Back

Finding The Star

What do I do now?

Where do I go?

From the start of the quest, Sungyeol had not felt this sort of helplessness. Every time, he had thought of an alternate way and worked for it. But right now, he could see no way. There was no silver lining, no light at the end of the tunnel.

He felt hopelessly lost.

He was here, in the middle of the forest, all alone – trying to change the fate of the world.

I’m not cut out for this quest, I’m just a kid.

“Hey are you okay kid?”

The man was still standing in front of him, looking confused.

“I – I -”

Sungyeol didn’t know what to say. He didn’t even know how he felt, or what he should feel.

I’m lost.

I lost.

He wondered why the Sacred Secrets had chosen him. There were so many other worthy mystic cosmologists out there, why had he been burdened with such a hopeless quest, the penalty of which was too extreme?

What did I do wrong?

“If you want to summon Inspirit, you can go to a spell-caster you know.” The man was speaking kindly. Apparently, Sungyeol looked so disheveled that he warranted compassion.

“No caster would help me,” he mumbled.

No caster would want to interfere with the quest.

“Well looks like you’re in a tight spot here. I’d love to hang around and help but I’m on my own mission. I have to find that brat.” The man shot him a kind smile. “Look, things will look up okay? Don’t fret. Life is not easy - take it from a star.”

He winked at him and suddenly, Sungyeol was reminded of Sungjong, who had run away with the Sacred Secrets.

Was Sungjong trying to fulfill the quest? Did he want the glory?

At this point, Sungyeol didn’t mind if he didn’t get the glory. He just wanted the world to be saved.

I just want to be alive, with Woohyun and my family. I just want my old life back.

“Alright, I’m taking my leave now,” the man said. He then looked at Sungyeol uneasily. “Brace yourself kid, you might feel a blow or something. And close your eyes.”

Sungyeol barely had the time to close his eyes when he suddenly felt a strong gust of wind tugging at him. The wind was whistling in his ears and he felt as if someone was punching him heavily in the gut.

He d around for a tree or branch to hold onto but he could find nothing. He was being carried away by a storm and he couldn’t see anything. He was plunged into a black hole and he moved his arms wildly, hoping to catch onto something solid.

Suddenly, he caught something rough, and with all his might he held onto it with both hands, his legs dangling beneath him.

Stop this, please.

The storm stopped as abruptly as it had started. When he had caught his breath, he opened his eyes and a horrible sight met him. He was dangling from the edge of a deep ditch that ran who knew how deep below him. He was barely hanging onto some rocks on the edge of the steep wall of the ditch. It was dark all around him and the faint moonlight wasn’t enough for him to try and climb up. One false move could bring him to his death.

Someone help.

He knew there was no point in screaming. No one was in the vicinity and even if there was someone, his dry throat wouldn’t be able to utter a cry.

So instead, he closed his eyes and tried to reconnect with his soul.

He needed enhanced sense of vision so that he could climb up this ditch.

But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t concentrate. The thought of falling to his death terrified him too much.

I can’t embrace death like this.

His hands were aching and he knew he wouldn’t be able to hold on for much longer.

This is it.

The moment his hands gave out, he felt another hand gripping his, fingers clutching his. He wasn’t sure if he was hallucinating but he heard a familiar voice.

“Sungyeol – Yeol are you okay?”

He opened his eyes slowly. The image in front of him overwhelmed his brain – he couldn’t believe it.

“Woohyun?”

“Yeollie, I’m going to pull you up okay? Don’t be afraid.”

“Woohyun, are you real? Or am I hallucinating?”

Woohyun smiled slightly.

“Nah, you’re not that crazy yet.”

He felt his body being heaved up and he clutched onto Woohyun strongly. The last tug sent Woohyun falling backwards and Sungyeol falling on top of him.

“Ouch,” they both said, rubbing their foreheads lightly.

Sungyeol sat up, and looked down at Woohyun.

“You came back for me?”

“It wasn’t easy,” he grumbled. “I’m sorry.”

“No I’m sorry.”

Woohyun sat up too and took Sungyeol’s hand.

“I’ll never leave you again, I promise. I don’t know what got into me…”

“It’s okay, I should’ve been honest with you, I didn’t want to scare you…”

His friend looked at him gravely.

“What do you mean?”

“Woohyun, the quest…if the quester cannot fulfill the quest there is a penalty.”

Woohyun nodded slowly, the words sinking in.

“And my penalty – the penalty of this quest is…”

His voice was choked. How could he tell Woohyun now that if they finished the quest, none of their dreams would be fulfilled?

In fact, they would never get to back to their lives again. Nothing would be the same.

He felt so overwhelmingly guilty.

It’s all my fault…

“Yes?” Woohyun prompted.

Sungyeol uttered the words with great difficulty.

“If we can’t complete the quest, a comet will crash into earth, it will be the end of the world.”