Interview Part 2

Making it Work

I fidgeted in my seat nervously. I'd forgotten the feeling of being on tv. The reporter gave me a sad smile like she was pitying me and I just smiled back. Pity is the last thing any of us need, but I appreciated her being respectful.

After the formal greetings we got straight to business.

"What can you tell me about that night?"

Here goes nothing....

*Flashback*
"HYUUUNG!!! Pass me my phone!!!" Ren whined over the music. He was wedged between Minhyun and Aron, but was leaning towards the front. 

"Alright, now hush and sit down...!" I passed it back. "And what did I tell you about your freaking seatbelt?! Put it on dammit!!!"

"Shut the hell up!"

"REN. WATCH YOUR MOUTH." Baekho snapped from the driver's seat. "Don't even TRY talking to your hyung like that."

"Maknae's getting a mouth on him these days...." I muttered. 

Baekho shrugged. "Meh. He's just cranky. Busy schedule must be stressing him out-"

"I CAN HEAR YOU TWO!!!" Ren yelled.

"See what I mean?!" Everyone in the car busted out laughing. Well, except for Ren of course. His cheeks were turning red and he looked about ready to cry.

"WOULD YOU ING IDIOTS JUST-"

He was cut off by a sharp jolt to the car. 

 

"Here's where it starts to get blurry for me...." I mumbled.

"Take your time." A stage hand gave me a bottle of water, and I continued.

 

There was a loud bang, and Ren's frail body flew right past and crashed through the front window. I felt the car skid forward until it lost momentum; then I out....

I came to with a pounding headache. I could tell I was still in the car, but I couldn't move. How long had we been there? Five minutes, five hours...? I'd lost all track of time.

I started groping around me with my free hand until I felt someone else.

"Baekho...."

"My eyes...." he hissed. "I can't open them...."

I looked at him. He was covered head to toe with windshield glass, and had bleeding cuts all over. "Don't worry, buddy.... We're gonna get through this...."

"Th-the others...."

The others. They had to have still been in the back. I couldn't turn around; my eyes wandered to the rearview mirror above. Another pair of eyes were already bulging back at me.

"Aron...."

He was clutching his throat while gasping for air. Blood was oozing from his neck between his fingers. His lips were moving, but no voice was coming out; just a disgusting, half-choking half-wheezing sound I won't ever forget....

"Aron.... It's okay, Aron.... It'll be alright. Just stay still, alright? Try to relax as much as you can...." I could see tears dripping from the corners of his eyes. I looked over to where Minhyun was seated. His head was smashed against the cracked side window. He wasn't awake, but I could see ragged breaths shaking his whole body. He was alive.

Aron, Minhyun, Baekho.... I counted.

REN.

I looked straight ahead of me and saw his mangled frame on the pavement. He was a good 5 feet in front of us, but I could make out white shards of bone jutting from his head.

"Ren...." I called. "Ren.... Ren....REN...!!!"

I out again.

 

The interviewer lady looked disturbed, not nodded for me to keep going.

"Well, next time I woke up, I was in the hospital. Baekho was to my left and Aron to my right. Manager Hyung was at the foot of our beds."

 

"JR!!!" Manager Hyung shouted. I looked around. I tried to sit myself up, but Hyung held me down gently by my shoulders. I was groggy and in pain, and I could sense that drugs had been pumped into my system.

"How.... How is everyone...?"

"Getting better. How do you feel?"

"Exhausted.... Am I the first one to wake up?"

"The third, actually. It's been a few days. You took a pretty big blow to the head, but the doctors say you'll be okay."

"Who else?"

"Baekho and Aron.... Baekho's taking a nap, so speak a little more softly. Aron's right over here."

Hyung pointed across the room, and I saw Aron grinning at me. His neck and head were covered in bandages, but he looked ridiculously happy. I smiled back.

"But.... But where's Ren, and Minhyun?" Aron's smile dropped and he and Hyung exchanged looks.

"He.... They're...." Hyung trailed off. "They're in a different ward. Look, there's a lot we need to talk about. Aron, why don't you come over here?"

Aron swung his body over the side of the bed, and I gasped. I only saw one leg.

"Like I said, a lot we need to talk about...."

Aron grabbed a crutch nearby and hobbled over to me. He flopped down at my side and snuggled in close. I instinctively put my hand on the stitched-up stump of his right thigh. He simply grabbed my hand and smiled warmly at me.

Manager-Hyung took a deep breath. "You see, JR...."

 

I looked up at the interviewer, who was on the verge of tears.

"Hyung told me what happened to everyone. Huge chunks of glass from the window had gotten into Baekho's eyes; he's completely blind.... Aron's throat was slit. It really messed up his vocal chords, and now he can't talk. But he lost so much blood that night, we're just happy he's alive. Also, he rammed into the seat in front of him so hard that his leg was crushed. The wound plus all the blood he lost.... The doctors' only choice was to amputate. But again, he's here and he's alive."

There was silence.

"And the other two? Ren and Minhyun?"

"They.... They were still in a coma when I woke up. I'd been in one too, but nothing like theirs.... Minhyun was stuck in his coma for another week; Ren, another month. And when they finally did come to, they were still...not 'okay', I guess....

"Like I said, Minnie came first. He was kicking and flailing his arms, but he was too weak to sit or stand. He wasn't talking, but he was laughing alot and you could tell how happy he was to see us. He was always babbling and trying to grab at us. That was a good sign; it meant he was still there and that he remembered us. Eventually he started talking and walking again. He needs lots of different therapies, and he's still behind mentally, but now you can't really tell anything's wrong with him just by looking. He's a pretty happy guy. But Ren.... Ren was...different. He could move and walk around, but you could tell that part of him was missing.... He was so scared, but we didn't know why. He always had this lost, lonely kind of look on his face. He started screaming and lashing out. He'd hit or bite or scratch, and I don't think he even realized what he was doing. Still, whenever he was done with one of his outbursts, he'd cuddle up with me or the guys, like he was trying to apologize. He remebers us.... He loves us...." I shrugged my shoulders.

The woman in front of me gave a comforting smile. "We need to go to commercial. Later, we'll hear about life for the boys after the hospital, and how they're doing these days. Stay with us." 

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Loooong wait, but long chapter! I'm on Spring Break, and I'm hoping to have an ending to this by the end of vacation. <3