O1 - Her Side

Falling Leaves
Please listen to this music:

 

                    Leafs kept falling at the sight of the orangey lights that befell upon them. Trees sway as a silent breeze enveloped them, not hindering any abrupt movement to seize the on-going euphoria of the scenery. Rustling leaves fall around a bench covered with the dust of maladies, leaving it barren and rusty. The sound of the echoes of the wind freely passed her by. Swinging side by side between the branches, trees with withering leaves fall slowly imitating a silent haven of snowflakes that will fall once this season is over. Catching one withered leaf, she brought it up to her face to examine it. Creases form on its lively countenance and trace of the green healthiness was eaten up by the growing crunchy orange hue around it. Another dead leaf that was full of life whilst enduring the season of summer that was soon had its own passing to give autumn a chance to fulfill its mission.

                    Carefully placing the fallen leaf beside her, she slowly sat on the rusty bench that is situated in between two tall trees that stood still and unbeatable throughout the heavy rainfalls and the inevitable droughts. She ought to be like the trees, too, waiting for the perfect moment to see the one she has been waiting for all day. Another gust of wind carried her to bliss as her hair swayed with it. Her blonde locks were magnified because of the sun that is quietly peeking behind the clouds. It was a hot day; nevertheless, her unceasing determination and faith hindered any possible back-out to her plan. She stood still eyeing the on-going passer-by, hoping to see the one she was looking for.

                    She still vividly remembered that one time, in that first autumn afternoon, when he saw him walking alongside this place where she was in. He was carrying his large duffel bag that is anchored around his left shoulder. His auburn hair pulled up, not too messy but not too proper. His hands were inside his pockets and he was walking quite leisurely. He was observing the scenery before him, of how the trees sway in silent melody, of how the rustling of leaves fall down slowly to the dusty floor, of how he closed his eyes and just felt the silent breeze and of how he looked so serene just standing there amongst the orangey haven.  She clearly remembered her reaction to that same scene every day within those four years. Mesmerized; Totally immersed in happiness and utter bliss. She remembered how her eyes glimmered in approval and continued observing him from far away. After a few minutes of silent meditating, the man picked up his pace and continued to walk up until the end of the road.

                    From then on and for the four years that had passed, her unyielding determination never left her and she had always waited in that same spot where the man usually stops and observes the place. She has met him several times but they don’t talk at all. Just seeing him is enough for her but sometimes, oh how she wished to even talk to him or to even see his eyes glance at her. Countless of times, she just lets him pass her by without breaking into a conversation of some sort.

                    Her clock ticked as the second-hand arrowed its body towards number twelve. She moved her hand towards her inquisitive eyes and saw that it’s exactly 3:00 PM. The time has come for him to pass by this place. There was no denying it, she was very excited. Her eyes lingered to that fork in the road where he will emerge from. Her watch, silently ticking, counting the seconds of his arrival.

                    As expected, she saw him. Dressed in a black denim jacket and black faded jeans, he emerged from her sight. He walked leisurely along the pavement while her body straightened whilst sitting at the bench to patiently wait for him. Her whole body was stiff, awaiting his casual entrance. He slowly stepped on the musty floor towards the road ahead, indirectly, towards her. He slowly took another step again and she caught the whiff of his cologne as he passed her by. That woody scent with a hint of peppermint and laced with musk was what he smelled like. She was enthralled. It’s her favourite scent. Meeting this stranger was one of her favourite highlights of the day and every time she stays here and waits for him, she cannot contain her feelings. It’s b.

                    She inclined her head towards him to see his broad back. He was tall, taller than her for sure. The way he walks gives off that carefree aura around him. The way his hands are kept inside the confines of his pockets and the way his calm countenance greets the world around him made him all the more mysterious to her. It was surreal. Not able to contain her feelings any longer, she sure was going to do anything at this moment to talk to him or to even introduce herself to him. She abruptly stood up from her seat and walked hurriedly towards him. The rustle of her shoes against the pavement caught his attention as he turned to look at who was behind him. Seeing this, she stopped as she saw his face. Seeing no more of the side value that she usually sees when he passes her by, his whole face value in close proximity, gave her enough reason to stupidly stop in awe. He eyed her curiously, looking at her from head to foot. The amount of gaze she received from him was enough to make her eyes fall to the floor.

                    What did we just do? How are we going to fix this mess? She silently muttered in embarrassment.

                    She can still feel his gaze upon her and she was surely pressured to speak in behalf of her stupidity. The man crossed his arms and inclined his head, waiting for some kind of interaction towards her. He, too, was very much pressured as to how to talk to the girl.

                    Ok… Breathe in. Breathe out.

                    Readying herself to talk to him, she, then, heard the sound of faint footsteps distancing from her. She looked up and saw the man inching away from her… Away from her stupidity and away from the curiosity she built up between the both of them.

                    She sighed.

                    Just when I was readying to talk to you… You walk away from me.

                    She pouted in defeat and sighed in the process. A silent breeze, then, tickled her being as it flew around her loosely tied hair making it fly freely out of the ponytail’s grasp. Another day of utter failure. Another day of missing the chance to talk to him. Another day of this mess she just created. Oh, how frustrating!

                    Her blonde locks swayed and rode with the wind’s silent murmurs as it encircled her whole being. She, then, closed her eyes… Leaving all her frustrations behind.