Bowl of Soup

Suddenly Perplexed (Tawaran Trilogy #2)

03/27/13


            Such an annoying person! Yoona thought while she was practicing. Yesterday, Taecyeon went up to her and basically told her to stop practicing. Why does he even care?! He has no right to tell me what to do!

            A knock came from her door. She stopped playing. “Come in.”

            Speak of the devil. It was Taecyeon who came into her practice room, carrying a tray.

            She glared at him. “What are you doing here? Are you even allowed to be here?”

            Smiling simply, Taecyeon replied, “I’m here to bring you some soup. Don’t worry. I have permission from the queen to be here, and she personally took a sip of the soup to test for poison."

            Unknowingly, her glare softened. “And the queen didn’t die?”

            “Only from its delicious taste,” Taecyeon’s smile grew wider.

            Yoona smiled and shook her head at the goofy man. Surprising herself, she let him take a seat in her room after he set the tray down on the table. For some reason, Taecyeon felt different from other men. She couldn’t pinpoint what it was, but she was okay with being alone with him.

            Catching herself, she shook away the thought. It’s probably only because he’s as harmless as a turtle.

            A harmless turtle that towered over her.

             “Can I hear you play?” the giant turtle asked with hopeful eyes.

            Yoona hesitated.

            “Come on, it’s good to practice with an audience.”

            “… Sure,” she adjusted her seat and started playing.

            :::::::

            After that, Taecyeon visited her every day with a bowl of soup.

            He would always walk in and say, “Drinking the soup will increase your stamina and health!”

            And when he left, he’d tell her, “Don’t practice for too long or sleep too late!”

            While she would drink the soup to make Taecyeon go away, Yoona would not follow his advice second advice. There was too much to prepare for and too little time.

            Still, even though it pained her to admit it, she enjoyed Taecyeon’s presence. It’s probably because no one besides Taecyeon takes the time to visit me. Besides, he’s interesting. He’s like a child trapped in a man’s body. And he doesn’t do anything to me.

            Once, Taecyeon rushed over to Yoona’s room, almost spilling his bowl of soup, just to show her a small leaf.

            -------------------------------------------------------------------

            After hastily setting the soup on the table, he knelt down and showed her the small leaf in his hands. “Look Yoona! I found this in the garden!”

            “It’s… a leaf,” she was unimpressed.

            “Not just any leaf!” he shouted, appalled. “It’s a four-leaf clover!”

            “What’s that?”

            Taecyeon looked at her incredulously. “You don’t know? It’s known to give you good luck!”

            “Oh, just some superstitious thing?”

             “It’s not JUST some superstitious thing! These are hard to find!” His smile widened. “It’s the first one I’ve found. Ever!”

            “Yeah, in your twenty-four years of life, you’ve found only one. That’s a big surprise,” she rolled her eyes.

            -------------------------------------------------------------------

            Thinking back on that day, Yoona smiled. It would be nice to marry someone so simple and with so little worries.

            What am I thinking?! She gasped and shook her head. Don’t even think about it, Yoona. It wouldn’t be nice to marry anyone. Even a man who acts like a child. All men are the same deep down.