Sweet Miracle

Sweet Miracle

“Jagiya.”
Penny squeaks in surprise as arms come around her waist and someone nuzzles her neck. Giggling as she places her hand over his and kisses his cheek, she gently scolds, “Junsu-ah, what if I’d had something hot in my hands?”

“But you didn’t,” Junsu answers, snuggling closer even though the warmth of the bed still clings to his skin. “You put your cup down a while ago and were just standing there looking out the window.”

“You’ve been watching me?”

He nods, unashamed. “You looked beautiful.”

She blushes. “You should have slept more. You’ll probably have to work late tonight too.”

“Silly Penny,” Junsu chuckles, laying a gentle kiss on her neck. “What’s today?”

“Friday?”

“And?”


“Eleven more days till Christmas?”

“Closer. It’s got something to do with presents,” he hints.

Penny bites her lip and looks down. “My birthday?”

“Bingo,” Junsu laughs, turning her in his arms so they’re face to face and kissing her forehead. “You didn’t think I’d forget, did you?”

“I didn’t want to bother you since you’ve been so busy.”

One of Junsu’s arms slides down to her waist while his other hand cups her face. Softly pressing his pillowy lips to hers, he asks, “Jagiya, how many years have we been together?”

Penny smiles, her eyes temporarily clouding with the memories as her hands slide up Junsu’s bare chest to link themselves behind his neck. “Almost two years.”

“And how did we meet?”

“You’d come every day to the cafe I worked at part time and sit there for hours scribbling away in your notebook.”

Junsu smiles, beginning to slowly rock side to side. “And you’d always greet me with a smile and slip me little things to eat or give me kind words. But you never treated me differently from any of the other customers. You were that nice to everyone, especially anyone who looked like they were having a bad day.”

She shrugs. “It doesn’t cost anything to be nice to people. I didn’t even think about it.”

“You never do. Back to our story. What happened next?”

“You tell me.”

“I’d noticed you for a while, but I wasn’t sure about saying anything. Then, one day, as I was leaving the cafe, something caught my eye in the alleyway.” Junsu grins. “There was that sweet girl I was crushing on, dancing around and singing ‘Be the One.’”

“I was so embarrassed when I turned around and saw you there,” Penny giggles, burying her face against his shoulder. “I felt like such an idiot.”

“Aw, come on. You were really cute. Cute enough to make me ask you out on a date.”

“I thought you were joking.”

He laughs. “You must not have believed that too much since you were ready and absolutely stunning when I showed up at your door the next night.”

Penny smiles. “I’d have been a fool to completely dismiss it. Miracles are known to happen.”

“You’re my miracle,” Junsu says softly, tipping her face up so he can look into her eyes. "Anything that has to do with any part of you is never a bother to me."

    The shining love reflected in those dark eyes draws him unconsciously closer. Moving infinitely slow to savor the moment, Junsu lowers his head and closes the distance with a ghosting brush of lips. They close their eyes and slow their breath, Penny’s hands cradling the back of his neck while his arms wrap fully around her. Once again their lips meet and move together, tasting of peppermint and coffee. Junsu pulls back to admire the way her face glows in the early morning light. Penny keeps her eyes closed for a few more seconds before opening them to meet his gaze.

As she looks past his shoulder, her eyes widen. “Oppa, you’re going to be late! You need to get ready!”

Junsu laughs again, making her stop pushing against his chest. “I’m not late. I’m right on time.”

“What’re you talking about?”

“Today, my only schedule is you,” he replies, kissing her nose. “And before you say you’re working, you’re not. I called the company director yesterday to tell her. She said not to worry about the choreography; she’ll catch you up later.”

“You took the day off for me?” Penny asks, her face breaking out into a grin. “Chincha?”

Junsu spreads his arms. “I’m all yours, baby!”

She laughs in excitement and hugs him tightly, making him stumble back a few steps. “I get you for an entire day! That hasn’t happened in like...forever!”

“I know, mianhae. I wish I wasn’t so busy.”

“It’s all right, oppa. You’re doing what you love, just like me.”

He smiles. “So, what does the birthday girl want to do on her special day?”

“Can we just go out and spend time together?” Penny asks tentatively. “I’ve been cooped up in here too long, but if you’d rather stay at home, that’d-”

Junsu stops her with a quick peck on her lips. “Whatever my jagiya wants to do, we’ll do. It’ll feel good to get out.”

She looks him up and down. “Not like that, you’re not,” she teases.

“You mean a shirt’s mandatory?” he asks, stretching to show off the subtle rippling of his muscles. “I thought you’d appreciate the view.”

“I do,” Penny giggles, trailing a finger down his arm. “But I can be kinda jealous sometimes. I don’t think I want to share today.”

“As you wish. I’ll go get dressed and then we’ll go.”

“Okay.”

Bowing, Junsu takes her hand and kisses it before walking back out of the kitchen.

Penny watches him leave, her heart jumping around like a rabbit out of sheer happiness that she gets to love and be loved by that man.


“Ahhh.”

Penny looks over at Junsu, who’s sitting there with his eyes closed and mouth open, rolls her eyes and delicately places a piece of sugar candy on his tongue.

As it dissolves, Junsu opens his eyes, smiles, and his lips. “Almost as sweet as you.”

She giggles and pulls her coat closer, watching the multicolored city lights reflecting on the rippling water.

Junsu notices she’s still shivering and moves even closer to her on the bench to drape an arm around her shoulder. “Did you have a good birthday?”

“An incredibly amazing one,” she answers, cuddling into him. “Finding that little restaurant, riding the bikes, watching that concert, the dinner, and now bringing me here; you did a hell of a job giving me the best birthday, Kim Junsu.”

“Good,” he says, looking away so she doesn’t see his self-satisfied grin. As an idea comes to him, Junsu turns back to her. “You know what?”

“What?” Penny asks innocently.

“Since this is where we had our first kiss, I think we should continue the tradition.”

“Yah,” she pouts, giving him a light push on his chest. “You better not be having your first kiss with other girls here.”

“Penny, you’re the only girl for me, trust me,” he chuckles. “I meant us kissing here.”

“Good.” Leaning in, Penny lets her lips lightly caress his.

“You still taste like the strawberries from the cake,” Junsu tells her after their third kiss. “Absolutely delectable, but...”

“But what?”

“Your lips are cold, so that means the rest of you is colder. I think it’s time for me to take you home.” Junsu laughs when she starts to pout again. “Just because I’m taking you home doesn’t mean I was planning on leaving.”

Penny’s only response to let her smile return and to lean into his chest.

    They sit on the bench a few more minutes, just enjoying the other’s presence in the chill of the night. Eventually they make it back to Junsu’s car, with the ride back to Penny’s apartment being filled with more shared laughter and moments. Once they arrive, Junsu hurries to open the door and help her out.

Penny gives him a questioning look when he doesn’t move to go inside. “Junsu?”

He tugs gently on her hand. “Don’t you want your present?”

“Present?” Her eyes light up at the idea. “You didn’t have to.”

“Why wouldn’t I want to?” he retorts, leading her around to the trunk of his car. “Now close your eyes.”

Although she’s squirming in anticipation, she does as he says.

Junsu waves a hand in front of her face to make sure before putting his hand on the latch to open the trunck. “You can open your eyes in one, two, three!”

Penny’s hands fly away from her eyes only to come right back up to cover as she looks at the contents of the trunk.

    White and purple balloons take up nearly all the space in the small trunk of Junsu’s car, fairy lights weaving throughout to glimmer beneath the translucent plastic. All the space that is, except for a large area in the center. That spot is reserved for an oversized purple teddy bear holding a bouquet of deep red roses in his lap.

“It’s not overkill, is it?” he asks, nervously biting his lip and giggling. “I just wanted to do something special.”

“Junsu,” Penny whispers, her eyes shining. Taking the few steps to him, she throws her arms around his neck to draw him into a deep kiss. When they draw back to breathe, she looks in his eyes and says, “It’s wonderful.”

Junsu grins, reaching up to remove her hands from around his neck and kiss each finger. “There’s something else.”

“Something else?” she asks in disbelief.

His smile widening, he laces their fingers together and brings her closer. Handing her the roses, he carefully picks up the teddybear and holds it out to her.
Penny leans in, noticing something faintly glittering in the bear’s fur near it’s neck. Using her finger, she finds the cord and follows it to the pendant.

    The smoky amethyst would be beautiful by itself, but the delicate carving enhances that natural beauty. Swirling lines etched into the surface surround and seem to push at the solitary lotus flower in a purple pond. Penny’s eyes meet Junsu’s again, her eyes saying all the things she wants to but can’t find the words for. Even without these words, he understands and hope his eyes are telling her the same.

Unhooking the necklace with one hand, Junsu hands Penny the bear and moves behind her to drape the necklace around her neck. Laying a feather light kiss just above the clasp, he moves in front of her to look. “Gorgeous,” he says.

Penny shifts the teddybear to the same arm as the roses, reaches out, and pulls gently on Junsu’s tie to give him another kiss. “Thank you.”

“Anything for you, nae sarang.”

    Together, they walk up to Penny’s apartment. After he unlocks the door for her and helps her set down her presents, Junsu takes her coat and hangs it up. He hangs up his own and turns around to find her watching him with thoughtful eyes.

“Whacha thinking about?” he asks with a smile, walking over to her and lightly putting his hands on her hips.

    Wordlessly, she reaches up to push stray hair from his face. Her fingers continue following the curves and angles of his face, her eyes following the progress. Junsu’s mind can’t decide what is more mesmerizing, the sensation of her touch or the look of pure love in her face.

“It really is a miracle we met and fell in love, isn’t it?” Penny asks, her hand coming to rest against his cheek.

“It is the season for miracles,” he agrees, leaning into her palm and closing her eyes.

“Speaking of miracles...”

Junsu opens his eyes and follows her pointing finger to the quietly blinking clock on the wall showing a new day has begun. “How’d it get that late?”

“No idea, but it means celebrating the miracle of me is over.”

He laughs quietly. “So what’re we celebrating now?”

“The miracle of you,” Penny replies, standing on tiptoe to plant a kiss on his lips.

“Oh, yeah,” he says, somewhat bewildered. “It is my birthday, isn’t it?”

She giggles. “Yes, it is. And you know what?”

“What?”

“It’s going to be a birthday just as amazing as the one you gave me.”

“Really?” Junsu asks, intrigued.

Penny nods. “You’ll have to wait until the morning to find out what I’ve got planned.”

“But it’s already morning,” he points out.

Penny laughs, shaking her head. Kissing him again, she replies, “It is, but we both need to sleep. Come on, to bed.”

“All right. Penny.”

“Yes?”

“Saranghae,” Junsu says, abandoning his playfulness and looking her straight in the eyes.

Penny gently smiles back. “Nado saranghae.”