Holiday Shopping

Holiday Shopping

Sunggyu sat on the bus, next to his boyfriend quietly, stealing glances at the younger man. They had just been out shopping for the kids’ holiday presents and the trip had been rather… normal. Which was saying something, because anything involving Dongwoo usually because an adventure of sorts. And sometimes that was a good thing… others… not so much. Sunggyu smiled at this thoughts and idly brought his hands to gently rub Dongwoo’s back.

It was then, Sunggyu realized how quiet Dongwoo was being. He cocked his head when the younger man didn’t even so much as turn his head and smile when Sunggyu was touching him. Usually Dongwoo liked the skinship and made it apparent. Sunggyu lowered his brows, causing his eyes to squint more than usual at the back of Dongwoo’s head. What had gone wrong? The day had started nicely. Sunggyu brought his fingers to his lips and thought deeply about the day’s events.

Dongwoo had been excited about the shopping trip. He had made a list on what he thought they should get for each of the members based off their interests. When the others had left for their schedules, Dongwoo slid into bed next to Sunggyu and kissed his cheek, his bright smile beaming.

“Hyung! The kids are gone. We can go shopping now!” Dongwoo had whispered excitedly, making Sunggyu crack a smile and pull Dongwoo closer. The dinosaur-like let himself be pulled to his leader’s chest and to Sunggyu’s surprise, obediently rested his cheek calmly against the older man. Sunggyu brushed his fingers through Dongwoo’s coppery brown locks lazily.

“…What if we just stay like this all day instead?” Sunggyu suggested in a sleepy voice. He knew what the answer would be, but honestly, he loved getting a rise out of the loud man. It was too easy to excite him. Too easy to get any emotion of out him really. Dongwoo wore his heart and emotions on his sleeve and Sunggyu found it endearing, despite finding enjoyment in exploiting it.

“Hyung!” Dongwoo whined, the serene moment that just had been, gone from existence. He wiggled out of Sunggyu’s hold and started pulling on the covers. “Come on, you promised we’d go to the mall and get gifts for the kids! There’s only fifteen days until Christmas! We have to get it done!” Sunggyu rolls over, his back to the dinosaur, biting back his smile. He may have agreed, but he was going to make Dongwoo work for it a bit.

“GYU GEE GEE, PLEASE!” More whining from the loud man. When Sunggyu didn’t respond, Dongwoo sniffled a little. He hated when Sunggyu would with the promises he had made. “Gyu~” Sunggyu rolled back over with a smile.

“Such a cry baby.” He stretched his arms over his head and tossed the blankets carelessly off of himself. He got up and grabbed Dongwoo’s hand. Dongwoo pouted and looked at the floor. “Come on, Woo. Let’s get ready.” Instantly, Dongwoo was back to his excited self. He jumped up and hugged Sunggyu tightly, making the older man lose his breath.

“I’ll wash your back, Hyung!” Sunggyu could only chuckle as he was dragged off to the bathroom to wash up.

After some time, they were ready to leave the dorm, bundled up in their winter clothes. Dongwoo pulled a hat on Sunggyu’s head and smiled happily.

“Don’t catch a cold Gyu Gee Gee!” Sunggyu rolled his eyes and handed a scarf to Dongwoo.

“You should talk… Let’s go. The next bus will be arriving soon.” Dongwoo grabbed Sunggyu’s gloved hand with his mittened hand and smiled. Sunggyu covered the smile that came to his lips with his free hand. Dongwoo seemed oblivious to his cuteness sometimes, and it was those times that made Sunggyu’s heart beat the quickest. Despite the challenges that came with Dongwoo, he could never deny how much he loved him.

The bus ride to the mall had been loud. Dongwoo insisted on telling Sunggyu everything he planned to get the other members and planning which stores to hit up first so they wouldn’t have to carry heavy bags all day. Sunggyu could only nod quietly and blush because Dongwoo was just SO loud and kept making people look at them. Finally Sunggyu couldn’t take it any longer, he reached out and too the younger man’s face in his and rested his forehead on the other’s.

“Jang. Dong. Woo.” Sunggyu said firmly, making Dongwoo titter quietly. “We are on a bus. You need to use an inside voice. I know you’re excited to get the other boys gifts, but the whole bus doesn’t need to know what you’re getting Sungyeol. Understand?” Dongwoo nodded with a smile.

“Yes, Hyung.”

“Now you can keep talking about what the plan is, but keep it quiet.” Sunggyu let go of Dongwoo’s face and the brunette looked down, his cheeks pink. Sunggyu smirked at this, finding himself pleased that he still had the same effect on his boyfriend now, as he did when they had first started dating. And despite Dongwoo being given the blessing to talk, he instead fidgeted quietly in the bus seat. Sunggyu sneakily grabbed Dongwoo’s and hid it between them. Dongwoo glanced back with a smile and his fidgeting stopped as well.

Once they were off the bus and walking to the mall though, all the energy that Dongwoo seemed to have been holding in, came out. He sang Christmas carols loudly as they walked to the mall, making Sunggyu fall back and cover his face. This dino of a man was impossible. Dongwoo only laughed and pulled his leader along. Sunggyu was relieved that Dongwoo had decided to quiet down upon entering the mall. But it was only because a look of determination took over.

“Alright, Hyung. Lets get our shopping finished. If we get it done quickly, we can go back to the dorm and… nap” He smirked and now this time Sunggyu blushed. It was always the way Dongwoo said things that caught Sunggyu off guard, not actually the things he said. He nodded and followed the younger man on their shopping adventure.

Time passed and bags were acquired, and Dongwoo had announced they were almost finished. Sunggyu was relieved to hear that because he was strongly considering a nap when they got back to the dorm. Being bogged down by bags and trying to keep up with Dongwoo’s fierce shopping was nearly more than the leader could take.

“Omo!” Dongwoo cried suddenly, stopping and making Sunggyu walk into him. Sunggyu sighed with aggravation.

“What now, Dongwoo?” Dongwoo looked a bit embarrassed.

“I uh… I forgot something. For Sungjong. Why don’t you sit with the bags while I go run and get it?” Sunggyu heaved another sigh, this time, relieved at the offer.

“That’s fine. Just hurry it up.” He says as he takes a seat on a bench. It was only then did he realize how tired he was. Dongwoo nodded and took off in the direction they had come in. Sunggyu stretched his arms over his head and yawned before getting more comfortable on the bench.

Twenty minutes pass and Sunggyu is starting to get annoyed. What in heaven’s was taking that silly dinosaur so long to make his way back? Sunggyu took out his phone to text his boyfriend, only to see Dongwoo slowly making his way back. He looked upset and breathless but managed a small smile when he walked up to Sunggyu.

“Sorry Hyung, they didn’t have what I was looking for and the employee was nice enough to try calling around for me…” Sunggyu got up, grabbing bags, Dongwoo doing the same.

“So where too now?” Dongwoo shook his head, still smiling.

“Can we just go home, Gyu Gee Gee? I’m tired.” Sunggyu nods without much of a thought. They leave the mall and eventually get on the bus, and now Sunggyu is right back to where he started thinking a moment ago. He leans forward to whisper in the dinosaur’s ear.

“Woo-ah? Is there something wrong?” Dongwoo looks startled and shakes his head, putting a smile on his face.

“No, I’m.. I’m fine, Hyung.” He assures Sunggyu before going back to look out the window again. Sunggyu sighs. It wasn’t like Dongwoo to keep his feelings hidden. He contemplates this the rest of the trip home.

When they get back to the dorm, Dongwoo takes the bags from Sunggyu and smiles.

“I’ll wrap the stuff, Hyung.” He says quickly before retreating to his room and closing the door, leaving a rather stunned Sunggyu. He blinked quickly, several times before making a face. What the hell was going on?

Without giving it a further though, Sunggyu bursts into Dongwoo’s room.

“Jang Dongwoo! What is-” He stops when he see Dongwoo scrambling to wipe the tears off his face. When he realizes that Sunggyu is staring at him, he turns and busies himself with the gifts. Sunggyu walks over and kneels by Dongwoo, trying to get the brunette to look at him. “Dongwoo-ah. Why are you crying?” He asks more gently, despite Dongwoo’s attempts to get away from Sunggyu. Sunggyu finally grabs Dongwoo by the wrists and pulls him to face the redhead. “Dongwoo. Answer me.”

“The gift…” Dongwoo sobs out, keeping his head down. Sunggyu looks surprised.

“The one for Sungjong? You’re crying over a gift for our maknae?” Dongwoo shakes his head. Sunggyu sighs. he can’t understand him when he’s this upset. “Woo-ah…”

“It was for… for you!” Dongwoo cries pulling his arms away. Sunggyu is stunned and sits back on his heels.

“For me?” Dongwoo nods.

“I saw the perfect thing when we walked passed the store. The perfect shoes. I knew I had to get them. And right when I was asking for your size, the employee said the lady in front of me had just bought them. I begged the lady, I offered her more money, but she wouldn’t listen! I even tried to tell her who I was and she just yelled at me!”

Sunggyu frowned deeper after hearing that someone had yelled at his boyfriend. Dongwoo was sensitive and it probably took the younger man quite an effort to walk back to Sunggyu with now tears in his eyes. Sunggyu reaches over and pulls Dongwoo into a hug and this time Dongwoo doesn’t resist him. He buries his face in Sunggyu’s chest, clinging to the leader’s sweater. Sunggyu sighs and smooths Dongwoo’s hair.

“You don’t have to get me anything, you know… So much effort to make yourself upset. It’s not worth it, Woo-ah.” Dongwoo looks up suddenly, his face horrified.

“Hyung! How can you say that? It’s our first Christmas together!” Sunggyu raises a brow. He knows what Dongwoo means, but he wants to hear him say it. “Hyung~” Dongwoo whines through his sniffles. “Our first Christmas… as boyfriends. I wanted it to be perfect…” Sunggyu hummed happily, smiling slightly.

“It’ll be perfect because I’ll have you with me, not because you get me a gift, Silly Dinosaur…” He wipes the tears off Dongwoo’s face before kissing the younger man’s forehead. “Don’t you forget that.” Dongwoo smiles a bit, his eyes still watery and red.

“I… I love you Gyu Gee Gee…” He says bashfully, his cheeks heating up. Sunggyu pulls Dongwoo into the bed and holds him tightly to his chest.

“I love you too, Woo-ah.” This time Dongwoo hums, closing his eyes and tangling their legs together. Sunggyu kisses the top of Dongwoo’s head before closing his eyes as well. Even with Dongwoo’s dramatics, he wouldn’t change his boyfriend for the world.