Come Here, Look At Venus

The Frozen Soul's Fire

*NOT MY PICTURE*

Jinyoung:
            I was laying on the ground under the shade of Pyo. The little peculiar bird chirped and landed on my stomach. I smiled and softly petted the fragile thing. Then, he flew up on the top of the high fence next to Pyo and told me to follow him. As I walked toward the him I felt my shoulder blades start to move underneath my skin. They began to rip through the skin in my back. I screamed in pain placed my hands over my shoulder blades, it felt like something was growing. I fell to my knees and screamed more. The excruciating pain rushed all over my body. I felt my shoulder blades again but what used to be there was something different. I glanced behind me and there they were, my wings. They unfolded heavenly and made the sound of a million birds flapping their wings at the same time. The white wings were pure and beautiful. Shining white feathers illuminated the air around me.
            The little brown bird began to fly up into the sky and I followed him. The rays of the sun danced around me as I followed the little bird through the clouds. He landed on a tree in the sky and chirped. It was missing all of its left side, it reminded me of Pyo. But, another surprise awaited me as I flew closer to Pyo. From behind his trunk a man stepped into sight. His left arm was missing and his hair was white. The wrinkles on his face only told stories of happiness. It was Grandpa Pyo. He smiled and waved at me before I flew right into him and embraced him. Tears flew from my eyes and I held his hand. I tried to speak but no words wanted to escape from my mouth. He patted my head, pointed at the sky and said "Look at Venus". And so I looked up at where he was pointing and saw Venus with all her beauty. I looked back at him and then he said "Don't worry about me. I'll be okay. You're not ready to be here. Go on back home." He smiled as he let go of my hand. I became paralyzed as I fell from the sky. And there I was, just falling, falling, and falling.
            I woke up and found myself in a tiny hospital room. Bandages were wrapped around my left arm. An IV and a packet of blood was hooked up to my arm. I looked around the lifeless room. Always alone. I'm always alone. I looked at the curtains that covered the window. I sat up and slowly placed my feet on the cold floor. I dragged my IV hanger along with me as I feebly took small steps to the curtain. It felt painful to walk for some reason. I pulled the yellow curtain open and looked up at the night sky. There she was... Venus. I reached my hand out to her. "Pyo..." I softly said. I pressed my right hand against the window and stared at Venus when suddenly I heard the door behind me open. Who could it be? I don't have any family or friends. I slowly turned around.
"Oh, you're awake." A feminine voice said.
The nurse walked up to me and handed me a paper. "The doctor told me hand you this paper. We need your parents' contact information. And please refrain from hurting yourself."
After she left I crumbled up the paper and threw it into the trash can. Is it normal to know who your parents are? Why do they assume that I know?

Suzy:
"What happened to your clothes?" Mom said she held up the bloody school uniform blazer and shirt.
"I had to help someone." I replied to her as I watched her disdainfully look at the stained clothes.
She threw the clothes on to the floor and shouted "Why! Now I have to buy you new ones god damn it!"
I stood up from my desk chair and calmly said "Mom. Don't raise your voice. I had to help someone who was hurt. The uniform is not that big of a deal."
"Not that big of a deal?! Who do you think has to buy you a new four hundred dollar uniform!" She yelled and pointed to the dirty clothes on the ground.
"Mom! Is that all you care about! Is money all you care about! Somebody would have died!"
She stomped up to me and yelled in my face, "How am I going to come up with all that money!"
"I'm going to say it again, somebody was going to die! I couldn't just let him die!"
"You should have let him die! Why didn't you let him die!" She yelled.
"You are really low. I can't even call you my mom. He's somebody's child! What if that were me! What if he let me die because his mom told him not to get his uniform dirty! Think about it!"
She couldn't think of anything to say so she rambled on about how money doesn't grow on trees.
My eyes got watery as I shouted, "Forget about money! Look what happened to dad! You left him to die! Look at what you did to dad! Now he's dead! He's dead damn it!!! And you killed him!"
She slapped me and then pointed to the door. "Get out. Go die on the streets."
I bumped my shoulder against hers as I stomped my way out.
            I rubbed the tears from my cheek as I walked along the dimly lit street. The autumn wind chilled my bones as I slowly walked. I had nowhere to go... I just kept walking and walking aimlessly. I was hungry, cold, and tired. I sat on a bench by a playground. I pulled my knees up to my chest and looked at the ground. I thought about dad, his peaceful face, and his peaceful smile. He contracted AIDS because my mom cheated on him with an infected man. One day he got himself cut really deep while he was working at a construction site. He thought that he'd be okay but the bleeding didn't stop. He didn't know why his wound wasn't healing but my mom knew and she didn't tell him at all. He just kept bleeding and he wanted to go to the hospital but my mom persuaded him not to go because of the medical bill. He died that night of blood loss. Because of my mom he died. She killed him. If she weren't so stingy about money then he'd be here today with his peaceful face, and his peaceful smile. I looked up at the night sky as I wiped the tears that escaped my eyes. I tried to find Venus all the way up in the sky but she was being blocked by a tall building. It was the hospital, and then I remembered Jinyoung.
            I visited his room earlier while he was sleeping so I knew where it was. I took the stairs up to the 8th floor and then walked to the front of his door. I gently opened the door and saw him looking out of the window with his back facing me. He slowly turned around then his eyes met mine. He smiled, pointed to the window, and said "Come here. Look at Venus." And so I stood next to him and looked up at the sky. We looked at Venus and all of the beauty that she held. We looked at the twinkling stars that made her shine. We looked at the bright moon who's frozen soul reminded me of myself. We tried counting the myriad stars in the sky one by one. Just as I was about to turn around a shooting star flew in the sky. I gasped at the sight of it and then closed my eyes to make a wish. Jinyoung did the same.
"What did you wish for?" He asked me after opening his eyes.
"I wished for a fire for my frozen soul." I replied. I looked at him and our eyes made contact. "What did you wish for?" I asked while still looking in his eyes.
"This." He said as he tilted himself in my direction and gently grabbed my head. He moved his face next to mine, closed his eyes, and then slowly kissed my lips.

----------

Author's Note: Wow Jinyoung, you are so cool! :)