ordered my usual, bacon deluxe burger with curly fries and an oreo milkshake. The people knew me here so I just said, "The usual." The cashier punched in my order, knowing exactly what I wanted. "$9.68." the cashier said.

"Did the price go up or something? I usually only have to pay 8.50! My wallet's getting thin." I joked as I dug for change. The cashier had no reaction. I looked at her to see if she smiled at least. It was hard to tell cuz she was slouching and her dark bangs covered her eyes. She seemed expressionless and gray. Emo perhaps. Huh, okay then.

I finally placed the money on the counter. She took it and struggled to open the cash register. She pressed a button multiple times, but it didn't open. She smacked it on its side. It still didn't open. She seemed frustrated after several attempts. "Is it stuck or something?" I asked. She hit it one more time. Another employee, who had the name tag "Tao", came up and said "You have to unlock it before you press the button." He went up and opened it for her. She softly giggled and said "Thanks." The other employee looked at me and apologized. "Sorry, today's her first day."

By the time she put my money in, my order had arrived. "Here you you sir. Have a nice day." She said avoiding eye contact for some reason. I took the bag and shake and looked at her suspiciously before walking away. I met with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who had already ordered their food, at the table. I glanced back at the cashier. What is up with that girl? If she was new, how did she know what my usual was? I looked and examined the contents inside my bag. She got the Orea shake right, the curly fries were there, and the burger. Hmm...interesting.

"What's up Chen? Why you lookin' so googly eyed." Chanyeol asked.

"It's weird. She got my order down perfectly."

"It's cuz you come here like everyday." Baekhyun said sipping his drink.

"But I heard that it's her first day." I explained. "You know, I don't think I've seen her before."

"Maybe she's a stalker." Chanyeol said.

"Maybe." I said looking back at her. My stomach grumbled. All I could think about was food now and my delicious--hey, this is not what I ordered! As I unwrapped my burger I saw that she gave me a double-double bacon deluxe instead of a deluxe. I hadn't had a double-double bacon deluxe since 2 years ago. I cut down to a deluxe for dietary reasons. That's why I had to pay a dollar more!

So she got my order wrong. Hmmph. So much for a stalker. But really. How did she know? I'm gonna find out once I order another burger. "Dude, whereaya going?" Baekhyun asked.

"I'm gonna order another burger. She got the wrong order. You guys can share that if you want."

I waited in line behind her cash register. I tried to get a better look at her to see if I knew her from somewhere. Her cap cast a shadow on her face while her bangs also blocked her eyes. It was finally my turn to order.

"Welcome to Fatty-McDonald-King! What can I get for you?" She looked up and I thought I had a glance of her face, but when she saw it was me, she quickly looked back down. "Hey, I'm back. You got my order wrong. I'll have the bacon DELUXE burger instead please." I saw her nose twitch a little.

"Okay, is that all for you sir?" She said in a low voice.

"Yep~" After handing her the money I said. "Say, how did you know about "the usual"?"

"Um, they told me."

"Who? Tao did? Tao knows I get the bacon DELUXE not the double deluxe." I thumbs up to Tao over on the other side.

"I guess I made a mistake." She said.

"Wait," Tao began, "I didn't tell her anything about your usual."

I looked at her again. She looked at the floor. It really annoyed me how she wouldn't look up or look straight at me when she spoke. Who does she think she is? How did she know my order?

"You better explain yourself. It's creeping me out how you knew my order." She's a stalker. I know it.

"Sir. You're holding up the line." She said in a low voice. I wasn't going anywhere.

"Hey man! Are you gonna order or what?" A large black man said to me. I still didn't move out of my place.

"CHEN! JUST GO!" She said in a loud voice.

She's a stalker! She even knows my name! I had the urge of smacking that hat off her head.

"Son, you gonna move or what?!" The black man said. He turned me around from the shoulder. He looked at me angrily. My glasses began to fog up and I gulped. He finally let go and the nerdy little asian kid ran off to his friends.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________