{ Prologue }

In Time

 

{ Prologue }

 

 

Kwon Clan’s Hanok

Andong, Korea-- Joseon Dynasty

A long ing time ago

 

Settled in the west wing of the yanbang hanok, the remaining members of the Kwon clan gathered with grim faces. The kingdom was in chaos, women and children were driven out to the farthest mountains leaving the men as they prepared for battle. The patriarch of the family sat in the middle while the rest of the clan knelt before him.

 

“The impending war against the emperor’s men and the Manchurians who are plotting to overthrow the monarch can happen anytime now. Our family will surely be one of the top targets being of service to the King…

Kwon Ji Yong, being youngest in generation and last of our descent, you carry the responsibility to preserve our family lineage. We need to devise a plan of escape. Our clan cannot be dissolved!”

 

The news was spreading; the Manchu army were on their way as they advanced towards the South. The people began to take fight headed North while the rest prepared themselves for the incoming blood bath.

Kwon Ji Yong, the youngest among the Kwon men kept still as his grandfather Kwon Che-Man consulted the rest of the family members regarding their plan to survive the war. At a tender age of 24, Ji Yong was expected to be alive after the war to be able to continue their family’s noble bloodline. Cold sweat trickled down his temple as he pondered on the thought of losing his clan to a battle whilst the heavy responsibility bestowed upon him. He also found it ridiculous how power could cause people to turn into selfish, blood thirsty monsters. The Manchurians wanted to rule the country and there was no way in hell that the people of this country would give up without a fight.

Danger lied ahead. The second invasion was coming and the Joseon dynasty would soon collapse.

Survival was key. And he needed to live at whatever cost.

A religious ceremony was held right after the gathering. To Ji Yong’s utter boredom, he decided to sneak out of the hanok through one of the windows. Clad in a red male hanbok and traditional gat, he hastily put on his silk dopo to fend off the harsh cold air before his grandfather decided  to search for him amongst the crowd. As he crept past the two guards outside the residence’s heavy wooden gates, he quickly ran off to the nearby lake for a moment of solitude.

Ji Yong settled on a huge rock just by the river side. It was a full moon and the view from the lake was just breath taking. He watched the majestic reflection of the mountain through the gleaming surface of the lake whilst throwing a pebble into the water creating a rippling effect. Soon, he would have to leave home and never see this place again. Or maybe that was a better option than marrying himself to one of his own relatives which he would have to search for after the war.

 

“You will survive this war.”

 

To his surprise, a voice from behind muttered in a calm tone that sent shivers all over him. Instead of looking right behind him, he instantly extracted a dagger inside his hanbok before turning to meet his intruder.

“I won’t harm you. I am Sandara and I meditate here often…” The young woman walked slowly towards him, a calm and reserved expression laced with her voice. She carried a small frame, pale skin that almost mixed with her plain white hanbok. Her hair was braided and bound by a daenggi (red ribbon) yet her face was covered by her conical straw hat (satgat).

A shaman? But how come she’s alone at this hour? Was she oblivious about the impending danger? He examined the young woman before him, there was a certain finesse in her movements and with a glimpse of her right sleeve, he saw a red stain emerging from the ripped fabric.

“You are wounded. Please let me see it…” Gifted with quick wit, Ji Yong fumbled deep in his pocket and produced his handkerchief. There was a shallow cut on her arm, probably caused by a knife.

“I was attacked by a robber on my way to the outskirts. Thank you for your kindness.”

 

She bowed, stretched out her unharmed arm and offered him something he could not quite fathom.

 

“Here, take this…” The young shaman named Sandara unfolded her hand revealing a silver ornament that seemed like an odd looking bracelet. The item must have been made by a talented craftsman seeing how detailed it was. Then again, it was actually Ji Yong’s first time to see such a peculiar object.

“Treat it as your lucky charm. You shall be travelling a great distance. You will need this in the future. You shall meet a woman that will play a huge part in your journey. Go ahead, wear it. I wish you luck.”

Ji Yong frowned upon the bizarre jewellery, examining it whilst giving it a closer look. And what had she meant regarding his future? If this shaman can predict his future, then he can use her to lead him to his clan’s survival. Glancing up to where the mysterious shaman stood,

 

“How did you---“He gasped.

 

She was gone.

 

Was he dreaming? He sure did see someone standing right there a few moments ago. Then again it was a full moon, mysterious things happen during this period of time. With his teeth clattering loudly from the cold, Ji Yong casted his eyes back down on his palm where the silver ornament glimmered. With much curiosity, he lifted it up and wrapped it around his wrist while securing it with what seemed to be a man-made lock. Out of nowhere, he felt a sudden gush of wind along with the rustling of fallen leaves.

Creepy.

The young aristocrat then decided to head back home before anymore mysterious things happen in the middle of the night. Walking towards his path home, his eyes felt heavy urging him to speed up his pace. Tomorrow shall be the day of their departure, a rejuvenating sleep would come in handy. Climbing over the wall adjacent to his room’s window, the charming Kwon descendant landed on his mat just in time for his father’s rounds.

Little did he know, the jewellery given by the shaman held a certain kind of power over time. As Ji Yong drifted to deep slumber, the bracelet started ticking its hidden hands.

 

~~~

 

 

(There were a lot of Korean terms used here, sorry. I'll put the meanings when the procrastinating cloud is away.)