Love

Love

Love was nothing but simply a word to me… until he came along.
He showed me what unconditional love truly was. He made me feel love. He taught me the real meaning of love. But… he didn’t teach me how to stop. You see, love isn’t all about the big, grand gestures of romance that hopeless dreamers fall for, no. Love… can be expressed in the most simplest forms ever. It is those small things that he does; saying ‘I love you’, hugging me, paying me not-so-subtle compliments, bringing a huge smile onto my face, making me laugh… it’s those little things that really matter most in the end. It’s those little things that make me love him even more.

I know that I am way past infatuation. I know… that I am deep in the pool of love. I know this, because… I would do anything for him. I would sacrifice all I have for him. And I know that he would do the same for me, too.

I admit it; I have fallen for a guy who I promise myself that I would never fall for. But… I couldn’t help it. I can’t control who I fall in love with. I just… I just can’t. But, I do not regret falling in love with him. Why? Well… because I have finally found someone who… someone who is actually afraid to lose me.

Can you believe that?

He… is afraid to lose me. Do Kyungsoo… is afraid to lose… me.

And, he doesn’t ever hide this fear from me.

Love… is a powerful sensation. In fact… it is the most powerful sensation. It drives people nuts, it makes people do things that they would never ever normally do, it distracts people from everything else that matters, and it… it can be quite dangerous.

But I love it all the same. I love… love.

I love Do Kyungsoo.

“Why are you smiling, Mi Ae?” He asks, breaking me out of my reverie. He walks towards the dining room, balancing two plates of two glasses in his hands. He sets down the plates of food on the marble table; one for me, and one for him and then pours water into the glasses. He pulls out a chair, and then adds, “Tell me what you’re thinking about.”

“Oh,” I chuckle, my cheeks slightly flushed. “I… I was just thinking about us.”

“Yeah?”

I nod.

“Well, what about… us?” He questions, reaching for his knife and fork.

“I was just thinking about how lucky I am, to… you know,” I say, curling my fingers around my glass. “Have you in my life.”

“Likewise,” he says, laughing a little.

His response is followed by comfortable silence; a silence that isn’t begging to be filled. I like the silence. It’s… it’s an easy sort of silence. I watch as Kyungsoo stares at his glass, a look of grave cognition on his face. I stifle a snicker. He spaces out sometimes.

It’s… it’s pretty cute.

A couple of minutes later, he calls, “Mi Ae?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you…” he pauses, like as though hesitant to continue. “Do you like the idea of being in my life…” he clears his throat. “Forever?”

I gawk at him. “W-what?”

The corners of his lips twitch upwards. He seems to have more confidence now. “How do you feel about the idea of being bonded together… as…” he frowns then, like as though still choosing the words that he wishes to say next. “As…” with careful consideration, he finishes, “As husband and wife?”

My heart begins to beat hard against my chest. “Are y-you,” I begin, stammering. “Are you asking me to – “ I can’t even utter the last two words. My… my throat feels dry.

“Marry me,” he announces.

My stomach does acrobat flips. Did he just… did he just… propose? My head races with a plethora of thoughts that suddenly decided to spill into my brain, all of which are incomprehensible, vague, and unclear. No… he just… oh gosh.

“Song Mi Ae,” he starts, walking towards me. I freeze in my spot. He bends down, takes my numb hands in his, and then angles his face upwards, shooting me the most beautiful, swoon-worthy smile that I have ever seen in my whole life. “Will you do me the honor, of marrying me?”

I gaze into his eyes, the eyes that brim with life, the eyes that brim with love, the eyes that brim with sincerity, passion, and certainty. I’ve always assumed that if someone were to propose to me one day, that I would scream ‘yes’ at the top of my lungs. But right now… I can’t seem to find my voice. Right now, with him looking at me like that, with him smiling his all too adorable dimpled-smile at me like that, I… I just can’t seem to shout.

In a small, barely audible voice, I whisper, “Yes.”

Then… he captures my word with his lips.