It Wasn't Nice Seeing You Again

Spectra

 

S P E C T R A

 

 

Chapter 2

(It Wasn’t Nice Seeing You Again)

 

 

 

Recognition. Longing.  Loneliness. A deadly combination gone in a blink of an eye like it wasn’t even there.

 

The familiarity of those feelings I saw in her eyes made me feel like I was trapped inside them.

 

If not for her hastily averting her gaze away, I wouldn’t have known what to do next. I could only watch as she continued gathering her things up and harshly grabbed her books that I was holding before she stood up and turned her back on me.

 

! She’s leaving! Speak, you idiot! Speak!

 

“W-wait!” I shouted, holding her wrist back. She looked back at me coldly. “Don’t leave. I- I- I’m~” My mouth hung-open as I struggled to think of what to say. Why is she leaving just like that anyway!

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said it’s fine.” She said. Her cold gaze made me flinch.

 

“O-Okay.”

 

She was still looking at me like I was taking too much of her time. I arched my eyebrows questioningly.

 

“My hand.” She pointed out.

 

“Your hand?” I asked stupidly.

 

“Let it go. You're hurting me.”

 

“Let what~”

 

Before I could finish my sentence, she already yanked her wrist out of my grip. Without second glance, she started walking away, massaging her probably sore wrist. For some odd reason, I had an urge to follow her.

 

“M-Miss!” I shouted after her. She sighed before she faced me again.

 

“What now?”

 

“My name’s Kwon Yuri.” I said, immediately biting my tongue for its shamelessness.

 

“Yes. I know. I saw your card. So?”

 

“Right.” I said, scratching my nape, feeling stupid. You’re digging your own grave, Kwon.

 

On cue, my phone rang.

 

Saved!

 

"Ahhmm...I think.. Ahmm. I should get this. Hmm. Yeah. Sorry… again." I said awkwardly. She nodded shortly in reply and left.

 

I stared at her as she went even until after she disappeared from the hall. I would have linger on that spot longer but the ringing of my phone had become too irritating to ignore.

 

I answered the phone call without even bothering to check the caller ID.

 

“Hello, Yul. I need to go. I have an appointment in an hour.” My brother’s, Jin’s, voice echoed from the other line as soon as I answered the phone.

 

“Wait! Stay a little longer! I’m not there yet. They mustn’t see me, Jin!”

 

“Well, that’s not any of my problems. I stayed here long enough. I can’t delay my meeting, you know that. Besides, you run fast. Just run there, okay?”

 

“What!?! But I’m inside school now! Please, Jin, a little longer.”

 

 

He sighed tiredly before he agreed and hung up.

 

It must have been a drag from him to choose to stay. The workaholic that he is, I bet waiting inside my other car to distract my fan girls made him fidgety and irritable. But what can I do? He’s not the only one with a meeting to attend and he’s aware how important that I’m not to be tardy in this one.

 

Cautiously scanning the halls for signs of fans, I walked as fast as I could to the student council lounge. I was walking up the stairs when suddenly I felt a pair of arms hugging me from the back. 

 

Just by hearing her silly giggles, I already know who she is.

 

"Hey Nic."

 

“Annyeong, Oppa~” Nicole’s cheek pressed against my back as she hugged me. I smiled unconsciously.

 

“Were you waiting for me? I told you I’ll see you at lunch, didn’t I?” I faked a reprimanding tone as I gently took her hands, gently loosening her embrace on my waist.

 

“But I don’t want to stay there, Oppa. I’m more comfortable with you around.” She whined. She clung on my arm and pouted. Seeing how clingy Nicole was being, I had a good hitch that she’s having a hard time fitting in with her classmates.

 

I sighed. It had always been her problem. I don’t know why but she and her older sister seemed to have problem getting along with people.

 

On her older sister, I kind of understand. That girl’s naturally intimidating. But with Nicole? Who wouldn’t love this bubbly little girl?

 

“Please, oppaaa-ah~” She looked at me with puppy eyes, clamping her lips together cutely.

 

That aegyo always gets my soft spot.

 

I sighed in defeat. I guess I have to spoil her a little bit for now.

 

“Ok. You can stay with me now since it's your first day here but only until my next class.” I said in finality.  “Now, I just need to check out something with the student council. Stay here until I’m don~”

 

“No.”

 

Both Nicole and I stiffened when we heard a familiar voice. Slowly, we turned to the direction where the voice came from.

 

“Nicole. Stop being so childish and go back to class now.” Uee said with all authority, making Nicole held her head down both in shame and in fear of her older sister. 

 

“Uee~”

 

“You always let her get what she wants that’s why she’s acting like this.” She looked at me with that usual underestimating gaze that seemed always plastered on her face.

 

“Unnie, please don’t blame~”

 

“See. This is why Papa said you’re irresponsible.” Uee cut Nicole in mid-sentence. She looked at her disapprovingly. “You know how a Jung should act. You’re a Jung. Act like one.”

 

Nicole bit her lips and she nodded her head timidly to Uee. I could see her eyes getting watery.

 

“Uee, I think that’s too much. Please don’t treat your sister like that.”

 

“Don’t tell me what to do. I’m her sister. I know what’s good for her. That’s why; I strongly suggest you stop acting like an older brother to her. You’re not good influence for her.”

 

“But~” I wanted to complain but she didn’t let me.

 

“We’re over now, Yul. I think,” She took a deep breath. “It would be better for both of us to cut all our ties. You should know that better than me.”

 

Nicole starting sobbing but I couldn’t pay attention to her. I stared at Uee, waiting for the small hint of regret for saying such harsh words to me.

 

But it never came.

 

It’s only been months since we officially broke-up but the girl I was facing seemed nothing like the girl I once loved.

 

“Now, if you excuse us.” She said, taking her sister by the arm as they took their leave.

 

The ringtone of my phone echoing on the hall was not enough to make me look away at the retreating figure of the sisters.

 

Don’t I even worth a glance from you now, Uee?

 

Seeing Uee and Nicole were out of the vicinity, without looking at the caller ID, I answered the call.

 

“I really need to go.” Jin said from the other line.

 

“Sure. Sure. You can go now. I’m in front of the office anyway.” I said, not able to conceal the sadness in my voice.

 

“You saw her, didn’t you?” Jin’s voice sounded hesitant.

 

I nodded halfheartedly, forgetting that he couldn’t see me. I heard him sigh.

 

“Yul, I’ll be in Japan again after this meeting. Are you sure you don’t want to go with me? I know someone trustworthy that we could ask to manage our business here. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that much of a trouble if you~”

 

“Jin, it’s okay.” I said smiling slightly at how my brother was acting. For the impatient and indifferent one in our family, he’s acting way out of character.

 

“Really?”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Yes. Call me if you need anything or there’s any problem, okay? Chow~” I said, waving playfully at the phone before pressing the end icon.  

 

I sighed tiredly and looked at where my ex-girlfriend and Nicole disappeared.

 

“Oh. Yul-ssi. You’re here!” After hearing a sound of sliding door opening, I heard a man voice calling from behind me.

 

Trying as hard as I could to ignore the baffling feeling in my heart, I turned to the voice with a fake grin.  

 

“Hyung! I’m sorry. I got caught-up a little.” I jogged to where Jaebeom, the student council vice-president, was and bowed in apology.

 

“No problem. Come. The meeting started already.” He informed. We walked inside the lounge. “We really wanted wait for you but Uee-ssi said she have something to do so we had to start on time. Had they told you what the meeting was about?” He said. I shook my head timidly as a response. “Oh. Well then. I’ll brief you a little about wh~” He kept on talking but my mind already drifted off our conversation.

 

Uee lied. She lied when she said that I didn’t truly love her so it wouldn’t hurt that much. It hurts. It still hurts so bad.

 

 

 


Please do comment.

Thank you for reading..