Just Like Magic

Just Like Magic

 

“Narsha…” Jea began. “Narsha you’re doing it again.”

“Wha…? Oh! Sorry Unnie!” Narsha straightened up from her previous position of leaning into the palms of her hand, placing them in her lap.

Jea rolled her eyes. “You’ve got it bad.” She held out the ‘a’ in ‘bad’ to make her point.

“I know. I can’t help it.” Narsha said with a sigh. “Ever since Abracadabra, it’s been like this. What am I supposed to do? She’d never return my feelings.”

Jea leaned back in her chair. “Don’t be so sure. You never know what’s going on in her head.”

“Really?” Narsha jumped to the edge of her seat. “You think she does? Or do you know for sure?” She then bit her lip in a failed attempt to hide the smile that was forming.

“I don’t know, but you want to know how you can find out?” Narsha nodded ecstatically. “Ask her.”

“Are you crazy, unnie?! I can’t just ask her that!”

“Ask who what?” Ga-In’s voice sounded behind Narsha, who jumped about ten feet in the air.

“Uh… n-n-nothing Ga-In.”

“Don’t beat around the bush, hon. This is your chance.” A smug smile found its way to Jea’s lips. Narsha snarled silently, a signal that she would get her revenge later. “I’d better go see what Miryo is up to. I haven’t seen her since lunch. Good luck!” She stood and blew a kiss before leaving the room.

Ga-In lifted a section of Narsha’s hair with her fingers and combed through it as she rounded the table to take Jea’s spot at the table they were sitting at. Narsha’s heart beat fast at the touch, and with the silence that had fallen upon the room, she was sure the younger could hear it. “What was she talking about Nari-unnie?”

“Nothing. She wasn’t talking about anything. It’s like she was speaking gibberish or something.” Narsha stammered. Ga-In leaned into the back of the chair and rested her arm over the top, giving her friend ‘the look’. Narsha knew that look – it was the ‘do you think I was born yesterday’ look, otherwise known as the ‘you best tell me the truth or I’ll beat it out of you’ look. “O-okay fine. She was… well… She was telling me to confess to the person I like, but I’m afraid they won’t like me back.”

“I’m sure they will unnie! You’re beautiful, and talented, and overall an amazing person.”

A blush crept to Narsha’s cheeks. “In that case… I like you.”

Ga-In blinked. Narsha’s heart stopped. “What?”

“Y-you heard me. I like you, Ga-In.”

A smile spread on the younger’s face. Narsha hoped with all her might that a “You’ve got to be kidding me” wasn’t on its way. Instead, she received, “Really unnie? You like me? That’s such a relief!”

“Huh?”

“I was too shy to confess to you, not thinking you’d feel the same way and all, so you have no idea how relieved I am that you said it first!”

“I told you!” Jea jumped back in the room, pointing at the couple and followed by a groggy Miryo (who had apparently decided to take a nap after lunch).

“Hey! Unnie! Go away!” Narsha whined.

Jea just winked. “It’s just like magic, isn’t it Miryo?”

“Hmm? Oh, magic, yeah.” She shuffled back out of the room, taking Jea’s hand as she did. Even half asleep, she knew when two people wanted to be left alone.

As she was being dragged from the room, Jea pointed at the pair again and whispered, “Abracadabra~”