Part I

Shall we bet?

 

Three years ago this had been a new school for all four girls, the girls ended up being classmates, and their teacher decided to group these four classmates together for a project. Since then an unlikely friendship grew between them. Of course they had other friends. People that filled the qualifications of a proper friend better according to their standards, but for some reason these girls always ended up together. They would gravitate back to this circle, this odd quartet of friends.  Even though Suzy's and Krystal's personalities clashed most of the time, or how Jiyoung had to act the part of a mother to bring reason to the group or even how Sohyun was most of the times lost in the girls' conversations. Although they had contrasting personalities they shared something in common something very peculiar, they all loved to bet. They would bet about almost anything the endings on k-dramas, the final score of a game, who would have the best grades in class, and even about boys (who could get a boyfriend the quickest? who could make a boy fall for her charms? who could be in a relationship the longest? You name it). They didn't bet over money though, they would bet for bragging rights. Just the fact that they were right thrilled them. It was probably associated with their competitive natures. Fate sometimes works in mysterious ways when it comes to bringing about friendships.  

 

Jiyoung was reviewing some notes for her next period exam. Suzy was inspecting her newly manicured nails. Krystal on the other hand was taking a nap before class started. All four girls sat on the row farthest away from the entrance and closest to the classroom's  windows. They all sat one after the other, although the fourth desk was empty at the moment. 

Sohyun came running into class and she took the last remaining seat. "Girls I have excellent news. There's a new transfer student in school and he's gonna be in our homeroom class. He's also very handsome!" 

Jiyoung and Suzy turned their attention to Sohyun and Krystal grunted as she had been woken up from her deep slumber.

"Well aren't you girls excited? Aren't you gonna say something?" Sohyun asked as she fidgeted in her seat.

"What do you expect us to say, Sohyun?" Jiyoung questioned not looking up from her notes.

"You said the same thing about that Youngjae boy and he ended up being a childish kid, who's more interested on being the teacher's pet then girls his age," Suzy countered.

Sohyun nervously bit her lower lip. "Well I was right about him being handsome. I just didn't know he was into older women, but this guy he's different. I haven't seen him myself but I heard from a very reliable source that he was very good looking and single. "

"Oh yeah and who's this reliable source?" Asked Krystal still resting her head on her arms.

Sohyun looked around the room trying to gain courage for what she was about to say. "Well don't get mad but it was Sulli."

"What!?!? You still talk to that…that..Sulli girl?" Said Krystal now fully awake. 

"Uh-oh somebody's still upset about that Taemin incident," Suzy chuckled. 

"Suzy don't get me started will ya! Taemin was my boyfriend and that...that obnoxious girl took him away from me," Krystal gave Suzy a menacingly look. 

"Girls this is not the time or the place to be talking about this," said Jiyoung trying to calm the girls down.

Miss. Wang came walking into the room and called for order. Youngjae perked up when he saw her come in. All the students rushed to their seat as fast as they could, even though Fei Wang was a new and young teacher, she was still very strict. The students had learned this the hard way when she almost had half of the class in detention at one point and she held regular meetings with the parents which kept the students under leash. 

Miss. Wang took a deep look around the classroom, once she noticed she had every students full attention she spoke. "Class I have a very important announcement to make. We have a new transfer student that will be joining us for the rest of the school year, I hope you all will make the new student feel welcomed and help him out with any questions he might have."   

Youngjae nodded in agreement at every word the teacher spoke. The girls noticed this and sighed in annoyance, the kid was hopeless. 

Then the teacher told the student to come in. As the boy made his way to the middle of the room to do his introduction, time seemed to slow down. Suzy, Krystal, Jiyoung and Sohyun gasped as they saw the boy walking in, their eyes widened as they followed the boy's every move. 

"Anyong haseyo Minho imida" said the boy as he politely bowed to his classmates.

The girls broke free from their trance and they shared a meaningful look. They grinned as they all knew they were thinking the same thing. The challenge was on. 

 

At lunch time, it was time to put the plan into motion and Suzy was the first to take the initiative. "Ok since I'm the one with most dating experience here I think I should go first." 

"That's not fair. I think the oldest should go first. You've heard of age before beauty, right?" Jiyoung reasoned.

Suzy smirked. "But this is a matter about boys, and well, I would win in that department." 

"Hey, what are you implying? We've all had boyfriends before you know!" Jiyoung's pride was slightly hurt with Suzy's comment. 

"No Jiyoung-ah, let her go first." Suzy was surprised at Krystal words, she would never side with her over an argument. She started seeing Krystal with a different light, maybe after all their fights and arguments they had finally been able to bond. Maybe this was the beginning of a new phase in their friendship, maybe she had been too hard on Krystal before, maybe..

"She does have a lengthy record; Ok Teacyeon, Jang Wooyoung,  Lee Jehoon, Shin Wonho, and…" Krystal tapped her finger on her chin in deep concentration. 

Nope it was just wishful thinking. "You forgot Soohyun, you always forget him," Suzy added.

"Me?" Sohyun almost chocked on her drink.

Jiyoung patted Sohyun's back. "Not you Kim Soohyun-sunbae!"

"Ok, girls wish me luck," said Suzy as she stood up and narrowed her eyes in determination. 

"Try your best," said Jiyoung dismissively. 

"Yeah, break a leg" Krystal snickered. 

"Now why would you tell her that Krystal-ah?" Sohyun asked concerned.  

Krystal rolled her eyes. "Sohyun I don't mean it literally I'm speaking figuratively."

"Oh, yeah right. I knew that. I was just kidding," Sohyun made a nervous laugh.  

Suzy rolled her eyes at her friends silly argument.

Suzy looked around the cafeteria searching for her target once she found it, it was time to strike. Suzy placed a hand on her waist and sashayed her way to Minho's table. All male eyes in the cafeteria were on Suzy except Minho, who was more interested on his lunch box at the moment. Minho was sitting by himself which relieved Suzy this would make matters more easy for her with no interruption.  

"May I take this seat?" Said Suzy as she flipped her hair with her free hand.

Minho only nodded in agreement. Suzy wasn't sure if it was because he was at a lose for words or because his mouth was full of kimchi right now.

Suzy sat on the chair next to Minho. "So your Minho-shi, the new transfer student. Correct?" 

Again Minho's response was nodding his head.

Suzy leaned seductively to Minho. "You know I have been very lonely lately. I think it's time for me to get a new boyfriend, and you would be a perfect candidate."

Minho raised his eyebrows and pointed at himself. "Really me?"

"Hey that's not fair just the other day I asked you if you wanted to be my girlfriend," a voice cut in their conversation. 

Suzy turned to the boy who had rudely interrupted them. "Daehyun get out of here. Kids shouldn't interrupt on grown ups' conversations"

At the adjoining table, Daehyun was leaning on the back of his chair trying to balance it so that he won't fall face forward. ""Who are you calling a kid I'm only a month younger than you?" Daehyun was actually one of her exs's younger brother. Sohyun to be precise her greatest love of all. Every time Suzy would go over to Sohyun's house she had a really weird vibe from Daehyun, his eyes would linger for a longer time than normal on her, he was always being more polite than needed, and he would never leave them alone, he was always there. Suzy always suspected he was the reason why Sohyun had broken up with her in the first place, she suspected he somehow had managed to convince his brother to leave her. Him asking her to date just proved her point and him meddling with her and Minho well this was just another reason to despise him.

Suzy rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Minho. "Anyways like I was saying, do you want to be my boyfriend?"

"Well the thing is that I don't know you at all won't it be odd?" Said Minho rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Nonsense dating is the best way to know someone, you'll see." Suzy tried to persuade him with her lovely eye smile. 

"Dude don't do it she's like a black widow, a praying mantis, a…" but he couldn't finish his sentence as Suzy swiftly kicked his chair back in place. This made Daehyun body make a 90 degree turn and he whimpered at Suzy's quick use of violence. 

"What was your name again?" Minho asked. 

Suzy smiled tentatively. I almost have him, this is a done deal, she thought. "Bae Soo ji, but everybody calls me Suzy."

"Right Suzy-shi. I'm very flattered that you would take interest on me but.." Minho stood up and offered his hand to Suzy. Suzy took it without hesitation, Minho then moved a chair from the table that was next to them. He placed his hands on Suzy's shoulders and carefully made her sit on that chair. "I think this would work out better," said Minho as he finally released his hold on Suzy and she realized she was now sitting next to Daehyun. 

"WHAT!!!????But?!??!" Suzy gasped at the turn of events. 

"Hey thanks dude!" Daehyun looked up at Minho with the brightest of smiles. 

"No problem, you two actually make a really good looking couple." Minho said with a charming smile before taking his leave. 

Suzy was frozen in place, she could hear Daehyun talking to her but she couldn't understand any of the words coming out of his mouth. She slowly got up, Daehyun was about to do the same when she placed a hand on his shoulder and shook her head. Daehyun knew better than to mess with Suzy's temper, and after that little altercation he didn't want to push his luck, so he stayed in place. Suzy made her way back to her friends' table. 

"Well, well, well that didn't go as planned." Krystal tried to suppress a giggle. 

"I just need a minute," said Suzy as she took her chair and brought her hands to her temples. She recalled the scene as it unfolded and tried to determine where it had gone wrong.  

Jiyoung patted her shoulder and gave her a bottle of vitamin water to prevent her blood sugar levels from dropping.  

"Sorry Suzy-ah better luck next time." Sohyun said with a reassuring smile.

 

After school Krystal was still at the basketball court throwing hoops by herself. She decided to stay a little bit longer after practice had ended, this helped Krystal relax and distress. She enjoyed being by herself, she needed time to think and coincidently one of the things she was thinking about had just crossed the gym's door. It was Minho but he wasn't alone, Jongup was with him. Krystal's fingers gripped tighter on the basketball.

Jongup smirked as they both approached her. "Ah! Krystal-ah, long time no see. How you been?"

"Good, although it seems I can't say the same thing about you." Krystal countered. 

"You haven't changed, always a sweetheart," said Jongup with a fake smile. 

Krystal was all smiles when she turned to the boy next to Jongup, "But Minho-shi what are you doing with him?"

Before Minho could respond Jongup took a step closer to Krystal. "I can answer that Minho, well I'm trying to recruit Minho into our basketball team."

"Well Minho-shi, I would suggest you run as fast as you can right now. His team hasn't won a game in how many games has it been. I have already lost count." Krystal teased.

Jongup was evidently flustered by Krystal's comment. "Our team is just going through a low tide but we'll get out of it you'll see."

"Right, whatever you say. Minho-shi what about playing a one on one?" Asked Krystal as she noticed she had been able to harm Jongup's ego. 

"I just couldn't, I'm really bad at sports, but why don't you two play? I'll keep score." Minho offered as he made his way to the bleachers and assumed the role of spectator. 

"What do you say Krystal or are you too scared to play against me? I am MVP of the team, after all." Jongup snickered. 

"Me scared of you? In your dreams. Bring it on," Krystal glared at him. Jongup and Krystal had a rocky past together. Jongup had been a fling she had to try and get over Taemin. Also Jongup happened to be one of Taemin's close friends. It was a proven mistake they both were too competitive and their relationship had doomed from the start. 

Krystal threw the ball to Jongup with a little extra force but he caught it on time before it could do any damage. "Ladies first," said Krystal as she hunched over and took a defensive pose.

Jongup muttered something under his breath and gave her an evil grin as he started bouncing the basketball. From one moment to the other he charged towards the opposing basket at full speed and scored. Minho gasped in amazement, Krystal wasn't impressed. She had been to several of his games before when they were still a couple and she knew of his skill but she also knew that she was a better player than him. She smirked as she intercepted his next attempt to score. Krystal did a turnaround side step which almost made Jongup lose his balanced and ran after her but was too late, Krystal had already scored. 

Minho stood up and clapped for her, "Daebak!"     

Krystal made a curtsy. 

45 minutes had already passed and both Jongup and Krystal were panting for air as beads of sweat rolled down their faces. They stood facing each other in the middle of the basketball court, Krystal had the ball. The echo of the ball could be hear as it bounced from the floor to Krystal's hand and back to the floor and to her other hand. Krystal had already lost a lot of precious time that she could be spending with Minho because of Jongup. She needed to do something quick and decisive. She stopped dribbling the ball and took some long strides forward, as Jongup reacted to her sudden moves. Now that both of them were closer to the basket Krystal made a huge leap forward while securing the ball on both hands. She felt her right elbow hit something hard but she dismissed it as she noticed she was getting closer to the basket. She released her grip on the ball and saw as it found its way into the hoop, she had scored, broken the tie and won the match. 

"Yes I won, take that Jongup!" chanted Krystal as she celebrated her victory. Krystal then noticed the dead silence in the basketball court, she turned to look at Minho in the bleachers but he wasn't there. She then turned to Jongup's direction and saw him on the floor holding his hand over his left eye, Minho was crouched over Jongup asking him if he was alright. Apparently when Krystal was jumping her elbow had connected with Jongup's face. His face was now red and it was starting to get swollen. Minho helped Jongup up his feet and Jongup thanked him for his help.

"No problem, man some people just take games too seriously." Said Minho as he offered his shoulder to Jongup, and they both left the gym.  

 

There was silence  between the girls as Krystal finished retelling her story. Suzy raised her hand and said, "Two words: anger management."

Krystal threw a pillow towards Suzy direction. "Ya!! What was I supposed to do? It's not my fault Jongup's a wimpy kid. He just ruined everything, I lost my chance with Minho because of him." 

"What!! I'm just saying the truth," said Suzy as she now held onto the pillow that had almost hit her face.

Krystal left the comfort of her bed and joined her friends on the floor as they sat around a huge bowl of popcorn. She grabbed a handful and shoved it into .

"Krystal-ah, you are gonna choke on those popcorn." Jiyoung scornfully shook her head at Krystal. 

Krystal mumbled something incoherent as she chewed the popcorn.

"I'm starting to feel the pressure. I don't think I'm gonna be able to do this." Sohyun slumped her shoulders.  

"Sohyun-ah, don't be so hard on yourself you might just be his style," said Jiyoung as she placed an encouraging hand over hers. 

"Yeah, that's if he's into air headed beauties," added Suzy. 

"Ya!!!" said Sohyun as she retaliated by throwing some popcorn at Suzy. Krystal and Jiyoung joined in, as they all laughed and battled each other. 

 

At the library Jiyoung was happily studying for a chemistry test. Jiyoung loved the library. Such a quiet and peaceful place, the smell of old books in the air, the lack of students around sight, this was paradise to her. She sat at a table far from the entrance and close to the rows and rows of bookshelves. She stretched her arms up and back taken in renewed energy, she tilted her head back and she almost lost balance when she saw who was standing behind her. 

"Himchan what are you doing here?" she tried to contain herself from shouting. 

Himchan took the seat next her. "What can't I also come to the library and read books?"

"Do you even know how to do that?" Jiyoung scoffed. 

"Haha, very funny Jiyoung-ah," said Himchan as he playfully flicked Jiyoung's forehead.  

Himchan and Jiyoung had been friends since, well forever. They were neighbors and they would hang out at each other house when they were younger. That however changed when Himchan confessed his love for Jiyoung, she liked him but more as a brotherly love than romantic attraction. That had been five years ago and since then their relationship had never been the same after that. They bickered at each other every time they ran into each other, and there was always a prevalent tension between the two. That's why Jiyoung avoided Himchan as much as possible.

After a few minutes of silence, Jiyoung placed her book down and turned to him again. "Himchan why are you really here?"

"I am not here for you if that's what your thinking," said Himchan as he tsked at her.  

Jiyoung raised an eyebrow. "Really? Then answer my question."

"I'm waiting for my tutor, were supposed to meet here," said matter-of-factly. 

Himchan wasn't the brightest of students, he was average at most. Back in the day Jiyoung and Himchan would spend long evenings studying together, but that was a long time ago and Jiyoung volunteering to do that now would just be awkward.

"Oh I see," simply answered Jiyoung. 

"Yeah…oh look he's here," said Himchan pointing to the direction of the library's entrance.  

Jiyoung turned to see where Himchan was pointing, and to her surprise Minho was walking over to their table.

Jiyoung gasped and quickly turned to Himchan. "Why didn't you tell me your tutor was Minho-shi?"

Himchan shrugged his shoulders. "Why does it matter?"

"Himchan I'm gonna ask you a huge favor, please just follow along with whatever I say like when we were children." Jiyoung said desperately. 

"What? Why?" Himchan was confused at Jiyoung's sudden request. 

"Please Himchan just this once." Jiyoung put her hands together in a pleading manner. 

"Ok but you are gonna owe me big time." Himchan said as Jiyoung muttered the words 'thank you' right before Minho arrived.

"Himchan ready to study." Said Minho.

"Actually Himchan was just about to leave right Himchan? Something came up," said Jiyoung as she eyed Himchan and tilted her head towards the exit.   

"Yeah right…that thing that I have to do..I better hurry..you two have fun." Himchan got up and left walking in jerky movements.

Minho dropped his shoulders and sighed. "Well that's such a shame and I was looking forward to discussing chemical compositions and properties. Oh well, I should be leave too then."

"Minho-shi actually I'm also studying for a chemistry test, and I'm having a hard time understanding some of this equations. Do you think? Would it be too much to ask you to help me out?" Asked Jiyoung tilting her head and batting her eyelashes.  

"No of course not. I'll help you out. Let's see, what chapters are you on?" Minho took a seat and promptly started explaining some of the equations. 

Jiyoung leaned her body closer to Minho's, their shoulder's were brushing against each other and Jiyoung could smell Minho's cologne. Jiyoung got lost in Minho's words, even though she knew most of the information he was covering she feigned ignorance. An hour or so later, Jiyoung decided to be more forward in her seduction scheme. 

"Wow you make this seem so easy," said Jiyoung in a breathy voice. 

"They are simple concepts, it's just a matter of memorizing them." Said Minho looking up from his notes, he noticed the clock on the wall. "Oh look at the time, I should be going."

"Wait! Minho-shi, how could I ever repay you for your help?" Asked Jiyoung reaching her hand to the already retreating Minho. 

"No problem, I actually tutor as a part-time job. Here's my card." Minho flashed his signature smile before leaving.

 

"Hahaha, I can't believe it! You played the bimbo role? That's so unlike you," said Krystal as she held onto Suzy as they both erupted in laughter.  

"Yeah, yeah laugh all you like," Jiyoung quickened her pace as they walked through the hallway. 

Sohyun caught up to her. "Wait didn't you get his number though? He gave you his card after all."

Jiyoung stopped in place. "It's useless I already tried it, the number on it is the agency he works for."

"No but seriously, that's a shame then" said Suzy more composed after hers and Krystal's giggle attack. The bell rang and the girls dispersed to their own classes.