Dream

Forgive and Remember

“Youngjae-shi!” Called the female announcer.

“Neh!” Youngjae sat up straight in anticipation of her question. He hasn’t done that many interviews and he wanted to do well for the sake of the group.

“So I heard you went to the same middle school as Exo-K’s Baekhyun-shi. Is this true?”

Youngjae stiffened, he wasn’t expecting this question.

“Aah, neh. That’s right.” He replied slowly.

“Ooh, so how was it? Are you two the same age?”

“Aniyo, he’s my hyu- ah, he’s a sunbae.” Youngjae grimaced inwardly as he corrected himself.

“Aah, but did you know him? Were you two close? You’re both lead vocals after all.” The interviewer pressed, excited at this juicy bit of information. A connection between the two hottest rookie groups was news and she knew it.

Youngjae squirmed as the questions echoed in his head.

Did they know each other? Were they close?

----

“Sunbae!”

Baekhyun turned at the sound of his voice. The boy was running towards him, waving his hand in the air enthusiastically, his fluffy black hair bouncing up and down from his actions. Baekhyun turned away for a second to draw in a deep breath. It really was no surprise the boy had found him so soon, but still, Baekhyun needed some time. He wiped off any traces of disappointment on his face before finally turning back.

Youngjae crouched in front of him, hands on his knees to keep from falling. Panting hard from the physical exertion, he could barely speak.

“Sunbae… pant, pant… how… pant… did it… pant… go?”

“Aigoo,” Beakhyun berated him in his best imitation of a disgruntled elder. “Walk slowly, what’s the point of running so hard? Worry about yourself first before you worry about others! Also, I told you to call me hyung didn’t I?” He drove his knuckles into the younger boy’s head, making him stumble backwards.

“A- Arasso… hyung. So how did it go? Did you get accepted?” He was still breathing heavily but was much more coherent than before.

Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair, looking unimpressed, “tch, I was thinking this agency isn’t really good enough for talent like mine. Yah, do more research next time you send me on an audition will you?”

Youngjae let out a scoff and narrowed his eyes, “hyung, you got dropped again didn’t you?”

Baekhyun glared at the younger boy, sputtering, “ya…yah! What do you mean dropped? I quit alright? And you? I don’t think you should be the one talking. Tch, punk.”

If Baekhyun had to hide his disappointment, Youngjae wore his plainly. He sighed and shrugged, looking downcast, “no word yet… Mum’s getting anxious.”

Baekhyun sighed too, immediately regretting his words. He slung a hand around Youngjae’s shoulders, “aish… Don’t worry Youngjae-ah. We’ll make it. One day… we’ll be standing on a stage,” he spread his free arm, eyes glinting almost dangerously with ambition. “Spotlights on us, microphones in our hands… Millions of fans screaming our names. Byun Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun.”

He turned to chant softly in Youngjae’s ear, “Yoo Youngjae, Yoo Youngjae.”

Both boys stood silent, too immersed in the visualization of their dreams.

We’ll make it, one day.

Will they? Will they really? Youngjae had often found his best friend too optimistic and idealistic; Byun Baekhyun was a dreamer. Sure, Youngjae knew he was meant to be a singer but to have millions of fans screaming his name? Youngjae knew there was much more to being a singer than that… there was much more learning to do, training and hard work. But then again, he also knew Baekhyun was a smart guy, the older boy knew all this too… So maybe, just this once, Youngjae could let himself dream like him- Without thinking, without limits. Maybe Youngjae could learn to dream like Baekhyun, and let his wildest imaginations take over logic and rationale.

Youngjae smiled and shrugged Baekhyun’s arm off his shoulders, “hyung, let’s go for karaoke. I bet I can beat you this time.”

----

“Did you know him? Were you two close?”

“Yes, he’s my best friend, my hyung and… He’s the one who taught me how to dream.”