alarm clock (wake up)

alarm clock (wake up)

 

it's too cold. the apartment is too big. it's lonely. far, far too lonely.
 
kyungsoo thinks that no one is meant to ever live alone, and that it's just a stage in life that some have to endure. but he supposes he shouldn't complain; his apartment is nice enough, his job at the local grocery store pays well, and he's not failing any of his classes. none of it is great, but it's good. good enough.
 
but kyungsoo has always been just "good enough." he's never been great, never been exceptional, just... good. his grades were always good, he had good friends, he's fairly good looking. it's just good. and it's not like too good to be true, but more like good as opposed to great.
 
maybe this is the reason he's considerably surprised when a very tall, eccentric-looking man bounds up to him one day after psychology-101 and introduces himself.
 
"hi! i'm park chanyeol. what's your name?"
 
kyungsoo is sure his eyes are wide, wider than usual, when he returns a quiet "do kyungsoo."
 
"kyungsoo, hmm," the boy taps his chin and looks thoughtful. "i'll call you kyunggie. is that good? do you like it?" the not-really-a-stranger-anymore smiles wide, revealing amazingly straight, white teeth.
 
good, kyungsoo thinks. of course it's good. kyungsoo is always good. just good. "yeah," kyungsoo musters up a smile. "good."
 
kyungsoo eventually meets chanyeol's so-called best friend, byun baekhyun. he refers to baekhyun as chanyeol's "so-called" best friend because he can see that they are obviously much more than that.
 
they live together. they invite kyungsoo over a lot because they know he lives alone. kyungsoo accepts, of course, and stays over the majority of the first semester. he has an almost permanent futon on the floor in the living room and his own mug in the cabinet. baekhyun and chanyeol are happy that kyungsoo is their friend now (and it's not just because of the free breakfast every saturday and sunday morning, they swear) and let him tag along quite a bit.
 
kyungsoo admits that he's opened up considerably, shedding his middle and high school days and leaving them in his own apartment. he's finally made friends, and they certainly are great friends.
 
just before christmas break, kyungsoo overhears chanyeol and baekhyun talking about some sort of trip from their place on the couch, kyungsoo at the kitchen table studying for his business midterm.
 
"are you sure your mom will like me?" he can hear baekhyun ask, uncertainty weaved between every letter.
 
he also hears chanyeol's loud laugh. "of course she will, baek," chanyeol probably ruffled baekhyun's hair. "you're perfect; how could anyone not like you?"
 
perfect. kyungsoo doesn't like that word much. it's unattainable.
 
"sehun doesn't like me," baekhyun says, probably accompanied by a cute pout that chanyeol will hug him for.
 
chanyeol snorts. "sehun doesn't like anyone."
 
it turns out that baekhyun was planning on spending christmas with chanyeol and his family, considering his own parents were out on business trips and stuck in other countries because of snow. kyungsoo isn't invited. but he completely understands; he wouldn't want to intrude anyway.
 
when he lets himself into his own apartment, he can't help but think this isn't home. he doesn't feel like he belongs there, or that anyone does. chanyeol and baekhyun's place is more comfortable, he thinks, but it still isn't home. kyungsoo supposes he doesn't have a home.
 
it's cold. the air is stiff, like in the summer, but still so, so cold. it's too dry, and kyungsoo can almost feel the ice starting to trace patterns of crystalline structures on his ribcage with every breath he takes.
 
kyungsoo toes off his shoes at the door; they're the only pair. he hangs his jacket on the coat holder stand beside the door, next to the place where he puts his keys on the table. there's just one jacket, one set of keys. the words "i'm home" almost slip out of his mouth, force of habit, but he bites them back because kyungsoo has never been one to lie much.
 
 
 
that night, after kyungsoo turns the heat on full blast, he opens the hallway closet and rummages around for those fleece blankets he knows his mother packed for him the day he left for college. the door opens with a creak, filling the thick silence in the space. kyungsoo thinks he hears another even after the door is closed and the blankets are in his arms, but chalks it up to his mind making up for the silence.
 
he changes the sheet on his bed for good measure, then drapes the two fleece blankets over the sheets, noticing how his heat hasn't kicked in yet. he's going to be a bit upset if it never does, but he still pays for it.
 
as kyungsoo changes into a long-sleeved shirt and some comfortable sweatpants, he can't help but feel like someone is watching him. it's cliche, really, but he feels like eyes are boring into his skull from behind, maybe someone standing in his doorway. he turns around cautiously, half expecting to see a person in a black ski mask wielding a knife or gun, and half anticipating a stray cat.
 
there's no cat, no scary burglar. there's just his open door and too much empty space that leads into a dark hallway. kyungsoo sighs and thinks that maybe he shouldn't be out of his apartment so much; it's become something like a haunted house to him. like, even though he knows which hallway leads to what room, he still doesn't know what he'll find around the corner. it's a scary feeling, one he doesn't like, so he resolves to spend all of his christmas at home, and not with friends. family, either. they went to hawaii. kyungsoo doesn't really like airplanes.
 
kyungsoo lies in bed for a while. his body temperature is warm, internally, but he still feels cold. everything around him is cold, and it's starting to seep through the four layers he has on top of him. he doesn't understand how chanyeol sleeps in only his boxers, even in the middle of winter, with only a single sheet over him.
 
he glances over at the clock. bright, blood red letters scream the time of 3:27 AM back at him. kyungsoo sighs. he went to bed at eleven. he shifts onto his back, staring at his stark white ceiling as if he might be able to see through it and out into the night sky, count the stars above.
 
as he's finally drifting off to sleep, kyungsoo swears he sees smoke. not like cigarette smoke that's gray and smells like death, but dark, black smoke that dances above his head and curls around whatever it comes into contact with. it has a slight shimmer to it, like there's glitter sprinkled in it. like the sky. it's the last thing kyungsoo sees before he finally lets sleep take him, and he likes to think he could feel the corners of his lips tugging up into something of a smile.
 
 
 
the next day, kyungsoo goes to the market and buys a christmas tree. it's a miniature one, granted, but it's still a christmas tree. he buys the cheapest ornaments he can find, black, white, silver, and blue ones, along with a silver tree topper shaped as a star. it's good enough.
 
he sets up the tree in a stand, waters it, then leaves the ornaments beside it to decorate tomorrow. he'll put them on tomorrow while sipping on a cup of hot cider, maybe some hot chocolate, and take his time to make it look as good as possible.
 
it's still cold in his apartment, but it's warmer than the night before. he checks his phone before bed, and there's a text from chanyeol and baekhyun each, saying how much they miss him, complete with plenty of exclamation points and emoticons to last kyungsoo a lifetime. he smiles at the screen for a moment, and there's a small hint of warmth in the pit of his stomach, but it's just a small one. it's not a flame, no fire burning like in all the books he's read.
 
he turns his phone off and sets it on his nightstand, face down (just in case). he lies facing the ceiling again, hoping that maybe he'll see the black smoke again. it was strangely comforting, the way it danced and curled between his fingers when he reached out and ran his hand through it. to be honest with himself, kyungsoo isn't sure it was real; it very well could have been a dream. but kyungsoo has to try, has to look for something that makes his life better when he's alone.
 
but there's no smoke that night, no heavy fog of black clouding his vision and dusting it with tiny twinkles of light. kyungsoo sighs, turning onto his side. he reaches his hand out anyway, spreading his fingers apart and palm open, vulnerable to the chilly air. there's a heavy silence, and kyungsoo sighs just to fill it. if he doesn't, the ringing in his ears will start getting too loud and then he really won't get any sleep.
 
the temperature seems to drop quite noticeably all of a sudden, and a shiver wracks kyungsoo's body (and not just because it's cold). he only retracts his hand when he feels something against it. it's only a slight pressure, one of a fleeting touch when a stranger brushes by on the subway. but it's there nonetheless, and it makes kyungsoo jump.
 
he holds his hand to his heart tightly, trying to warm it up and make sure his heart won't burst out of his chest at the same time. there's nothing in front of him. he can't see anything that would have touched his palm, nothing that could. but he can't deny that the pressure was there, like someone had pressed their own palm flush against his own. the hand would have been bigger than his, kyungsoo thinks, as he recalls that there was that same pressure over the tips of his fingers, like someone was curling their fingers over his because their hands were that much larger.
 
kyungsoo falls asleep to his hand on his heart and his head in black smoke that smells of stars.
 
 
 
kyungsoo wakes in the morning surprisingly well rested, considering how late he stayed up trying to figure out the phenomenon of the warmth against his palm the night before. he rolls out of bed and lets his feet touch the cold hardwoods of his room, shivering as he pulls on a hoodie that's hanging over the back of his desk chair. it's too big for him; chanyeol had bought it for him as a late birthday present after they first met and the tall boy had found out kyungsoo's birthday was in january and he'd already missed it. chanyeol's only used to buying clothes in his size, and forgot to consider kyungsoo's small stature when purchasing the pullover. kyungsoo doesn't mind, though. it's nice and comfy, roomy and comforting in its own way.
 
kyungsoo waltzes slowly into the kitchen, taking his time since he is on winter break. he puts on a kettle of water to heat up (he opted for tea instead of cider). when the kettle starts to whistle, kyungsoo pours some into a mug very carefully before adding two bags of tea. earl grey is his favorite. he continues into the living room where his quaint little christmas tree is, and promptly drops his mug of hot tea. it shatters on the floor and the tea burns his feet and legs where it splashes up, but he can't care much when he stares at the sight of his already decorated christmas tree. the ornaments are in a pattern: white, blue, silver, black. the star is sitting on top, straight and pointing toward the ceiling.
 
as kyungsoo walks back into the kitchen for a wet rag and a dustpan, he thinks of who could have done this. there's a rational explanation for this, he just has to find it. it couldn't have been chanyeol or baekhyun because they're on the other side of seoul with chanyeol's family. it certainly wasn't his parents; they're in hawaii. and why would a burglar break in, decorate his puny christmas tree, then leave without stealing or breaking anything?
 
kyungsoo bends down beside the broken shards of glass and, with shaky hands, starts to delicately pick up the big pieces to put into the dustpan. once he's done, a few small cuts and scratches adorning his pale fingers, he sets the rag over the spilled liquid, letting it soak some of the tea up. he stares at the floor, at his trembling hands as they grip tightly to the rag, and then there's more liquid soaking the floor. but it's not tea, it's tears. kyungsoo is crying, and he has no idea why.
 
he tries helplessly to wipe away the salty tears, but they just keep coming, like a floodgate has been opened and there's no way to dam it up. he sits back on his heels and grips the rag even tighter, knuckles turning white. his hiccups and sniffles are the sounds that fill his apartment now, and kyungsoo almost misses the usual silence.
 
then, over the sound of his sobs, kyungsoo hears something. it's almost like the padding of feet, sock-covered toes moving against the hard floor. but it's quiet, soft, like they aren't really walking, but dancing, rather.
 
he looks up, starting with bare feet, tracing lines up thin legs and a lithe body, finally ending at a square jaw and soft lips. he really should be surprised, but after everything that has happened in the past few days, kyungsoo can't say that he is. of course it's strange to see a boy standing in the middle of your living room staring at you (especially when you've never met said boy), but the only thing Kyungsoo can manage to do is stare.
 
the boy, not really a boy when kyungsoo gets a good look at him, looks to be taller than kyungsoo, but also maybe a few years younger. even in the pitiful lighting of kyungsoo's apartment, he can see that the other is tanned, not ghostly white like himself. the boy has dark hair that reminds kyungsoo of the night sky, black and endless. his eyes are big, filled with warm brown irises and large, black pupils.
 
"hello," his voice is soft, deeper than kyungsoo had expected.
 
kyungsoo just continues to stare, contemplating if he should answer this stranger or not. what if he's a murderer? he doesn't look like one, but looks can be quite deceiving.
 
the boy moves closer, but there's barely any sound. he doesn't have socks on, but he still sounds as if his body were weightless, floating above the floors as he walks. "i'm kai," he introduces himself, holding out a hand that kyungsoo guesses he should take.
 
but he doesn't, because he's still trying to put all of this together. he needs time to process this.
 
kyungsoo thinks he sees the boy smile slightly, and maybe it's a sad smile, but it's gone as quickly as it came. "i'm kai," the boy repeats and holds his hand up right, palm open and facing kyungsoo, as if he's going to wave at him. "and i'm not going to hurt you."
 
though kyungsoo hasn't said one word to the other, nor moved his gaze way from him once, he finds himself reaching his own hand out, letting their fingers touch and palms share the only heat present in the apartment.
 
then kai does something terrifying, something that shakes kyungsoo to the core and now he really doesn't know what to think. kai, eyes staring right back at kyungsoo, curls the tops of his fingers over kyungsoo's because his hands are just that much bigger. 
 
kyungsoo quickly pulls his hand back like the touch had set it on fire and holds it to his chest, just like the night before. when he looks, horrified, at the other, he can see the remnants of a frown on kai's face, a pull in his cheeks that makes even his eyes look sad. he feels bad, thinks that he doesn't like the way kai looks when he's sad like this, even though he's never seen him smile before.
 
"um," kyungsoo finds himself trying to speak, clearing his throat to find his voice. "hi," the very intelligent phrase falls from his lips, and he can see kai's lips twitch upward.
 
"hello," kai repeats, eyes crinkling with a small smile.
 
"why..." kyungsoo trails off, not sure exactly how to phrase his sentence without offending kai (if that's possible). "why are you here?"
 
kai just stares back at kyungsoo, his head tilting a bit to the side. kyungsoo thinks that kai is definitely younger than him because the only other person he knows that can look that young is that foreign exchange student from beijing in his biology class. "because you want me to be."
 
"excuse me?" kyungsoo asks. he doesn't remember ordering his own personal teenager through the mail recently. or ever.
 
kai's smile falters a bit. "i'm here because of you," he says again, not helping kyungsoo at all.
 
 
 
kyungsoo had just nodded after that, gratefully accepting kai's efforts to help clean up the remainder of the spilt tea. when kyungsoo goes to wash his hands, he notices that there are no longer cuts on his fingers.
 
 
 
kai has been with kyungsoo for two weeks now. he insists on sleeping in the same bed as kyungsoo even though there's a perfectly good futon and couch in the living room.
 
kyungsoo can't say he minds much; the extra warmth from another body is a welcomed sensation in the freezing winter weather. he enjoys the strong arms that hold tightly against his waist in the early hours of the morning, the warm breath on his neck, the steady rise and fall of kai's chest that lulls kyungsoo to sleep like when his mother used to sing him lullabies.
 
kai will periodically disappear during the day. sometimes he's not home by the time kyungsoo is getting ready for bed (it's always harder to fall asleep on those nights). but without fail, kai will always be there in the morning, tired eyes and raspy voice whispering a quiet "good morning" to kyungsoo before the elder is fully awake.
 
kyungsoo dreams of black smoke, tiny stars, and dancing silhouettes.
 
 
 
when school starts back, kyungsoo isn't sure what to do. he rises early for his first day of class (he's a freshman; he's stuck with every morning class possible), trying not to wake kai in the process.
 
but of course the younger does wake, rubbing at his sleepy eyes and trying to see what kyungsoo is doing at such a time. "where are you going?" he asks, but it sounds almost like a courtesy question; like he already knows the answer, but feels obliged to ask.
 
"school," kyungsoo says, not sure what to make of kai's tone. "i have a morning class until ten."
 
"i know," kai says, stretching out on the bed like an animal. it reminds kyungsoo of a stray black cat he picked up on his way home in middle school (his mother didn't let him keep it). "you dreamt about it last night."
 
kyungsoo stares at kai, in the middle of buttoning his shirt up.
 
kai stares back as if he had said the most simple thing, like, "it's snowing outside."
 
kyungsoo decides that it would be better for him to ignore the words and head to class so he isn't late. "i'll be back around ten thirty. i might bring friends over, though. is that okay?"
 
kai looks confused for a moment, maybe trying to think too hard. "oh. friends. yeah, okay."
 
kyungsoo tries not to think of the small kiss kai had pressed to his cheek before he could walk out the door all during his english class. it doesn't work.
 
 
 
kyungsoo decides that, sure, he'll invite chanyeol and baekhyun over. they've only been over to his place once or twice, and they haven't seen each other all break. it'll be good for them.
 
"so, have you done anything new? painted the walls? new furniture? a wall clock?" chanyeol shoots questions at kyungsoo left and right on their bus ride to kyungsoo's apartment, baekhyun eventually elbowing him in the side to tell him stop oh my god you're being annoying.
 
kyungsoo just smiles. "no, but i met someone."
 
baekhyun lights up at this. "you met someone? who? what's her name? or is it a he? are they cute? wait, no, that's shallow. are they nice?"
 
it's chanyeol's turn to elbow baekhyun. "who's annoying now?" chanyeol gets a pinch on the arm for that.
 
kyungsoo flushes, trying to will away his blush as his two friends banter back and forth. his face is still bright red by the time baekhyun and chanyeol turn their attention back to him.
 
"oohhh, so he is cute?" baekhyun smirks, poking kyungsoo's cheek as if that'll get him to talk.
 
"yeah, i guess," is the understatement of the century, but it's all kyungsoo can manage to mumble through his embarrassment.
 
when they arrive at kyungsoo's, he opens the door and lets them all in, surprised at how warm his apartment has become. "um, let me go see if he's awake."
 
"oh my god, he's here?" baekhyun almost yells. "kyunggie, i didn't know it was this serious! you should have told us!"
 
kyungsoo ignores his friends gushing and goes to his room to check on kai. "kai? my friends are here," he peeks his head in the door, pleasantly surprised to find kai awake, looking like he's already showered and gotten dressed (where his clothes kept coming from, kyungsoo decided not to ask about).
 
"oh," kai looks up from the book he's reading. "actually, i'm not feeling well. i'll just stay in here. wouldn't want to get anyone sick," the younger smiles, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes.
 
kyungsoo leaves with a quick goodbye before shutting the door behind him. something feels weird. it's cold again.
 
"so, where's your boyfriend?" chanyeol asks, already seated comfortably on the couch, baekhyun under his arm on his right side.
 
"he's not my boyfriend," kyungsoo says stubbornly. "and he said he wasn't feeling well."
 
baekhyun sighs. "another day, then?"
 
"yeah. another day."
 
 
 
another day never comes. it's january 13th, the day after kyungsoo's birthday, and he's sitting in his bed with kai. they're both reading a book, kai's head comfortably resting on kyungsoo's shoulder as the turning of pages fills the silence.
 
"hey kai," kyungsoo starts, his eyes stopping on the word and.
 
"hmm?" kai hums, tilting his head at an odd angle to look up at kyungsoo.
 
kyungsoo flicks his eyes down to kai's face for a moment before he looks away, a familiar red hot feeling beginning to crawl up his neck. "when's your birthday?"
 
kai is silent for a moment, and kyungsoo suspects he's fallen asleep. "tomorrow," he finally says.
 
"tomorrow?" kyungsoo sits up straighter, kai shifting to face him. "why didn't you tell me?"
 
kai shrugs. "dunno. it's not a big deal, really."
 
"of course it is! how old will you be?"
 
kai looks back at kyungsoo, far less excited than the elder. "kyungsoo, i..."
 
kyungsoo's eyebrows furrow when kai doesn't continue. "what is it?"
 
kai sighs, and now kyungsoo thinks he looks much too old for whatever his age is. "i have to tell you something."
 
"anything," kyungsoo responds quickly.
 
kai continues to stare at kyungsoo, breaking eye contact for only a moment. he his lips. "can i-- can i try something first?"
 
"um, sure."
 
kyungsoo's always been a bit slow, maybe somewhat oblivious, so by the time kai's face is only a hair's width from his own, kyungsoo can't do anything but let his eyes flutter closed.
 
kai's lips are soft, softer than kyungsoo ever thought they looked, and they fit with kyungsoo's so perfectly that, if he weren't being kissed, kyungsoo would laugh at the cheesiness of it all. kai sighs softly when he doesn't feel kyungsoo pull away, but reciprocate the kiss instead. his hand finds its way to the back of kyungsoo's neck, tugging on and twirling the hair there in between his long fingers. he swallows the sounds that kyungsoo lets slip through his parted lips, taking every chance he can get to swipe his tongue into the elder's mouth, over his bottom lip.
 
kyungsoo grips the front of kai's shirt in his hands, having to push him away when he can't breath any longer.
 
"kyungsoo," kai breathes, his breath heating up kyungsoo's already swollen lips.
 
"yeah?" kyungsoo asks, too distracted by the immense heat surrounding him, contrasted by the icy touch of kai's hands. it's cold.
 
"kyungsoo i need you to listen to me."
 
"i am."
 
"really, really listen to me."
 
"okay. i am, i promise," kyungsoo is getting a little impatient; he just wants to know what kai has to say.
 
"kyungsoo, i'm not real."
 
kyungsoo really pulls away now, staring kai in the face. "wh... what?"
 
kai bites his bottom lip, worrying it between his teeth as he can't seem to make eye contact with the other. "i'm not real. at least, not to anyone but you."
 
"what are you talking about?" kyungsoo lets out a shaky laugh, and there's a familiar pressure behind his eyes that he's become too acquainted with in the past few months.
 
kai sighs, and it's not like the content sigh he had let out when his lips were on kyungsoo's not even a minute ago. "my real name is kim jongin, and i died two years ago on january fourteenth."
 
kyungsoo stares, eyes probably as wide as plates, but he really doesn't care. kai just told him that he was dead? he can't be dead. he's been here, with kyungsoo, for the past month. they slept together, ate together, went out christmas shopping together. they just kissed for god's sake.
 
taking kyungsoo's silence as a chance to continue, kai -- jongin -- keeps speaking. "i'm a ghost, and the only reason you can see me is because you imagined me. the smoke? that was me. see?" kai ruffles his hair slightly, and something akin to fairy dust falls from his midnight black hair, dissolving in the air right before kyungsoo's eyes.
 
kyungsoo's mind flashes back to the smoke, the dreams, the first time he met kai. the smoke that danced around his fingers was the same way kai's hair would card through his fingers when they would lie in bed together, counting imaginary stars on the ceiling in the middle of the night. kai's warm palm and long fingers are the same ones he felt the same night, larger hands dwarfing his own. the way kai would dance for kyungsoo when they had nothing else to do was the same as the dancing silhouette he would see in his dreams.
 
dreams. that one time, kai said he knew what kyungsoo was dreaming.
 
"are you... i mean, do you... um, can you see my dreams?" kyungsoo asks, and that isn't what he wants to ask at all. he wants to ask why kai is teasing him, why he's being so ridiculous and making up unbelievable stories about ghosts and dreams and whatnot.
 
kai nods. "that's how i knew you had morning classes. you dreamt about being late for class."
 
"and baekhyun and chanyeol?" kyungsoo already knows the answer, but he asks anyway.
 
"i knew they couldn't see me, and i didn't want to... you know..."
 
"make me look crazy?" kyungsoo laughs again, but it suddenly turns into a sob. "i already am crazy."
 
kai reaches forward and pulls kyungsoo onto his lap, resting his chin on the elder's head and letting kyungsoo's tears stain the front of his shirt. "no, no you aren't," he says in a whisper, like he's trying to comfort a crying child. "it's my fault. i shouldn't have come."
 
kyungsoo lets out a shaky breath before speaking. "can't you just stay? forever?"
 
"i..." kai grips the back of kyungsoo's shirt tightly, gathering as much into his hands as he can as if it will keep him there. "i have to leave tomorrow. it's my birthday."
 
"it's not your birthday, it's your deathday," kyungsoo now realizes why kai wasn't so thrilled about his own birthday.
 
"well, in my realm, they're the same thing," kai tries to laugh, tries to lighten the mood. it doesn't work. "believe it or not, ghosts have rules, too. kris said i could only have one year on earth. get whatever i needed to right, all that stuff."
 
kyungsoo sniffles. "well, did you?"
 
"i did, plus," kai pulls back, looking kyungsoo straight in the eye. "i met you. i think everyone else will be jealous," this time kai's smile does reach his eyes, but it's still that sad smile; it's the same one that kyungsoo first saw on the other boy's face.
 
kyungsoo tries to smile too, and maybe kai believes it, maybe he doesn't. but it doesn't matter because it's 11:59 PM and in a few seconds kai will be--
 
gone.
 
he disappears in a flurry of black smoke and twinkling dust, leaving behind nothing.
 
kyungsoo isn't sure whether to laugh or cry.
 
 
 
kyungsoo moves in with chanyeol and baekhyun, not really minding being the third wheel in their finally official relationship. he just leaves whenever they need alone time together, strolling around seoul and going to his favorite ramen shop at odd hours of the night (or morning, depending on how you look at it). he tries not to think of black smoke, stars, or dancing silhouettes, but he can't help but dream of them.
 
the sheets he brought with him to chanyeol and baekhyun's apartment still have a scent, something that smells like smoke and something soft, but kyungsoo has never figured out what it is. the only thing he can think is that it smells like kai. it smells like late mornings in bed, cuddled together to chase the cold away.
 
baekhyun asks him one time what ever happened to his boyfriend (he still uses that word), and kyungsoo just smiles and says "he had to leave." baekhyun sees kyungsoo's eyes, the pull of his lips, and doesn't ask any further. (he briefs chanyeol later when they're alone and chanyeol can't say anything stupid in front of kyungsoo.)
 
 
 
and maybe kyungsoo is crazy, because every time he sees a silhouette, he swears he sees the shadows around them dancing, moving with steps too graceful for anything of this earth (this life, he should say).
 
 
 
it's not until kyungsoo is left to train the new employee at the grocery store does he really accept the fact that angels probably, most definitely exist.
 
"hi, i'm kim jongin. you're kyungsoo, right?"
 
it's hot. far, far too hot.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
~
you. GUISE.
I WROTE SOMETHING OVER 3000 WORDS OMG
it might have been more, but i was on a deadline, and so yeah. this is the product of my procrastination. sorrey.
speaking of, i might re-write another "version" of this because i wanted it to be deeper and less cheesy than this orz
so yeah, hope you enjoyed c:
 
p.s. i guess you could call this a very belated kaisoo birthday present~
p.p.s. anyone who can tell me the significance of the ornaments in relation to exo gets to pick the first OTP written about in my "little things" one-shot collection c: