Safe

My Detective Babysitter

 

A/N: Oh my! Your positive responses really really made me happy! Thank you! Now I feel pressured to keep the good story line and chapters coming. OMO! Anyways, I'm really thankful to all of you, my dearest readers! Thank you!! Here's another one for you all! ^_^

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Believe me, this is the first. Sure, an attempt of kidnapping did occur once and we figured that that is because they know we can give them any amount they ask in exchange for my son. But to actually try to kill him? This is the first, and definitely the worst!” Mr. Ahn has been pacing the huge study room of the mansion when he received that call from Minsoo earlier. He couldn’t believe that there would actually be a threat to Niel’s life and in the University of all places!

“So what now?” Minsoo asked in a calmer manner than the one he had when he called to Niel’s father. He couldn’t believe what might just happened if he hadn’t looked up at the right time to see that red light. His subject could’ve died right under his nose! That’s what angers him most. What’s to become of his reputation if he couldn’t safeguard one lanky looking young man?

He cursed under his breath when he felt Niel shaking from under him after the gun was shot.

Mr. Ahn now stood in front of Minsoo. “I’ve had a meeting with the head of the Ahns’ security while waiting for you to come home. Agents were deployed to check the vicinity of the University to see where the attack possibly came from. Maybe you have guessed already, and yes, the sniper was positioned on the rooftop of one of the buildings inside the campus. So we figured that the University is not a safe place for my son anymore.” He explained.

“Did you ask assistance from the police?”

“No. My men can respond quicker, you know this. And also, they are under my command so they will not stop until they get to pin who the sniper is and what his purpose is.”

“Of course, Sir. I understand. So, what of my job to protect your son now? I mean, since he’s not safe in the University anymore as you said so a while ago, I am thinking he’s not going to attend school anymore? Therefore, I’m dismissed?” If this is true, then that means he’s back to working cases again. And yes, he likes that idea.

Mr. Ahn clears his throat before responding. “I haven’t talked to Niel yet about that matter. Whether he would stop going to school and just have private lessons here, I don’t know yet. You see, I respect my son’s wishes as he is the only one I have left.” Minsoo saw the shadow of sadness creep through the eyes of the old man. “But.. I couldn’t take his safety for granted too, right? I mean, that’s the reason why I employed all of you brave men for that.” He tried to smile but the smile stopped on his old lips.

Minsoo remained silent. He’s waiting for the old man’s decision. As for him, he can walk out of the mansion anytime. And he can also continue with his job as Niel’s personal bodyguard. Now that he has already spent a week with the young heir, he is convinced that Niel’s different from the other rich people’s children. Niel knows compassion. Minsoo has learnt that by the way he treats all of his bodyguards as friends and not some dog that would do his every bidding.

“Do you mind if I send you home for now and have a talk with my son first?” Mr. Ahn asked Minsoo afterwards. “But expect a call from me later tonight or early in the morning tomorrow about the status of your service with us.”

“Understood, Sir. I’ll be going now.” Minsoo stood and walked to the door when Mr. Ahn called for him again.

“Thank you really, for saving my son. I owe you so much for saving my treasure.” Mr. Ahn walked up to him and offered to show his gratitude by shaking his hand. Minsoo can see the sincerity of the old man’s words through his eyes. He can tell by those eyes that he is indeed a kind old man. A man that doesn’t deserve for his own son’s life to be threatened because of his wealth and social stature. Now he’s angry. Angry at the filthy world of the rich and their filthy ideas of resorting to violence just so they can acquire whatever they desire.

He has seen and understood this while growing up. That’s why he decided to enter the force and be a policeman—to correct this. That was his childhood dream. But as he grew older, he realized that he doesn’t have enough power to do that. He realized that however huge his efforts are, he’s just this tiny dot from the vast society he desire to move.

--------

His father have talked to him about totally scratching the idea of going to the University and just have his professors go to the mansion to give him lessons. That’s easy to do for his father because they own almost half of the stocks at the University. Now, that is one good reason to have to keep his classmates from bullying him. But Niel asked his father for their real stature at the University to be kept a secret. Niel thinks that if they had known, people would start avoiding him. And he doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want to be indifferent. He wanted to be seen as equal. And though he’s been bullied because of that, he also has some good friends which he so believed he wouldn’t have if they had known that he basically owns the school.

The old man went to his room after his doctor left. Even without the attacks of his illness, he is regularly checked by the in-house doctor. Especially now that something has happened while at the University, everyone’s thinking that he might have an attack afterwards. Surprisingly, he is all right except for some little cuts he got from the shattered glass of the window.

His father talked him out to completely leaving school but Niel stood up to his decision to finish it like everybody else his age.

“You can’t lock me up in this house forever. I have to live my life.” He argues when his father introduced the idea. “Look, I know it’s dangerous out there. I know that. ‘Cause if it isn’t, why all these bodyguards, right? But, I wanna live. I know, we both know that I don’t have that long, but I want to live!” Niel said almost breaking into a cry when he thought of his condition.

“No, son. You have to surpass my age.” Mr. Ahn said with a slight chuckle as he pulls his son to an embrace.

After a while, they broke the hug. “So, how do you feel? I’m really surprised you didn’t have a panic attack after what happened at school. Dr. Shin is surprised as well.” Mr. Ahn was definitely worried about his son when Minsoo called. He expected to see his son shaken but was utterly surprised when Niel came out of the car looking all right. “Weren’t you scared?” Worry is etched on the old man’s face.

Niel smiled and said. “I don’t know, Dad. Somehow, I feel safe.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________

A/N: Ano.. I am writing another one while this story is still on-going. I really wish I could keep up with updating both but yeah.. Have a look?? ^_^ Thank you!

Listener