Of Love Songs and Ramen

Of Love Songs and Ramen

They’d always been told they were like a married couple together. That they complimented each other’s personalities nicely. They had always laughed it off until one day it clicked. Jinyoung admitted he had feelings for Dongwoo and Dongwoo had turned a pleasant pink color and returned the confession. It wasn’t really surprising for anyone that these two good friends had turned their relationship into something more, something deeper. They were a big family at the dorms. Omma Dongwoo, Appa Jinyoung, the trouble making twins Sunwoo and Junghwan, and the baby maknae Chanshik.

As a composer and writer of music, Jinyoung spent a lot of time at his computer, rearranging music, sometimes picking up his guitar and strumming the strings until he got the desired effect he was looking for. The other members joined him from time to time, listening to his compositions and leaving feedback with their great leader. They all had faith in his abilities, which helped drive the fox like man. But sometimes, although they meant their critiques and comments to help Jinyoung, they sometimes plagued him and kept him up at night. Tonight was one of those nights.

Jinyoung was stuck. It was 1:33 am and he was so close to having this song done, but something was just not fitting. Something was just off and he couldn’t figure out what it was. He groaned loudly and put his face in his hands. He was tired, but he knew this song would keep him up if he tried to sleep now. He sighed.

“Stuck?” Jinyoung spun in his swivel chair to see Dongwoo behind him. He had a sleepy smile on his face but he held a bowl of ramen and a bottle of barley tea. Jinyoung’s stomach growled and laughed lightly and took the ramen happily. Dongwoo handed him the chopsticks and Jinyoung hungrily dug in.

“What are you still doing up, Dongwoo?” Jinyoung asks between slurps of spicy noodles. Dongwoo sits on the couch behind the desk.

“Waiting for you mostly. It’s not good for your health to be up so much.” Jinyoung nods with his mouthful.

“I know. I’m so close though. I’ll be up soon. Get some rest, Dongwoo.” Dongwoo gives him a look that clearly says, ‘you said that hours ago’. Jinyoung gives his boyfriend an embarrassed smile because he knows too well that he uses that line often to appease the health conscience bear. “For real. I’ll be up soon. I promise.”

Dongwoo sighs and gets to his feet again.

“You better bring the dishes with you.” Jinyoung chuckles at the nagging and nods his head.

“I will bring the dishes. Thanks for the food. Hopefully this will help!” Jinyoung replies, sounding more energized. Dongwoo shakes his head with smile.

“Me too. Good night, Jinyoung.” Dongwoo leaves the studio and heads back up to their dorm. Jinyoung finishes the ramen and turns back to the computer. He puts his headphones on and sets back to work.

It’s 3:57 am when Jinyoung opens his eyes. Slowly he lifts his head from his arms and swears softly. He hadn’t meant to fall asleep. Dongwoo was going to be upset with him. Despite not finishing the song, he was far too tired to care at this point. He saved his work and then realized he had a blanket draped around his shoulders. He looked at it curiously at the soft material and then looked back at the desk. He couldn’t forget the dishes.

But the dishes were gone too. Jinyoung rubbed his eyes and shook his head, trying to shake the fatigue from his cloudy head. He stiffly stood up and turned around to see Dongwoo, curled up on the couch. Jinyoung’s heart fluttered and a smile came to his face to see the sleeping man’s face. He still wore his glasses, his real glasses, though they were strewn at an odd angle because the way he was laying against the cushions. His mouth was open slightly, revealing his white rabbit like teeth. But his face was relaxed, void from the worry and the stress. In fact it was quite the opposite.

Jinyoung leaned down and brushed his fingers against his boyfriend’s smooth cheek. He was amazed at how thoughtful his friend was all the time. The pabo had even brought down a blanket to drape across Jinyoung’s shoulders, but didn’t bring anything to cover himself with. It made Jinyoung feel a bit guilty. He hated to wake the bear, but he couldn’t leave him to sleep down here, when the only reason Dongwoo had come back down in the first place was because of him.

“Dongwoo.” Jinyoung said softly, shaking the older man’s shoulder. “Dongwoo-ah, let’s go to bed.” Dongwoo stirred, letting out a sleepy sigh and stretching his arms over his head. He saw a glimpse of pale skin when the other’s shirt rose up, but he pulled the shirt down and gently patted his bear’s stomach. Dongwoo lets out a hum and his eyes opened in a sleepy eye smile. Jinyoung couldn’t help but smile back. His boyfriend was adorable above everything else that was Shin Dongwoo.

“What time is it?” Dongwoo whispers. Jinyoung shakes his head.

“Late. Let’s go to bed.” Dongwoo rolls onto his side and grabs Jinyoung’s arm, giving it a tug.

“I’m too tired to move. Just sleep here.”

“Sleeping on the couch isn’t good for our backs…” Jinyoung argued.

“Neither is staying up all night.” Jinyoung purses his lips, trying to repress the smile that is forming on his lips. There was no winning against a sleeping bear.

“Alright, you win.” Jinyoung bends and kisses Dongwoo on the forehead and grabs his glasses off his face. He folds them carefully and places them on the desk by the computer. He walks over to the doorway, hits the light switch, and shuffles his way back to the couch. He pulls the blanket off his shoulders and drapes it over Dongwoo, before sliding down next to Dongwoo.

Dongwoo wraps his arms over his boyfriend, pulling him flush against his chest, and nuzzling his face in his neck. Jinyoung tangles his legs with Dongwoo’s and places a hand over the hand on his stomach.

“You spoil me so much. How did I get to become so lucky?” Jinyoung whispers into the dark. He can feel Dongwoo’s hot breath on his neck as the man behind him sighs contentedly.

“I like spoiling you. It makes me happy.” Jinyoung yawns and closes his eyes.

“I love you…” A sleepy hum is the only response he gets. A smile plays on Jinyoung’s lips in the dark, because he knows, without words, how Dongwoo feels about him. Comfortable and warm, Jinyoung drifts off to sleep thinking of love songs and ramen.