Drenched in Misery

October 13th

 

 

Droplets of rain cascaded down the window, and the sun was merely a figment of the imagination. The dark grey clouds held it prisoner behind their foggy mist, and the day was cold with misery written all over it. Normally, I would use the car that my mother bought me for my sixteenth birthday as my transportation but, I wasn’t in the driving mood, especially since the car needed new threads anyways. Today was our day off from school and usually your average teenager will be sleeping all day from waking up from those dreadful mornings, working on unfinished assignments, and just chill out from all the stress that school put upon them but I was sitting in the middle of two middle-aged adults who showed no facial expressions while riding a bus filled with people being all crammed. From all the silence I couldn’t believe how no one spoke a single word but, I couldn’t blame them. Must be exciting for them to just strain their eyes while looking at text messages on their cell phones and just having their noses stuck inside those books.


People can such be a bore.


While I scoped around the bus trying to give my eyes some sort of entertainment a business woman caught my attention from the opposite side of the bus. “Those flowers are beautiful.” She said in amazement. My eyes quickly darted at her while a warm smile grown on her face as I looked at the bouquet of flowers that I was holding. She was right, they were beautiful. I then looked up at her again and replied back with a smile. “Thank you.” I spoke softly. “Must be for someone special, I hope.” She said while grasping at the ends of her briefcase. I slowly nodded and then, suddenly my chest became tight. Must be for someone special, I hope. The voice from the woman echoed inside my head as I felt my heart being lodged in my throat. I really didn’t want to think about her, not at this time of place. Just when I get there, I’ll release all my feelings to her. I don’t want a bunch of strangers seeing a crying teenager on a bus. “It is for someone special.” I said. The woman smiled as she nodded her head and then, our conversation went silent as the bus was preparing for its designated bus stop. Once there all the people started to get up from their seats and the silence seemed to fade away from that. Holding the bouquet of flowers the woman that I had the conversation with smiled at me again and said, “Hope those flowers will get their in peace.” When she walked off to the exit I started to walk into the aisle and hopped off from the bus. It was starting to downpour once I had gotten off from the bus and walked on the sidewalk. Throwing the hood on my head my vision was starting to fail on me as I stumbled a bit. Damn, I should have brought an umbrella. Of reaching about two blocks down from the street plus the rain pouring down on the flowers and me out in the distance there was a sign that had read in the distance saying, “Burial Grounds.” Reading from the distance I quickly run to the site, dodging the rain and having not to get my flowers soaked. Finally I reached the gates as I swung them open. Sprinting across the walkway I was trying to look for her tombstone as the rain was still blocking my vision, yet again. Of slowly down my pace a little I looked around trying to find some luck of seeing her tombstone. As I started to pick up the pace again I noticed something. On the side of the path burial ground There was flowers gathered around one of the tombstones including small candles and incenses that were used. Lowering my gaze at the stuff that was cluttered around the tombstone a name appeared on it and it was entitled...


Choi Hyun-Ju, 1970-2012, May your soul rest for eternity.


The feeling that I had since the ride from the bus came back but this time, I couldn’t hold it much longer. Going down on my knees I placed the flowers on the ground as tears began form as they dissolved into the ground. “Wished you stayed a bit longer.” I said hoarsely as I put my hands in my pockets. Tears with the mixture of rain soaked my face. I didn’t managed to wipe my face but when I looked  up at her tombstone all those feelings became present. Why couldn’t she stay longer? Why did she had to go home? Couldn’t she stay longer in order to help my brother and I out? Questions were beginning to exist inside my mind as I stare at the tombstone. Sometimes you can’t answer the question of death as its reasons can be complicated but to me that was ridiculous. I believe that there is an answer that can explain why the person that you loved dearly is out of your life but, it’s so hard to tell. As the rain continually downpoured I felt that I had to go. There was no reason for me to cry at her tombstone all day. Getting up from my knees I slowly walked to her tombstone as I placed one of my hands on it. “I can’t stay long...the rain is getting pretty bad. But, don’t worry...I’ll be back.” I whispered. “Hope you enjoy the flowers.” A brief pause came and I cleared my throat, with a smile that had crept on my face. “And we're cooking Hwajeon tonight...Mother. Your favorite sweet dish.” I slowly backed away from her tombstone and entered the pathway to the exit. The smile that had formed on my face faded away as I started to sob. The woman who loved me until death wasn’t here anymore. With all fairness, my father loved me as well but, my Mother, that was a different story. She gave me motivation every day when she dropped me off from school, sang me hymns during bedtime when I was little, and done so much more for me. I went through the good times and the bad times with her but, I just couldn’t believe that she’s gone from my brother, my father, and me.


I just couldn’t believe it.