ƒιηαℓ

Changing Means Losing [[One-Shot]]
Final
-----------------------------------------------------
It was a cold winter day. The bare trees were shivering from the harsh winds, and snow was falling down slowly yet smoothly. Yeji continued her walk home, not minding the snow or wind that has turning her cheeks rosy red and making her teeth chatter.
 
She was upset.
 
For the past few weeks, it seemed that he was changing bit by bit.
 
He didn’t call her as frequently as before.
 
They didn’t talk as often as they used to.
 
He always seemed to be spacing out or ignoring her whenever they actually did spend time together.
 
Now she didn’t want to sound like an overly possessive girlfriend, but she was worried.
 
Did she do something wrong?
 
Was he not satisfied?
 
Did he not want to be together with her anymore?
 
The last thought scared her. She tried to push the thought away, but it always seemed to come back. Her face paled even more, turning as pale as a sheet of paper. She swallowed the lump in as she pushed the door of the apartment they shared open.
 
Changing into a pair of sweats and putting on one of his hoodies, she pulled the covers over her shivering body. Curling up into a ball, thoughts of her flaws and imperfections nagged at her, making her shut her eyes tightly, her hands over her ears as the voices in her head grew louder.
 
Of course he would leave you someday. He’s an idol, and you’re just a regular girl. He deserves someone better, like the many other pretty girls out there. Why should he stay with you when there could be someone even better out there? You’re holding him back from his life.
 
That last sentence made her eyes open wide as tears collected. “No, no, no,” she whimpered to herself, eyes wide as she shook her head fervently, “He won’t leave me. I know he won’t.” Even with those words of reassurance, the tears she tried to keep in fell as her body shook with sobs. Slowly, her mind adapted to those negative thoughts. “I don’t deserve him,” she thought sadly, the tears falling down quickly as she hugged herself, her petite body curled up into a fetal position as she sobbed quietly to herself.
 
Moments after, she heard the door swing open. Silently hoping it was him, she rushed out of the room to greet him, only to be slapped in the face with the truth. There he was, her boyfriend, with another girl in his arms. He seemed shocked to see her, as they had rarely crossed paths until now. He stayed frozen as the girl standing next to him looked at him curiously, “Oppa, who’s this?”
 
Yeji looked away, the tears falling even faster down her pale cheeks as she choked back on another sob. It was the first time she had seen him in nearly half a year, and she sees him with another girl in his arms. She rushed into the previous room, locking the door as her back slid down the cold wood. “So this was why,” she cried to herself, “Why I haven’t been seeing him lately. He’s been cheating on me.”
 
She could hear the shouts outside as a door slammed, feet running towards her direction seconds later. “Yeji-yah, open the door,” he said softly, slightly jiggling the doorknob to find it locked. She stood up to change out of the comfortable clothing and into a pair of jeans, a long-sleeved tee and her own hoodie as she some clothes into her backpack, along with her toothbrush, her phone, and all of her other things, leaving no trace behind besides a picture frame that stood on the nearby counter. “Yeji-ah, open the door! Please! Let me explain!” he pleaded, his fist slamming onto the door hard as she choked on another sob.
 
Slinging the bag over her shoulder, she opened the window, silently thanking the skies that there was a tree nearby. She glanced back sadly at the slamming door. She could hear the keys jingling as she jumped out of the window and onto the tree safely, quietly thanking her brother for teaching her how to climb a tree. She quickly shut the window before climbing her way down, finally feeling the snow crunch under her feet before she took off running in a random direction.
 
He had arrived outside a few moments too late after he found out that she had jumped out the window. He swore under his breath again before he ran off in the opposite direction, hoping to find her before the storm was to turn severe.
 
He honestly didn’t think she would be at the apartment. He felt guilty, knowing that it truly was his fault. Somehow, the fame had gotten to his head, and suddenly all this happened. His eyes grew wet as he went to search for her at the places they’ve visited together.
 
T he dukkbokki store they visited so often as kids that the owner thought they were a couple back then.
 
The bus stop where they first met.
 
The park where he had first asked her to be his girlfriend.
 
Nothing.
 
He ran back towards the apartment to warm up after realizing that the storm had reached its worst. Changing into something warm and dry, he the tv to see when the weather would lighten up so he can continue his search. “It seems that the weather had gotten more severe, so it’d best be that everyone stay inside until the storm subsides,” the news anchor reported before he slightly paused before continuing to speak, “It seems that there had been an accident due to the the storm outside. The person hit had been verified to be a girl, possibly a college student. She had been admitted into the hospital immediately, for she was losing too much blood. Let’s hope she turns out well, and that no major damage had been inflicted on the young girl. Now, onto other news...”
 
“No,” his eyes widened as he silently hoped that it was not his girlfriend, “It can’t be her...”
 
Roughly half an hour later, his phone had rung, and he silently pleaded that it was not about Yeji. Picking it up with shaky hands, his voice wavered, “Hello?”
 
“Hello, are you acquainted with someone by the name of Han Yeji?” the voice on the other line asked as he quietly confirmed his identity, “We’re very sorry to tell you this, but your friend had been in an accident earlier and had been hit quite badly. She’s alright, but we need you to come to *name of hospital*after the storm subsides.”
 
“How did you get my number?” he croaked out. The voice on the other line answered, “Your number was the most recent number called. We’ll be seeing you soon, sir.” The line went dead as his grip went limp, his phone dropping onto the ground.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
The storm had subdued a few hours later, and he had quickly rushed to the hospital where Yeji had been admitted. Quickly thanking the nurse for Yeji’s room number and rushing towards the door, he noticed her brother pacing outside, face pale and hands wringing together nervously as his eyes darted around the place quickly. Yeji’s brother had finally noticed the other male a few moments later. “YOU!” he growled, gripping the younger male’s collar as he rammed him into the wall, anger pouring out of his eyes, “What the hell did you do to my sister, you bastard!?”
 
“Hyung, let me go!” the younger struggled to loosen his hyung’s grip, but it only made it tighter, “Hyung, we’re in a hospital!” Unwillingly, Yeji’s brother loosened his grip, still glaring at the younger boy, “I asked you a question-”
 
At that moment, the doctor had walked out of Yeji’s room, Kangdae immediately asked, “Doctor, is my sister alright?”
 
“I’m afraid I have bad news,” the elder man spoke quietly as Kangdae’s face fell, “She’s not going to die, is she?” The doctor stayed quiet. Her brother, having his assumptions confirmed, let his tears fall freely as he asked, “Can I at least see her?” The doctor nodded and let him in, along with the boy that had caused all of the events that had happened.
 
“Oh god, Yeji,” her brother cried as he looked over his sister’s body. Her head was wrapped in bandages, IVs stuck into her arms, an oxygen mask covering more than half of her small face. Her breath was short and rapid, as though she was having a hard time breathing.  He immediately claimed the spot next to her, gripping onto her hand as though it would help keep her stay rooted on Earth. The youngest boy had his hand clamped over his mouth, his eyes wide with fear and horror. *Yeji...,* he thought as the tears streamed down his pale face.
 
Kangdae held her hand tightly yet delicately. “Yeji-yah, wake up,” he pleaded, “Come on. I can’t lose you, too. You’re the only one I have left.” The youngest male in the room turned his head away from the scene, his heart breaking from knowing that it was indeed all his fault that she was lying on that hospital bed at that very moment. His hand formed a fist as he felt the tears pricking at the corners of his eyes.
 
If only I hadn’t let fame get to me, or better yet, if I hadn’t taken the choice in becoming famous at all...
 
“YEJI! YEJI-YAH, WAKE UP! DON’T GO!” Kangdae’s voice snapped him out of his thoughts as he heard the heart monitor beat rapidly. Doctors and nurses flocked into the room, trying their best to bring her heart rate up as the two boys were pulled out of the room.
 
...I wouldn’t have chosen this path.
 
As the two stood outside of the room, they both wished that she would be alright.
 
I wouldn’t choose being famous...
 
That her life was able to be spared.
 
That they would be able to see her one last time.
 
That she would make it.
 
...If it meant losing you forever.
 
She didn’t make it.