Wonderful Tonight

Wonderful Tonight

Wonderful Tonight

 

Technically, this is really what should be considered their first date. Technically. But if you’re not in the mood for technicalities, then Jongin would assume that last Wednesday, when his casual hangout with Kyungsoo turned into dinner, a movie and a sloppy first kiss, would have been their first date. But Jongin, though usually never particular when it comes to these things, would really like to brush that off as an embarrassing incident (if you knew how things went down that night you’d understand) and count this night as their first date.

Tonight it’s official. He’s made damn sure of it, formally declaring it to Kyungsoo over the phone last night.

“Kyungsoo, we’re going on a first date. And I’m going to pay for everything, and you’re going to love it,” he gushed (uncharacteristically, he would later point out) over the phone.

“Oh, okay,” Kyungsoo agreed, chuckling at the eager sound of Jongin’s voice. “How are you going to pay for it though, since I’m positive you’ve never been employed in all eighteen years of your life?”

“Almost nineteen years,” he said offhandedly, “But don’t worry, Soosoo, I got this.”

“Don’t... don’t call me that. I’ll break up with you before we even go out,” he snapped, much to Jongin’s amusement.

“Right sorry,Soo So, tomorrow at seven, wait no, six forty-five okay? Dress for the cold.”

“That’s marginally better, but okay. Tomorrow. Six forty-five. Wait, but Jongin you don’t even have a ca-”

“No, stop! Don’t say another word. I’ve got this, okay? It’s going to be perfect. Bye, Soo.” And with that, he snapped his phone shut with a wide grin straining his cheeks.

So, at six p.m., Jongin finds himself in a pickle, stressing over what clothes to wear due to a few snide remarks by one of his older sisters. His plan had been simple at first. Shower at five—because god knows he takes forever to shower—get out and towel himself dry, throw on some clothes, beg his mom for the car, leave. But his second eldest sister takes one look at his sopping wet hair, mismatching socks, and wrinkled shirt and says hell no.

“You must dress to impress,” she insists, spinning Jongin around and forcing him back into his room. “You’ve been gushing about this incessantly since last night, you might as well look the part for your first date.”

“Look, I’m a guy, Kyungsoo’s a guy, neither of us give two s about what the other looks like. It’ll be fine. Besides, he’s known me for years so he’s used to my sense of style.”

“Or lack thereof,” she chides. “Also, that’s precisely why you should look decent for once. I get that you’re a guy, but that doesn’t mean you have to throw fashion to the wind and say it. You’re the one that wants to make this so special, after all.”

“Fine.” He hates it when she’s right.

First she dresses him in a full on suit, all black except for an outlandishly white bowtie that she’s borrowed from their father’s wardrobe. He appraises himself in a mirror, trying to decide if it makes him look like he’s going to a wedding or a funeral. If it weren’t for that bowtie

“We’re going to the zoo,” he sighs, tousling his fingers through his slightly less damp hair, “not some high class restaurant, noona.”

In true sisterly fashion, she ignores this statement.

After the suit, she wheedles him into black slacks and a simple button up shirt. Maybe this is an outfit that would outlandishly dashing on his fraternity leader, Kris, but in his eyes it makes him look like a complete dodo. When he points this out, his sister cackles and demands to see a photo of this “Kris” and when Jongin refuses, she steals his phone and starts sifting through his photos, some of which are rather embarrassing. He can only hope and pray she never uses them as blackmail against him one day, an issue that she says could be easily amended if he introduces her to Kris. There is much eye rolling that ensues, and puppy-dog pleading to get his phone back so they can resume their original duties for the evening.

What comes after the slacks and button down is probably Jongin’s least favorite outfit of the night. A complete eyesore of turquoise corduroys and a graphic tee that make him feel like tube of winter mint toothpaste. He’s pretty sure he isn’t the one who bought those pants. Why the hell would he buy turquoise corduroys? Especially since he clings to darker colors like a vampire clings to the night. Bright turquoise pants, last time he checked, were on the opposite end of the dark color spectrum.

“You look horrible in everything,” his sister mutters unpleasantly.

Jongin puffs his cheeks out petulantly and pokes his sister’s stomach. “Perhaps you’re just not a good stylist.”

To that she has no counter attack, seeing as her favorite color choices for outfits are extremely bright and cringe-worthy (it’s edgy, apparently, to look like a bag of skittles), so she decides to pointedly ignore her brother’s jibe and stiffly appraise him one last time.

“Let’s go for simple this time.”

“Okay,” Jongin concedes, and does his best to not roll his eyes (surely he’s going to roll his eyes out of his sockets but the end of the night if he’s not careful). A few minutes ago she’d claimed that the toothpaste outfit was “too bland” and immediately stripped him of his clothing. Now she was aiming for simple. And what exactly is the difference between her idea of too bland and simple? He’s not sure he wants to know, but he’ll have no choice but to find out.

It takes her longer to dig through his unorganized closet this time, sifting through piles of unfolded shirts and pants, looking for something that isn’t too wrinkled and is relatively clean. While rummaging through it all, she mutters constant slurs about her brother being a sloppy, lazy bum to which Jongin has many retorts. It’s not his fault he’s been busy this week. No time to do laundry or organize his things. He saw no proper reason for fixing up his room for the few short weeks of break since he’d have to pack it all up again. But apparently that’s no excuse for not doing laundry.

Finally, at six twenty-seven, with hardly any time to spare considering he hasn’t asked for the car yet and it takes at least ten minutes to get to Kyungsoo’s house, Jongin is finally dressed in his official outfit for the night. It certainly is simple. Just a red, white, and blue striped long-sleeve shirt and a pair of light blue jeans. (Thank god his sister’s idea of simple doesn’t involve neon colors.) Also, by now his hair has dried somewhat decently, though it still lies messily on top of his head, strands poking out in all directions. His sister manages to smooth it out a bit when she “attacks” him with a hairbrush while he puts on a pair of shoes.

“Well, at least you look kind of normal.”

“Uh, thanks?” He supposes he’ll take that as a compliment; after all, it’s better than most words his sister is willing to say to him.

“No problem lil’ bro,” she coos and pinches his cheek affectionately, fully aware of the fact that Jongin abhors such doting.

“Get off me!” he grumbles and smacks her hand away, eyeing the clock on his bedside table. , it’s six thirty-seven.“Crap, crap, crap. I have to go!”

“Oh, you’re taking the van, by the way,” his sister gloats as she watches her brother whirl around the room in a panic, pulling on his coat and securing a scarf around his neck. “Mom’s using the Acura tonight.”

“Aw ” Jongin cringes as he walks down the hallway with his sister in tow. Now he’s going to look like an even bigger dork.

“Don’t worry. I mean, like you said. You’re a guy, he’s a guy. You’ve known each other for years. He’s seen the van before.” She winks, practically spitting Jongin’s earlier statement right back at him.

He wants to punch her (with love of course). “I’m disowning you as a sister.”

“Please, you’re the adopted one anyways.”

“Ouch. Going for the typical adopted child comeback. What a low blow,” he huffs and pretends to pout.

“I try my best.” She beams. “Now get out of here. You’re going to be late.”

“Right. Um, thanks though, really,” he says again and leans in for an awkward quick hug, because he can at least cater to the rest of his family’s touchy needs every now and then even though being all cuddly isn’t his thing. This time he feels that she at least deserves a bit of a hug for making sure he had matching socks. Though after the cheek pinching maybe she really doesn’t deserve a thing.

“Like I said, no problem. Now go. You’re really late. And don’t forget the keys!”

With a sheepish grin, Jongin snatches the keys out of the basket by the front door and sprints to the van, nearly slipping on the one icy patch that never seems to disappear on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, it’s something he seems to trip on every day despite the fact that he knows it’s there. Luckily he doesn’t fall on his though, because the last thing he needs is a bruised tailbone on his first official date with Kyungsoo, a relationship that’s basically been years in the making if he really wants to put a decent amount of thought into determining when he first started to like his beloved hyung. But right now that’s not something he’s concerned with considering the fact that he’s running late.

Though he’d originally thought it’d be wiser to avoid the main streets, since he’s prone to an unlucky streak of red lights whenever he does take them, he forgot to consider the tedious stop and go dilemma of the small ones. Go a block, slam on the brakes. Go another block, slam on the brakes again. Go another block, get so used to the idea that he has to stop that he doesn’t realize it’s only a two way stop, slam on the brakes.

“God damn stop signs,” he mutters as he glances at the car’s clock.

With a sigh he, eventually pulls up in front of Kyungsoo’s house and flips open his phone to send a text saying he’s there. To be completely proper, he should walk up the short path to Kyungsoo’s house, ring the doorbell, and charmingly tell his new boyfriend that his chariot awaits. But that requires extra time. And he’s already late because of all the stop signs and his sister’s desire to assist in fixing his clothing disaster. And he’s in the ing van. And, well, so maybe this isn’t going as perfectly as he would like it too, which has made him a bit grumpy (never good to try to be charming when you’re grumpy, you see) but oh well.

At least technology is speedy, sort of... He can see Kyungsoo exiting the front door before he actually receives the text. And, unfortunately, he feels immediately underdressed when he watches Kyungsoo walk towards the car. All he can really see is Kyungsoo’s winter coat (he’s wearing his nice one), lovely curve fitting dark jeans, and stylish black lace-up winter boots, but it makes him feel like an utter slob. Sneakers, a grotty old winter coat, and unstyled hair, Jongin feels completely inadequate and stupid. But this is Kyungsoo, and although Jongin can’t take his eyes off of his artfully dressed boyfriend as he walks over to the car, he knows that Kyungsoo won’t really care what he looks like.

“Oh good. You’re only eleven minutes tardy.” Kyungsoo grins as he slides into the passenger seat. “And we’re taking the van. Classy. What? No flowers on this first date?”

“Hello to you too,” he grumbles, trying not to openly gape at a well-dressed Kyungsoo. “And I have, um a flowery thing, I suppose? But it’s perishable. So I can’t give it to you now. If you’re going to be sassy, though, I’ll just keep it to myself.”

“I can tell this relationship is going to go smoothly,” Kyungsoo hums, pressing his hands against the heater as Jongin pulls away from the curb. “Where are we going, by the way? You said dress warmly, so I’m assuming it’s something outdoors?”

Jongin takes a sideways glance at him and grins. “Not telling you. You’ll see when we get there. Depending on your observation skills you might even figure it out before we arrive.”

“Oh god, we’re not going ice-skating are we? Please, please, please tell me that’s not what we’re doing. I’ll die. I’ll ing die, Kim Jongin. I’ll die before the date even starts,” he says desperately, clutching onto the door handle as if preparing to fling himself out from the car.

“No, calm down. I’m not repeating that mistake after the last time we went ice-skating. Most painful experience of my life. And can you stop with the dying or whatever before the date even starts? You’ll love it, I promise.”

“But I might freeze to death. It’s the middle of winter and you know I’m lame when it comes to the cold.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep you warm, hyung,” Jongin says and waggles his eyebrows suggestively.

If Jongin weren’t driving, Kyungsoo would consider punching his friend, but that dissolves immediately when he considers how this could possibly cause a car accident. “Just don’t do anything disgusting to me in public. I may have been friends with you for years, but I’ll have you know I don’t put out on the first date.”

“Uh... right.” Jongin gulps awkwardly, and pushes the sudden influx of unsaintly thoughts out of his mind that would never have come up if Kyungsoo had never implied anything. When he said “keep you warm” he really just meant a hug or the intimate gesture of securing his arm around Kyungsoo’s waist. But clearly Kyungsoo has other thoughts.

Sometimes it’s weird for him to think that his best friend has done things that, until recently, he has had no interest in. He’d sort of, not really, dated a girl once during senior year in high school, but they never got past kissing. Most likely, he suspects that has something to do with the fact that girls ended up just not being his thing. Not to mention he finds s to be terrifying after years of being squished against them during unwanted hugs with his siblings and mother. He irrationally fears them like they’re water balloons attached to a woman’s chest, and we all know what happens with water balloons if they are improperly handled.

But still, irrational fear of s set aside, Jongin knows that Kyungsoo has done things. Many things, probably. Like managing to date people long enough to get over all of his awkward and uncomfortable firsts, and fix himself during moments of heartache when things ended badly. For the most part, Jongin has beared witness to most of those moments of a sullen broken heart, watched his friend go from jubilant glee to extreme misery in a matter of weeks or months. One thing that Jongin could guarantee, is that even if he had no clue how or why it happened, he was always there in the end to help smooth over the cuts and bruises with late nights of playing video games and Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast the next morning.

So thinking about his friend dating other people shouldn’t really be that jarring, and yet somehow, sometimes, it still is. To him Kyungsoo is forever his childhood friend, a person seemingly innocent and uncomplicated. Only now they’re dating, not that dating really has to change that many things about him.

“Aw, is my Jonginnie blushing?” Kyungsoo smiles softly, voice somehow soothing and teasing at the same time.

Only now does Jongin realize that Kyungsoo’s been staring at him the whole time, eyes glued to the outline of his body in the shadowed darkness of the car. It feels a little strange having Kyungsoo look at him like this, considering he’s typically he’s a window gazer whenever he’s in a car. Occasionally a backseat driver as well, but this evening his eyes have been practically glued to Jongin. It’s not entirely uncomfortable to have his attention directed only at him, but at the same time he wants to ask if he’s done something stupid or if there’s broccoli from dinner stuck in his teeth and that’s why he’s being inspected so intensely.

He doesn’t ask though, keeping his tongue glued to the roof of his mouth to stop from blurting something out. Instead he reaches up to cup his cheek, slightly startled by the unexpected level of heat that radiates off of his cheeks. “Um, no,” he says lamely, and returns his hand to the steering wheel. Thank goodness it’s dark inside the van, otherwise he’s positive his face would match the stripes of red on his shirt.

“Of course not. My friend, Jonginnie, never blushes.” He chuckles, though his eyes are still scrutinizing his friend’s face.

“Exactly. And can you stop calling me Jonginnie? I refuse to let you call me that if I can’t call you Soosoo.” He pouts.

“But Jonginnie sounds cute, it fits you. Soosoo makes me sound like some ty character on a children’s television show. Most likely a e offset. And Soo, by itself, is a girl’s name.” Kyungsoo pokes his tongue out in protest.

“Maybe I want you to embrace your feminine side?” Jongin laughs. “And, besides, I’m not cute. Almost nineteen year olds aren’t cute. They’re. They’re. Uh Mature?”

“If you want me to embrace my feminine side, I think you should be dating girls and not boys, Jongin. And saying you look mature seems stupid considering that it’s the exact opposite of what you are,” he says pointedly and smooths his hands across his thighs. Jongin does his best to watch the road instead of Kyungsoo’s legs.

“I have my moments.” He gulps nervously.

“Moments of maturity or—Oh look, a sign for the zoo,” Kyungsoo says happily, attention easily distracted by the giant zoo sign covered in various animals. “Wait. Zoo? We’re going to the zoo? We’re going to see the holiday lights? I feel like a five-year-old again! Jongin, let me kiss you!”

“Ah, wait! Don’t reach for my face when I’m driving, you idiot! I may be good at multitasking, but I don’t think kissing and driving is something I’m quite capable of,” he exclaims and swats Kyungsoo’s hands away with his free hand while the other stays firmly planted on the steering wheel.

“Right, sorry,” Kyungsoo amends and securely twines his fingers together on his lap. “Minor lapse in judgment due to being reduced to the mentality of a five year old.”

“A five year old that apparently enjoys kissing. For someone who claims they don’t put out on the first date, you seem pretty into making out,” Jongin taunts as he pulls into a parking space a couple block away from the zoo since he doesn’t want to pay for parking (he’s a broke college student, okay?).

“Point taken,” Kyungsoo notes, eagerly unclipping his seatbelt the second the van stops.

He couldn’t care less that Jongin is teasing him right now since he’s so overcome by excitement by the prospect of going to see the zoo lights. It had been his favorite holiday tradition since he was young. Every year they’d go and admire the glittering displays of lights and decorated trees, soaking up the holiday joy even as their breath left puffs of white clouds in the frigid air. Going to see the holiday lights at the zoo is something he hasn’t done in at least six years, a tradition that was suddenly put to an end when his mother died. But now he’s back, and this time it’s with Jongin, and he’s happy to make as many new memories as possible to fill the void in time between now and the last time he came here.

“C’mon, slowpoke,” Kyungsoo teases when Jongin finally steps out of the car. Instinctively, he laces their fingers together and starts dragging Jongin towards the zoo entrance. He has no qualms with rushing the younger towards the direction of the zoo, certain that his longer legs will easily keep up with his hurried pace.

Jongin considers cracking a joke about how he really is acting like a five year old, but chooses to relish in the warmth of Kyungsoo’s fingers wrapped around his. Gloves was one of probably many things he forgot to take with him, though he can’t bring himself to regret it if that means he has a better excuse to hold Kyungsoo’s hand. Maybe he didn’t bring gloves either.

“Hold on,” Jongin whines, steering Kyungsoo towards the ticket booth though he seems insistent on charging right ahead. “We can’t get in if I don’t pick up the tickets.”

“You reserved tickets for the zoo?” the elder says skeptically, eyebrows raised.

“Well, not really reserved. I just happen to know someone that works here.”

Kyungsoo snorts and rolls his eyes. “Oh, so they’re for free then aren’t they? No wonder you said not to worry about payment. I almost feel cheated.”

“I’m just being, uh, cost mindful? Why let free tickets go to waste? I was going to make it up to you by buying you a nice hot drink so you don’t freeze all of your fingers off, but maybe I should just let you get frostbite,” Jongin snaps and then focuses his attention on the ticket seller. “There should be two tickets under Oh Sehun?”

The woman behind the counter gives Jongin a skeptical look, sighs, and starts digging around in a stack of papers for what he can only hope are the tickets. So maybe it’s very obvious that he’s not Oh Sehun, and they don’t even look remotely related, but he can’t be the only one that’s ever used an employee’s free tickets.

“Two full passes. Enjoy the lights,” she says gruffly, ing the tickets at him as if to shoo him away as quickly as possible. Not an ounce of her being seems to actually care if they have a good time or not.

“We will.” Jongin grins anyways.

The cold air is finally starting to sink in now and he wishes he had worn his warmer jacket. Having a scarf helps, but it’s not enough. He watches little kids bounce in front of him, eager to get in line and enter the zoo, and wishes he could be like them, completely oblivious to the frigid temperatures. Kyungsoo looks just about as happy as they are though, eyes glazed over as he looks ahead at the rows of decorated trees and glowing lights. It’s enough to warm his heart just a little, but doesn’t quite reach his fingers. Maybe he’ll be the one that ends up frozen tonight.

“If you let me get frostbite you won’t have a boyfriend anymore,” Kyungsoo murmurs once they’ve finally entered the zoo, arm securely linked with Jongin’s.

Jongin sighs and pokes Kyungsoo’s chest with his free hand and tries to not think about how his fingers are probably turning blue. “God, I knew your silence after that statement was too good to be true.”

“Of course,” he laughs. “Hey, did you forget gloves?”

Jongin shrugs.

“Wouldn’t be the first time. Good thing I came prepared.” Out of his coat pocket, Kyungsoo pulls out two pairs of gloves, one a soft woolen grey, the other a smooth black leather. “Black or grey?”

“Black.”

Kyungsoo hums approvingly and grabs Jongin’s hand. With the precision of a skilled mother, he slips the gloves onto the younger’s hands, fitting each long finger snuggly into the correct spot. Funny, it fits perfectly.

To no avail, Jongin tries to suppress a smile. “You knew I’d pick black.” His eyes twinkle as he watches the older boy pull on the grey ones. They look soft and warm and it almost makes him wish he weren’t wearing a pair of gloves so he could tangle his fingers into them too, feeling the fabric rub against his skin as he relinks their hands.

“You always pick black.” He grins. “I just like reaffirming that I’m right about you sometimes.”

“Only sometimes?”

Kyungsoo looks up at him quizzically for a few moments. “Most times,” he eventually concedes. Jongin smiles and vaguely wonders if his cheeks are going to break off by the end of the night.

“C’mon, lets go get something warm to drink. I was thinking we could ride the tram first, get a nice tour of the zoo and then walk around if we haven’t frozen to death.”

“I thought I’m supposed to be getting frostbite tonight,” the elder laughs, already eyeing a nearby kiosk that claims to sell steaming cups of hot chocolate.

There are already a few people in line with whiney children in tow, begging for their parents to ask for extra marshmallows or whipped cream on top. Just staring at them he feels like a child again, remember when he used to do the same, except his favorite was always the peppermint hot chocolate. It was basically the same as regular hot chocolate, but with a few pumps of peppermint flavoring and crushed candy canes on top. A treat that could be found at nearly any coffee shop during the holiday season, but he always held out for that one night of glimmering lights at the zoo.

When his family had been strapped for cash, having just hardly enough to keep up the cost of everyday living, Kyungsoo’s go-to gift was a night admiring sparkling lights at the zoo and gulping down peppermint hot chocolate so swiftly that he’d nearly scald the back of his throat. Seeing all the bright, flickering lights and watching people sculpt blocks of ice into beautiful works of art made up for the lack of holiday cheer at home, something he hadn’t really remembered he missed so much since the last time he came here.

To his shock, Jongin orders two peppermint hot chocolates and flashes Kyungsoo a wide grin as he tucks the change back into his wallet.

“What?” Jongin asks, trying to conceal the brief flash of insecurity that glides across his face as he looks over at him. “You’re staring at me like I’m an alien made of candy and rainbows.”

Snorting rather unattractively, Kyungsoo covers his face in shame and mumbles, “Alien yes. Candy and rainbows, I think not.”

Jongin blinks for a few moments, trying to decipher the garble that’s been mumbled into Kyungsoo’s glove clad hand. “I have no idea what you said, and maybe that’s a good thing, but here’s your drink,” he says and bumps the cup against the hand he’s using to cover his mouth.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo says appreciatively and grabs the cup, immediately taking a sip of the milky, sweet liquid. Disappointment dissipates quickly across the tip of his tongue and down his throat. He struggles to hide it. “These don’t taste nearly as good as I remember them,” he sighs, staring dejectedly at the cup. “Maybe I’ve lost my sweet tooth?”

“Maybe.” Jongin frowns, though he knows that’s only a quarter of the truth. He links their free hand together and gives a reassuring squeeze.

It’s been years since Kyungsoo mentioned how he used to spend his holidays at the zoo. Years of forgetting, and now suddenly remembering and enrapturing himself in memories glossed over with shiny seals that block out the sadness. There’s no doubt in Jongin’s mind that right now every moment seems a little too sugar coated and that the taste of an overly sweet drink is enough to start bringing down his high.

“So, who’s this Oh Sehun?” Kyungsoo says after a few moments of silence while the two of them aimlessly walk down light covered paths, watching families weave around in front of them, ooh-ing and ah-ing at the displays.

“Friend I met at school this semester. Works the motor tram here apparently during the summer and the holiday season. If we’re lucky enough, we won’t have to see him tonight.”

“Lucky?” Kyungsoo questions. “Why do you always have a knack for making friends you don’t want to see in public?” He laughs.

Because I instantly become the of every joke, Jongin wants to retort, except then he knows that will only ensue with further teasing. Oh wait, but this is Kyungsoo so he’ll get teased anyways just by existing. And he’s dating him again because why?

“Wait, don’t answer that. I think I already know.” The elder chuckles. Of course he knows. He’s one of those friends. Except that he’s a best friend, now boyfriend, so he can get away with it.

If Jongin weren’t holding a hot drink in the hand that’s not linked with Kyungsoo’s, he’d punch him. “Whatever, lets go ride the tram, yeah? I’m lazy and don’t feel like walking.”

It just so happens that of course Jongin is ever so lucky and the driver of the tram they’re on that night is the one and only Oh Sehun. Needless to say, it’s more amusing for Kyungsoo than Jongin to have such a moment occur. Teasing is easier and more fun with a partner in crime after all. Sehun and Kyungsoo take no time at all to start ripping Jongin’s dignity apart while they wait the customary few minutes for people to arrive and board the tram.

The whole situation has Jongin cursing and blushing uncontrollably, but he’s still holding that hot drink and Kyungsoo’s hand so he can’t punch anyone. Not to mention he’s not sure Sehun would be able to drive properly if he kicked him in the nuts. So maybe he should go for the shins?

Kyungsoo can see the infinite amount of strain this is putting on Jongin’s ego and eventually backs off with a satisfied grin. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist,” he says apologetically after they part with Sehun. “Don’t hate me.”

“Sometimes I want to, but I can’t.” Jongin sighs and tugs Kyungsoo onto one of the various rows of plastic white seats before the tram leaves without them. He snuggles in close to him, trying to absorb some extra body warmth by pressing every available body part together, right up to the tips of their shoes. If Kyungsoo minds, he doesn’t show it.

For most of the ride, they don’t say much and Jongin relishes in the comfort of their silence. It’s part of what he’s always liked most about their relationship, really. That most of the time they can be obnoxiously loud and teasing each other, but then they can have moments like these when not a word is said between them and there’s nothing awkward about it. They can just sit there quietly, listening to a person prattling on about who donated certain decorations and interesting facts about the animals, and not a second goes by that Jongin feels the need to fill in the gaps with words of his own. It’s comfortable. Something he’s been missing during the months they’ve been apart from each other at school.

“You’re deep in thought. I can tell,” Kyungsoo says when the tram pulls to a stop and gives a squeeze to Jongin’s thighs. “You didn’t even comment about the light up, disproportionate dinosaurs and volcanoes. I still haven’t forgotten about your obsession with dinosaurs as a child. Last summer you even made me go see the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit with you.”

“Oh nothing. Oooh, and we should go again since it’s coming back here this spring. I lost my pictures of the sign that said ‘Beware of Dinosaur Droppings’ when my phone got stolen,” Jongin says excitedly.

Kyungsoo quirks an eyebrow and sighs, giving Jongin’s thigh a little squeeze before lapsing back into silence. Jongin takes that as a sign that no, they will not be attending Dinosaurs Alive again this year. What a shame.

“No really though, what were you thinking about?” Kyungsoo shifts in his seat so he’s facing him and Jongin finds himself missing the warmth of their thighs pressed together.

Just thinking about how much I like you. “I was wondering what sort of animals we would be like if we were, ya know animals” he says lamely.

“Oh?” Kyungsoo snorts. “So what animal would I be then?”

Jongin takes a good look at his surroundings, trying to see past the flickering lights that at the moment are almost giving him a seizure, for some form of inspiration. As his head twists to the right and he catches sight of an illuminated blue creature, suddenly it clicks. “I think you’d make a very good moose,” he says earnestly, though it earns his freezing thigh a hard slap as the person beside him recoils in disdain.

“And here I was preparing to call you something awesome like a jaguar or a snow leopard, but then you call me a ing moose?” he huffs as his cheeks flush with annoyance. Or maybe it’s just the cold?

“A cute moose,” Jongin says desperately, reaching out to cup Kyungsoo’s pink face with his hands. “It’s the nose.” Oops.

Unfortunately, his hands get swatted away.

“My nose? You think I have the nose of a moose? You might as well say I’m sprouting giant ing antlers. Oh my god.”

“To be honest, I think you’d look cute with antlers.” This earns Jongin’s thigh another hard slap as Kyungsoo squawks indignantly. He wonders if Kyungsoo slaps his thigh anymore it will shatter into a million pieces, because it feels like it’s turning into ice.

Desperately, he reaches out for Kyungsoo again. One hand grasps for the fabric of his coat and the other tries to latch onto his face. Naturally, the petulant creature in front of him recoils, but it’s almost too late because Jongin’s fingers are gripping into warm cloth. Incidentally, the two of them end up toppled over, Kyungsoo pressed back onto the plastic seat with Jongin looming over him. The hand that managed to latch onto Kyungsoo’s coat and the forearm nestled next to his head is the only thing that stops the two of them from completely falling to the floor.

“Cutest moose ever.” Jongin smiles, eyes twinkling as he stares down at the shocked face beneath him. He’s certainly warm now, whether from embarrassment or the heat of the person below him he isn’t sure, but it feels nice. If they weren’t in the open eye of the public, who are now gasping and sending them dirty looks no doubt, he’d very much like to lean down and kiss those pretty pink lips.

“We’re on a tram, Jongin,” Kyungsoo breathes, hot puffs of breath fluffing across Jongin’s cold cheeks. “And this is a highly compromising position for such a public motor vehicle.”

“Right.” He gulps. “Let’s get off this thing at the next stop. I’m freezing.” As if to prove his point, he shivers.

“Jongin,” the elder whines and tries to give him a gentle shove. “You’re not doing a very good job of sitting up.”

Jongin’s mouth slowly forms a silent ‘oh’ as he starts to sit up, but then he stops halfway with both of his palms pressed flat against the seat on either side of Kyungsoo’s head. “I really want to kiss you,” he murmurs.

“Motor tram. Public. Old couple in the back probably giving us the evil eye. Horrified children. You called me a moose.” The elder blushes, but doesn’t push Jongin away.

So what if there are old people in the back of their tram car clucking their tongues with disapproval? Screw the people walking around outside trying not to stare at them in their “compromising position”. Kyungsoo is warm, and his mouth looks soft, just like the rest of him. Not to mention he’s sort of been dreaming about kissing Kyungsoo again since that night at the movies.

“Sehun in the front seat aching to get more dirt on you as we speak so he can publicly humiliate you and ruin the rest of your college career.”

Jongin instantly shrinks back as Kyungsoo smirks. his friends. everything. He can hardly even imagine the sheer amount of gossip it will create amongst his fellow acquaintances at school. Sehun will no doubt open up his trap to that blondie that he’s crushing on, Luhan or whatever, that’s in his fraternity. And then from there he’s sure to blab about it to Yixing, who will no doubt gush about it to Kris and, knowing Kris and the way he likes to be an , he’s sure he’ll be picked on for the rest of his life. And, oh my god, Kris knows like everyone and, since he’s kind of annoyed with Jongin for playing a prank on him once, he’ll see this as a perfect opportunity to get revenge by spreading endless rumors and ridiculous stories about Jongin ing his boyfriend on a Motor Safari Tram at the zoo or something.

Funny, Jongin thinks, how his experiences at college might be more ed up than any he’s had in high school. How did he get himself entangled with so many gossip engrossed freaks?

“Thought that would do it,” Kyungsoo hums. “Now be a good boy and sit next to me like the innocent creature you are.”

Were, Jongin wants to retort, since tonight his mind has apparently taken a turn for the worst. “Yes master,” he says mockingly and rolls his eyes.

The elder smiles approvingly and gives Jongin’s thigh another squeeze, a gesture Jongin thinks he could get used to if it’s his precious hyung that’s doing it.

He tries to behave, focus his attention on the light displays and the constant buzz of excited children and Christmas songs blasting from all the stereo systems, but the way Kyungsoo’s fingers keeping running up and down his thighs is driving him insane. Little pricks of fire burning underneath his jeans and into his skin. It’s maddening. The feeling of Kyungsoo’s fleeting fingers is enough to make his surroundings blur and morph into one giant, glowing blob. All he sees are glove-covered fingers skittering across his thighs.

He’s just about to give in, lean over and press a kiss to the corner of Kyungsoo’s mouth, when the tram comes to a stop and the elder is already hopping out of his seat and dragging Jongin with him. “You wanted to get off right?”

“Yes,” he blinks, more than a little taken aback as he’s tugged back into the reality. Well, at least Kyungsoo’s fingers are now entangled with his instead of teasing across his skin.

“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” Sehun calls after them with a smirk, no doubt already forming his fabricated story for when he calls Luhan later.

Jongin turns to flash him the finger just as he’s popping his head back inside of the window. Flicking him off is the only thing that will give him temporary satisfaction as he tries not to think about what awaits him once he returns to school. It’s going to be hell.

They toss their empty cups in the nearest trashcan and then Kyungsoo quickly ushers them towards a gift shop mumbling something about his toes freezing and needing to warm up.

There is absolutely no reason for Jongin to protest against that, so he lets himself get dragged inside only to get hit with a wall of heat. It feels almost painful against the frigid cold of his body. Going to from practically frozen to molten hot in minutes. It makes his limbs sore and he grimaces. This is one of the side effects of winter that he hates most. When he’s outside he can’t feel his fingers, and then the second he surrounds himself in heat again his skin feels like it’s burning off.

“Big baby,” Kyungsoo coos and pats Jongin’s arm soothingly as if he too isn’t suffering the same fate, which he most definitely is. Jongin can tell just by the ridiculously rosy tint to his cheeks. A flush the he begrudgingly is becoming addicted to seeing. Maybe winter isn’t such a bad thing after all.

“The biggest,” he agrees.

Kyungsoo eyes him suspiciously, clearly deciding whether or not he should retort with something inappropriate, but chooses to spare the younger boy and instead wanders off to look around. He might as well look at the merchandise while defrosting.

For what seems like hours, the two of them putter around the store, pretend fighting with stuffed animals and long, twisted, rainbow lollipops until a staff member starts scolding them. When they can no longer battle out in the open, Kyungsoo takes to snapping onto Jongin’s arm with a tiger pincher grabber toy*. Jongin swats it away claiming to be allergic to tiger bites and would much prefer moose bites instead. Kyungsoo smacks him, which, for some reason, only warrants them a mild glare from the previous employ that ruined their animal lollipop war.

Somehow Jongin cons Kyungsoo into buying him a keychain that says “ Throb” surrounded by a gang of cute looking animals. Unfortunately there is no moose adorning it, but at least there’s an elephant, a giraffe, a tiger, and a polar bear. Oh, and a gorilla that Kyungsoo claims is the spitting image of Jongin himself. Jongin purposefully ignores the jab at his pride, and the complaint about how he was supposed to be the one paying for everything this evening as he attaches it to his set of house keys. Secretly, Jongin sees this as payback for the torture he endured on the tram ride.

“I’ll make it up to you later,” he promises.

Just before it’s time for them to go, aka the zoo is closing so they either get to leave by choice or get kicked out, they decide to take a ride on the carousel. Jongin tries not to gag at the Ke$ha song that plays while the carousel spins. It doesn’t match the Christmas music that’s blasting throughout the rest of the zoo. But he does his best to ignore it and instead focuses his attention on an exceedingly overjoyed Kyungsoo.

Riding the carousel is another thing Jongin knows he hasn’t done since he last came here for the holiday lights. The hot chocolate may have been a bit of a let down for him, but it appears that the carousel is not. Though it’s moving slowly, a nippy breeze keeps tugging at his hair and cheeks, but he looks cute and just as happy as all the other little children riding up and down on their fake snow leopards or lions. It makes Jongin happy to see Kyungsoo look so childish again, like all those years ago when they’d have adventures traveling all across their neighborhoods, hunting down imaginary bears or bouncing around on the school playground.

Just looking at Kyungsoo’s glazed over eyes gives him waves of happy nostalgia because it’s one thing to just date anyone that you think is nice or good looking, but it’s infinitely better to be with someone that’s your best friend. Someone that you can look at and think of all the years you’ve spent growing up together and doing stupid silly . Someone who already knows how to cope with you when you feel like being a grumpy, sassy, one day and a complete ball of mush the next. If he hadn’t known Kyungsoo all these years he doubts he would have been able to get away with calling him a moose or an even more dreaded Soosoo.

When the ride is over, Jongin wraps his arm securely around Kyungsoo’s waist and smiles when he feels him lean into the touch. He babbles on and on about how he used to beg his mother to sit on the same animal as him even though it was against the rules. Or how his dad was always afraid of sitting on one of the animals that moved so he’d only sit in the stationary ones or the carriages.

All the rest of Kyungsoo’s memories come bubbling forth and he doesn’t spare Jongin a single story. Some of them he’s heard before, like the time he slipped on a patch of ice and broke his wrist, and others he’s never heard at all. But he doesn’t care, because Kyungsoo just sounds so magnificently happy. Eyes sparkling just as luminously as the flashing lights while his free hand waves around dramatically to accentuate his statements. It’s the most he’s heard Kyungsoo gush about something in months.

Sehun spots them on their way out and gives them a disgusting wink that gives Jongin shivers and makes Kyungsoo cackle. Luckily he doesn’t come close enough for conversation because Jongin doesn’t think he can handle another round of him and Kyungsoo tag teaming him with insults. He does, however, send him a text a few minutes later with a winky face and a lewd question asking what they will be up to later tonight. Jongin, of course, ignores this and tosses his phone into the cup holder the second they get into the car, eager to get away from anything related to his ert of a friend.

The ride back to his house is infinitely more relaxed than the drive there. Kyungsoo switches the radio station from some horrible dub step song to Christmas tunes and starts singing along. It may already be past Christmas, but boy do they milk Christmas music to the nth degree, starting it practically the day after Halloween. Jongin has half a mind to nag Kyungsoo to turn it off, but he can’t bring himself to do so. Kyungsoo just looks too adorable sitting there, bopping his head along with the songs and belting out the notes. In the middle of “Silent Night” his voice cracks and Jongin bursts out laughing which causes him to nearly miss his turn. It also earns his thigh a very hard slap, but that’s okay because he’s still laughing and the laughter outweighs the pain.

“Well, that’s the last time I sing for you,” Kyungsoo snaps. “Not like you can hold any of those notes longer than I can.”

“The difference is that I don’t try to,” Jongin points out.

“That’s only because you aren’t gifted with my godly voice. But, um, why are we pulling up to your house? You gonna make me walk home from here?”

“Of course not,” Jongin scoffs. “I promised you flowers, didn’t I? They’re inside. I’ll be right back.”

To be honest, Kyungsoo isn’t really expecting anything from Jongin at all. Not in a sense that he believes Jongin to be incapable of being “romantic” or whatever, but more in the sense that it just doesn’t truly matter to him. He doesn’t need flowers and fancy gifts, never has.

What he absolutely isn’t expecting, though, is for Jongin to return with a bunch of pieces of fruit, cut into flowery shapes, and then dipped in chocolate. He’s wanted one of these Edible Arrangement things since forever, and he practically wants to sob because Jongin knows he’d rather have chocolate covered fruit than flowers on any given day. Ever since Edible Arrangements opened up near his house he had been dying to purchase one, but he never had a good reason too, and now he’s received one as a gift. It’s far more fabulous of a feeling than if he had gone to buy one for himself.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo whispers, cradling the basket of fruit flowers in his lap like a fragile newborn kitten.

“You’re welcome, hyung.” Jongin smiles and laughs, biting back a comment about how Kyungsoo is currently looking at the fruit basket with more affection than he has ever looked at Jongin himself.  “Can I kiss you now?”

Kyungsoo looks over at Jongin and blinks for a few seconds with a “you really have to ask me that” face, before leaning over and awkwardly pressing their lips together. It’s hard to kiss someone while cradling a precious basket of fruit and leaning over the armrest that separates your car seats. But somehow they manage, though the kiss ends in a frustrated gurgle because clearly Jongin is dissatisfied with how the fruit and the restraints of the car are getting in the way.

It’s actually really ing frustrating, for Jongin, since he’s wanted to do this all night. He tries to pull Kyungsoo in for another, hopefully more satisfying kiss, but he nearly crinkles the precious plastic tent protecting Kyungsoo’s fruit when the elder pulls back and cackles.

Jongin scowls and mumbles something under his breath about it being a bad idea buying that fruit.

“Next time,” Kyungsoo smirks, “it’s my turn to plan the date. Then you can kiss me all you want.”

Slowly, the scowl on Jongin’s face turns up into a grin. “So, when’s next time?”

Kyungsoo only laughs and doesn’t say a word until he’s made sure Jongin has driven him home and dropped him off at his house. “Next time, how about New Year’s Eve since I’m gone for the weekend?” he finally says and leans over to press a kiss to the younger boy’s cheek.

Enthusiastically, Jongin nods his head and tries to kiss Kyungsoo again, but he gets swatted away once again right before the elder bounces out of the car with a childish giggle.

“New Year’s Eve,” Jongin whispers to himself excitedly as he pulls away from the curb.

This is going to be the longest four days of his life.

 

 

 

*Whoever came up with the name of this toy is a lame -_- seriously… pincher grabber? I'm not even going to give you an A for your efforts. No gold stars for you, toy naming man.

A/N: If you made it this far, I congratulate you, because wtf did I write? Also this will potentially have a sequel if I ever finish it. And it may or may not involve O_O but don’t except anything because I haven’t really ever written before. Oops.