Birthday Suprise

Getting Over You

"Hey, birthday girl!" 

I sit up so fast, I get a head rush, the world is tilting from blue sky to gray bleachers and back to the lush grass of the empty field. It's the first week of summer and there's nobody but my lovely boo, heading my way with a knowing smile on his face and both hands are hidden behind his back. We're both in our usual high school uniforms, because we're still in school. 

"Close your eyes." He stopped a few feet away. The setting sun is shining through his hair that makes me go blind.

"No peeking." he warned me. 

"Is it a bunny?" I clapped my hands in excitement. "Or, perhaps it's a Super Junior new album!" 

"You wanted a Super Junior album?" he teased me. "Why didn't you say so.. They have a lot in the music store, plus they were signed. But I figured that after 3 weeks or so you'll be disgusted by it..." 

"B-but all of the other girls have one." I cried. He knows that I hate when girls are whining about SJ.

We both laughed.

I still kept my eyes shut, until i can feel that he put something slowly on the ground. 

"Okay, open your eyes." 

I looked on the ground and I saw a shoebox. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" he said excitedly.

I grabbed the box and opened them quickly. I opened the top cover, inside of it was a pair of sneakers. It is purple and has white stripes. But in the back of it was his name: 송찬호. After I saw his name, I hugged him really tight and kissed him on the cheek "Thank you, thank you! This is the best presents ever!"

"See, we match." He showed his sneakers that he was wearing. I didn't even notice. But the back of his shoes it says my name: 윤은미

We both laid down on the grass. I watched him for a moment. Shadows falling across those perfect cheekbones. He's just perfect. 

"I can't wait for us to be trainees in SM." he said. Both of us audtioned at SM Ent. to pursue our dreams. We always dream about working in SM company. 

"Yeah, so you can get closer with Girls' Generation?" I laughed. He likes Girls' Generation a lot.

"So are you ready for the next part of your birthday? We got the whole night of fun ahead of us." 

"As long as it includes food." I replied lightly. My stomach grumbled, because i haven't eaten since this morning.

"Alright." he ruffled my hair. 

I changed my sneakers into the new sneakers that he gave me, i put my old ones into my big, red, element backpack. Then we both headed back towards the parking lot. I thought of the fabulous summer ahead of us. Being a trainee in SM Entertainment, dancing, singing... Sure, there are ten-hour days of classes scheduled, but it will fly by. We both are still waiting for our acceptance letters.

We reached his old vespa that parked in the middle of the concrete. He handed me the black passenger helmet. I knocked three times on the metal for luck as I climbed on board. It's stupid, i know. I tucked my hair inside the helmet. He started the engine. This is the part i love the most: wrapping my arms around him. 

We arrived at a cafe called Kimcheese Cafe. I thought the owner was French or something, because they have the best cheesecake ever. 

We headed for our regular table in the back, the one under the wall of Secret posters. How I wonder Hyosung is so hot in that poster, I'm always jealous of her beauty. "The usual?" Chan Ho asked. "Yup!" I hurled myself down on the cracked leather bench. 

He headed for the counter while I settled back and checking all the Secret's members. 

After a few minutes later, Chan Ho returned. "Make a wish." He returned, depositing a tray with our drinks on the table and presenting me with a hald cutted cheesecake adorned with a single candle. 

"Oppa! You didn't have to!" I protested. Strawberry cheesecake: my favorite. He remembers.

"Sure I did... Aren't I the best oppa ever?" he made faces then burst into laughter. "Come one blow out candle!" 

"Fine. As long as there's no singing." i warned him, then i blew out the candle. Then he cheered, "YAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAGIYA~" he pecked me on the lips. I hated when he kisses me in the public. 

After hours and hours talking in the cafe, we took a walk around the city but then I noticed something on his face he gave me this huge big smile. I could tell he seems to be really happy about something, and he kinda makes me feel awkward. "Ehehe, oppa what's up?" I asked. "Something wrong?"

"i can't wait to tell you this but..." the part when he says but made me nervous. "... I got the acceptance letter from the company." "And..." i added. "I GOT IN! I'M A TRAINEE!" the joyful smile on his face made me want to scream. I was so surprised, like i wanted to happen to me, like now. "OMO! Oppa! Congratulations!" I hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. "When are you starting?" I had so many question in my mind. "After school's over i'll be starting going to the company a lot. My schedule is packed, so many classes." Oh my gosh. He is so lucky, i just can't wait to get home and check if there's any mail for me. 

It's getting late at night. Chan Ho droped me off back home after screaming in his ears. I got out from the seat and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll call you in the morning." I promised. I rushed towards in front of my house fence and waved at him. I watched him happily as he drifted off. 

I came in the house, then there were my parents. "Honey!" she beamed. "We've been waiting for you! Are you ready for your suprise?" Tell you the truth i had enough surprises today. "Sure.. Let me just change first." I said. "No need, your gift is upstairs." 

I went upstairs to my room, then i saw a huge DSLR camera with two new lenses package. WOW. these are the things i needed. The only two things I'm talented at is taking pictures and dancing. i guess when I was little I really liked to take pictures of myself, then it was a habit of mine being a narcissist.

i changed my clothes then went downstairs. I hugged both of my parents. "Thank you! Thank you! You guys are the best!' They're the coolest parents i ever had. I told them most of my problems in life, and they're cool about it. I guess my homies at home are the best people to go to. 

"Umma," i said, I stopped her. "Did the mail come? From SM Entertainment?" I asked

"Just check on the coffee table." she told me.

I went look through the mails, then I saw my name on the big brown paper envelope. I cried, tearing it open in such a rush that I ripped part of the letter. Then i eagerly scanned the printed letter, my eyes were racing over small type. 

             Dear Ms. Yoon Eun Mi,

Thank you for your application to SM Entertainment. However we regret to inform you that due to the high number of participants this year, we have decided limit intake to those who have completed their junior year of high school... 

I stopped reading it. That couldn't be right. I felt a sudden rise in my chest. But I snapped out of it. I realized that there will always be another next year. Or chances that God's going to give to me. I'm just kinda disappointed in myself. No lessons, no seeing Girls Generation or Super Junior pass by the hallway, no spending time in the company, dancing. Nothing. 

I'm on my own.