Topaz

The Quest [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

Blood was splattered everywhere.

There was blood on the couch, on the kitchen table, on the walls and pools of blood on the floor. Bloody handprints were plastered on the walls. It was all too much for the eyes of one little boy who had witnessed it all. Tears streamed down his milky white cheeks, cutting twin rivers down his small face. Two critically injured bodies were lying in front of him. He didn’t even dare to touch their horrifyingly fragile bodies, afraid they would break at his touch like glass figurines.

The little boy went towards the woman. He looked at her and his tears fell in a swift rain. She was dead. He stuck his head into her chest to feel the warmness of a mother’s lovely hug.

One of the bodies started to move slightly. He had managed to open his tired eyes to look upon his precious child, who was shivering in fear. The child slowly stretched his injured arm and patted his son’s head in attempt to soothe him. The child turned around in shock to see his father still alive. With a small smile, the man slowly shifted his hand into his pocket. As he removed his hand from his pocket, two objects laid on his palm.

It was a beautifully carved little octagon-shaped box and a necklace that had a key hanging on it. He slowly reached for his son’s little hands and gently placed them on his two child-like palms. The child looked at the objects on his palm, confused at what the reason for this was. The man gently wiped the child’s dried up tears and gazed upon his face.

“Father, what is this?” the child squeaked in that high-pitched seven year old voice of his.

“Just take it, Sungjong,” the man replied, his voice shaky.

Suddenly, they heard a loud crash from afar. Heavy ootsteps were thundering closer and closer towards them.

“Run!” the man whispered to his son, his eyes full of worry and care. Sungjong still sat there, paralyzed.  He was frozen in place like a stone statue, not wanting to leave his injured father.

Two men in black clothing and hunting gear burst into the room. One of the men, who seemed to be the leader, rushed towards the poor child’s father.

“Where is the gem, Mr. Lee?!” the leader demanded as he lifted Mr. Lee’s almost lifeless body by the collar. The leader glared in his eyes, trying to demand for an answer.

Just then, the little boy had caught the eye of the other man. The man narrowed his eyes to get a better look at what he was holding in his hands.

A box and a necklace.

He nudged the leader and gestured towards the little boy.

Sungjong was terrified as they dropped his father and started to slowly approach him, overshadowing him so vastly he could only shrink even more into himself, become even tinier.

“So, you're the other Lee they were talking about,” the leader started saying as he crept closer and closer to him, voice slick and persuasive. “Look kid, just hand us the box and we’ll let you and your parents free.”

I’ll kill you and your parents after I get that box, was all Sungjong heard as he read the man's mind. He became even more petrified of the man, feeling the fear ricochet mercilessly through his body.

“Run, Sungjong! Run!” his father shouted with all the strength he had left. He wouln't be able to stand seeing his son get caught by "the beasts", as he called them. He quickly held tightly onto the leader’s leg in what was, quite literally, a death grip.

Sungjong looked at his bloody, injured father, getting kicked in his stomach by the man. He shifted his eyes to look at the other man who was about to catch him. Although, deep in his tiny little heart, he knew that leaving his father to be killed was unbearable, he also knew that he had to run away.

He had to protect the box.

So he hastily dashed out of the house as quickly as his small legs could take him, barely escaping the man’s attempt to capture him. He scampered away as fast as he could into the forest. Pictures of his father being killed flashed one by one in his mind.

A single tear slid down cheek.

The another tear, and another.

They wouldn't stop.

~¤~

When Lee Sungjong woke up, reality had returned and shoved his nightmares away. At least for the time being.

He picked himself up from the lush, green grass and looked up toward a sky that had started to fade into a brilliant blue. Dawn had broken from the dark night as the brilliant sun was rising, driving darkness back into the very corners of the world. For some reason, he wished that he could fade away along with it.

Sungjong slid his hand into his pocket, removing an octagon-shaped box.

After twelve years of possessing the box, it was never opened. Even though he was severely tempted at times, he would flip open the box and stare at the message engraved on the bottom of the box that also became engraved in his heart.

Thou shall not open this box until time has passed and thou shall be an adult.

For the people in the Sunland, anyone who was 19 years old was considered as an adult.

“I’m turning 19 today.” Sungjong whispered softly to himself, a promise that briefly fluttered on transparent December wings.

But, like most promises, it blew away on the cold, merciless wind.

Flinching slightly, he swiftly glanced behind him to see a black figure dashing towards him.  He narrowed his eyes to get a clearer view, before they widened in shock when he spotted a long katana blade, glinting harshly in the new sunrise.

The man was running towards him with his katana raised into the air, footsteps like silent owl wings across the ground. Sungjong struggled to dodge ever swing of his blade, falling back as the tip slashed his cheek. Reaching up, he realized it drew blood at the same time he felt something missing from his pocket.

And that was when he saw it.

A miniature ruby hung from the man's neck, the exact shade of the blood trickling down his own face.

Quickly averting his eyes, he paused to search for the box, eyes falling on it lying on the ground with the man going after it.

The man's target is the box. Not me. No, it never was me to begin with. Never me, never mother, never father either. It was always the box.

Sprinting towards it with long legs, he snatched it up and dashed into the deep forest, tucking himself away under his usual hiding place. The gigantic, hollow tree had hid him well all those years. Hopefully it wouldn't fail him now.

Holding his breath, he strained all his senses to make sure the man didn't know he was there. Heavy footsteps and panting appeared as the man headed closer to the tree, leaves crunching loudly underneath his steps. Sungjong’s heart was pounding uncontrollably in his chest as beads of perspiration formed on his forehead.

Then the shadow of the man disappeared as he stepped away, and a sense of relief overwhelmed his heart. Sungjong slowly lifted his hand to his eyes, a small breath of overwhelming reassurance left his lips. A slip of paper slipped out, revealing words in careful, faded script.

The only way to be free is to win.

Sungjong furrowed his brows in confusion. Through his natural curiosity, he took the key and carefully unlocked the box. After the sound of a click, he opened the cover upwards and in it were two wooden flaps. He opened the flaps and on each side of the box were four oval mirrors. Around the middle mirror were eight small holes.

A scroll was lying on the base of the box. Sungjong picked it up and started to undo the knot. He unveiled the scroll and read the description that was printed on it.

My dearest son,

I know I have told you many things about my life, but I have kept this big secret from you in fear of you safety. I know that you’re already 19 when you’re reading this. I sincerely hope that you’ll accept this just the way it is.

I have been running for all my life. I was forcefully chosen to participate in this quest. The quest was to find eight gems. Each of the gems was possessed by eight of the chosen ones who were also chosen to participate, including me.

I have the topaz with me and since by the time you’ll read this, I will be gone, I’m giving the topaz to you. You must handle it with extra care as it is very fragile. You must beware my dearest son, as there are hunters to hunt you down and the other participants. They were not chosen to participate in this quest, but they want the ultimate goal, an enchanted mirror that had power that none of us knew.

I think it’s best for me to end my letter here. Search in my room and you’ll find my journal which will contain my research notes and the topaz. Remember, the only way to be free is to win.

Love,

Your father

Sungjong’s eyes reached the end of the letter. His feelings were all mixed up. He shifted his eyes back to the last sentence. A feeling of uneasiness filled his heart. There was no way that he was going to join this quest. It was too much of a danger for him.

But since it was his father’s wish, he had to do it. He had no other choice. He rolled the scroll back into its original shape and tucked it into his pocket.

~¤~

The drawer was dragged out. Inside it was a black envelope. Sungjong had gone into his father’s room and did some searching. He picked up the envelope and stared at it before he tore the end of the envelope. The contents of the envelope were all put on the desk.

A small journal and a gem were arranged on the desk. Sungjong picked up the gem and knew that it was the yellow topaz his father was talking about. He picked the journal up with his other hand and flipped its pages with his thumb. The topaz was laid back onto the desk carefully.

Sungjong continued to flip through the pages. A picture had caught his eye. It was a beautifully drawn gold mirror. It was oval and had a handle to hold onto. The frame of the mirror was carved with vines and flowers. Its handle had a big ruby at the end of it. Seven other gems were lined up above it.

“So, this is the enchanted mirror.” He said as he read the description of it. He turned the page and it revealed the holders of the gems and their descendants.  A note was written at the end of the page. After the descendants of the keeper of the gems turn 19, the gems will be given to them. This will continue until the quest ends. Sungjong furrowed his brows as he looked at the birth years of the descendants.

“They are all 19 and above this year,” he said, “That means, they are the keepers of the gems and are participating in this quest.” He concluded as he read the names.

Kim Sunggyu had the diamond, Nam Woohyun had the ruby, Jang Dongwoo had the Fuschia, Lee Hoya had the amethyst, Lee Sungyeol had the Emerald, Kim Myungsoo had the Sapphire and Yang Yosoeb had the jade.

Sungjong flipped the pages after constantly reading the description along with the pictures and stopped at the last page that was inked with words. It was a note from his father. It said that he had to attend the Sun Academy, which was an elite fighting academy, to sharpen his fighting skills. It was also said that if a keeper of the gem surrenders before he is killed or wants to give the gem to the other keeper, it is acceptable.

Sungjong thought about it before he closed the book and sat on the chair. Should he join the quest? If he doesn’t, he would be killed and his father’s wishes would not be granted and his generation’s freedom would be contained. He knew he had to do the right thing.


How's the first chapter? Comment andt subscribe! ^^