`` lightning bolt

exoskeleton sector.

 

“ing hell, that hurts.” Jongdae winced as he wiped his body with a towel. The male had to be helped by his brother to go back to his dorm room, as his body couldn’t handle all the contact with water.

 

Jongdae was five years old when he got struck by lightning. The young boy had been left stranded on a boat in the middle of the sea. No matter how much he tried to remember how he got there, he couldn’t. He just remembered sitting in the boat, curled up in a ball. To this day, he couldn’t remember anything that happened before that.

The boy wasn’t exactly fond of water but at the same time he didn’t dislike it. He peered over the boat, staring into the blue water. There were no oars so all hopes of steering the boat back to the shore was extinguished. Jongdae at that age, didn’t know how to swim, therefore he was stuck to sit in that boat until someone came to save him.

It was the fourth day when the weather changed for the worse. In the past few days, Jongdae had managed to feed himself by catching fish with his bare hands. He would eat it raw, his face scrunching up at the salty taste. A couple of seagulls would flutter by, sometimes staying for a while to accompany him.  

There was one particular smart gull, one that brought him packets of crackers. Usually it carried the packets using its beak but there were times when they were tied to the gull’s feet.

Jongdae had managed to distinguish the gull from its companion by the strange lightning bolt-shaped birthmark it had on its forehead. Since it reminded him of Harry Potter, the male named the gull, well, Harry Potter. All the gull needed left was a pair of little round glasses and there you have, a gull version of Harry Potter.

The weather was peaceful during his days stranded in the sea. But on the fourth day, clouds started to gloom over the sun, denying the sea sunshine. Jongdae had never been particularly good with such dark weather, so he huddled closer to the Harry Potter gull.

It started to rain. Jongdae remembered sobbing silently, scared out of his wits. His tears would blend in with the drops of rain.

Then lightning struck.

It had hit him square in the chest, somehow. 

 

As he thought about his past, the shock of him living past the electrocution never failed to surprise him. Instead of dying, he ended up being able to control lightning.

 

He woke up the next day after, with a lightning bolt scarred on his chest, right above his heart.

The boy had stumbled over to the side of the boat, trying to see his reflection in the water. He had stretched his hands out to wash his face but instead he ended up getting a minor electric shock.

“Huh?” the petite boy mumbled to himself in confusion as he slowly rubbed his hands on his pants. The curious young boy decided to play around, experiment. He looked upwards towards the sky and reached out for the clouds.

A lightning bolt struck the water next to him, causing waves to envelop the boat into a current. The lightning had affected everything surrounding him, except him himself.

The strong current that he had caused brought him back to shore.

He stared at his hand, not believing what had just happened.

He could control lightning.

 

The male shook his head, the drops of water dripping off his hair. Water was a good conductor of lightning but it proved to be a double edged sword when it came to electricians like him.

That was what people who could controlled lightning called – electricians.

As the human body consisted of mainly water, whenever Jongdae touched water or any sort of liquid from an external source (not water inside his body), he would often receive mild electric shocks.

Showering was a pain in the . He would often have to visit the health centre every time he took a shower. Which was why he only showered once a week, to reduce the amount of damage inflicted on his body.

Jongdae was working on a long-term project that would enable electricians like him to be able to touch water without any side effects. He had been working on it ever since he had found out about the main issue that he had with nature.

The ironic thing was that he had been assigned to a boss that controlled rain. Whenever Jongdae screwed up in a mission, Jihoon-ahjusshi would punish him by using water.

Sometimes if Jongdae was pissed enough to the point of not regretting doing foolish things, he would strike lightning into his boss. That had happened a couple of times, and both males would end up in the hospital wing (as the health centre was more of a temporary short-term healing specialised faculty while the hospital wing was catered to long-term healing.)

The first time it happened, the supernatural community had expected a start of a long bitter relationship full of hatred between the boss and the underling. However, both of the males had gotten over it without any hard feelings lingering in their hearts.

Jihoon ahjusshi was notoriously known for his calm demeanour yet short temper. Often the elder male would release his anger using water, which to Jongdae appeared ironic as water symbolised calmness and using water to vent out anger was . . . truly one of a kind trait.

When Jongdae first learned of Jung Jihoon or Bi, his code name - his boss had insisted on using the Korean word for rain - he had assumed that the elder could only control a figment of the weather by summoning clouds to condense faster. However he soon found out that the elder wasn’t called the master of water for nothing, the male could manipulate water to his will after years of training.

The male glanced at his reflection in the mirror, grazing his fingers over his chest. The scar had been there since he was little, so whenever he saw that other people’s chests were bare and with no sort of imperfections on them, he found it weird.

“KIM JONGDAE, YOU ING OF A BROTHER, THE HAPPENED TO MY BED?!” Jongin’s voice pierced the silence that had been present minutes ago.

Jongdae’s eyes widened as he realised that he had forgotten about the bed which he had accidentally strike with lightning when he tried to take off his wet clothing before going for a shower.

“, not good,” the electrician panicked about, scrambling to get dressed. He flung the towel onto the floor; searching for where he had placed the clothes he had chosen to get changed into.

While he focused on the urgent issue of getting dressed, he failed to notice that the bathroom door had opened slightly. A head soon peeked into the doorway, causing Jongdae to raise his head as he fitted his legs into a pair of boxers.

“Jongin’s not happy and you are dead,” the cheshire like male chirped happily as he entered the steamy bathroom. Jongdae rolled his eyes before sighing, “Yeah, thank you for predicting the future.”

“Told you I could have been a good seer,” the male replied, grinning.

“JONGDA- oh, hi. Watcha doing here, Yookwon-sshi?” Jongin popped into the doorway, surprised at the sight of the said male.

“Wondering whether you guys have any spare dynamite sticks from that previous batch we stole from last mission. Minhyuk’s been a pain in the ever since you –“ he looked pointedly in Jongdae’s direction “- accidentally lit his years of stock that time. By the way, cut the formal act Jongin-ah, since when have you been so respectful and gentlemanly.”

The electrician smiled sheepishly, rubbing his nape as the memory of the last mission played back in his mind. “I said I was sorry,” he pouted, now playing with his fingers.

“Yeah, and sorry ain’t gonna bring back those sticks back,” Jongin remarked before turning to Yookwon, “I can be polite when I want to. Speaking of politeness, would you care for a free gun?”

Yookwon raised an eyebrow, slightly apprehensive of the sudden offer. He then shrugged his shoulders, “A free gun? Depends on what model it is.”

“It’s a brand new one I think, never seen it before in my life. Picked it up when teleporting my way here,” the teleporter explained, pushing past his brother to reach the mirror. The male started to admire his reflection, tousling his hair for the y messed up look.

“Thought you did a oneshot long-distance teleport?” Jongdae frowned, wondering what else did he exactly miss out when their boss filled him in with Jongin’s mission.

“Bumped into a gunsmith on the way,” the younger brother replied casually, scrunching his face as he spotted a scar on his tanned face. “Eh, didn’t notice that there before.”

“Hmm, can I see it? The gun, I mean. Not your scar,” Yookwon asked, his empty holster belt.

 “Where’s your gun?” Jongdae inquired, having noticed that Yookwon’s holster was empty.

“Sent it to Seungho for cleaning. Half of my guns are with him right now,” the gunner replied, picking up a stray towel that Jongdae had dropped in the process of dressing. “Here,” he said, tossing the towel to the electrician.

Jongdae thanked the male as he neatly dried the towel on the towel hanger. The other two males proceeded to exit the steamy bathroom while discussing about the latest gun models.

“Whoa, I’ve never seen this one before,” Yookwon gushed over the gun he now held in his hands. The childlike expression on his face made the two brothers chuckle, it was not everyday you see the badass gunner grinning like a kid. Usually the smile present on the male’s face was the trademark Cheshire cat grin that scared the out of their enemies.

“You can have it,” Jongin said, waving his hand airily before adding, “For free.”

“You serious?” the gunner gasped, holding the gun delicately. Jongin nodded in response, eliciting a hug.