I Love You, Always

I Love You, Always

He was skipping cheerfully out the lobby of their dorms with a smile on his face. It was already 9:00 pm but he had to go down the convenient store a couple of blocks away to buy some of Eunhyuk’s favorite strawberry milk. He paused as he approached a crowded corner where an accident seemed to have happened on the other side of the road. People were crowding forward and sirens were getting louder as emergency units came into view at the end of the street. Resisting the sudden urge to make his way to the front of the crowd, he forced himself to walk away towards the direction of the convenient store.

Thirty minutes later, he was walking back towards their dorms as he berated himself for leaving his mobile phone on Eunhyuk’s bed. As he passed by the corner of the accident, he saw that the crowd had thinned and his eyes widened at the van that seemed to be wrapped around a post; and SUV rammed on its side. With a sudden burst of panic, he ran towards their dorms, eyes already watering.

“No!, Please no! Not him,” he whispered to himself like a mantra.

Before he could go in their building, he felt a hand grab his arm and push him into a van that was already pulling away from the curb without waiting for the door to close. Looking at his companions in question, they all averted their eyes.

“Tell me!” he shouted at them, breath ragged as he tried to deny what his instincts were telling him.

“We don’t know hyung,” Kyuhyun said quietly laying a hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort. They all rode in silence until they got to the hospital. He had the door open, and jumped out not waiting for the van to come to a complete stop. Their manager shouted to him where he was supposed to go, and he flew passed the hospital’s glass doors and straight to where the operating room was. He was about to storm into the operating room when it opened. The gurney following the doctor held his attention. It was as if everything was muffled as he stepped forward and tugged down the white sheet covering the face.

“No,” he whispered staring at the face. “No, please!” he cried hugging the lifeless body of Eunhyuk. He ignored the hands that were pulling him away and hugged Eunhyuk’s body tighter, tears flowing down his face. He can hear someone wailing and sobbing and calling Eunhyuk’s name, only to realize that it was his own voice he was hearing. He shook his head as someone started to pry his arms away from Eunhyuk, “No! I won’t let go!” he cried.

“Sungmin!” Leeteuk’s voice shouted at him. Sungmin glanced up at their leader, who immediately cupped his face. “We have to get him home now Minnie,” Leeteuk said gently.  “You have to let go, you’ll see him later. Ok Min?” Sungmin nodded and threw himself at their leader sobbing hard.

“Hyung..” Sungmin sobbed, “I want him back hyung!” he cried his breath heaving as he vaguely felt someone roll the sleeve of his shirt up.

“Shhh,” Leeteuk whispered as tears started to flow down his face when he nodded to the nurse who injected Sungmin a quick shot of mild sedative on his exposed arm.

“I didn’t even get to tell him that I loved him,” Sungmin whispered brokenly; not registering the pick of the needle.

“He knew Sungmin,”Leeteuk whispered as he felt Sungmin slowly grown limp in his arms. “He knew.”

Sungmin glanced up when he suddenly felt his eyes get heavy. His eyes opened wide, fighting the drowsiness he was feeling, and as he looked past Leeteuk’s shoulder, he smiled sadly. “I love you Hyukkie,” he said softly.

A sudden breeze went past Leeteuk and the rest of the members standing by the hall, and their teary eyes went wide when they heard a very distinct whisper from around them.

“I love you too, Minnie. Always.”

Leeteuk couldn't help but sob out loud as he looked at Sungmin’s happy smile before his eyes fluttered close. Siwon and Donghae was quickly beside him, calmly helping him support Sungmin’s unconscious body despite the uncontrollable tears running down their faces.

``END``