I Need You

I Need You

 

                I was silently listening to the TV when I heard a loud scream coming from upstairs. I rush up to Sunggyu’s room, bumping into his wheelchair before stumbling on his bed. His eyes were closed, but he was sweating and breathing heavily. I felt him tense up as I sat on his bed, beside his body.

‘’Don’t worry, it’s just me.’’, I whispered as I squeezed his hand.

Sunggyu’s hands wandered on my face until he dropped them on the bed, calming down at the same time. I smiled and softly petted his hair.

‘’Do you want some water?’’, I said as I got up, but he quickly grabbed my arm.

‘’Please, don’t leave my side.’’, Sunggyu pleaded with a trembling voice.

I sat back down and wiped a tear from the corner of his eye. ‘’You know I would never. How many times have I told you?’’, I smiled again even though I knew he couldn’t see me.

‘’I-I know...but I always dream about you leaving me. It seems so...real.’’, he replied with a sigh.

I cupped his face and pecked his lips before getting up. ‘’I’ll go get you a glass of water and I’ll come back, I promise.’’, I smiled and placed his hand on my cheek, feeling the warmness of his skin.

‘’Can I come with you?’’, Sunggyu mumbled.

‘’But I have to massage your legs before I can move you.’’

‘’Can you do it now?’’

I stared at him before I threw his covers on the ground. ‘’Sure. Don’t move, hm?’’, I giggled.

‘’...Really?’’, he laughed and lifted himself on his elbows, waiting for me.

I looked at his legs, they were thin and pale. It has been a few months he hasn’t used them, which is why I massage them. I placed my hands on his thighs and lightly squeezed them, slowly moving towards his feet.

‘’I can’t wait until you walk again.’’, I said with a bright smile.

‘’I can’t either, but you’re going to have to massage me if you ever want that to happen.’’, Sunggyu chuckled.

‘’...But I am doing that.’’, I blinked a few times.

‘’What—No, stop joking.’’, his voice was picking up pace.

‘’I’m not.’’ I pinched his leg. ‘’Did you feel that?’’

‘’Feel what?’’, his breathing was harsher, and his upper body tensed.

Suddenly, silence invaded the room. We both chose not to speak because we didn’t want to reveal the truth we all knew. The truth that he wasn’t feeling anything. The truth that he won’t ever feel anything.

The truth that he will never use his legs again.

‘’...Please stay,’’, he started, choking on a few sobs. ‘’I need you.’’